FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Do people know the teams in the demo have preset tactics?

i only found out a few days ago

you go to custom tactics, and press on the top text (forgot what it says) and you get a list of 4/5 preset tactics

Yep, of which only two you can change - the tendendancy for crosses and how high up the pitch you start pressing.

I change both to be 100 and then set my mentality (in-game) to be ultra-offensive just to try and squeeze a few goals out of the 2 minute halves!

It is very encouraging that these "sliders" do have a noticeable difference on how your team plays.

ah, it was the second press of the skill button I didnt know.

One of the best moves has to be the mcgeady. I have managed it a few times and it is actually useful to lose a defender.

Cheers

ah, it was the second press of the skill button I didnt know.

One of the best moves has to be the mcgeady. I have managed it a few times and it is actually useful to lose a defender.

Cheers

thats my favourite move aswell as the new step over drag just gives you bit more space when you pull it off right

Imagine you're going left to right... Hold L2 and Shoot and then flip the directional stick to the left at the same time as you press X to cancel the shot.

I also have a few explanations on comments on the video below:

Sounds like a Street Fighter combo!

I am not sure you could do this in fifa 08, but I remember I could not find out how.. Its about replays. I remember you could not skip the replays you wanted and if you pressed a button it would just end the replays. But in the demo(360) if you press RT, you can skip to the next replay witch is nice:)) Also some nice details/animation on the crowd this time around. The players look awsome, and hope the other teams have good looking players as well. It does look like a fantastic game where you find new things everyday that is pleasing to the eye:DD Not sure if I like slow speed or normal.. In slow its easy to pass the ball around but then I miss a little speed particularly when running, but on normal things may sometimes be a litlle to fast. Referees are a little to hard on the cards and do have some fault(thank god its just a demo)
Anyway, I love the demo it it does feel like we finaly have got the footy game we have been waiting for since pes 5!

Guys there is a review!

In the newsagents at lunch, think it was 360 magazine.

Saw the cover said it is reviewed and the tagline described it as a "PES-Beater"

I had assumed this info would already be on here hence not buying the magazine

I am not sure you could do this in fifa 08, but I remember I could not find out how.. Its about replays. I remember you could not skip the replays you wanted and if you pressed a button it would just end the replays. But in the demo(360) if you press RT, you can skip to the next replay witch is nice:))

You *could* do this on 08 but then they took it out for Euro 2008.

Unless I'm going mental you could also press L2 & R2 / LT & RT together to change the angle of the replay in FIFA 08, but you can't in Euro 2008 or in this FIFA 09 demo. :(

hopefully that review should pop up around the forums in a bit so we can have a read. I also saw a mag earlier - official playstation magazine, but isnt that the review that got 9/10?

a few things i spotted in the demo

took a shot instead of passing to kuryani. shot flew completley over, i could see kuryani pointing at his feet as if to say..wtf were you doing!? :D
managed to slide tackle two marseille players with one slide as ronaldinhio. took both out and got a straight red! :D
and as a result of that foul, when marseille were taking the freekick, one of the lpayers were sitting on the sidelines injured!.

i took a photo of that, but its on my home machine so i'll upload it later if no one has seen it before.

you have to tap x/square twice or 3 times to have the camera which allows you to pan about etc :)
No Sweetkilla, not in-game replays, the replays you get at the end of a half. Unless you can do it then as well? But there's no prompt to tell you that you can.

i've seen cannavaro gesturing another player(s) to drop back.
it was subtle, but I was like "holy shit" nice!

:w00t: so i didnt imagine that then! i've only seen it the one time, but it happened so quickly i wasn't sure if i saw what i thought i saw!

cool.

I had two instances with Pepe. One he charged in Vidic style for a header, missed, landed on his knees with his arms out then slapped his palm with his other hand, as if to say, where is my free kick?

On another he hit Kuranyi with a tackle, Kuranyi stumbled, Pepe got up, and it looked as he got up it was like a headbutt/ ram that knocked Kranyi over. Straight Red. I do think it was just a coincidental animation and not actually putting a nut on him

Imagine you're going left to right... Hold L2 and Shoot and then flip the directional stick to the left at the same time as you press X to cancel the shot.

I also have a few explanations on comments on the video below:
YouTube - FIFA09 Demo Skills Double Rabona

i did that in the game. it was so awesome. i did it with robinho too! :lol: i was on the wrong and just wanted to cancel a cross and run the other way. the moves kinda make sense if you know what i mean. so cool.

:w00t: so i didnt imagine that then! i've only seen it the one time, but it happened so quickly i wasn't sure if i saw what i thought i saw!
yeah, when I noticed it, I had to instant replay it.
at halftime, I rewound the whole 1st half and noticed he did it a few more times, and Pepe did it once.
I think it usually occurs when L2+R2 jockeying.

Guys there is a review!

In the newsagents at lunch, think it was 360 magazine.

Saw the cover said it is reviewed and the tagline described it as a "PES-Beater"

I had assumed this info would already be on here hence not buying the magazine

I got that mag Xbox World 360, its says "Pes Beater" to suck you in. They give it 81/100 but I dont think they can be trusted, because they gave Pes2008 92/100, need I say any more.

Also they say its not that different from Euro, which is absolute crap. I cant see they have had the finished version, because what they say I completely disagree with.

I suppose they sucked me into buying the mag, but it will never happen again.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to one of the other reviews we had, same score aswell I think. Totally showed themselves up by moaning that the live league (player DNA, or whatever it's called) wasn't in the game.....when it is.

The fact they gave PES2008 92% and say FIFA09 is no different from Euro08, is enough to justify that they are a bunch of konami shills. I needn't say more.

The demo alone batters Euro08, PES2008, FIFA07 etc etc. Infact this demo, had it been 4minutes, would have beaten every football game i've played apart from Pro Evo 5. It's packed full of detail. If you're good you can score some truly awesome goals and create some inventive moves. I've not played a football title with cleverer A.I yet. Players make runs off the ball by themselves. Drogba runs up and down the back-line causing mayhem while Lampard or Deco is looking for a pass for example.There is no debate for me that with Be-A-Pro Season, Manager mode, Lag free online, Clubs mode etc etc the game deserves ATLEAST a 87%. That's without even looking at the gameplay. It simply offers the most value for any football title out there.

Anyways, about the replays. I was ranting about this earlier and on the Official Fifa forum too. PS3 version has full match replays while 360 owners are relegated to scratching around 6 second clips that completely ruins the upload feature. All 360 owners get to see is the throughball/cross/pass and then the goal. PS3 owners can watch their 20-30pass arsenal move from the start. Thanks EA.

Even though i own both, i'll be playing most of my offline on 360 version of the game due to the clear graphical difference. I dunno what EA's problem is regarding this. My 360 has a hardrive. I shouldn't be forced to watch snippets of a goal instead of a fullly worked build-up. I don't see the point in uploads on the 360 if that's the case in the final version.

Yeah I hope the replay fucntion is present in the retail version. Tried it the other day and it's really good.

Is the demo available for 360 silver users, cant remember if it was a week before us paupers get it? Want to see what the difference is as playing the ps3 version it looks like a nice upgrade from euro08 360. Nice and smooth and detailed. Its only during certain replay's that the framerate takes a hit. And from time to time a goalkick has a very, very slight stutter.

Is anyone noticing the same flaws on the higher difficulty??

The magical turning from the opposition turns it back into a frustrating affair.The space seems to be tighter when you are in posession as my players dont make the sort of intelligent runs the opposition make when they are in posession.

I just wonder if this is one of the reasons PES still has the appeal to alot of poeople as its more rewarding short term where as FIFA needs alot of time to master, which us full time family folk dont have.

Dont get me wrong, its a great game but I just find there to be a lack of space and hardly any time on the ball when you up the difficulty thus its very scrappy in almost every game i play.

I am still finding it a tad unresponsive and its not made huge strides in this department IMO.

Everything else is wonderful but will i get tired of it after 3 months like 08?......................maybe.

there is even pressure along the back line now, when you make 3-4 passes which i dont find too realistic when the play is quickly squeezed into the centre circle.

I hope I dont fall out of love with it:ROLL:

Dr Force, have you played PES recently? I have PES2008 on the PSP and the pressure is on all game from the CPU, it never stops. I've posted it a few pages ago so I won't repeat it again, but I had to stop playing it on the PSP now that I've played the FIFA demo (and I was playing it for a few months, was enjoying it too).

It's less responsive in certain situations and the CPU cheating is far worse. You notice it as soon as you kick off; if a defender is near you it takes two seconds to register your button press so that they can get the ball off you, and if you're sprinting your player will magically decide to knock the ball ahead 15ft if you're anywhere near the goalkeeper, who will then pick it up.

You probably will get fed up of it after a month - that's no disrespect, that's just how it is, especially when you're playing the AI. No AI can be completely original and surprise you 100% of the time, it's programmed, it can't develop itself to be different every game. But the AI is far superior (team-mate wise and opposition wise) than PES and with far less cheating. IMO, of course, but I've played PES2008 on the PSP solidly for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom