FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Am I the only one to find this funny:
8.5 Graphics
Hardly an improvement, but still a step ahead of the opposition.

Fifa08 review:
8.0 Graphics
The same good looking animations and player models return, even if they do move a bit slower. Now if they could only give gamers more control of what's going on.

So the graphics are "hardly improved" yet they graciously give 0.5 extra for no reason?

Considering that the player models are noticeably more realistic looking I fail to see where they get the "hardly an improvement" from, at least they do admit that Fifa is better looking than PES........

Also:
Not that the single-player experience is neglected. Manager Mode is a little fleshed out

Funny that we've been hearing that manager mode is untouched, so how is it fleshed out? Sadly they don't bother telling us, all they tell us is "it's still not as immersive as PES's Master League"............

SCore's not too shabby I suppose...though the game falls victim to its realism aspect once again...don't understand how it can be penalized for that, of all things.

4players.de gave top spin 3 a rating of 67% because it was too realistic.
the should play wii tennis instead..

those reviews are all written by morons and I couldnt care less about the ratings

IGN UK Review

8.0 Presentation
Menus are slick, but with so many they're a little cumbersome.

8.5 Graphics
Hardly an improvement, but still a step ahead of the opposition.

9.0 Sound
The commentary and crowd noises conspire together to create an authentic experience.

8.5 Gameplay
So exactingly realistic it can be off-putting and not without a few gripes, it's still the best FIFA yet.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
The Adidas Live Season will keep it fresh for the next 12 months, and the online modes are a triumph throughout.

8.9 Great Overall

http://feeds.ign.com/~r/ignfeeds/xbox360/~3/403686157/913467p1.html

Would have been around a 9.3 then if the menus wasn't so slow then

i noticed that with the demo

Wonder if they'll be sponsoring PES again ;)

from IGN
"This slavishness to reality may be jarring to those who've plied their trade in other football franchises, and it's fascinating to see how FIFA has now set itself up as the more simulation minded game in opposition to the instant gratification that PES offers."

sounds like they are starting to see sense....but maybe they still love the instant gratification that the mention about PES

the review also says this
'Wet weather returns from EURO 2008, bogging down the pitch with puddles and slowing the play.'

i this true i thought i heard David say that 09 will not have this because it broke responsiveness and stuff....does this mean they have decided to add it in the final build?

i guess its good as long as it does not break responsiveness.

Last edited:
The review was actually pretty decent. I'm not sure if the score matches what the reviewer said. It just seems like he has a different preference for football (PES).

That's the problem with all reviews so far. They prefer PES, and I'm starting to think it's not because of the style of PES but because the game is called PES.

First they preferred PES because it was more realistic. And now they admit that Fifa is more realistic, but it's too realistic. What a joke.

The caption underneath the Wayne Rooney pic in the IGN review:

Wet weather returns from EURO 2008, bogging down the pitch with puddles and slowing the play.

...which is in direct contrast to what has been said over the past 3 pages on this thread/various interviews about how puddle have been removed :LOL:

did they play this game?

8.9 is a good score, but i doubt they will give pes a lower score

I think it's a fair point re: pick up and playability. Imagine being a reviewer who has never played FIFA or PES before - it'd be incredibly difficult to grab FIFA and start doing what you wnated. For most of us this is a good thing as we're seasoned pro's at the games, but I can understand how it could be viewed as a hinderance.

Anyway, I'm massively excited, can't wait. I bought a 360 last year for 08, and a year on (and the obligatory shipping off for fixing) looks like I'll finally get a game I'm satisfied with. Bring. It. On.

Wet weather returns from EURO 2008, bogging down the pitch with puddles and slowing the play.

...which is in direct contrast to what has been said over the past 3 pages on this thread/various interviews about how puddle have been removed :LOL:

did they play this game?

8.9 is a good score, but i doubt they will give pes a lower score

Puddles in !! its great :LOL:

But did they play really the game or its fake review...

8.9 from PES fanboy magazine and they say it's too realistic. I'd say that's pretty impressive and exactly what we realism freaks wanted to hear.

I predict they give PES 9.5 this time.

Its annoying cos Pro was always given plaudits for its realism compared to Fifa. Now Fifa is doing realism suddenly it becomes maybe to realistic.

I think for the longest time PES played such a better game than FIFA, it was more fluid and instinctive, but when you look at it beside a real football game the speed was always way too fast along with the way the ball would whip around too...
I think the jump from PES speed to 08 speed is too much for most PES fans to take, I hope the speed bar will make it easier for the PES addict to at least try FIFA...

This is one of the problems with reviews and such. They almost always color their comments, and are never concise or analytical enough.

In this case, it might be the case of the game having rain that alters the physics evenly on the pitch, and the "puddle" comment is just the reviewer adding a dash of color commentary to the feature. In other words, there might not be actual puddle formations on the pitch where the ball gets stuck, but it is just an unnecessary elaboration on the concept of "rain" from the reviewer.

Two things that perhaps might be improved in manager mode:

1) In the IGN review it says that cup finals are now played at Wembley - that is new right?

2) And if you view the new screenshots over at
http://translate.google.com/transla...read.htm?num=16371&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ko&tl=en

(english translation)
you can see that Man city's homeground under "FOOTBALL GROUND" (they don't have the city of manchester stadium in fifa) isn't Estadio de las Artes is it?. Does this hint that we can choose stadium or at least you will get the right generic stadium for your league? In one of the video's they said that they really wanted to make you feel like you were playing all over the world with new stadiums and different crowds - so it would seem that they wont just chuck everyone in Las Artes?!

What do you reckon?

Last edited:
I think it's a fair point re: pick up and playability. Imagine being a reviewer who has never played FIFA or PES before - it'd be incredibly difficult to grab FIFA and start doing what you wnated. For most of us this is a good thing as we're seasoned pro's at the games, but I can understand how it could be viewed as a hinderance.

A reviewer who has never played Fifa/PES before should not be reviewing Fifa/PES IMO.

It's like me reviewing an RTS game, I hate RTS games and thus would give it a shit review.........

you can see that Man city's homeground (they don't have the city of manchester stadium fifa) is a generic English stadium I think - not Estadio de las Artes. Does this hint that we can choose stadium or at least you will get the right generic stadium for your league?

It was confirmed a long time back that there are more generic stadiums and are assigned for each league as appropriately as possible.......

ruliweb_fifa09_22.jpg

Also I am totally amused by how the generic British arena seems to look like a ruined battlefield from the Second World War!

Back
Top Bottom