FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Dr Force, have you played PES recently? I have PES2008 on the PSP and the pressure is on all game from the CPU, it never stops. I've posted it a few pages ago so I won't repeat it again, but I had to stop playing it on the PSP now that I've played the FIFA demo (and I was playing it for a few months, was enjoying it too).

It's less responsive in certain situations and the CPU cheating is far worse. You notice it as soon as you kick off; if a defender is near you it takes two seconds to register your button press so that they can get the ball off you, and if you're sprinting your player will magically decide to knock the ball ahead 15ft if you're anywhere near the goalkeeper, who will then pick it up.

You probably will get fed up of it after a month - that's no disrespect, that's just how it is, especially when you're playing the AI. No AI can be completely original and surprise you 100% of the time, it's programmed, it can't develop itself to be different every game. But the AI is far superior (team-mate wise and opposition wise) than PES and with far less cheating. IMO, of course, but I've played PES2008 on the PSP solidly for a while now.

Thanks for the reply matey.

I am guessing this is going to be an online game only for me, thats where the fun is at, especially in the organised leagues without cheating idiots etc.

I know what you mean about pressure aswell in Pes but due to the sharpness (unrealistic) turns i can get myself out of a hole quicker and therefore retain posession. FIFA (due to response but very realistic) does not allow me to do that.

I can see why offline it could be judged at a lower score and i can see the comparisons to 08 in that regard, but the game engine has definately been fine tuned to outshine anything thats gone before it. I enjoyed 08 online so i know i'll love this but the demo has shown the usual problems playing against the CPU and thats a shame for the offline peeps.

Oh well here's hoping i'll love it;))

FIFA vs cpu I would stop playing after a week to be honest I only put up with it because of the demo!

friends over/live

thank god I had a m8 over all day 2day or i would have gone nuts after 4 days vs the cpu

FIFA vs cpu I would stop playing after a week to be honest I only put up with it because of the demo!

friends over/live

thank god I had a m8 over all day 2day or i would have gone nuts after 4 days vs the cpu

Thats cheered me up a bit, thanks Sweet:))

I thought it was just me but its clearly aimed at the human v human aspect of the market because CPU is a brain musher.

I've enjoyed playing against the CPU so far, I think it's the best football game so far in terms of playing against the CPU; but even so it's not perfect (it's a game after all, there's only so much programming you can do) and against a real person it will always be ten times better.

The online FIFA league was the most fun I have ever had with a football game in my life, it was just brilliant. I was hoping they would build on that, with promotion/relegation, transfers etc... Ah well, next year...

Out of interest does anyone play with the assissted mode...im a bit shit..i struggled with manual mode so switched to semi but got a bit frustrated..i knocked the skill level up for the challenge left shhoting and crossing on semi and the rest on adjusted....feels really good now and a lot less crowded on the pitch as the ball is going where i want :O) ....any thoughts

Thats cheered me up a bit, thanks Sweet:))

I thought it was just me but its clearly aimed at the human v human aspect of the market because CPU is a brain musher.

yeah it definetly isn't just you. I feel the cpu cheating etc just as much and it does do my head in on world class difficulty they always press and clog up the midfield and feel 10-15% quicker than your players.

hopefully you will be playing against friends/online alot more than offline and you will find the game amazing! no doubt about that I had alot more fun with the game while at leipzig and they have closed off all the tactical aspects I wrote about which is a shame as editing your formation/attackin/defensive runs really does help you out and gets rid of some of that cpu advantage even more

I've just played a couple of matches with the demo (probably the last one in the world) and i must say i was mightely impressed.
I've had FIFA08 and quite enjoyed it (in fact i played it more than PES) but this one seems much better, more "fluid", the headers seem better...i will definitely buy it once again this year...

we'll see how great the cpu is when i'm allowed to use my wingers effectively in the full game. SWP and ROBINHO could do some serious damage on either flank :) can't wait to try the custom tactics in full.

I know this has probably been mentioned before but anyway..

I was 1-0 up in stoppage time against Real and they get a corner. Cue a cutscene of Casillas legging it up the pitch. Low and behold he wins the header in the box due to my poor defending and hits the post only for Raul to tap in the rebound.

It was brilliant.

Thanks for the reply matey.

I am guessing this is going to be an online game only for me, thats where the fun is at, especially in the organised leagues without cheating idiots etc.
Hey, you can do as I did, I just play intermediate and play not for win but to enjoy it... and after some hours in the demo, I'm really impressed and enjoying every bit of it! In intermediate difficulty you can really play "real", slow, and see the effects of custom tactics (when the cheats kick too much in World Class, all the good things in the game get lost a bit).

I don't mind playing an inferior difficulty. What I want is to enjoy the game. In Fifa 08 I ended up playin Semi-Professional full manual and enjoying it a lot!

Of course, nothing beats Human vs Human. I've had really brilliant moments in this demo. Yesterday the cpu keeper jumped to punch the ball but collided with Dorgba and a defender and just deflected the ball. The Ballack did a very strong volley and the keeper managed to save BY STRETCHING THE LEG! The ball when to the back of a defender and went for a corner. That's quality.

This game suprasses all the competition of sport games in terms of unpredictability. Honestly, I'm having laughs, emotions and fun playing it, and every day I learn new movements, new things and see new details. It's so deep...

And thanks to Rob, that told me about protecting the ball. It's quality, I got between 2 defenders by protecting the ball and then knogking it off. I have no words for it...

It's been mentioned before but the through ball on manual isn't hard enough. It should be like in Euro 08, it was perfect in that game. It's like you have to hold down twice as long to get the same power as in Euro.

Sorry, but I still don't like the shooting :((. I really hope it's tweaked for the final build. EVERY shot outside the box is just floaty and crap.

Same here. I liked the shooting in Euro. The Euro shooting with the possibility to shoot those ever raising shots in 09 would be good to me.

Sorry, but I still don't like the shooting :((. I really hope it's tweaked for the final build. EVERY shot outside the box is just floaty and crap.

im with u tim...
u gotta press way to quick for the shoot be on target...that way u cant really decide if u want a high shoot or a low one..since all u can do is tap it otherwise the ball will end up in mars.

i have scored some top corner bombs just by taping the button..whe i was actually trying to hit a low shot

Same here. I liked the shooting in Euro. The Euro shooting with the possibility to shoot those ever raising shots in 09 would be good to me.

I like the shooting. Since I learned to let go of the sprint button just before I shoot I have scored quite a few nice long range goals. It's different than Euro for sure but to me it seems good. With that said I hope that EA have tweaked shooting even further in time for the release. I am more worried about the swirl from freekicks and corners.:((

u gotta press way to quick for the shoot be on target...that way u cant really decide if u want a high shoot or a low one..since all u can do is tap it otherwise the ball will end up in mars.

i have scored some top corner bombs just by taping the button..whe i was actually trying to hit a low shot

Agree with this though. It's the opposite of the through ball where you have to keep pressing too long when you want a hard through ball. When shooting it's always just a tap and it's difficult to pick the right power.

Last edited:
I really really hope EA don't over value Jermaine Beckford, again this season. Beckford is not known for his pace, it's his ability to finish clinically that makes him what he is.

A superhuman Beckford really will ruin all Manager Mode experience for me, when playing with my dearly beloved.

"I don't mind playing an inferior difficulty. What I want is to enjoy the game. In Fifa 08 I ended up playin Semi-Professional full manual and enjoying it a lot!

Of course, nothing beats Human vs Human. I've had really brilliant moments in this demo. Yesterday the cpu keeper jumped to punch the ball but collided with Dorgba and a defender and just deflected the ball. The Ballack did a very strong volley and the keeper managed to save BY STRETCHING THE LEG! The ball when to the back of a defender and went for a corner. That's quality.

This game suprasses all the competition of sport games in terms of unpredictability. Honestly, I'm having laughs, emotions and fun playing it, and every day I learn new movements, new things and see new details. It's so deep..."

im right there with you bro. once i got the settings right i felt the game really came to life. world class and legendary (on 08) in fifa are like pes 6 star to me.....its all a little numbing and grating. but when i put 09 on all manual on professional theres this perfect balance and the game really shines.

Back
Top Bottom