FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Just noticed a nice detail. A player on the CPU team was in offside, but received a pass. So he just slips it through his legs, without touching it, and the player behind him takes it instead, and is through on goal. Don't know if this was just random or whatever, but it was cool to watch.

You see players walking away from the ball loads of times, letting the ball roll passed their legs. As long as they don't touch it, or stop the opposition, then they're fine.

Coopz is right.

Fifa says:
Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

A player that lets the ball pass between his legs, is clearly intefering with play.

I wish they don't tone down the refs for the final release. In real life when you take down someone with a sliding tackle it's a yellow card most of the times. I love this, and love the way the CPU fouls you again and again and they earn yellow cards. I love the balance of fouls / cards right now, it's just so spot on.

Yeah I'm with you there, I want to almost feel like it's a desperate act to make a sliding tackle unless I'm certain I'm going to win the ball, I'd rather it stay as it is now than them tone it down and do it too much.

I wish they don't tone down the refs for the final release. In real life when you take down someone with a sliding tackle it's a yellow card most of the times. I love this, and love the way the CPU fouls you again and again and they earn yellow cards. I love the balance of fouls / cards right now, it's just so spot on.

Yeah I think the refs are good. You can't get away with wayward sliding tackles anymore.

There's a lot of things like that being said Drekkard, a lot of things that they could fiddle with if they read their forums, and I really really hope they don't or it will be a disaster for the guys after a football simulation (and the vast majority of the guys complaining will never be happy anyway).

If you mistime a tackle in real life, and it looks bad, you will get a card. The referee won't let you off because you were desperate to win the ball or because you "pressed the button at the wrong time".

Shots do go over the bar easily if you're too heavy on the button, but I watched two Premier League games live last week (and the CL game last night); that is how it is in real life. The balls are lighter now, and if every shot that went over the bar was low enough to be on target, there would never be a 0-0 again.

Players can't turn as quickly and sharply as fish sliding on ice. Even the best players understand shifting in body weight.

If they fiddle with all of those things before the final release to keep the moaners happy, rather than telling them to go and play a different game, I will be absolutely gutted.

if you want to do the dive celebration - hold the modifier button then either:

down-up
up-down

on the stick, its one of them, the other one takes a bow :-pp

About the shots going over the bar, LOADS of shots went over the bar during the Euro's. LOADS AND LOADS.

It's true about the shooting, loads of shots do go over/wide. I guess because it's a 2 min demo it just makes it even more annoying! There's loads of things that are annoying in the demo, but will be fine in the full game because it will be 5 mins halves :)).

It's true about the shooting, loads of shots do go over/wide. I guess because it's a 2 min demo it just makes it even more annoying! There's loads of things that are annoying in the demo, but will be fine in the full game because it will be 5 mins halves :)).

you mean 8minute halves right? ;))

Stopped slide tackling since PES5, and never looked back

ive never been much of a slider tackler either but found in pes2008 and in fifa 08 and 09 i could be successful with slides under certain circumstances. i use it mostly when the ball has been played on for the opponents winger....ill take control of my side back and slide outwards towards the line to prevent their attack. it can be tough sometimes when youre trying to just out-muscle an attacking winger and you also run a big risk if he makes it past you.....

Just booted up Fifa08 for the first time since September 10th, gonna be interesting :)

Never thought i would say this but mine got traded in last week before it lost anymore value!!. After playing Fifa 09 demo i just couldnt go back to it. Helps build the hype anyway in not playing Fifa 08 before 09!. Cant friggin wait!.:-pp

yeh, no way i can play 08 anymore after this demo.

nice video compilation Blaccat. some of the skills to beat players were sweet. i have a vid on my phone of Joe Cole doing the McGreedy (sp?) turn to beat 2 players and then slotting it in. It's a shame the replays are so short for 360 demo, i couldn't get Deco's pass to me in there :(

I keep going back and forth between both demos. Hopefully EA sort it out for release.

I just played two Prem matches, lost 1-0 to Preston and beat Sheff Utd 2-0, still enjoyed it but I'm constantly comparing it to Fifa09 and thinking "this is gonna be better" and "can't wait to do that in Fifa09" etc. etc. I was lucky in a way that Euro was so awful single player as I never had that problem :)

There's a lot of things like that being said Drekkard, a lot of things that they could fiddle with if they read their forums, and I really really hope they don't or it will be a disaster for the guys after a football simulation (and the vast majority of the guys complaining will never be happy anyway).

If you mistime a tackle in real life, and it looks bad, you will get a card. The referee won't let you off because you were desperate to win the ball or because you "pressed the button at the wrong time".

Shots do go over the bar easily if you're too heavy on the button, but I watched two Premier League games live last week (and the CL game last night); that is how it is in real life. The balls are lighter now, and if every shot that went over the bar was low enough to be on target, there would never be a 0-0 again.

Players can't turn as quickly and sharply as fish sliding on ice. Even the best players understand shifting in body weight.

If they fiddle with all of those things before the final release to keep the moaners happy, rather than telling them to go and play a different game, I will be absolutely gutted.

You should post these thoughts on the official Fifa 09 forum or mail EA. Because when they do change all those things, you'll feel better since you tried to prevent it. Or can we make some kind of online petition?

I remember writing to EA in 1997 asking them why they didn't include the Belgian league and instead threw in Malaysian teams such as Kualalumpur, etc... They replied me short after with a positive note that they would look into it. And a year after? Belgian teams it was! :)

I just played two Prem matches, lost 1-0 to Preston and beat Sheff Utd 2-0, still enjoyed it but I'm constantly comparing it to Fifa09 and thinking "this is gonna be better" and "can't wait to do that in Fifa09" etc. etc. I was lucky in a way that Euro was so awful single player as I never had that problem :)

What level are you playing matches on against the cpu in 08?
From playing the demo I think that manager mode might have to start on semi-pro, although judging from how much difference there was in the demo of 08 to the actual game,I'm sort of hoping that the cheating on the higher levels might be curbed enough to allow for a fair game to be played.
Euro08 was just hopeless on the higher levels; off-line.

ive never been much of a slider tackler either but found in pes2008 and in fifa 08 and 09 i could be successful with slides under certain circumstances. i use it mostly when the ball has been played on for the opponents winger....ill take control of my side back and slide outwards towards the line to prevent their attack. it can be tough sometimes when youre trying to just out-muscle an attacking winger and you also run a big risk if he makes it past you.....
location location location

L1 + O + X = Maldini

Back
Top Bottom