FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Is that true regarding the replays being stored in memory for the entire game length?

Also, why are the controls better on the PS3 over the 360? Merely the controller, or something more sinister (Mwahaha)?

Well i only just got the PS3 demo (i'm online right now even going back and forth between 360 and PS3. I promise you it looks better on 360. Dunno why. Maybe the resolution settings?) and I did a curled throughball, went to the replay mode, and just hit rewind all the way expecting it to stop after a sec (like the 360 one) but it kept going on and on, right back till kick off lol.

I hope it's in the final game. I'm betting its a PS3 exclusive feature.

I like the controls better on PS3 and i don't know why. I think the sensitive analogue sticks suit the tricks and the tricky nature you're meant to use them. :)Cause there aren't any notches/groves on the PS3 one i'm doing step-overs easier than ever. Infact first thing i did was beat the gk in the arena with step-overs before a game with Pato in the PS3 version.

I dunno man. Normally i like the 360 controller more.

I promise you guys i'm nt being a fanboy about this. Not sure if anyone else mentioned the differences, but those are the major ones. You can't tell in screenshots off my tv so i'm guessing it's a resolution thing (with the muddy visuals).

Just played a few more game against a mate and every time i was though on goal i could score with a finesse shot across the keeper

im not liking that at all

It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't create chances but the running of the players makes a though ball very very easy for a 1 on 1 with the keeper

Just played a few more game against a mate and every time i was though on goal i could score with a finesse shot across the keeper

im not liking that at all

It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't create chances but the running of the players makes a though ball very very easy for a 1 on 1 with the keeper

I would guess that you use semi or assisted shooting then?

What's weird is that I was getting annoyed last night with finesse shots being saved in one-on-ones every single time.

But I am rubbish at the game. :)

i didn't change it so it must be assisted, ill have to knock it down to semi and try it

That's not hiding the fact how easy it will be in 10 vs 10 for others though, or maybe its a demo thing to make the game more enjoyable in a short space of time

First off I am neither pro-FIFA or pro-Evo, having played both over the past 10 years or so depending simply on which game I preferred that year. That said can someone PLEASE explain to me this insistence that in PES you "feel" the individuality of players whereas in FIFA you don't - it honestly makes no sense and seems to be just a nonsensical argument someone made up a while back and has just been blindly accepted.
I posted this several months ago in the PES09 forum and got no reply (other than Placebo agreeing with me):

Seriously I don't get this - other than superior pace and/or unique special skills how do you 'have' the individuality of players?? All that the programmers can do is give them numerical coding in the different categories of ratings and make different players better at doing different things, not as if they can inject a persona into polygons.
Of course you can make them look very similar to their real life counterparts in physical attributes but what is this individuality of which you speak? And please don't respond that 'you can just FEEL the difference in PES' - elaborate on what exactly it is that you're feeling - other then a player having a higher rating and being able to shoot, pass, dribble, run, man-mark, tackle or do skills well, what gives them this 'individuality'?
I think this might simply exist in your mind cuz programming is just numbers and characters plain and simple. Seriously, what can you expect out of a computer generated player other than to have a higher rating in their stats?? They can't actually have character or personality - they're just a bunch of pixels.
I've played PES for years and seems to me that players all pretty much do everything the same within their ranking sector but maybe I'm just not seeing it.

What's weird is that I was getting annoyed last night with finesse shots being saved in one-on-ones every single time.

But I am rubbish at the game. :)

I just position the player so he opens his body up

so your kinda diagonal before hitting it

First off I am neither pro-FIFA or pro-Evo, having played both over the past 10 years or so depending simply on which game I preferred that year. That said can someone PLEASE explain to me this insistence that in PES you "feel" the individuality of players whereas in FIFA you don't - it honestly makes no sense and seems to be just a nonsensical argument someone made up a while back and has just been blindly accepted.
I posted this several months ago in the PES09 forum and got no reply (other than Placebo agreeing with me):

Seriously I don't get this - other than superior pace and/or unique special skills how do you 'have' the individuality of players?? All that the programmers can do is give them numerical coding in the different categories of ratings and make different players better at doing different things, not as if they can inject a persona into polygons.
Of course you can make them look very similar to their real life counterparts in physical attributes but what is this individuality of which you speak? And please don't respond that 'you can just FEEL the difference in PES' - elaborate on what exactly it is that you're feeling - other then a player having a higher rating and being able to shoot, pass, dribble, run, man-mark, tackle or do skills well, what gives them this 'individuality'?
I think this might simply exist in your mind cuz programming is just numbers and characters plain and simple. Seriously, what can you expect out of a computer generated player other than to have a higher rating in their stats?? They can't actually have character or personality - they're just a bunch of pixels.
I've played PES for years and seems to me that players all pretty much do everything the same within their ranking sector but maybe I'm just not seeing it.
I think that's a very good post, and I agree with you practically 100%. But saying that, the place you notice it most is in the career modes.

In PES's Master League, if I buy a new player, you do get a "feel" for him straight away. But I think this might be because the difference is exaggerated; he will be a lot faster or a lot slower, he will "get away" with certain dribbling movements more than others and beat more men (purely because the CPU cheats less when they have to deal with a better player - the harder AI difficulties only deals with you by making your players less responsive, rather than its own players more intelligent), his shots won't balloon over the bar as often (which pisses me off with PES6 and beyond, tap the shoot button with nobody around you and the ball will blast over the bar for no apparent reason) etc...

Whereas in FIFA, especially at a lower-league level, you feel like you may as well not buy replacements unless their skill level is 10 points higher overall at least. Because their speed and the AI interaction with them will be the same. And I think this also leads to the issue people have where playing Man Utd or Toronto FC is exactly the same - I can see where they're coming from, although I've felt it improve a lot more in this demo. Even saying that, it's not that different from PES. I will be pushed to the max playing Man Utd but my last PES2008 on PSP game with them finished 5-5, whereas playing Fulham is a bit easier (last result 2-1 to me). Not hugely different, especially on the hardest difficulty.

Last edited:

Fast and slow is the only difference in PES between players apart from finishing and heading when your in on goal

Thats why people used to play Carlos up front, so i would like to see what people mean about PES had the individuality of players as well

i didn't change it so it must be assisted, ill have to knock it down to semi and try it

That's not hiding the fact how easy it will be in 10 vs 10 for others though, or maybe its a demo thing to make the game more enjoyable in a short space of time

Yes coopz change the passing and shooting to at least semi and it's a completly different game.

In ISS when I'm playing with Milan or Italy I usually play the game through Pirlo, when he is on the ball you instanly know because of the way he slows the game down and because of how he passes the ball. The way he moves, the way he forces you to play differently when he is in possesion, its these small things that do it for me.

Deco is another player who is in the same mould, in ISS he doesn't roll the ball under his foot like he does in real life but when your passing and shooting with him you get that feeling and you think to yourself "I'm controlling Deco here and not Xavi, I can feel the difference in my fingers".

In the Fifa demo Guti feels exactly the same as Diarra, both are completly different players yet you dont feel it. When Kaka and Ronaldhino are the ball you can feel it because they move differently to the rest.

its hard to explain.

Fast and slow is the only difference in PES between players apart from finishing and heading when your in on goal

Thats why people used to play Carlos up front, so i would like to see what people mean about PES had the individuality of players as well

Agility, dribbling, balance, shot power and accuracy were also definitely distinguishable from player to player. I think a lot of the other attributes did play a part, but were more subtle.

I made up a Scotland legends team in PES3 or thereabouts and by exaggerating the key attributes of certain players (eg. Joe Jordan, big, powerful, great header....Gordon Strachan, small, skilful, good acceleration....Mo Johnston, lethal finisher, etc), every player felt very distinctive and I felt very happy to play with this team filled with personality. The PES editor was excellent for manipulating stats and also players' appearance.

That said, the vast majority of players in PES were generic with made up stats, so were barely more distinctive than they are in FIFA.

If FIFA had the same editing options as PES, I think we'd be able to create very distinctive players. Ronaldinho feels very different to others, likewise Drogba...proof that it's already in the game.

i do see a lot of diference between passes and long passes too..acurancy wise and speed too.
thats something ull only notice if u play it for a considerable amount of time the game, same goes for fifa...
if u dont play it a lot ull only notice speed and drible ability difernce.

in pes u can notice balance, speed and drible if u dont play it a lot.
But than u start noticing more diferences and after u got used to the game ull evan notice diferent ways of positioning(due to ofense and defense stats)and how the mentality and teamwork stat affects players.

Game speed:

I've only played it on SLOW from my first match so don't know how fast NORMAL or FAST are, but I find that SLOW is absolutely as fast as I would want it.

I'd like to think that they change this so that what is currently SLOW becomes NORMAL and they create a new SLOW which is about 10% slower.

I am a hardcore PES fan, but I have to say I enjoyed the FIFA 09 demo.

Obviously it feels really different to Pro Evo. But customizing the controls to fit the PES scheme helped a lot. And while it may not feel as natural to me as PES does, I think the actual gameplay is realistic.

I blocked a penalty and scored on a quick counter attack and it was very satisfying.

It looks like I'll be buying both for the first time and we'll see what I play more.

I think that's a very good post, and I agree with you practically 100%. But saying that, the place you notice it most is in the career modes.

In PES's Master League, if I buy a new player, you do get a "feel" for him straight away. But I think this might be because the difference is exaggerated; he will be a lot faster or a lot slower, he will "get away" with certain dribbling movements more than others and beat more men (purely because the CPU cheats less when they have to deal with a better player - the harder AI difficulties only deals with you by making your players less responsive, rather than its own players more intelligent), his shots won't balloon over the bar as often (which pisses me off with PES6 and beyond, tap the shoot button with nobody around you and the ball will blast over the bar for no apparent reason) etc...

Whereas in FIFA, especially at a lower-league level, you feel like you may as well not buy replacements unless their skill level is 10 points higher overall at least. Because their speed and the AI interaction with them will be the same. And I think this also leads to the issue people have where playing Man Utd or Toronto FC is exactly the same - I can see where they're coming from, although I've felt it improve a lot more in this demo. Even saying that, it's not that different from PES. I will be pushed to the max playing Man Utd but my last PES2008 on PSP game with them finished 5-5, whereas playing Fulham is a bit easier (last result 2-1 to me). Not hugely different, especially on the hardest difficulty.

In my opinion what i think people meant when they say that is, the feeling that you have when for an example you control Drogba in PES is hard to take the ball out of him, not because of the speed but because of the balance that he have. When controlling Messi is the same you can turn fast, and not just for the speed, because with wright philips you can run fast but the turning sucks, and in the past FIFAS the problem is that you just feel diferences in run and streght of players, of course there´s the pass and shooting skill that afects all players as well. In previous PES you with Gerrard or Lampard can make amazing passes but if you try with a player less effective on passing you cannot do that.

I think the whole question in here is that the player attributes have a greater feeling and impact in PES than in FIFA

But yes in PES 2008 the speed and balance is all that count because with etoo messi ronaldo and ronaldinho you do whatever you want, but in previous PES the feeling is other, so lets see this PES 2009

But i´ve been playing this Fifa 09 for many games and i think that this feeling is in this game to now, in example with chelsea if you are with joe cole against a tough defender like heinze is difficult to pass just running, you have to drible around them.

But FIFA 09 steel lack sometimes in responsiveness, maybe because of the difficult in 360 controllers like someone said back there.

I also remember reading something a few years ago about PES that if you have a player with high technique and passing such as Zidane in the older games,

other players would make better runs, so finding a player with Zidane, Pirlo etc would be easier. I always thought this was a good way of implimenting the qualities of a highly technical player.

In real life a player would possibly make more runs if a Pirlo type player was on the ball, as they know that Pirlo has a good chance of spotting and finding them.

This differance in technical ability of each player has still not been replicated in FIFA

Anyone else noticed this on the PS3 version? The ref will play advantage and then bring the play back for a free kick no matter what happens, few times i've run through and the free kicks been given on the half way line.

omg, Pirlo just did a stooping header to run onto and control a loose ball, and then passed it. that's definitely another new animation found.

man i wish the replays were longer on xbox360. some amazing moves being missed.

Well, PES made a habit of exaggerating the differences between players. Particularly the Agility and Response parameters. World-Class players could turn on a dime, superhumanly so.
Also, the way they could maintain speed through some types of moves was superhuman, aswell as their ability to change direction without having to actually stop themselves properly. It was like they had half the mass of a person, they could stop themselves and start sprinting in another direction too fast.

And, from what I've seen of 09 and also 08, the main thing the FIFA guys need to rework is the trapping. Even crap players can trap impossible balls, and they can do it at impossible angles. And they also do it seemingly perfectly composed aswell.
Once they get that reworked, the differences will be felt the moment you receive a ball with a lesser player, since he will trap it slower, be less precise in the direction he traps it, and not keep the ball as close to his body, meaning he will need more open space to be able to do it without fear of an opponent getting to the ball.

Basically, they need to make a system similar to PES5. PES5 was awesome when it came to the differences between players with regards to trapping. When you had a bad player, you just disliked passing to them since you knew they'd miss the trap and have to chase the ball down after it bounced off their boot or such.

So basically, PES exaggerates the best players too much, while FIFA could do with making the less skilled players worse in some aspects.

Game speed:

I've only played it on SLOW from my first match so don't know how fast NORMAL or FAST are, but I find that SLOW is absolutely as fast as I would want it.

I'd like to think that they change this so that what is currently SLOW becomes NORMAL and they create a new SLOW which is about 10% slower.

I agree, from what I've seen, it would be great if they slowed it down slightly more. Perhaps they are a bit worried the responsiveness will take an additional hit if they lower it too much?

Pato just did a no-look 1-touch lay-ff to dinho. It looked sick!

I love the way the collision system affects the aerial challenges, you have to really fight for your position with the opponent, with the stronger players being able to muscle defenders away so they can head it and the bigger players towering over the smaller players. The collision system isn't just cosmetic though as I thought it may be, it actually makes a big difference to the gameplay. You really feel the difference between going up for a challenge with Drogba and, let's say, Ronaldinho or Robben.

That leads onto another thing I love about the game, the headers at goal - You really have to aim your crosses accurately in front of of your player so that your players' momentum takes them onto the ball, you really can power in headers, it wasn't possible in 08. The AI also adds to this as when you play as Chelsea, Ballack (who is very strong in the air) often makes late runs into the box at speed which means he is very effective at powering in headed goals, like he is in real life.

The shooting is much improved also, well struck shots really feel powerful, meaning you can hit the sort of shots which rise and rise until they go in, they look great and were not possible on 08. The penalties are also much better this time around - no more shuffling across the goal line to stop pens and no more easy to hit unsaveable top corner penalties (meaning that aiming for the corners with power is a risk now), the camera angle is also much better on pens.

Animations - just great, they look realistic and they flow seamlessly, it's the best animated football game ever, and one of the best animated sports games ever. Not much else can be said about them really, they are just great.

Keepers - Probably the best improvement along with animations, they have "humanised" (is that a word?) them - they no longer save unstoppable shots and let in silly rolling shots at the near post, they actually act in a realistic manner is most cases, charging out in 1 on 1s, punching the ball on crosses/corners when there is pressure etc. On 08 they were terrible at their near post and too good at their far post, this is no longer the case and leads to much more thought going into which corner you aim for.

Responsiveness - It's sorted, not sluggish at all. The responses are slower while sprinting but that is good, it forces people into playing a more realistic style instead of holding sprint all game.

Graphics - Not hugely different from 08 but the player models look a lot better and the lighting seems a bit better and the faces look much better.

Onto negatives:

Assisted controls are too easy as usual - finesse shots into the far corner while 1 on 1 with assisted shooting is always a goal. Doesn't really bother me most of the time as I use semi/manual controls but it could affect 10v10. The passing is also too simple - just pick a recipient and press the button = perfect pass to feet.

Normal speed is a bit too fast - Slow seems realistic though, but as Normal is the default online setting, then it may affect 10v10. It's not arcadey fast, just slightly faster than realistic.

Free kick ball physics - While I think they underdid the dip and swerve you could get on set pieces on 08, I think they have exaggerated them here. No game breaker for me and I am confident that it will be sorted by release.

The demo is only 2 mins long!!!! :MAD:

Back
Top Bottom