FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

After watching this Villa v West Brom team on TV i think Villa may well be the team for me on 09

Barry passing it around in midfield or hoofing it up to the target man Carew with Agbonlahor and Young bombing down the wings whipping in crosses for Big John :))

Those screenshots look great. I pray the night time lighting is fixed for the final version, then the game will be close to perfect this year.

FSB, Nick. :)

Suff played a close-to-final-version of FIFA 09 courtesy of EA, and posted his impressions. When comparing it to the demo he said there are definite differences. He specifically said it's as if they've had to take a lot of animations out.
What about the graphics on the PS3?

My first team experience will be with Juve, I will dive straight in manager mode and after I complete a season I will start playing some ranked live games, and lastly join my forum league.

In Manager Mode when you buy a player from a club do they automatically accept if you pay the right amount or does the club negotiate on a price? I havent played manager mode in about 9 years and I remember there was no real depth regarding the transfer side to it. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the changes that have taken place to this mode. I plan to start a Manager Mode and Master League in both FIFA 09 and PES 2009 this year. Thanks. :)

The only game I keep going back to for my career mode fix is SWOS 96-97. That had the best mangerial mode ever. :)

I still can't get the correct free-kicker that I want. What am I doing wrong here ??

I played as Chelsea, set Lampard as Left,Right corner taker, Direct and Long Direct Free kick taker and then I got a free kick just around the corner area and Ballack is on it. That is an obvious guy I want in my box but I can't change kickers here. Could someone tell me how to select a crossing free-kick taker....:blush:

Is this just not possible at all ? :COAT:

In Manager Mode when you buy a player from a club do they automatically accept if you pay the right amount or does the club negotiate on a price? I havent played manager mode in about 9 years and I remember there was no real depth regarding the transfer side to it. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the changes that have taken place to this mode. I plan to start a Manager Mode and Master League in both FIFA 09 and PES 2009 this year. Thanks. :)
They negotiate. They can reject you outright and say things like "the X manager is offended at the pitiful amount offered for X", accept it and say "the club reluctantly accepts your offer for X" or negotiate and say "the club would like to see a little more sincerity in your offer for X".

Something i did notmanage in FIFA08 is score a goal from a free kick...i've read that other people have similar problems...what has to be done ???

PS: and yesterday evening i got the first opponents' goal from a free kick in almost a year.

@ Trance Allstar

Hi T

In response to your post over in the Pes thread, I would like to eloborate further.

I find the response to be an issue for me to enjoy the game. it is more responsive than 08 (which I found unplayable) but its still slugish when it comes to shooting and passing just after you receive the ball.

You are right when you mention that its too responsive when they trap the ball, which happens instantly, especially from very long balls, it then has to let the animation unfold before your commands are carried out.

In the arena, run at full pelt toward the goal and press the shoot button, i find the player takes a further 2-3 paces before releasing the shoot button. now thats fine in the vast open, non pressurising space there, but have that in a game and its the difference between getting a shot off and not, which is why it can frustrate some.

You just feel, its not doing what you want it to, when you want it done. I also struggle with the running animation which sometimes feels they are running against an 80mph wind, that feeling of running through treacle is till there for me yet its still an improvement on 08.

Animations are fantastic but I think this adds a mask to the core problems that remain from 08, it feels less clunky because they turn slightly quicker and adjust the balance better but its still not as fluid as it could be (Pes mentality I am afraid)and as a consequence it just frustrates me.Tricks are also almost impossible to pull off in a game situation at the right time.

Its interesting to read that they have left a load of animations out the demo, so I do beleive the final game will be improved, however I have the same feeling i had with 08 & euro and I sold them not long after playing.

I just know i may aswell throw the towel in on this one rather than spend £40, be dissapointed, sell it on and wish i'd never bothered.

I found PES5 to be the best game I have played on the 360 yet and for all Konami's clear arrogance and lack of next gen innovation, i beleive its taken a step toward to what it was and that is what I prefer.

I dont want anyone lambasting me because i don't like it because its my choice, but I hope you all enjoy it because clearly you all love it............that's great for you.

Enjoy;))

Hey mate. :)

I agree with most points you make. :)

To be honest I hadn't really been bothered about the shooting or passing responsiveness. When running full clip, from what I've played on the demo, the player seems to shoot just as he reaches the ball, seeing that he usually kicks the ball ahead of himself when sprinting and thus he would be unable to shoot until he catches up to the ball. If I imagine myself on the pitch sprinting after the ball, I imagine I would need some moments to adjust myself for a powerful shot. Not only catch up to the ball, but also get my footing right and sort of "get into the flow" before I can get control, balance to unleash a shot.

The Reason PES5 for example was good at this was that they basically cheated and let the player shoot without having to worry about his footing. For example, just as he was going to plant his right foot in the ground to keep himself upright, he would instead pull that foot back to shoot with it, and in real life he would've just collapsed if he had done that. They don't have to worry about using their feet to keep themselves from falling to the ground, and thus they can really kick a ball regardless of where in the running animation they are. It's sort of like the players being suspended by cables on their hips, and being able to just lift their feet off the ground and hang there.

So in that aspect, looking as the players footing in FIFA09, usually you can see that the player did in fact shoot as quickly as possible, since the feet don't slide around, and he actually needs to follow through with footing etc, for example planting his left foot before he can shoot with the right.

But there is one more nuance to this, and that is that in real life, you still have control over how quickly you want to execute certain moves. So if you want a really powerful shot you might need to really do proper, quite slow movements when setting up for the shot. But, you could also tiptap with your feet quickly just to get them in place for a shot, and perhaps sacrificing a bit of potential power for a more quick "snapshot" that doesn't require forceful movements or the leg being pulled back as much etc. And in FIFA, I feel that the programming doesn't allow you do do things as quickly as they "could" have been done. There's sort of an emphasis on slow forceful moves rather than quick light ones, if you will.

My original post where I discussed the "Responsive/Close control" would solve this problem more or less, since a button would allow you to choose if the player should do things slowly/powerfully or quickly/lightly, etc. So depending on how much room you have to the nearest defender, you could allow the player to do a proper forceful shot animation, or a quick more sloppy less forceful one.
Normally you'd perhaps expect the shot power bar to scale the forcefulness of the shot, but that is more of a heightbar than power, and the player shot animation seems to be pretty much the same whether you tap the button once or hold for more power.
Also since LT is analog, you could have a analog choice for power vs. speed depending on how depressed the button is. Though that probably might be a bit much, perhaps it would be enough with 3 stages, not depressed, 50% depressed and fully depressed.

As for running animations, yeah, now that you mention it, the "running against the wind" one seems to describe it quite well. Not only the arm movements like they are swimming against the wind, but also their upper bodies looking like they are being forced more upright by the wind.

And, to be completely honest, I am sort of curious about PES2009. 2008 had some great features gameplaywise I felt, among the complete rubbish things. And the Dribbling modes in PES seem better than FIFA09, particularly the R2 dribbling which I loved in PES2008. I'll probably get tired of PES2009 after 5 games or so though because of the lack of analog passing and such. :/

Last edited:
They negotiate. They can reject you outright and say things like "the X manager is offended at the pitiful amount offered for X", accept it and say "the club reluctantly accepts your offer for X" or negotiate and say "the club would like to see a little more sincerity in your offer for X".

Thanks Chris. :)

It needs alot more work though I doubt anything will alter on 09... :((

I still can't get the correct free-kicker that I want. What am I doing wrong here ??

I played as Chelsea, set Lampard as Left,Right corner taker, Direct and Long Direct Free kick taker and then I got a free kick just around the corner area and Ballack is on it. That is an obvious guy I want in my box but I can't change kickers here. Could someone tell me how to select a crossing free-kick taker....:blush:

You can alter you defined corner or free kick taker by pressing and holding the "Through ball" button. A name of the kicker (along with his abilities and preferred foot) will appear in the corner of the screen. By pressing the arrow keys you can change the corner taker...

Am I the only person who the first thing I do when I load FIFA or PES for the first time is turn all the music off and keep it off... It's weird as I do like some of the tunes they have had but ever since SWOS, which I always kept on and was the same tune over and over I can't stand the menu music in Footy titles!...

Am I the only person who the first thing I do when I load FIFA or PES for the first time is turn all the music off and keep it off... It's weird as I do like some of the tunes they have had but ever since SWOS, which I always kept on and was the same tune over and over I can't stand the menu music in Footy titles!...

I absolutely love ISS the music those titles had.

Menu Music: YouTube - International Superstar Soccer 64 - Menu music

Menu Music: YouTube - International SuperStar Soccer 98 - GAMEPLAY

Intro: YouTube - International SuperStar Soccer 2000 - INTRO - Nintendo 64

Intro: YouTube - International SuperStar Soccer 98 - INTRO - Nintendo 64

You can alter you defined corner or free kick taker by pressing and holding the "Through ball" button. A name of the kicker (along with his abilities and preferred foot) will appear in the corner of the screen. By pressing the arrow keys you can change the corner taker...

Not in Fifa09 you can't, don't know what you're talking about.......

Back
Top Bottom