FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

They need to show a replay of why people get booked. It would solve all the confusion when the ref pulls up the card and you can't remember that you did anything wrong.

Yeah but it's these incidents that create the confusion. Since it's mostly one card to hand out they should just hold on to the replay until the player gets carded.

Ok Guys after playing this beautiful piece of software i have to admit that i need to learn a lot to master this game. i can't defend very well, i can't win a lot of headers, i can't defend at all :D

so how do you guys defend and what is the best way to get some headers? thanks a lot for your tips (appreciate it).

Last edited:
Ok Guys after playing this beautiful piece of software i have to admit that i need to learn a lot to master this game. i can't defend very well, i can't win a lot of headers, i can't defend at all :D

so how do you guys defend and what is the best way to get some headers? thanks a lot for your tips (appreciate it).

Heading the ball is harder than before. In 08/Euro you could press well before and head ok, but now you have to press when you want to jump. So the heading is all about staying cool and time the jump just before you want to head it, if that makes sense.

Defending I would say remember to hold down the jockey button and don't just rush the opponent with the tackle button pressed. Also if you run with standing tackle button pressed remember to point your direction stick towards the ball and not in the direction your running. As far as I can tell it's easier to push away the opponent when doing so. General rule when defending is letting the attacker do his move first and then attack the ball (imo).

U could just rewind ur replay to find out

Yes, OR they could just show it to you so you don't have to spend a minute in replay playing detective.

Anyways... Is there such a thing as delayed red cards in real life? I always thought the ref had to stop the play directly if there was going to be a straight red.

Yes, OR they could just show it to you so you don't have to spend a minute in replay playing detective.

Anyways... Is there such a thing as delayed red cards in real life? I always thought the ref had to stop the play directly if there was going to be a straight red.
It depends on how sensible the ref is, if there is a goal scoring opportunity he cant just stop the game bcos he wants to handout a red

I guess that's true blaccat.

Looking at the official board it seems like a bunch of people have been sent of after they've scored a goal. Anyone seen this in real life? I mean it should be able to happen if you have a yellow card and kick someone down, the ref plays advantage and the other team then loses the ball after the the advantage have been played out. Your team starts a counter attack and you score a goal and gets a second yellow and get sent off. Can't remember to have seen this in real life, would be pretty funny to see the crowds reaction though. Maybe it's possible to find on youtube.

Why does the ps3 version have such great adboards?

we get nothing on 360 but "Fifa fair play" and "football for hope" and "ea sports" logos. Looks cack.

PS3 get coke zero, sony, adidas and others.

WHY?

Because of the stadium it's played in. Those companies are sponsors of the Fifa World Cup or whatever it is called. That tournament that is exclusive for PS3.

Anyone know if this game has gone gold yet?
I'm sure it must have by now
Surprisingly it is only due to go gold within the next few days. Bearing in mind that the demo code was three weeks old as it was, I'm hoping to see even more improvements. As long as they don't listen to the kids on the EA UK forums and make it ten times easier, with no shots going over the bar ever and referees letting people get away with murder...

Surprisingly it is only due to go gold within the next few days. Bearing in mind that the demo code was three weeks old as it was, I'm hoping to see even more improvements. As long as they don't listen to the kids on the EA UK forums and make it ten times easier, with no shots going over the bar ever and referees letting people get away with murder...
I'm hoping they have put some changes into the MM, It would surely not take long to put a few of the bugs right...

As far as animation goes FIFA 09 is miles ahead. And when it comes to the first two thirds of the pitch it plays the closest thing to real football ever witnessed outside of an actual match.

HOWEVER - in the final third i still think the game lacks incision. It all feels too fluffy with a lack of control in tight areas. I agree that in real life it takes a certain amount of time for players to change direction etc but watch any good (not even great) player and they can move the ball around swiftly without cumbersome movement cycles.

My other issue is the offensive AI. It's great in terms of making forward runs but rarely makes lateral movement - watch any FIFA08/EURO/09 video and most goals are either cross/header routines or horizontal breaks, rarely anything else - for instance anyone remember the valencia goal at the mestalla versus Liverpool a few years ago - lateral movement exemplified. I've played 08 and EURO to death and tried to play such football but the Ai movement simply doesn't allow it - it's too often passing triangles down each flank as the Ai sets off on another endless straight run to goal. This is one area where PES is still ahead (the only area probably but important) i.e. offensive AI - to test i went back to pes5 after about 20 hours on 09 demo - i can play like arsenal do in real life with the whole variety of goals.

If this is just down to my own limitations fine and if more complex moves can be put together i genuinely want to know how because i have no allegiance to any game (daftness!).

I would also agree with the comment posted by others that the game is too one paced in the final third so that there is very little urgency - maybe reduced or shorter animations are required but it means that when goals go in they go in at the same pace and tempo as the buld-up which led to it - this removes the euphoria assciated with a goal instead giving rise to smiling admiration for the game engine.

I'm not posting this for the sake of controversy - EA are doing what the fans want and that should be praised highly indeed. BUT - i can't help feel that FIFA plays wire frame football with all the dynamic incisive bits often missing - once it acquires that - probably by FIFA 2011 realistically - well then PES will be dead.

Back
Top Bottom