FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I have a litle bit trouble with the "peculiar" camera angle when you take a corner...that is my only very litle negative point. Otherwise it's great.

I'm loving the demo so far, but there are a few glitches I'm hoping to be fixed in the final:

- far too much curl on free kicks
- advantage rule is a mess
- no own goals

I'm still surprised how much EA have improved the game. I can't remember any (annual) sports game series that has made such a great jump into the right direction within one year.

IVE HAD OWN GOALS MATE

The only things I'm not happy about are;

- Shooting needs slightly tweaking
- The curve of the ball is over exaggerated (mainly on free-kicks)
- Free-kicks are terrible
- Camera angle on corners
- Hitting the post/crossbar occurs FAR too often
- 'Outside of the foot' shots happen too often (Seems unrealistic. How often do players in real life score 1-on1's with the outside of their boot?)

hitting the post/crossbar is the most annoying form me 9/10 1v1's end up that way for me! I have my shooting on semi so tht could be the reason but still its ridiculous lol!

I play on semi and i hardly ever hit the post or bar.
Also i dont see the problem with the advantage rule?
Hopefully the FKs will be tweaked and shooting wont change too much because i love it how it is :)

Browsing all the usual forums over the past week, one constant from FIFA09 sceptics has been "the players all turn too slowly", or words to that effect.

This has puzzled me all week, and it still puzzles me. I just played a few games on the demo and deliberately chose to just run about with the ball in space, with various players. The turning and ball control was nimble, quick, intuitive, and highly responsive. There was no sluggishness at all. If anything, it was all a bit suspiciously PES-like.

So what are the 'sluggish players' lobby talking about? Are they talking about trying to turn whilst holding sprint? I can't see how they can be, because even in PES you can't turn quickly whilst holding sprint. If anyone has an explanation for it I'd love to know. My own theory is that it's just become a 'thing to say', along with the usual one about only loving the licenses, the flashy graphics, etc.

This time in 2 weeks Bauer will have found the 1st flaws :LOL:
This time in two weeks? TWO WEEKS? Give me some credit.

At FSB we get review copies. Two weeks? I'll be moaning about the flaws sooner than that.

:twisted:

Browsing all the usual forums over the past week, one constant from FIFA09 sceptics has been "the players all turn too slowly", or words to that effect.

This has puzzled me all week, and it still puzzles me. I just played a few games on the demo and deliberately chose to just run about with the ball in space, with various players. The turning and ball control was nimble, quick, intuitive, and highly responsive. There was no sluggishness at all. If anything, it was all a bit suspiciously PES-like.

So what are the 'sluggish players' lobby talking about? Are they talking about trying to turn whilst holding sprint? I can't see how they can be, because even in PES you can't turn quickly whilst holding sprint. If anyone has an explanation for it I'd love to know. My own theory is that it's just become a 'thing to say', along with the usual one about only loving the licenses, the flashy graphics, etc.

Keith, I like you. That's what I'm thinking as well. As Gomito said perfectly, I was watching the Marseille v Liverpool game, then afterwards I put the FIFA 09 demo on and appreciated just how close to realism the game is.

Shots going over the bar? Happens all the time, otherwise games would be 5-5 every week. Learn how to tame the power-bar. Referees card-happy? No, because in reality if you slide-tackle and miss the ball completely you will get a card. Don't press slide-tackle unless you're sure you'll win it. I'm not saying the game is perfect, no game is perfect, but those things aren't faults. You just have to learn to play the game and, if you know enough about real football (i.e. you don't sprint for 90 minutes alá PES), it won't take forever.

God help us if these people have a say in the changes made in the next FIFA. They have everything they want in PES, let them play that.

Last edited:
Shots going over the bar? Happens all the time, otherwise games would be 5-5 every week. Learn how to tame the power-bar.

What I think is affecting the new-style FIFA's reception (last year and this) is that for a decade PES has been the only point of reference. That's why we get people saying the FIFA09 shooting is 'wrong'. Wrong in comparison to what? To PES, of course.

In its own terms, FIFA09's shooting mechanic isn't 'wrong' at all - it just needs to be learned and used according to its own lights. (The shooting in particular is a massive plus-point for me in FIFA09. After reading about 'Bobby Charlton' goals here, I'm still trying to score one myself.)

The Norwegian free mag: Gamereactor, has done it again! They just gave a "review" of fifa 09. It took half a page and said the same thing they said about euro 08. <Still same old fifa were NOTHING have changed> :LOL: They did give the game 7/10 but fifa would strugle against pes ths year..Pisses me of, it used to be a good mag but thats it for me! For all who have played the demo knows its a hole new game! And god forbid if you talk against pes in the forums cause then you will "hear it". I gave a review of both fifa 08 and pes 08. And giving pes a 2/10 score mentioning all the flaws about the game all you get back is <this review sucks> and other short biching answers:censor:
The reason I mention this is..well I love you guys and this forum! Yes, there some here that are closed minded and cant seem to argue in an adult fashion. But most of all I like the enthusiasm here when a new footy game comes out:))

Ps: The demo still rules and I cant wait for the game! Everyday I see something new in the game. Finally I think we got a footy game that gives that good old feeling ;))

I too, have been watching a lot of football lately (Premiership, La Liga, CL, UEFA cup, and many times I thought to myself: "That's just so FIFA09-esque"...

It's true, most people's conception of football is through PES.

Yeah and hopefully they don't fall into the "players turn to slow" and "shots are not powerful enough" trap that PES has created

because if they do is will lose its realism

At FSB we get review copies. Two weeks? I'll be moaning about the flaws sooner than that.

Keith, I like you. That's what I'm thinking as well. As Gomito said perfectly, I was watching the Marseille v Liverpool game, then afterwards I put the FIFA 09 demo on and appreciated just how close to realism the game is.

Shots going over the bar? Happens all the time, otherwise games would be 5-5 every week. Learn how to tame the power-bar. Referees card-happy? No, because in reality if you slide-tackle and miss the ball completely you will get a card. Don't press slide-tackle unless you're sure you'll win it. I'm not saying the game is perfect, no game is perfect, but those things aren't faults. You just have to learn to play the game and, if you know enough about real football (i.e. you don't sprint for 90 minutes alá PES), it won't take forever.

God help us if these people have a say in the changes made in the next FIFA. They have everything they want in PES, let them play that.
I dont think the 10 v 10 is gonna work, i think we should do a 2 v 2 league off the bat....... cmon jack do it! :) no one v one 2 v 2 mate

In its own terms, FIFA09's shooting mechanic isn't 'wrong' at all - it just needs to be learned and used according to its own lights. (The shooting in particular is a massive plus-point for me in FIFA09. After reading about 'Bobby Charlton' goals here, I'm still trying to score one myself.)

Well for me its not that i have to learn how to shoot that annoys the hell out of me its the way the ball travels in the air seems practically the same shitty floaty shots. Because of this the shooting and scoring goals seems very boring to me cause once i've seen one I feel i've seen them all.

I find myself in the arena trying everything i can to get the ball to move different but it's constantly the same, no dipping shots, one's with wicked curl or mishits.

Its good that they put these shots in that rise up but why take out the other shots and i also think the shooting animations are a bit quick.

The shooting is the only problem I have with this demo i love everything else but shooting is so important that if its not fixed it will really break the game for me.

Well for me its not that i have to learn how to shoot that annoys the hell out of me its the way the ball travels in the air seems practically the same shitty floaty shots. Because of this the shooting and scoring goals seems very boring to me cause once i've seen one I feel i've seen them all.

I find myself in the arena trying everything i can to get the ball to move different but it's constantly the same, no dipping shots, one's with wicked curl or mishits.

Its good that they put these shots in that rise up but why take out the other shots and i also think the shooting animations are a bit quick.

The shooting is the only problem I have with this demo i love everything else but shooting is so important that if its not fixed it will really break the game for me.
Thank you! That is exactly what I've been saying too, it's not the fact that shots go over, as they do, as CB quite rightly pointed out if they didn't we would have 5-5 games every week. But it's the way the shots move in the air to the goal, rubbish.

What I think is affecting the new-style FIFA's reception (last year and this) is that for a decade PES has been the only point of reference. That's why we get people saying the FIFA09 shooting is 'wrong'. Wrong in comparison to what? To PES, of course.
Yep, exactly what I said on here a week or two ago; you play a game so long, and read how much of a simulation it is on every website and in every magazine, that when you play something else each difference will be automatically met with feelings of "I don't like that, that's not realistic". But of course, it is.

Had I played PES5 onwards as regularly as I did with games like ISS Pro Evo 2 on the PSone, I probably would have had that same mindset. But I don't hammer games like I did before, and so the way I see the game is affected by a balance of playing football games occasionally, watching real-life football and playing real-life football as well. So thankfully I can appreciate FIFA 09 for what it really is, rather than say "it's not like PES so I don't like it, it's not right".

God help us if these people have a say in the changes made in the next FIFA. They have everything they want in PES, let them play that

nailed it.

if you want the ping-pong, sensible football in 3D then head "elsewhere". EA are going for something entirely different. In real life only few can turn sharply at full pace. No one can shoot on the run. In Fifa if you hold LT/L2 you will get a better shot and turn more effectively. With Joe Cole's i've needled my way between players. If you combine that with simple feints with the trick stick (flick up and down) you have enough to beat the defenders. Any easier and they have the same problem as PES where you can run the length with Rio and lay it off for a goal EACH TIME.

btw, you can always do with a bigger variety of shots but i've seen some real great vids online (saw an unbelievable drogba dipping smash) so i'm not too worried. i'm convinced there's a trick to corners and free kicks. i pulled off a perfect one the other day (corner) with just the right bend. (you don't hold the curl down all the way to the screen (angle) change.

hitmanuk: must be EA game testers who got it early. love the achievements this year. score a screamer!!

Last edited:

Personally I don't agree with you on this one. Compared to 08 and Euro 08, the shots in FIFA 09 is way more like in PES. To me Euro 08 had the most realistic shots, because you could hit screamers that had a little dip and then a variety of topspin shots that all felt different. Problem was that you couldn't hit those rising shots like in 09, but now it feels like all you can do is those type of shots. Like someone said, it feels like every shot is the same... it actually feels a little scripted, like PES.

I personally hope they tweak it a bit to be between Euro and 09, because shots that dip in the end happens way more often in real life. Then from time to time someone hit those Riise shots (FIFA 09).

Exactly! in the same way that all shots aren't on target, how many sliding tackles do you actually see in a match? usually not many, and to stop players constantly sliding in the game is to be much more strict with cards.

Add to that - when you do get one exactly right. it looks awesome, and its VERY satisfying

Personally I don't agree with you on this one. Compared to 08 and Euro 08, the shots in FIFA 09 is way more like in PES. To me Euro 08 had the most realistic shots, because you could hit screamers that had a little dip and then a variety of topspin shots that all felt different. Problem was that you couldn't hit those rising shots like in 09, but now it feels like all you can do is those type of shots. Like someone said, it feels like every shot is the same... it actually feels a little scripted, like PES.

I personally hope they tweak it a bit to be between Euro and 09, because shots that dip in the end happens way more often in real life. Then from time to time someone hit those Riise shots (FIFA 09).

Thank you! That is exactly what I've been saying too, it's not the fact that shots go over, as they do, as CB quite rightly pointed out if they didn't we would have 5-5 games every week. But it's the way the shots move in the air to the goal, rubbish.

+1 for all of you. we have the same thought i guess,and we all didn't say this game is bad,just pointing out something that maybe fix for each other good. i hope some people understand.

Do we know if the stadiums have been fixed? In reality, the crowd is quite close to the pitch at say Anfield or Stamford Bridge but in previous FIFA games they were miles away.

Back
Top Bottom