FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

The wait for FIFA 09 seems to be getting longer, not shorter.
i couldn't care less when it arrives, im patient;))

fifa09 is a great game given from the demo. response times are spot on like you said but i remember alot of you guys praising euro08 demo and saying its miles better then fifa08 yet after a few days of playing it(full version), some of you hated it. could it be the case for fifa09?

if am still play fifa 09 come feb 09, then this game is something special. playing on Manual is great but hard and you don't have much of a chance if you play against someone who plays on auto unless your manual passing is spot on which takes a shit load of time to be passing the ball around as if you are playing auto

I love how the AI changes tactics on the fly. Just had an awesoem 1-1 game as Toronto v Milan

They kept hammering me and I slid in for a goal which I didnt deserve, then they went all out attack lobbing it forward.

I find Toronto will try to slide and stretch for the ball more than any other team on the demo

I'm not trying to start a war here but I just wanted to say it, and I didn't want to resurrect the FIFA v PES thread (if it still exists) because then you really are encouraging flame wars.

I'm so desperate to get hold of FIFA 09 that I tried to play FIFA 08 and Euro 08; as I said in here after a few matches (along with the Terry screenshot comparison to show the difference in the faces now), it's unbearable. You constantly press the button to do things that are impossible in those games, like when you pass the ball forward to a marked striker but you press shoot anyway because the marker might make a mistake, or your striker might get away from him, or the ball might bobble. Obviously in the old games it never does, it's clockwork.

But I also play PES2008 on the PSP, which I've been playing for a couple of months now, and I've been enjoying it. Last night, I put it on, and I was so close to smashing the PSP against the wall (that's the thing with consoles, you can throw the pad around the room, but you can't do that with a PSP).

I was shocked; the reaction times are actually better in FIFA than in PES for the first time ever. It makes a huge difference. And against the CPU in PES, your player will constantly...

• "Trip" in a comical, flailing fashion, in a random direction far away from the ball allowing the CPU to collect it
  • Knock the ball ahead a huge amount just as you're reaching the box, so that the goalkeeper can collect it
  • Delay the response times when you're around opposition defenders, to ensure they get the ball or to give them chance to block the path of your pass
  • Rebound the ball into the perfect path of an oncoming opposition player
  • Rebound the ball out for an opposition throw if you're anywhere near the touchline
  • Pass directly to the opposition when the only player you could possibly be aiming towards is at a totally different angle
I know people will play both games, and I understand that the "automatic" nature of passing which allows fast exciting build-up play is why a lot of people play PES. But half the time your passing response time is impeded to give the AI a chance, and I also noticed your AI teammates give you no help whatsoever! I put wingers on the sides of the pitch with forward arrows and they would stay MOTIONLESS while I'm waiting for them to leg it up the wing!

I don't think I can play PES again, I really don't. All of the above annoy me so much, I thought I was going to have a stroke last night. It's not football IMO, it's too automatic, and the CPU cheating... Well, if I ever met Seabass, I would punch him in the face, honestly.

The more that you play FIFA 09 the more you realise just how far it has come. I can't play any other football game now, apart from SWOS (because it's too simple to "go wrong") and Football Manager (because it's a totally different genre, but I can't even play that now because of the "tactic cracking").

The wait for FIFA 09 seems to be getting longer, not shorter.

great post, you nailed everything. the more you play this game demo, the more you realise that the full game will offer you so much more. you really do need time to capatalise on tactics. the tactics actually work this time. i press offensive and suddenly a player is making aggressive runs forward when my playmaker has the ball.

it's so far above anything else i've played. i feel free to do anything.

those complaining are jamming on the run trigger too much. it's impossible to do much running in tight midfield battles (same in real life).

anyways, great post.

Yeah - and that (@ Kevano) ^^^ reminds me of my little experiment over the weekend - I played as every team against every other team until I'd played as all teams against all opposition and it's very clear to me that players do feel more different than ever before on a FIFA game.

Plus the differences in how the teams play is bloody great too!

fifa09 is a great game given from the demo. response times are spot on like you said but i remember alot of you guys praising euro08 demo and saying its miles better then fifa08 yet after a few days of playing it(full version), some of you hated it. could it be the case for fifa09?
that's because euro08 only had countries.

that gets boring after a while.

CB post makes me hate PES more :LOL: but still, i would get myself PES2009, only for my lovely pc. it's not worth my money for the console.

I have to admit, this game does tend to grow on you. If only the players and ball didn't feel so light and floaty. Also, the dribble/tricks execution is damn near impossible to pull off in-game in an effective way without loosing the ball, even if executed with the unmistakable Ronaldinho. When I usually execute a dribble, my player does a different trick and not the one I prompted with the RS. Perhaps I need more practice.

You do need to practice the tricks alot before being successful. I never used the tricks in the last one.

But I have spent some time trying to master some of the basic ones and can now use them ok in the game.

The step over and the rolling the ball under the foot are the easiest and effective as they are simple. But I managed to do the flick over my head from a standing position with two players coming at me from either side and I took them both out :DD looked really cool.

You just have to keep practicing. I am no where near being great with the tricks though - but I will keep trying.

Bitter Rivals was good at some tricks in game in Fifa 08 - so he might be able to give some pointers?

Also, the performance rating dropping if you stray out of position doesn't mean that he will head worse if he is not where he is supposed to be, it probably just means that his match rating (like the one newspapers give players after a game, scoring them based on their performance) will be worse if a defender suddenly starts leaving holes in the defence and going on his own little missions elsewhere. Basically you need to play like Captain Your Country in Euro08, and not stray away from your designated position too much.
Ok I should've probably made myself a 'lil clearer. I guess by performance rating I meant their overall ability/attribute rating as defined by Michael Müller-Möhring - Football Data Manager in the IGN blog Fifa08 where he states:

One of the most important aspects of creating an authentic football gameplay experience is to create players that look, move and play like their real-life counterparts. That’s why the database and the overall ability or rating of each player is so important. We use 35 attributes to calculate the overall ability of a player and every position has its own formula. Each attribute is weighted and its importance is based on the player’s position. For example, attributes like “Marking”, “Tackling” and “Heading” are more important to the overall make up of a centre back than a winger.

In most cases this calculation is a mix of physical attributes (Strength, Speed, Stamina, Agility etc.), mental attributes (Positioning, Vision, Tactical Awareness etc.) and the skill attributes (Crossing, Dribbling, Short Passing, Tackling etc.).​
So there's that. And here is where Rutter explained how every overall attribute rating will be levelled for Fifa09 Clubs, essentially standardized across all players:

IGN: I hear that every player on the pitch in this mode is set to the same attribute level. Why do this? Shouldn't I be rewarded for building up my character in the offline Be A Pro mode?
Rutter: Linking your offline character in Be A Pro is a great idea and is something we are certainly looking at doing. But for this year, because it's a new concept and game mode, we didn't want to penalize people who supported lower tier clubs. We don't always want people to play as Barcelona or Real Madrid; sometimes we want them to play as Toronto FC. If Toronto FC had the same level of player attributes they I would be judged on my controller skills rather than the attributes of my virtual player on the pitch. So it is all about being a better player of the game then a better player in the game.

At which point I was wondering what that overall rating will be, until I came across the new Q&A yesterday which explained:

Q: Will the strength of the goalie be the same in all clubs?
A: Yes, all players are levelled to an 85 overall.

Q: What kind of strength will the CPU controlled players have? Will a Rooney be stronger than a Pantelic or will all CPU players have the same strength?
A: All players are levelled to an 85 overall. The individual attributes have all been set to relative strengths of the player’s preferred position. So all CBs will have the same set of stats and all RWs will have the same set of stats, but their attributes will be different based on the needs of their position. If a user moves a player out of their preferred position, their overall rating may drop.​

So...from what I can tell there will be two ratings:

• The players' overall ability - which dictates the potential of the virtual player on the field according to the breakdown of attributes that differ depending on position. So players will control strikers, defenders, mids,etc that each has an overall 85 ability rating, to make it fair across the board. And the quote from the Q&A above seem to suggest that this overall rating might dip below 85 if he's not utilized properly, which in turn makes the virtual footballer less efficient to use.
  • The performance rating - post-match result. How well you make use of that 85-rating virtual footballer. Whether you're connecting passes, delivering accurate crosses, etc Essentially, your controller skills and how good you are as "player of the game" (as pointed out by Rutter)

And its the latter that contributes to your team's total points and in turn, the Clubs'.

Man, I'm just too hyped for the game so pardon my over-thinking/dissection of a feature none of us had the chance to even try. :-pp

Last edited:
The CPU decides when to bring the goalkeeper up, but I'm presuming if there's ten minutes or less to go and you have the defence/attack bar on full attack, he will come up.

Me and CW were playing coop and were 1-0 up and the CPU got a corner in the last few mins, their keeper came up for the corner! :DD Even more pleasing was that from the first corner they got a 2nd corner and he stayed up :)).

The overall rating dropping when out of position is natural - When you put a centre back up front as a striker in a single player game then his rating normally goes to about 50 but it doesn't make them weaker or worse in the air. The overall rating is taken from the stats of relevance to the position they are in. I don't think it would change the player's actual abilities.

Me and CW were playing coop and were 1-0 up and the CPU got a corner in the last few mins, their keeper came up for the corner! :DD Even more pleasing was that from the first corner they got a 2nd corner and he stayed up :)).

Yep, I posted about that earlier. And from my goalkick, their goalie was still on the halfway line sprinting back :DD

Most of the guys on this forum are really looking forward,understandably,to playing on-line in some form or other.
For those who play off-line could this be the first football game to offer an experience equal to a challenge of a human opponent?
Manager mode is,to some,the most played part of the game.
Anyone getting excited?

Most of the guys on this forum are really looking forward,understandably,to playing on-line in some form or other.
For those who play off-line could this be the first football game to offer an experience equal to a challenge of a human opponent?
Anyone getting excited?

Me, for one.

I only play on-line once I'm bored with the single player mode (or when I'm drunk).

I defo think the single player is going to be an unparalleled experience due to the changing/different tactics and playing style for each team.

Then on top of that you have "proper" subs by the CPU - oh yes!

Roll on the 3rd....

Anyone getting excited?
i think it's getting very close, the CPU seems to be getting more unpredictable. which is good.

Anyone getting excited?

I cant wait for a manager mode with Arsenal - will be good to have not only all the gameplay additions but also things like new kits, transfers and manual celebrations (little things that make it all the more sweet)

When you guys do manager mode - do you play matches in time with real life, i.e. make it last, or just play through at your own pace? Tempted to do the former this year!

Anyone getting excited?

haha damn right i'm excited! Been playing Manager Mode with couple of my buddies who come over every Saturday (offline co-op)... there's just that intangible feeling that can only be experienced when you and your friends fail to qualify for the ECC/EFA for like the upteenth time on Legendary mode. The disappointment quickly dissipates however, when we find gems in the transfer market like Ronaldinho or Robinho being listed as "Free Agent"...lol wtf.

I think everyone who knows me knows I'm all about the manager mode and yeah I really can't wait to get started, probably do a 2x10 Sheff Weds manager mode and a 2x6 min Portsmouth or Newcastle manager mode :)

When you guys do manager mode - do you play matches in time with real life, i.e. make it last, or just play through at your own pace? Tempted to do the former this year!

Don't really follow you?

I think everyone who knows me knows I'm all about the manager mode and yeah I really can't wait to get started, probably do a 2x10 Sheff Weds manager mode and a 2x6 min Portsmouth or Newcastle manager mode :)

Don't really follow you?

Think he means - only play one fixture a week - that's how I read it?

I couldn't do that!

That's what he meant, yep.

In FM I do one fixture a day to make it last, in FIFA I can't help playing lots of matches because it's a different kind of game. If I only played it every match-day I'd be very frustrated from not playing the game often enough (and you'd have no opportunity to finish seasons, do transfers etc.)!

Manager Mode is definitely the crucial 1 for me as i spent most time in that mode when i play fifa08 on pc, even it such a BS. can't wait for this baby to came out!

Ok I should've probably made myself a 'lil clearer. I guess by performance rating I meant their overall ability/attribute rating as defined by Michael Müller-Möhring - Football Data Manager in the IGN blog Fifa08 where he states:

One of the most important aspects of creating an authentic football gameplay experience is to create players that look, move and play like their real-life counterparts. That’s why the database and the overall ability or rating of each player is so important. We use 35 attributes to calculate the overall ability of a player and every position has its own formula. Each attribute is weighted and its importance is based on the player’s position. For example, attributes like “Marking”, “Tackling” and “Heading” are more important to the overall make up of a centre back than a winger.

In most cases this calculation is a mix of physical attributes (Strength, Speed, Stamina, Agility etc.), mental attributes (Positioning, Vision, Tactical Awareness etc.) and the skill attributes (Crossing, Dribbling, Short Passing, Tackling etc.).​
So there's that. And here is where Rutter explained how every overall attribute rating will be levelled for Fifa09 Clubs, essentially standardized across all players:

IGN: I hear that every player on the pitch in this mode is set to the same attribute level. Why do this? Shouldn't I be rewarded for building up my character in the offline Be A Pro mode?
Rutter: Linking your offline character in Be A Pro is a great idea and is something we are certainly looking at doing. But for this year, because it's a new concept and game mode, we didn't want to penalize people who supported lower tier clubs. We don't always want people to play as Barcelona or Real Madrid; sometimes we want them to play as Toronto FC. If Toronto FC had the same level of player attributes they I would be judged on my controller skills rather than the attributes of my virtual player on the pitch. So it is all about being a better player of the game then a better player in the game.

At which point I was wondering what that overall rating will be, until I came across the new Q&A yesterday which explained:

Q: Will the strength of the goalie be the same in all clubs?
A: Yes, all players are levelled to an 85 overall.

Q: What kind of strength will the CPU controlled players have? Will a Rooney be stronger than a Pantelic or will all CPU players have the same strength?
A: All players are levelled to an 85 overall. The individual attributes have all been set to relative strengths of the player’s preferred position. So all CBs will have the same set of stats and all RWs will have the same set of stats, but their attributes will be different based on the needs of their position. If a user moves a player out of their preferred position, their overall rating may drop.​

So...from what I can tell there will be two ratings:

• The players' overall ability - which dictates the potential of the virtual player on the field according to the breakdown of attributes that differ depending on position. So players will control strikers, defenders, mids,etc that each has an overall 85 ability rating, to make it fair across the board. And the quote from the Q&A above seem to suggest that this overall rating might dip below 85 if he's not utilized properly, which in turn makes the virtual footballer less efficient to use.
  • The performance rating - post-match result. How well you make use of that 85-rating virtual footballer. Whether you're connecting passes, delivering accurate crosses, etc Essentially, your controller skills and how good you are as "player of the game" (as pointed out by Rutter)

And its the latter that contributes to your team's total points and in turn, the Clubs'.

Man, I'm just too hyped for the game so pardon my over-thinking/dissection of a feature none of us had the chance to even try. :-pp

Cheers for that informative reply, makes everything crystal clear. :)

Though to be honest not really that hot for it, but since they seemingly hadn't the time to implement so that you train your virtual footballer offline and then play with them online, it will suffice for now I suppose.

I just think that it will be boring having all players running at the exact same pace, shooting as hard etc, unless the overall is 85 but the attributes are weighted differently, some players being better at shooting and some being faster or such.

if am still play fifa 09 come feb 09, then this game is something special. playing on Manual is great but hard and you don't have much of a chance if you play against someone who plays on auto unless your manual passing is spot on which takes a shit load of time to be passing the ball around as if you are playing auto

That was my experience as well with EURO, the demo seemed miles better than the actual release. However I never gave FIFA 08 a chance because I felt that the demo was poor.

Don't really follow you?

What I mean is I am thinking of playing fixtures in manager mode on the actual days that they occur in real life, and spend my time in between playing exhibition kick-off matches (which I can pretend are like training or something)

I think this could be really cool, and longing it out over an entire season means that if I actually win the league at the end of the season the build up will make it feel that much better!

In the past whenever in manager mode I play a couple of matches a day and it doesnt really feel like a long and challenging season!

Guys , is this confirmed:

b]Germany[/b]

1. Allianz (Bayern Munich)
2. Bay Arena (Leverkusen)
3. Deutsch Stadion (Generic Germany)
4. Nordbank (Hamburger SV)
5. Olympiastadion (Hertha BSC)
6. Signal Iduna (Borussia Dortmund)
7. Veltins (Shalke 04)

England

1. Anfield (Liverpool)
2. British Lane (Generic England)
3. Emirates (Arsenal)
4. Old Trafford (Manchester United)
5. St. James (Newcastle)
6. Stamford Bridge (Chelsea)
7. Wembley (FA)
8. Div 1 UK (Generic)
9. Div 2 UK (Generic)

Spain

1. Camp Nou (Barcelona)
2. Espanyol (Generic - Spain)
3. Mestalla (Valencia)
4. V. Calderon (Atletico)
5. Mediano Espanol (Generic)

Italy

1. Dell'Alpi (Juventus)
2. Italiano (Generic)
3. Stadio Olimpico (Roma, Lazio)
4. San Siro (AC, Inter)

France

1. Pars De Princess (PSG)
2. Gerland (Lyon)
3. Velodrome (Marseille)

Mexico

1. Azteca (Mexico)
2. Mexico (Generic)

Wales

1. Millenium (Wales)

Generic Stadiums

1. Div 1 EUR
2. Div 2 EUR
3. Des Las Artes (Generic)
4. Latin (Generic)
5. Brazil (Generic) Qual será o estádio?
6. Football Ground- looks like a division 3 stadium (Generic)
7. Africa (Generic)
8. Europe 2 (Generic)
9. Square Open (Generic)
10. Netherlands (Generic)
11. Olimpico Generic

Portugal

1. Estádio da Luz (Sport Lisboa e Benfica)
2. Estádio do Bessa (Boavista F.C.)
3. Estádio do Dragão (Futebol Clube do Porto)
4. Alvalade XXI (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Coreia do Sul

1. Daegu Sports Complex (Daegu FC)
2. Seoul Sang-Am (FC Seoul e a República da Coréia)

Estados Unidos da América

1. Home Depot Center1,5 (Los Angeles Galaxy, Chivas USA e a Seleção)

Austria

1. Tivoli-Neu Stadion
2. Hypo-Arena
3. Wals Siezenheim
4. Ernst Happel

Suiça

1. St. Jakob-Park
2. Stade de Suisse
3. Stade de Genève
4. Letzigrund.

Ligas no FIFA 09:

1. A-League
2. Liga Argentina Primera Division - NOVA
3. Austrian Bundesliga Österrikiska
4. Belgian Jupiler League
5. Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A
6. Gambrinus liga
7. Danish Superliga
8. Barclays Premier League
9. Football League Championship
10. Football League One
11. Football League Two
12. Ligue 1
13. Ligue 2
14. Liga Macedonia 1 - NOVA!
15. Futball-Bundesliga
16. 2. Futball-Bundesliga
17. Eircom League of Ireland
18. Serie A
19. Serie B
20. K-League
21. Major League Soccer
22. Primera Division de Mexico
23. Russian Premier League 1
23. Ryska Premier League 1 - NOVA!
24. Eredivisie
25. Norwegian Premier League
26. Orange Ekstraklasa
27. Liga Sagres
28. Scottish Premier League
29. South-africa Premier Soccer League 1 - NOVA!
30. Spanish La Liga
31. Segunda Division A
32. Allsvenskan
33. Swiss Super League
34. Turkcell Super League
35. Rest of World

i found strange it lists argetninian league, while tehres no argentinian league logo in the demo entrance screen

also , i liked that we will have toons of generic stadiums and one for each contry almost.

What I mean is I am thinking of playing fixtures in manager mode on the actual days that they occur in real life, and spend my time in between playing exhibition kick-off matches (which I can pretend are like training or something)

I think this could be really cool, and longing it out over an entire season means that if I actually win the league at the end of the season the build up will make it feel that much better!

In the past whenever in manager mode I play a couple of matches a day and it doesnt really feel like a long and challenging season!

Oh no I couldn't do that, I like to get a few matches in for each session, 2x10mins still takes plenty of time as it is :)

I might give it a go, and like I said, spend the lead up to the game playing friendly "training matches" to try out new players/tactics/formations - think it could add alot of meaning/excitement to the MM matches.

And we are going to have BAP:Seasons to play with - this game is going to be too good.

Back
Top Bottom