FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Considering I'm getting only 30kb/s uploading it to youtube you could be waiting a while, better to grab the direct link from those free sites that give me 500kb/s - 1mb/s :)

I'm happy to be able to choose from two different games, or to buy two different games.

FIFA feels and plays different from PES, but this doesn't mean PES plays better.

Same old...? Are you kidding ? EA has made a new enigine, not KONAMI !

Just try to get into FIFA's gameplay ! It's not easy (but it also took some time learning PES1), but once you've understood the game, you'll see what's missing in PES (and vice versa ;) )

Same here ;)

I listenend to the Podcast and agreed with most of what they said but then not all.

The point were Adam was saying "its not enough to call it a evolution and its only tweaks etc" sounded very fanboyish as thats EXACTLY what your supposed to do once you have a quality engine in place. Also it IS a evolution believe me!

Others saying "I hope players arent unstoppable etc" well as i said in my review, the game is clearly in favour of defenders due to the collision system. i only conceded 1 goal in around 16-17 matches simply because most of them tried the 08 exploit of giving it to Ronaldo/Torres and hoping to run through but that doesnt work as simply these players go down more easily and thats the case 9/10 times they just got body checked the same way Coopz said above.

The other thing which I wanted to comment on today is after again playing it today, The response's arent the exact issue its the gauge which takes time to load up which is the problem i found. I also tried to take a different aproach today instead of in amazement of the game i tried to see if i could find any exploits etc, and from what i believe is this year Man Utd and Barcelona wont be the team to pick but will be more Chelsea, a team with big players can really dominate the game with their prescense if you get what i mean. It wasnt as if they were unstoppable as there not at all but like in 08 its somewhat something people may look at and try to take advantage of its nothing hugely bad but just my prediction ;))

There is clearly now player individuality in there and that was class IMO, you really have to do the things which cater to each individual.

again any questions lads just ask me if you want :))

I listenend to the Podcast and agreed with most of what they said but then not all.

The point were Adam was saying "its not enough to call it a evolution and its only tweaks etc" sounded very fanboyish as thats EXACTLY what your supposed to do once you have a quality engine in place. Also it IS a evolution believe me!

Others saying "I hope players arent unstoppable etc" well as i said in my review, the game is clearly in favour of defenders due to the collision system. i only conceded 1 goal in around 16-17 matches simply because most of them tried the 08 exploit of giving it to Ronaldo/Torres and hoping to run through but that doesnt work as simply these players go down more easily and thats the case 9/10 times they just got body checked the same way Coopz said above.

The other thing which I wanted to comment on today is after again playing it today, The response's arent the exact issue its the gauge which takes time to load up which is the problem i found. I also tried to take a different aproach today instead of in amazement of the game i tried to see if i could find any exploits etc, and from what i believe is this year Man Utd and Barcelona wont be the team to pick but will be more Chelsea, a team with big players can really dominate the game with their prescense if you get what i mean. It wasnt as if they were unstoppable as there not at all but like in 08 its somewhat something people may look at and try to take advantage of its nothing hugely bad but just my prediction ;))

There is clearly now player individuality in there and that was class IMO, you really have to do the things which cater to each individual.

again any questions lads just ask me if you want :))
Shooting and keepers - my two main gripes with 08, what have they done with those? Do the shots have more power on them? Have you managed to hit a shot that rises and rises shots which dip, shots which are too powerful to stop?

Do the keepers react realistically? Do they come and claim crosses and corners? Are they stronger at their near post, weaker at the far post, do they catch some shots instead of punching all of them, do they push it behind more instead of back to a striker etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:

Downloading from depositfiles.com and the speed was on 35kb/s but dont know why it kept dropping and now its on 3kb/s :(

my max d/l speed would reach 120kb/s

EDIT: Ok it just flew up to my max speed, ignore this message.

Rapidshare don't work for me it keeps saying no slots or whatever :(

Thank you. I'll use the ftp to download the portsmouth v newcastle game then since I haven't watched it yet.

It looks really smooth and Buffon's face looks awesome.

PS: It kinda reminds me PES... I don't know why

I think the main reason I thought of PES when I saw the first videos was that players actually ran into each other and were knocked around when they did. Same in PES when you run into a player something happens, rather than the players like in FIFA08 just running side by side for all eternity. The physical play is the things that caught my eye the most.

I think the main reason I thought of PES when I saw the first videos was that players actually ran into each other and were knocked around when they did. Same in PES when you run into a player something happens, rather than the players like in FIFA08 just running side by side for all eternity. The physical play is the things that caught my eye the most.

Very much so. The added physicality should add a hell of a lot to this game and make defending more of an art. I can't wait to try it!

As much as I appreciate all the videos that have been contributed so far, I think only the demo will reveal all of the subtle enhancements in Fifa 09.

Like young gun said and I expected physicality is obviously a big part of the game so I expect

Chelsea,Inter to be the team alot of people use to counter the Barca and Man Utd's of fifa 08 :P

(I do this already)

Looking at all the vid's it still seems the ball is stuck to players and never really runs free, but it's not looking too shabby, will have to see how they both stand up at Leipzig...

Looking at all the vid's it still seems the ball is stuck to players and never really runs free, but it's not looking too shabby, will have to see how they both stand up at Leipzig...

I'm guessing players in these videos are using fully assisted passing, shooting etc.....

Once we get the demo and can try full manual control I expect Fifa 09 to really come to life.:))

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you're talking about dribbling, but you know what I mean.

I think the ball is always going to look like that when players want to control it if it felt to loose then people would complain I reckon, I think some things will stay mechanical just to please the majority (those who are average gamers and not as hardcore or care as much about fifa as us)

I'm guessing players in these videos are using fully assisted passing, shooting etc.....

Once we get the demo and can try full manual control I expect Fifa 09 to really come to life.:))

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you're talking about dribbling, but you know what I mean.
Yeah I hope so, I just want clearances and loose balls to go into space and not as it is now where they all have to go to a player...

I could live without the snow TBH it's hardly necessary and usually poorly implemented. Fairly certain the PS3 exclusive will be an online mode unfortunately as I never play FIFA online...

wow the latest fifa 09 video of italy v france looks amazing

the player models are so much better and players height, physique really stands out

I could live without the snow TBH it's hardly necessary and usually poorly implemented. Fairly certain the PS3 exclusive will be an online mode unfortunately as I never play FIFA online...

My guess

Online Mode for both consoles is the be a pro from NHL 09 where you create your own player then join a team of friends etc and dominate online and with good performances slowly get to increase your players stats!

Exclusive Mode Something to maybe do with a Tournament Mode (or FIFA Interactive World Cup)

wow the latest fifa 09 video of italy v france looks amazing

the player models are so much better and players height, physique really stands out

I liked the video 2 :) maybe I am the only one that thought fifa 08 only had 10-15 problems that for the most part seem to have been sorted! if the only issues are response times (not been like PES) and one or two goal keeping issues then I will be very happy as I know there will be issues with the keeper no matter what is done people find a way

played my bro on fifa 08 tonight, loved it! so in my eyes fifa 09 is a win win situation

Shooting and keepers - my two main gripes with 08, what have they done with those? Do the shots have more power on them? Have you managed to hit a shot that rises and rises shots which dip, shots which are too powerful to stop?

Do the keepers react realistically? Do they come and claim crosses and corners? Are they stronger at their near post, weaker at the far post, do they catch some shots instead of punching all of them, do they push it behind more instead of back to a striker etc.?

Seems like your in luck then! Apart from the new "Collision System" Shooting, Tackling and Goalkeeping our the biggest improvements. the biggest is probably Goalkeeping. I can from my experience clearly say FIFA 09 keepers are the best in a footie game ever, They have clearly ripped out all of the old coding and started it from total stratch as there is none of the same reactions from the keepers like 08. They for me perform perfectly fine and that was a great relief.

Shooting as Adam said is definitely a lot better, you can really feel it when you smash a shot, you remember pro in the day when you hit a sweet shot and you new it was going to trouble the keeper you can now feel it, Definitely less floaty for sure! it can really fly sometimes if struck. Finesse shot has also been made harder for the better, remember in 08 when you could hold the button for ages before you shot to shape the shot, well if you do this on 09 it will make your shot slighly less accurate unlike in 08 when you could smash them in for fun.

Well there you go mate, i already answered all of that in my first review but no probs.

Back
Top Bottom