FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Did you guys @ FSB play with AC Milan? Wanna see Kaka-Ronaldinho-Pato in action.

Seems like your in luck then! Apart from the new "Collision System" Shooting, Tackling and Goalkeeping our the biggest improvements. the biggest is probably Goalkeeping. I can from my experience clearly say FIFA 09 keepers are the best in a footie game ever, They have clearly ripped out all of the old coding and started it from total stratch as there is none of the same reactions from the keepers like 08. They for me perform perfectly fine and that was a great relief.

Shooting as Adam said is definitely a lot better, you can really feel it when you smash a shot, you remember pro in the day when you hit a sweet shot and you new it was going to trouble the keeper you can now feel it, Definitely less floaty for sure! it can really fly sometimes if struck. Finesse shot has also been made harder for the better, remember in 08 when you could hold the button for ages before you shot to shape the shot, well if you do this on 09 it will make your shot slighly less accurate unlike in 08 when you could smash them in for fun.

Well there you go mate, i already answered all of that in my first review but no probs.
Ah sorry, I didn't see your review, I click the "view last post" button so it must have been on a previous page :DOH:. I will find it tomorrow and have a read :)).

Thanks for those answers, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! :)) It has certainly made me more excited about this game than I was before! Especially about the keepers - which would have gone from the worst in any recent game (FIFA 08) to the best in any football game.

Completely manual v manual controls online against a fair player, with Championship teams, on a wet pitch with it raining (with the weather effects making a difference) with good gameplay = Awesome, something I have wanted for a long time.

Also, 10v10 online if they implement it well so the host can kick people, they sort the problems with lag/glitches/responses etc. would be the best thing to happen in football gaming in my opinion. I know with randomers it would be crap but with people you know, it would be brilliant, making a whole team of 10 people up and everyone playing their role realistically against another team of 10 who did the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nets looked much better on that goal by Newcastle. Way better than the Italy vs France one. The ball practically hit a wall on that own goal by Italy. Horrid nets..I hope EA tweaks them..Please EA hear my cry!

Last edited:

Very sweet! ^^

Oh and I also hope there's long tape, it's a bit more realistic =D

Waaaaaaaheeyyyyy!!! another long tape fan. I also would love to see the likes of ronaldo and torres etc wearing there long tape. Would add individual realism.

Lads i have stumbled across something in the alves goal video that really excites me. Not sure about the rest of you lads but it looks like long tape will be in Fifa 09. Check these picks. Check the alves vid also and look closely. Jesus i hope it is long tape. sure looks like it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/pooplatapoo/Untitled-1-3.jpg

Untitled-1-3.jpg

But i find it strange that the new accessorie is in the early build.

Last edited:

Young gunz, i have a question about passing, number one did you find it being too accurate, especially in off balance situations?

#2 a lot of people have been talking about player individuality and attributes and EA seem to have put a lot of emphasis on this this year, but has this translated to passing as well? I felt that passing was the least represented part of attributes in fifa and Euro. So for example if you're controlling pirlo or carrick do you feel the difference in their passing ability? and by that i mean a noticeable difference, there should be as much a difference in someone like pirlo's passing with other players as there is with ronaldo's dribbling. I read somewhere that there would be passes that would curl around players if passed by a player with good attributes (not just crosses/corners) did u see any of this?

at the end of the day stilts if someone has it on assisted passes will be easy its there to help the player... if someone was using semi then I want to know if those situations affected the passing ?

Waaaaaaaheeyyyyy!!! another long tape fan. I also would love to see the likes of ronaldo and torres etc wearing there long tape. Would add individual realism.

Lads i have stumbled across something in the alves goal video that really excites me. Not sure about the rest of you lads but it looks like long tape will be in Fifa 09. Check these picks. Check the alves vid also and look closely. Jesus i hope it is long tape. sure looks like it.

Untitled-1-3.jpg

FELLAS WHATS GOING ON. HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED. THERE IS LONG TAPE. LONG TAPE !!!!!!!

Agreed. Couldn't give a damn. I hope it's not in. Just to annoy you hazza. For the record....I also hope that the nets are identical to last years. ;-)

@ Younggun;

How did you find the heading, just watched the new-che video and the viduka header looked good. Proper challenge and movement. Did you find this good aswell, 08/euro it was always a bit static (players already in position and jumping up instead of forward towards the ball).

From the interview video...

They can (presumably) handle 10 vs 10 online but they can't support 1 vs 1 with a couple of spectators?

at the end of the day stilts if someone has it on assisted passes will be easy its there to help the player... if someone was using semi then I want to know if those situations affected the passing ?

To be honest it shouldn't make a difference.

"Assisted passing" does not mean that the game will help the player to pass accurately if he is off-balance, it only assists the "intended aim" angle.

Assisted passing will make you automatically aim at a teammate, but if you are off-balance, it would still mean that the resulting pass should be nowhere near where the aim is.

In both Assisted and Manual passing, you use the analog stick to choose the desired pass angle. If the player is off-balance or pressured etc, the ball would still deviate equally from the "assisted pass aim" aswell as the "manual pass aim".

Assisted only helps you to aim at teammates, it does not make off-balance passes executed with more accuracy.

Meaning, if you in a situation aim at the exact same point (or analog stick angle) with both assisted and manual passing, the error margin due to off-balance or such should be the same.

Untitled-1-3.jpg

i just shake my head when i read posts like this, some of u will never ever enjoy a video game because of stupid things like this

i didnt realise snow was in this year....cool! Also in the Rutter video he says the games supports 1080hd but graphics are not 1080hd. Can somebody clarify what this means please.

I'll repost this quesiton in here as the 08 thread gets about 4 posts a day;

"For the ps3 owners outside the UK (and maybe inside aswell);

What languages did you have on the disc? In NL the fifa08 360 disc came with 3 languages; dutch, spanish and swedish. Was that the case on the ps3 version? Or did EA use the bluray disc and fill it with extra languages? Reason I ask is because its another deciding factor for which console version of 09 to choose."

Yeah I'd imagine it'll be something like that, fully 1080p ingame graphics whilst very pretty would be hugely demanding.

Just thought of this:

Why is it that some people think slow response relates to realism? The faster it is the more arcady it tends to be?

Personally, I think response times should be related to when you press the button, things should work. If it didn't or is slow then we have a problem. But at the same time, we don't want a ping-ponger of a game. So I think the solution to that would be:

Instead of having slow response, fiddle around with the player's technique attribute. What I mean is, not all players should have the same quickness and technique trapping a ball and turning. For example, obviously Ronaldo should be quick with his ball skills and technique, like Robinho too. But someone like Campbell, Senderos or Vidic should be much slower when receiving a pass, controlling it, then turning and moving.

If one of them defenders receive a pass, they take more time to trap it, make the wrong move and might knock it bit longer than intended, then maybe a lurking opposition races for it, the defender barely gets to it, opposition slightly quicker than the defender you're controlling, so you press the bass button hoping you get to the ball before he does but end up flat on the pitch or possibly causing a FK.

Now that can happen when pressing the button and the defender responding quickly to your input, but due to his lack of quickness in his attribute, or even lack of ball trapping and technique, he might fail doing so.

Here we can have the best of both worlds, button responsiveness and realistic player attributes. This would lead us to being careful with such players and not just run about carelessly.

I'm not sure I explained this correctly but I hope my point got through without boring anyone :)

Just thought of this:

Why is it that some people think slow response relates to realism? The faster it is the more arcady it tends to be?

Personally, I think response times should be related to when you press the button, things should work. If it didn't or is slow then we have a problem. But at the same time, we don't want a ping-ponger of a game. So I think the solution to that would be:

Instead of having slow response, fiddle around with the player's technique attribute. What I mean is, not all players should have the same quickness and technique trapping a ball and turning. For example, obviously Ronaldo should be quick with his ball skills and technique, like Robinho too. But someone like Campbell, Senderos or Vidic should be much slower when receiving a pass, controlling it, then turning and moving.

If one of them defenders receive a pass, they take more time to trap it, make the wrong move and might knock it bit longer than intended, then maybe a lurking opposition races for it, the defender barely gets to it, opposition slightly quicker than the defender you're controlling, so you press the bass button hoping you get to the ball before he does but end up flat on the pitch or possibly causing a FK.

Now that can happen when pressing the button and the defender responding quickly to your input, but due to his lack of quickness in his attribute, or even lack of ball trapping and technique, he might fail doing so.

Here we can have the best of both worlds, button responsiveness and realistic player attributes. This would lead us to being careful with such players and not just run about carelessly.

I'm not sure I explained this correctly but I hope my point got through without boring anyone :)
Check my comment about response times and why i feel that reducing the response times on individual players doesn't make it realistic. reducing the LIKELY of a shit player performing a first time pass accuratly is REALISTIC

I'll repost this quesiton in here as the 08 thread gets about 4 posts a day;

"For the ps3 owners outside the UK (and maybe inside aswell);

What languages did you have on the disc? In NL the fifa08 360 disc came with 3 languages; dutch, spanish and swedish. Was that the case on the ps3 version? Or did EA use the bluray disc and fill it with extra languages? Reason I ask is because its another deciding factor for which console version of 09 to choose."

The Italian version for 360 only had Italian, Spanish and French. So maybe all non UK versions don't include English?

Back
Top Bottom