FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Haha, I got the last two fine, but the first one has been going for five minutes and it's only an eighth of the way down... I'll wait for someone to mirror it methinks...!

Hey guys,

A bit late to the party and to the forums but just finally got a chance to play the demo for an extended period of time. Even went so far as to load up FIFA 08 and Euro just to do a little chronological comparison. 09 is incredible. It feels even snappier than Euro in my opinion. I love the fact that the goal finally looks bigger/goalkeeper looks smaller. Always looked like there was a giant back there defending and now there's actually space to squeak goals by. I scored a breakaway with Drogba and actually felt like I placed the ball exactly where I wanted it to go. Really can't wait for 09 to come out.

That said, anybody else notice the difference in how the players move as compared to FIFA 08? In 08 the running animation looked so smooth and fluid. In Euro they tweaked it to have more of a "bounce" to it. It looks almost rigid at times. In 09 it seems even more exaggerated. Why'd they change it? The movement of the players looked perfect (aside from collisions and whatnot) that I'm very curious as to why they felt the need to make that change.

That's really my only "gripe" with the game. I guess you don't really notice it when you're fully into the game and it's definitely a nit-picky thing, but it is something that caught my attention and raised the question.

I dont think you can force opponent to your controller settings (i.e. all manual), I still have not seen anything about it. I asked in the EA fifa forums, not like they are know it all, but no one seemed to agree with that. I was still looking for confirmation on that, anyone confirm?

I dont think you can force opponent to your controller settings (i.e. all manual), I still have not seen anything about it. I asked in the EA fifa forums, not like they are know it all, but no one seemed to agree with that. I was still looking for confirmation on that, anyone confirm?

Pretty sure you can't force someone, but I do remember reading somewhere that you'll be able to see what configuration they are using before you actually enter a game with them. I would assume that also means there is the potential for "all manual" lobbies and stuff like that.

Guys After a deep gameplay in this master peace demo i think FIFA 09 will be the best footy game for years now its wonderful for anyone realy love soccer and a real fan of any team in the world coz its make you live the match and every moment in it ,, but thers is some points plz EA fix them and it will be 100% all the day playing game :

1- crossing: its realy hard to cross now and when u cross the ball will not be delivered to your CF or even near him ,,

2- passing: too slow to respond by the players

3-high through pass its not like before its useless for me now in euro 2008 it was wonderfull

thats all for me wish EA fix them thanks

Don't know why but on one of those pics in the scans, I am almost sure that it is a PS3 pic. The reason for this is that the Nets look a lot more loose on the Juve in the box pic. The 360 version's nets are tighter and don't animate as well. I think I will stick with the PS3 version. Player models are looking improved as well. Good to read that the shooting is great.

lol, for the millionth time, the net tensity varies in each stadium. the stadiums in both demos are different.

Don't know why but on one of those pics in the scans, I am almost sure that it is a PS3 pic. The reason for this is that the Nets look a lot more loose on the Juve in the box pic. The 360 version's nets are tighter and don't animate as well. I think I will stick with the PS3 version. Player models are looking improved as well. Good to read that the shooting is great.

If it's a matter of knowing which one is the lead platform I'm almost certain the FIFA franchise (and nearly all EA Sports titles at this point) are developed on PS3 first. FIFA is always demoed on a PS3 for live events and stuff like that.

i think the net varies in each stadium mate. so, ps3 and xb360 demo had different stadium right. anyway,i love the ps3 digital adboard. sweet. :LOL:

biggest problem for me is the slow reaction from the player who receiving a pass and also stupid goalkeeper. the ball he suppose to catch easily,he won't do it. he will stood there waiting for the ball until the opponent shoot to the goal he will only dive. sigh

To those moaning about the way weaker:

I had the same annoyment at the beggining :((, but now I don't find Toronto to be difficult anymore. I can win them almost everytime, it's just a matter od adjusting your tactics to your opponent, and it feels so great and so deep in the demo that I can't stop trying different things. Oh, and I play intermediate, don't like very much the level of cheats in World Class :ROLL:. Intermediate makes it far more realistic to me.

Try with different tactics settings and different formations and you'll see the difference. One of the critical points of Fifa and Euro was the way all the teams played the same. That's really great in fifa 09. That's what I've found:

Toronto presses a lot your defense, you'll have to break the pression to beat them. It's not hard once you know the trick. It's easy to pass around the back four or the DM until one of them receives the ball with a little of space. Then you simply run upwards breaking the first pression line and all the field is your then to try long balls or through passes to your wingmen, or even pivoting with your striker is quite effective to create spaces. It's difficult to mark the tall striker, just don't let them cross, I even foul them when they try to mount a counter and I'm in inferiority, just like I would in real life, even if I get a card. Their midfield and defense is positionally weak and slow. The keeper is not very good ;)).

Marseille plays a counterattack play, relying on the speed and shooting of Cissé. You can play them by pressing their defenders high up and passing a lot when in possession, not letting them run, try to make tactical fouls to break their counters. Playing against them makes for an open match most of the times. The keeper is short, shoot up and try diagonal shots and he won't reach the ball.

Schalke tries to outmuscle you and crosses a lot, playing Kuranyi as a reference and Altintop and Farfan looking for spaces. If you go physical against them, you'll loose. Their midfield is strong but the defenders are slow. You can try possession and slow play when you're attacking static, not risking the ball, playing a lot of 1-2s and sometimes letting them go up and hit them quickly on a counter and they'll suffer :EASY:.

Milan are slow, really, if you run against them, they will suffer! But they can destroy you if you give them too much possession, because the forwards are really skillfull and can skin your defense pretty easy. I try to outrun their wings and cross a lot against them. Or play with a paceful striker and do long balls.

Madrid are the most fun team to play against :TWIST:. They play an open attacking style of play. That means you will have chances, but they also will. They score easily, so don't try to attack them openly everytime or they will find space. The best way to playh them is a physical play, trying to slow the pace of the game, making it dirty and ugly to watch, but effective.

Chelsea are powerful and quick, they're like a chameleon because they can combine most of the other teams ways to play. If you are weak in the midfield, you'll suffer. To me it's the most difficult team to beat.

To conclude, I' found great differences by changing the sliders and the players. Maybe if you watch only the individuality theere isn't enough difference in certain aspects, such as the tackling, but it's the result of eleven players plus tactics that makes your team weak or strong, and I like it. It's a GENERAL overview, sometimes you get lucky and score and sometimes you don't and yuo loose.

Of course there is room for improvement... a lot! And you have the feeling that scoring a goal will change the balance of the play and the way the game develops, and I love it. In the demo, when I score I can easily have more chances as the other team stretches to look for an equilizer, and against weaker teams I feel that if I score 1, I will score 2 or 3 and many times it's like that.

It's not perfect, though. Pression is a little bit overdone in my opinion and sometimes Strenght is too definitory, and skill is kind of hammered by strength, but it's a long way from euro and I hope that all those things don't get lost in the final build. I also hope that in the full game, playing 6 or 7 minutes per half will accentuate the difference, because stamina plays a big part in fifa (in euro it was ignored) and the score really changes the way it plays.

I will have two styles in this game: the finesse possession pure Barcelona style to bring my mates to boredom and then sting them quickly and the dirty dog fighting, long shooting and heading play of the premier.

Oh, and manual thourgh ball needs a tweak right now! It's to slow to power up!

Having not played the demo for over a week, I've just fired it up and, for some reason, the Slow speed really did feel slow! Had a cracking few games, some lovely build-up play and really enjoyed it again :))

I also think that playing on Intermediate is a better game as well.

I tried playing it today, however, with a flu the game just feels weird so I turned the 360 off.

But before I got sick, I played a few games in a row, and I continue to enjoy the plays, the passing and I'm loving the long balls which work perfectly now.

To those moaning about the way weaker:

I had the same annoyment at the beggining :((, but now I don't find Toronto to be difficult anymore. I can win them almost everytime, it's just a matter od adjusting your tactics to your opponent, and it feels so great and so deep in the demo that I can't stop trying different things. Oh, and I play intermediate, don't like very much the level of cheats in World Class :ROLL:. Intermediate makes it far more realistic to me.

Try with different tactics settings and different formations and you'll see the difference. One of the critical points of Fifa and Euro was the way all the teams played the same. That's really great in fifa 09. That's what I've found:

Toronto presses a lot your defense, you'll have to break the pression to beat them. It's not hard once you know the trick. It's easy to pass around the back four or the DM until one of them receives the ball with a little of space. Then you simply run upwards breaking the first pression line and all the field is your then to try long balls or through passes to your wingmen, or even pivoting with your striker is quite effective to create spaces. It's difficult to mark the tall striker, just don't let them cross, I even foul them when they try to mount a counter and I'm in inferiority, just like I would in real life, even if I get a card. Their midfield and defense is positionally weak and slow. The keeper is not very good ;)).

Marseille plays a counterattack play, relying on the speed and shooting of Cissé. You can play them by pressing their defenders high up and passing a lot when in possession, not letting them run, try to make tactical fouls to break their counters. Playing against them makes for an open match most of the times. The keeper is short, shoot up and try diagonal shots and he won't reach the ball.

Schalke tries to outmuscle you and crosses a lot, playing Kuranyi as a reference and Altintop and Farfan looking for spaces. If you go physical against them, you'll loose. Their midfield is strong but the defenders are slow. You can try possession and slow play when you're attacking static, not risking the ball, playing a lot of 1-2s and sometimes letting them go up and hit them quickly on a counter and they'll suffer :EASY:.

Milan are slow, really, if you run against them, they will suffer! But they can destroy you if you give them too much possession, because the forwards are really skillfull and can skin your defense pretty easy. I try to outrun their wings and cross a lot against them. Or play with a paceful striker and do long balls.

Madrid are the most fun team to play against :TWIST:. They play an open attacking style of play. That means you will have chances, but they also will. They score easily, so don't try to attack them openly everytime or they will find space. The best way to playh them is a physical play, trying to slow the pace of the game, making it dirty and ugly to watch, but effective.

Chelsea are powerful and quick, they're like a chameleon because they can combine most of the other teams ways to play. If you are weak in the midfield, you'll suffer. To me it's the most difficult team to beat.

To conclude, I' found great differences by changing the sliders and the players. Maybe if you watch only the individuality theere isn't enough difference in certain aspects, such as the tackling, but it's the result of eleven players plus tactics that makes your team weak or strong, and I like it. It's a GENERAL overview, sometimes you get lucky and score and sometimes you don't and yuo loose.

Of course there is room for improvement... a lot! And you have the feeling that scoring a goal will change the balance of the play and the way the game develops, and I love it. In the demo, when I score I can easily have more chances as the other team stretches to look for an equilizer, and against weaker teams I feel that if I score 1, I will score 2 or 3 and many times it's like that.

It's not perfect, though. Pression is a little bit overdone in my opinion and sometimes Strenght is too definitory, and skill is kind of hammered by strength, but it's a long way from euro and I hope that all those things don't get lost in the final build. I also hope that in the full game, playing 6 or 7 minutes per half will accentuate the difference, because stamina plays a big part in fifa (in euro it was ignored) and the score really changes the way it plays.

I will have two styles in this game: the finesse possession pure Barcelona style to bring my mates to boredom and then sting them quickly and the dirty dog fighting, long shooting and heading play of the premier.

Oh, and manual thourgh ball needs a tweak right now! It's to slow to power up!

Absolutely spot on, you can definitely feel the different kind of approach from team to team, great tactical work from EA. This is one of the best posts i've seen lately, cheers drekkard!

I didn't have much time to play this demo yet. But now I played some matches and I'm having difficulties with through passes. They seem to lack power if I hold the button longer. Am I doing something wrong?

Did anyone see Playr today?

They had some fifa 09 on and one goal they showed looks very impressive. Gerrard was standing near the penalty spot with the ball - he then put his foot on the top, rolled it backwards and then flicked / back heeled the ball towards the goal behind him and it went into the back of the net. But then did leave me wondering - if the morons at playr can score those goals then does that mean we'll see it all the time?

about the through pass,Ferraritim, i do feel the same. just need to tweak a bit more cuz the pass seems to be weak. and if i press much longer the ball will blow over.

I wasn't aware that Be A Pro had the option for friends to join into your matches at any time, and even play as the opposition, that's really cool, although the review says it's three seasons when it is four I believe?

Good review anyways.

According to ThomasGOAL over in the PES thread, PES 2009 got 88% in this month's PSM3, whilst FIFA 09 got 83%. Bit disappointing, especially since they actually say about PES, "everything is the same" and "the lack of changes is starting to grate". They must be very very patient, that started to grate with me around PES4/5...

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture003-2.jpg

look at the above picture lol at the reviewer did they forget in fifa that you can actually have an ''any'' control the defence and other plays not been used I plan on having a fifa club team of ''4'' players and me as the any and I love controlling the defence rather than letting the cpu do it! what a shite opinion! you can still focus on attackers and midfielders if you want to but also gives the option for som1 to control the D if they wish 2! fucking shit head of a reviewer (giving you more choices is bad apparently)

PSM reviews Fifa 09
83/100

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture001-2.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture002-2.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture003-2.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture004-1.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture006-1.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/jjlobban/Picture005-1.jpg

They also reviewed PES 2009 in the same mag and gave it 88/100

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom