FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

£40 - they're the best for trade-ins though, in my experience. Typically they offer £3 more than GAME, sometimes more.

OXM joins Official PS mag and GamesMaster in giving FIFA 09 a 9/10.

They gave FIFA 08 and Euro an 8/10

Cover - Left4Dead

Previews

Silent Hill
Far Cry 2
Skate 2
WWE 09

Reviews

Saints Row 2 - 8
Fracture - 6
Tiger Woods 09 - 8
Brothers in Arms - 8
Viva Pinata: TiP - 8
Warhammer: Battle March - 6
PDC 2008 - 3
Pure - 8
Infinite Undiscovery - 6
Fifa 09 - 9
TNA iMPACT - 5
Hail to the Chimp - 3

Online Reviews

Galaga - 8
Castle Crashers - 8
Zombie Wranglers - 6
Age of Booty - 8

Features

Left4Dead
Rare

from the fifa forums...

Nice one!!

How far is that shop from Glasgow? :-pp

I've preordered mine yesterday at GAME in Buchanan Galleries.

Approximately 10,516 miles, if my calculations are correct:D. Was very surprised because they rarely break release. Cant wait tho and will post first impressions! Odd that a country that has 3 popular football codes gets first taste. A-League ftw! (Yes I know its rubbish. Its all we've got.)

Last edited:
exactly, which would mean everyone and their mothers using manu and bacra all day online

The attributes already do what you guys are talking about but I guess you want it to interfere even more. Not so sure about that though. I rather see passes go bad when trying to pass behind your back or have the ball in a bad position than standing perfect but resulting in a bad pass just because of attributes.

"than standing perfect but resulting in a bad pass just because of attributes"

Well, since it happens in real life, I don't see why it shouldn't find its way into a football simulation. Obviously if the players are in good balance, even a poor defender would be able to strike a good pass with consistent and fair accuracy, but it needs alot more nuance and range than it currently does IMO. :)

Not only possible, but easy. :)

The analog stick allows you to aim anywhere you want, and the stats control how much the pass/shot/cross etc will deviate from the intended aim/power/etc, aswell as make mishits more or less likely.

So just because you give PES manual control over shots rather than the autoaimed ones, you can't hit the top corner every time, because the stats are configured to introduce as much randomized outcomes as real life does.

Obviously, if you suck at using the analog stick, you will have inaccuracy both in the direction you aim the analog stick, aswell as the stats further messing up the ball path. So human skill and practice is required to master the intended aim with the analog stick, and only having the stats of the players in the game introducing unwanted effects to the aim and such. :)

I remember talking about these subjects with you on pesfan before. We had great ideas but if only Konami could listen .
Anyway this thing with players dribbling/shooting/passing with their weak foot is getting at me :brick: .

"than standing perfect but resulting in a bad pass just because of attributes"

Well, since it happens in real life, I don't see why it shouldn't find its way into a football simulation. Obviously if the players are in good balance, even a poor defender would be able to strike a good pass with consistent and fair accuracy, but it needs alot more nuance and range than it currently does IMO. :)

Yeah but mostly a bad pass would be because of him being in a stressful situation and FIFA doesn't simulate that. So I agree that in such situation the chance of a bad pass should be more frequent, but if a defender would totally miss a pass without being pressed it would just piss me off and it would feel that the cpu was trying to cheat. It's a tricky situation because you want to feel in control but also that attributes should play a big role in the game.

Edit: The thing is that on manual controls your own stress will be shown in the game. Because you would not aim as perfect at you do when not under stress, just like when playing real football. I think there should be minor difference in how you aim and the result because of attributes, like it is now. And shooting does not always go where you point, because attributes and position is important here, especially position to the ball.

Last edited:
konami is faking screenshots? :)

000206889.jpg

000206877.jpg

Look at the player on the far left of those PES screenshots! :LOL:

Is he wearing 3/4 lengths?

Those graphics are shocking for this generation - the only in-game screenshot which has looked good is the Totti one.

the good think is that fifa 09 gives no room for me (and the most people i think) to be sad about how wrong pro - evo has gone in 2 years time (pes6 and pes2008 was disappointing for me)

i have no desire to learn about pro-evo anymore

Last edited:
hope this hasnt been posted yet.
i was scratching my head a bit at the penalty shootouts. i couldnt always get the ball to go where i wanted. after some experimenting i realized the shooting doesnt work the same way it does during the game ie the power bar does not serve as a height bar or gauge.

if i just point and hold to the area of the goal i want to shoot at with the left stick and then press and hold the shoot button (the more power the better up until the threshold which is about 3/5 of the bar) then the ball seems to go where i want it to.

again sorry if this is posted already or is common knowledge amongst you all. just trying to help!

i was scratching my head a bit at the penalty shootouts. i couldnt always get the ball to go where i wanted. after some experimenting i realized the shooting doesnt work the same way it does during the game ie the power bar does not serve as a height bar or gauge.

if i just point and hold to the area of the goal i want to shoot at with the left stick and then press and hold the shoot button (the more power the better up until the threshold which is about 3/5 of the bar) then the ball seems to go where i want it to.

again sorry if this is posted already or is common knowledge amongst you all. just trying to help!

Yeah that's just the Fifa way of Penalty's ;))

The way it works, basically, is you have two different aspects of the aim. With your analogue stick you can choose left, right, and middle, and up, down, or straight. That should give you around 9 places, though I'm slightly confused with how the middle aim works.

When you use the power, the more power the further towards the edge of the goal the ball will go. If you shot to the left, it will go further left, if you shot to the right, it goes further right, and if you shoot at the middle, it goes further up.

So, you can probably, basically hit around 15 different areas of the goal by choice (although, it is totally organic and you can hit towards pretty much any bit).

If you hold RB/R1 (depending on console) it does a finesse version, whether this actually makes any gameplay difference, not that sure. You can also use LB, to do a chip shot... but this always goes down center. Don't ask me why.

so what is so bad about thease screen shots ? its only screen shots of the beta game before its released ! i dont give a damn f*ck for EA and konami plans i care about the game and FIFA 09 win compared to what i saw from pes2008 and 2009 videos and improvment key

Back
Top Bottom