FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

transfers are only in up to the 26th august or something, but i guess big transfers like robinho still made it in

I know you can have 10 v 10 online, but how many can you play online from the same console?

So if I had 5 mates round, could we all play on the same team online?

I was thinking about the difficulty settings today, oddly enough it was while I was walking to the loo at work,... anyway I came to the conclusion that they should make the difficulty changes based on teams, maybe even relative to your own team.

What I was thinking was most of the complaints are aimed at stoke becoming real/manu/etc when using the WC difficulty. I am using 08 as an example atm. So maybe they should have a gradient scale whereby only certain teams get upgraded beyond certain levels. For example playing Accrington with Liverpool on WC wouldnt be any different from playing them on PRO because the difference is too big between the two teams. You could even have the same with teams in the same league, stoke/hull/etc don't become any better. The difference is in the upper teams, so Manu/Chelsea/Arsenal become really, really strong making those games all the more interesting, challenging. Atm I don't find it harder to beat Manu or Boro, the difficulty settings just seems to make them all a bit stronger, and too close/similar. They could do it with the team ratings, so 1-2 star teams won't go any higher then semi-pro. Meaning if you go to pro rating they don;t become any harder/better. 3 star teams don't go any higher then pro, 4* WC and 5* up to legendary.

I think they have this system in place somewhat as I find the CL matches (the knockout rounds) to be harder then the league even when playing against poorer teams. But this seems to be a "blanket" making every single team that bit harder which shouldnt be the case.

There would need to be a nice balance, but I think it would make the game better. The general league matches would be fairly simple when using a top team, still a challenge but not ridiculously hard, while the higher the difficulty the tougher the top teams become. I remember experiencing this with PES in the ML (6*). I would be able to beat most of the league without too much hassle but playing the top teams would always be really tough and be so rewarding when winning. It gave it more character aswell.

So good idea or not?

I think anything that makes teams harder/easier to beat based on how good they are is a good idea. I think they have improved it in 09 though, I usually win 2 or 3-0 against Toronto while I struggle to score against Milan.
The Toronto players also seem to make a few more mistakes as well as their keeper being a bit easier to beat.

I think anything that makes teams harder/easier to beat based on how good they are is a good idea. I think they have improved it in 09 though, I usually win 2 or 3-0 against Toronto while I struggle to score against Milan.
The Toronto players also seem to make a few more mistakes as well as their keeper being a bit easier to beat.

Yeah just remember back in the days with SWOS how it was really something special if you could beat AC Milan with your mediocre team. Now, its just nice to win, but it does not really matter against who. Perhaps only which one of your mates.

I like the suggestion for the dummy made a page earlier. How about a dummy shot which ends up as a subtle little pass. You see this all the time where a striker feints a shot and instead lays it of to the player next to him who has a clear shot.

That's only with the demo, retail transfers should be up to 1st September, there might even be some of the loans from 8th September in the game.

versions of the past years allways had the 26. or 28. mentioned in the start up screen as the deadline for implented transfers, as far as i can remember? :SHAKE:

Is anyone else getting pissed off with PES fans just slagging this game off without even trying it...comments like "ive played one game and its crap..same old FIFA" ...what a load of bollocks...or "the shootings shit" ...maybe its because they can't talk about their game as there basically nothing to talk about..who knows but its proper annoying..its obvious they don't like it before they even boot it up then press the shoot button once thinking its going to fly into the top corner and when it doesn't they put it down to poor ball physics..This is really hard for me typing as I have been an PES fan for years and years and have now converted..anyways rant over

Is anyone else getting pissed off with PES fans just slagging this game off without even trying it...comments like "ive played one game and its crap..same old FIFA" ...what a load of bollocks...or "the shootings shit" ...maybe its because they can't talk about their game as there basically nothing to talk about..who knows but its proper annoying..its obvious they don't like it before they even boot it up then press the shoot button once thinking its going to fly into the top corner and when it doesn't they put it down to poor ball physics..This is really hard for me typing as I have been an PES fan for years and years and have now converted..anyways rant over

now you realise it#s not only fifa fans who have a bunch of morons as fans

I know you can have 10 v 10 online, but how many can you play online from the same console?

So if I had 5 mates round, could we all play on the same team online?

There is no confirmation on this either way if my memory serves me correctly, however, I believe you will NOT be able to play in Be a Pro in this way at all. One person per console at maximum.

However, you can play normal matches in this way. On the 360 you can play 4v4, so presumeably on the PS3 you can play 7v7. 7 players on your console, vs 7 against someone else.

This would be in normal cooperative play, rather than a locked-to-a-player system.

how about this one

Originally Posted by Merkleberry Finn View Post
Fifa aint really changed that much since RTWC 98. Think they can get away with having a new gimmick.

Yep, I agree, they are twats.
It is their loss though, not ours - we can still enjoy FIFA 09 while they make themselves get a bit of fun out of the (imo) inferior and unrealistic PES.

As I said in another thread here, FIFA is only a great game when you know how to play it and if you know football well and put the effort into adapting to the game. Those twats however, clearly don't have the football brain or patience to play FIFA, so they resort to playing a much easier game which requires no real tactics or skill...

I've said it before, but there is nothing better in a football game than to spot a run of a player on the other side of the pitch, and play an inch perfect manual long ball through the defence and right to their feet or into the space ahead of them and then placing a manual finish into the bottom corner. FIFA lets you do this, PES doesn't.

PES has had it's time, as Placebo has said - it's become one of those things which you look back on with fond memories but you wouldn't want to play any more, much like SWOS or Kick Off 2.

Hopefully it can come back strongly in the next year or two and be a proper competitor with FIFA so we have two good games, but that is very wishful thinking, not realistic thinking. When you look at the current gap in quality between FIFA and PES, and the gap in the budgets of EA's FIFA team and Konami's PES team, and the talent of the developers on each game, and the attitudes of both companies (EA = Making big strides each year, good PR etc. Konami = complete opposite of that) it looks extremely unlikely to come any time soon, if ever...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is their loss though, not ours - we can still enjoy FIFA 09 while they make themselves get a bit of fun out of the (imo) inferior and unrealistic PES.

As I said in another thread here, FIFA is only a great game when you know how to play it and if you know football well and put the effort into adapting to the game. Those twats however, clearly don't have the football brain or patience to play FIFA, so they resort to playing a much easier game which requires no real tactics or skill...

I've said it before, but there is nothing better in a football game than to spot a run of a player on the other side of the pitch, and play an inch perfect manual long ball through the defence and right to their feet or into the space ahead of them and then placing a manual finish into the bottom corner. FIFA lets you do this, PES doesn't.

PES has had it's time, as Placebo has said - it's become one of those things which you look back on with fond memories but you wouldn't want to play any more, much like SWOS or Kick Off 2.

Hopefully it can come back strongly in the next year or two and be a proper competitor with FIFA so we have two good games, but that is very wishful thinking, not realistic thinking. When you look at the current gap in quality between FIFA and PES, and the gap in the budgets of EA's FIFA team and Konami's PES team, and the talent of the developers on each game, and the attitudes of both companies (EA = Making big strides each year, good PR etc. Konami = complete opposite of that) it looks extremely unlikely to come any time soon, if ever...

I understand your point of view. I´m a PES fan boy, however I played FIFA 08 and Euro 2008 this year because PES is really bad now. But let me tell you something. I never had such satisfaction playing FIFA 08/Euro as I had in PES 3/4/5 times. FIFA is good, is more realistic than pes, but there are many things missing.

Tactics for example. We can´t use our custom tactics online and that´s bad. I used to play with Chelsea just because I liked their 4-3-3 formation. But I would prefer to use that formation in Real Madrid and I couldn´t. FIFA needs more tactical customization online (offline is good and this year is even better).

Also we should have the option to play with D-pad and yeah.. I know the game has 360 degree but what if I prefer to play with D-pad? Doesn´t matter if I loose 360 degree. I just wanted to play with the D-pad because I hate analog.

Tricks, Skills, feints. Yeah it´s nice seeing them on youtube but the system could be more intuitive and less tricks (no one starts kicking the ball in the air in the middle of a match). They should left that stuff for their fifa street.

And an important thing.. Goalkeeper Cursor is needed! I used to suffer many goals from cutbacks because I couldn´t move my keeper to the middle of the goal. It is even necessary when your oponnent is in a clear 1on1 situation with your keeper. You should be able to move him.

As a football lover I appreciate the tactical mind games, and it´s a shame to me that FIFA doesn´t let you customize your tactics online. Those points I refered annoys me too much to say "I love FIFA as I loved PES". FIFA is better now, but no way it is a masterpiece. It is just... better for now...

hope PES kids fanboys can understand this wonderful words from ya ,, i really was one of PES fans but after playing fifa 08 and EURo 2008 ,, i hated konami and PES coz they are dump and cheated me alot .. i cant wait for this masterpeace fifa 09 anymore :/

I understand your point of view. I´m a PES fan boy, however I played FIFA 08 and Euro 2008 this year because PES is really bad now. But let me tell you something. I never had such satisfaction playing FIFA 08/Euro as I had in PES 3/4/5 times. FIFA is good, is more realistic than pes, but there are many things missing.

Tactics for example. We can´t use our custom tactics online and that´s bad. I used to play with Chelsea just because I liked their 4-3-3 formation. But I would prefer to use that formation in Real Madrid and I couldn´t. FIFA needs more tactical customization online (offline is good and this year is even better).

Also we should have the option to play with D-pad and yeah.. I know the game has 360 degree but what if I prefer to play with D-pad? Doesn´t matter if I loose 360 degree. I just wanted to play with the D-pad because I hate analog.

Tricks, Skills, feints. Yeah it´s nice seeing them on youtube but the system could be more intuitive and less tricks (no one starts kicking the ball in the air in the middle of a match). They should left that stuff for their fifa street.

And an important thing.. Goalkeeper Cursor is needed! I used to suffer many goals from cutbacks because I couldn´t move my keeper to the middle of the goal. It is even necessary when your oponnent is in a clear 1on1 situation with your keeper. You should be able to move him.

As a football lover I appreciate the tactical mind games, and it´s a shame to me that FIFA doesn´t let you customize your tactics online. Those points I refered annoys me too much to say "I love FIFA as I loved PES". FIFA is better now, but no way it is a masterpiece. It is just... better for now...

Tactics if u complain about online so dont coz PES give us the badest online ever in PES2008 - and EA fixed the tactics things in 09

D-pad you can play with the d-pad in fifa 09 now :) and or the analog

Tricks, Skills, feints all this skills already in a real life soccer and you dont know when the players gonna do them and sprise us with them so its relastic and its about to you if u wanna do them or not :) and PES give us only 4 real life tricks !!

Goalkeeper Cursor the crosses in real life its the hardest moments for the keepers its relastic and in fifa 09 i tried that and its worked but not 100%

Tactics if u complain about online so dont coz PES give us the badest online ever in PES2008 - and EA fixed the tactics things in 09

D-pad you can play with the d-pad in fifa 09 now :) and or the analog

Tricks, Skills, feints all this skills already in a real life soccer and you dont know when the players gonna do them and sprise us with them so its relastic and its about to you if u wanna do them or not :) and PES give us only 4 real life tricks !!

Goalkeeper Cursor the crosses in real life its the hardest moments for the keepers its relastic and in fifa 09 i tried that and its worked but not 100%

Where can I change the setting to play with the D-pad? is it possible in the demo? Sorry then... didn´t know that :)

Yeah mate I know EA fixed the tactics. They´re awesome allowing you to choose the team organization and stuff. But I just want all options to be avaiable online. Like Player position Edit, individual runs like PES, you understand? :)

edit: I found where we can change the d-pad setting. Thanks and sorry :)

Last edited:
Where can I change the setting to play with the D-pad? is it possible in the demo? Sorry then... didn´t know that :)

Yeah mate I know EA fixed the tactics. They´re awesome allowing you to choose the team organization and stuff. But I just want all options to be avaiable online. Like Player position Edit, individual runs like PES, you understand? :)

you can select your own control system when the demo star it ask you about the difficalty and then the control so you have to choose between ( classic - new - or custom ) so you can custom your own :) and about the tactics fifa fix this in 09 dont worry hope i helped ya out there and sorry for my bad english :)

edit: I found where we can change the d-pad setting. Thanks and sorry :)

did it work ?

IMO the point isnt to play just a 100% simulation of football (that would be uncontrollable and boring....) the point is to play a GAME that lets us controll footballers 11v11...and the most skilled RL player to win not the one who has the higher stats....
Thus in order for KONAMI to compete with EA they should ditch all that stat mumbo jumbo and pre match tactics....just make all players the same skill...as its in FIFA...

versions of the past years allways had the 26. or 28. mentioned in the start up screen as the deadline for implented transfers, as far as i can remember? :SHAKE:

Well remember I'm a data editor ;) We were told to have all the final transfers done in time for the end of 1st September and I was given the impression that they would feature in the retail version :)

Back
Top Bottom