FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

It might be serious......but it's not true. It's there. Have a look at the button configuration in case you're holding down the wrong button. The default configuration swapped a couple of the shoulder buttons for me.

Totally agree. This is the most amazing football experience to date. No question about it. The more I play the demo the more I like it. I was expecting much from this game but this was even better than I thought it would be. :DD and this is just the demo with 2 minutes halves...:w00t:

One of the things that people find negative that I really like is that the referee shows more cards. I like that you get cards not only from sliding tackles. You should have to play a bit more cautious when you have got booked. That is realistic to me.

Overall, a lot of the things that people don't like, I find realistic. I just hope that EA don't get too much critique for creating a more realistic experience but I am afraid they do. People want arcade... :((

The midfield battles are just brilliant! Bring on october 3rd..

Some people want arcade, some people sim.

I really can't understand the violent negativity towards it at some websites, although admittedly, if it's widespread (IGN, MaxConsole, the EA forums) then quite a few people must have issues with it.

I've been reading all the major forums over the past few days and I'm fairly certain that a problem we've been seeing all year is still going on. People are still confusing the PC and next-gen console versions. On PES Gaming in particular (for some reason that place is the worst offender, IMO) on Thursday they seemed to love downloading the PC demo version of FIFA09, and dismissing it. I'd say this accounts for a lot of the negativity you still see out there.

Over on the official EA forums the line is clearly drawn between last-gen and next-gen versions, so the negaitivity there might be slightly more constructive and worth paying attention to. Well, if most of it wasn't from ADHD-afflicted 15-year-olds, it would be.

After a few days on the demo I'm not seeing many negatives. The 'Bobby Charlton' goals that I'm hearing about - and nearly scoring - are amazing. The PS3 graphics are a worry for me personally right now. Otherwise, I suppose I'll know in January if FIFA09 is the game it appears right now to be. If I'm still playing it then, it most likely will be.

It might be serious......but it's not true. It's there. Have a look at the button configuration in case you're holding down the wrong button. The default configuration swapped a couple of the shoulder buttons for me.

Apologies, yes it is there! I swear it wasn't working at first though but everything seems normal now :)

Thanks very much

Uh oh, I just scored from kick off from the fully powered up long ball :-ll. I just tried it a couple of times to see if it would still cause goals/corners to see if they fixed it, and they havn't.

Is it possible to practise freekicks or penalties in arena mode?

yeah on the 360 decide where you want to take a free kick and press the dpad and it will set u up for a freekick (no wall though) do the same in the area for a penalty

it has been well over 48 hours since the demo was released on Xbox Live and still Silver users can't download it. What is it three days exclusive to Gold members? So annoying, I would think 48 hours would be enough to get their point across that they want people to buy live...

Anyone think the outside of the boot shots occur way to often?

Also, the ball hits the post/bar waaaaaaay too often.

Just had a couple of amazing games against a mate. Really flowing stuff. We experimented with passing the ball about and to my surprise the speed felt just right when we did; it's only when playing the CPU on the hardest difficulty that you feel it, because they press constantly throughout the match. I experimented just now by putting the CPU difficulty down a notch and the constant pressing wasn't as bad - but ironically I got beat 2-0, which is my biggest defeat so far!! :|

But yeah, I nearly scored the best goal of my life. I was dinking it about in midfield, real Barcelona stuff, sprayed a ball out to the winger (who started his run there on his own accord, very intelligent movement all around), who floated it in PERFECTLY to the near post. So satisfying when it's you that's powering it up and not the game. Van Nistelrooy started running (again on his own) into position to head it, and I managed to get up and put real power on the header... Only for it to go inches wide. It was gut-wrenching.

Also hit a screamer from 35 yards out (realising the keeper was out) and it went just a smidge over the bar. And after that, I did a cross from the midfield that Ronaldinho hit on the volley, we both said "what a great goal" ... until we realised it had hit the side netting, at which point I corrected myself; "what a great goal that would have been"!

Something else I just noticed, the first couple of games were cards galore - in fairness I think the tackles would have got cards in real life because they weren't well-timed, I think some of us are a bit stuck in the "gaming" world, by which I mean this; we press tackle to try and get the ball and if the tackle misses, we just get on with it (you do in PES anyway, apart from PES5 where the referee would blow if you so much as farted). In the real world, mistimed tackles earn yellow cards, because pros rarely mistime tackles.

But anyway, in the last game we had, there were a few bad tackles, and the referee gave free-kicks, but didn't get the card out once. Do you get different referees in the demo I wonder?

(By the way, I play on semi shooting and I haven't hit the post or the bar yet in-game; only in the arena)

Last edited:

What a goal!

After watching that tricks tutorial, I decided I would try that McGeady trick in a match - I was facing the sideline with a defender on my back, then I pulled off that trick which perfectly beat the defender, then I got a cross in and Van Nistelrooy heads across the keeper and into the top corner.

the last time i enjoyed playing a fifa game was fifa 98 road to the worldcup,since iss pro evolution soccer it was only the pes series for me,and until pes2008 i found pes superiour in everything but the licences.
pes 2008 was a disgrace compared to pes6 on ps2,i have good hopes for pes 2009 ,but after playing the fifa 09 demo i have to admit its a very good game that i am going to buy,i like that i can play the same way like pes through the buttonconfiguration,using the d-pad for moving and l1 for sprinting is so much more natural to me,and this way i can swith between pes2009 and fifa09 without adjusting.
i find the crosses and shooting,and also the high troughball not as good as pes6 on ps2,but the animations and collisions are beter in fifa09.
i like that you can choose gamespeed(slow for me),and camerahight and distance,the playermodels are much improved and the playerfaces look not as neanderthalers like in the past.
i dont know if in the retailversion you can customize this,but i find the dots on the radar not good enough,sometimes i cant see wich are from my teams,playing fairly closecam i need this for my passinggame.
hope pes2009 is also a good game than there are two good footballgames this year.
about the leagues in fifa09,i believe in fifa08 there were 30 leagues,but in the demo i see only 24 leaguelogos ,and i did not see belgian league,is the list not complete or are there 6 leagues less this year?

Just put Euro 2008 in for something to do (the two-minute halves are killing me)...

The faces, compared to FIFA 09, are unrecognisable. It's shocking, and I thought the faces were great in Euro! What a comparison. Look at John Terry on Euro 2008, then look at him on FIFA 09. It's like two different people!

I think this game is amazing. The more you play it the better it is. I'm learning new things all the time like the curled through ball for example.For me Fifa 08 was great but wasn't responsive enough but this is on a different level. I'm getting the same feeling I used to get when playing Pro Evo a few years ago !!

Can anyone tell me how to change the gamespeed in the PS3 demo? Is it possible?
Go into the settings before the game, press R2 to access the "advanced" settings, and the game-speed option is the last option (you have to scroll to the very bottom).

When the Fifa 08 demo came out last year, the response was mixed, just like it is right now with this demo. Then the full game came out and on some level played a better game than the demo did, and reactions from people were somewhat better (just go back to last year in the forums to see what I'm talking about).

I see this year being no different. Although the final product is usually the same as the demos, we have to realize that this build is certainly a month or more old as the rosters are outdated (compared with the Fifa 09 PC demo)so there still may be a few tweaks to the final game before it goes gold.

I am loving the demo - cant wait for the full version to come out. Is anyone having problems when playing multiplayer on configuring the second controller? I mean you can set the controls for passing, shooting etc to manual however you can not change the second persons controller to Alternate configuration. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Really, really good. I could write an essay but I think it's all been said already.

I understand what Thomas was on about though with the slow control of players, but to combat this I use the "trick/modifier" button and it gives you close control straight away. Helps a lot for turning with the ball quickly.

As for the pace of the game, we, I had this last year aswell. Not so much that the "pace" of the game was really fast, but that you ended up rushing everything to score. Made the complaints about responsiveness and all that seem all the more valid. Im seeing the same happen to me atm, games just seem a kick and rush-fest when you try to do the same amount as a normal match. Really you should "aim" to create one good chance/passage of play per half instead of scoring/winning. It calms it right down and makes it all the better. Oh well, 3 weeks till release.

it has been well over 48 hours since the demo was released on Xbox Live and still Silver users can't download it. What is it three days exclusive to Gold members? So annoying, I would think 48 hours would be enough to get their point across that they want people to buy live...
It sucks, Silver members have to wait 7 days to download demos. So we'll have to wait till' next week.

Trying to play Euro 2008 (or FIFA 08 for that matter) is horrible after playing the FIFA 09 demo. Put the game on professional and Andorra play better than Real Madrid do on the hardest difficulty, your tackles fly around the player rather than at him, you find yourself pressing shoot hoping the ball will bounce loose (forgetting that it doesn't in the older games)... You can feel just how much the game has improved, it's like when the old PES games used to tweak things from release to release, except this is a massive step forward.

Just to show you what I meant by the faces in FIFA 08/Euro 2008 being a lot worse than I remember, and how much better they are now (taken with phone camera so apologies about the quality, but it's good enough to see the difference)...

John Terry in Euro 2008
terry1mr2.jpg

John Terry now in FIFA 09
terry2ae0.jpg

Look at the difference! They look like two different people!

Back
Top Bottom