FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I've updated your original post and fixed the links. :thumbup:

It's an interesting review. I like the way they say it's frustrating to be "cheated by a lucky bounce" but in the PES review they don't say "half the deflections will land inch-perfectly at the feet of an oncoming opposition player, over and over and over again, because the game isn't using a real physics engine and therefore can hardly qualify as real football"...

Also, the way they say that they prefer PES's "40-yard belters", yet years ago they would say "FIFA is crap because it's so easy and every goal is a crazy spectacular wonder-goal from 40 yards out".

All the negative reviews seem to say the same thing, "it's too realistic to be fun"; so EA can't win with them, because in the past PES won all the accolades for being the "most realistic" and FIFA was "too arcade".

Last edited:
I've updated your original post and fixed the links. :thumbup:

It's an interesting review. I like the way they say it's frustrating to be "cheated by a lucky bounce" but in the PES review they don't say "half the deflections will land inch-perfectly at the feet of an oncoming opposition player, over and over and over again, because the game isn't using a real physics engine and therefore can hardly qualify as real football"...

thanks CB :) and yep funny isn't it o well I should just ignore magazines from now on can't believe I used to depend on their opinion before a purchase!

It usual bias bs same every year oh well one person opinion end of day.

Cant beleive still can give game 88% yet say it lacks ideas i had enough of same old experience yonks ago.

All reviewers are biased in one way or another with many of the current people we see reviewing both games being people who grew up adoring PES. There is just no way that we will see an unbiased magazine review of any footy game

Anyone else think the ref plays advantage for far too long?

And I've just fouled their player in my area, play on, they score ... but the ref pulls it back for a penalty :SHAKE:

Most of us know what football game is going to better this year and its clearly FIFA 09. Less than 2 weeks left till we have the game in our hands.

And I've just fouled their player in my area, play on, they score ... but the ref pulls it back for a penalty :SHAKE:
Quite a few people have mentioned advantage problems, they certainly have in this thread somewhere in the last three or four pages. And the GamesMaster review mentions it as well, which I like to see; it's a very positive review but then they prove that A) they're not just copy-and-pasting EA's own PR and B) they've actually sat down and given the game a good play.

The second thing you mention was in FIFA 08 as well if I remember rightly, shame it's not been fixed yet.

Yeh and another point with they play on far to long you skinned a defender through on goal and ref blows whistle pulls it back.

So annoying happened when was playing against friend in mp last night so many times but same thing was in fifa 08 so nothing new but hoping be fixed.

1- crossing: its realy hard to cross now and when u cross the ball will not be delivered to your CF or even near him ,,

2- passing: too slow to respond by the players

3-high through pass its not like before its useless for me now in euro 2008 it was wonderfull

1. Hold the cross button longer. I had that problem at first, but then I adapted to it.

2. I disagree, I think it's perfect.

3. High through balls are probably the way I've been scoring the most goals, so... Disagree as well. :)

I trust review from the guys over here (Airjoca and CB having a special mention) because last year when they tried the demo of FIFA 08 and after the complete game everything they said about it was true as i experienced it myself. This is why negative reviews won't bother me at all

Had mates playing poker with me other night. Then others left and we continued evening with FIFA 09 demo. First comment about it was mate telling how good crosses are compared to PES. He is "HC PES player" so it was very honest truth. It's so much harder(realistic) to make usefull cross, but same time you have alll the opportunities to cross how ever you want and where to you want.

PES players can't understand how this game is played. Like Dr Force moaning about the slowliness of the game and "repetitive" goals. Maybe they need a shallow game, where SQUARE scores, CIRCLE crosses to the head of your striker and X makes a perfect marble ball pass and you can turn in a dime. I'm really sorry to the people that is missing all the impressive things I'm having with the demo.

Today I scored some goals I had never seen in a video game, like Snejder shooting from long range and I watched Raul getting into the trajetory of the ball. I pressed square and Raul got a header completely changing the ball's path and fooling the keeper.

Impressive. Having lots of things that were impossible in other footy games.

I haven't scored a ''repetitive'' goal yet

all been different so far

score my 1st bicycle kick and header surprising the keeper :) and a scorcher of a finesse I ran onto from an angle so realistic

i haven't yet seen a repetitive goal, but 1 i see and i don't like it(of course it's the CPU goal) is the header. the header usually floating and lob the keeper,who gone out far away from the line, and i see this quite sometimes. annoy me a bit.

Celebration mode is killing me :( this game is über awesome, but I don't even want to score all because the stupid camera when scoring! (dynamic camera)

doh...the advantage need to be tweak. when i fouled the CPU,the ref giving advantage far too long. and when it comes to me, bleh. few second the flags already down

Celebration mode is killing me :( this game is über awesome, but I don't even want to score all because the stupid camera when scoring! (dynamic camera)
I don't know how you can find the game fun on Dynamic (V1 or V2), they seem way too close and show very little of the pitch, and when FIFA relies on passing more than dribbling, I think being able to see all your options is crucial.

I think you should switch to Tele cam ;)) It can now be tweaked remember. Maybe Dynamic could even be tweaked so that you don't get the problem...

God the last time I was there the the top down camera would have been nearer the mark... :LOL:
Haha! :w00t:

I've been there myself as well, not for a match, just for a tour - it is a spectacular stadium - you don't realise just how big it is until you see it in person. That said, I still think Old Trafford is a better stadium, seems to have a better atmosphere about it.

It would be good if you could use the Tele cam in the arena, just to practice shooting really - it's a lot different shooting sideways on Tele cam in a match than it is shooting forwards from the Pro cam in the arena.

have some of you noticed that you may get get more response from players by holding the pace control button. at least i do

have some of you noticed that you may get get more response from players by holding the pace control button. at least i do
Yes :)) It is very useful and I use it a lot, the dragback to turn thing looks great and is very effective for creating space, and is fairly easy to do with a bit of practice.

Also, is anyone else using the lob pass to lob the keepers? I think it is easier to get it over the keeper and down than with the normal chipped shot.

Just noticed something really interesting.

I was playing against Madrid, Ramos got a red and instantly the CPU subed Raul off for Torres now they have 4 in defence again, in 08 the CPU would just leave that position vacant.

Nice job EA

Of course, tele camera zoomed out, but I lower it 4 notches, just to match the angle I have in the Cam Nou here in Barcelona hehe.

Aah yes I remember that view well, sitting with the home fans, when I watched the mighty LFC beat you 1-2 a few seasons ago in the Champions League. Riise and Bellamy, I liked it, good view!!! he he he

Back
Top Bottom