FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

I love the fact how many ways you can control the ball. You can slow it down holding the pace control, meaning your player is able to manouver more free and quickly in tight spaces. Then you can use the sprint button when not moving to shield the ball and roll it over your foot. Then from in there you can do skills to feint or roll it another way. Then you can use the movement on its own with no buttons pressed. Then you can also use the run button to move, you'll be less agile but run at faster speeds. Then you can also knock the ball on with the right analogue stick.

All these ways mean there is so many different ways to play which makes it amazing to combine between things. Especially with the ability to let the ball run on, or through your legs.

I think I will actually be able to start a manager mode too because the CPU AI isnt as invicible as it was in 08!

Bring it on.

EDIT: Also, I just forgot to mention the "streching for ball" thing. In euro 08 I thought they did it FAR too often. They seem to have nailed it brilliantly in this. You cant stretch for EVERY possible ball, just the ones were you have a realistic chance of getting it.

This goes for when the ball is going out of play as well, things like this can turn a bad ball into attack in an instant...

YouTube - ashely cole nice touch

Last edited:

My jaw dropped when I saw Drogba run offside and check his run to try and stay onside only to get caught marginally off.

Yeah i forgot to mention this

It happened to me yesterday as well while i was playing a mate and we were very very surprised by it

Im seeing loads of this like this from little flick passes to a diving header back to the keeper so he can pick it up :LOL:

I really cant believe a football game actually does what you would want to do in real life. I mean how many times have you seen a defender diving head the ball back to the keeper in a computer game when that's what you would do in real life or stretch/slide to keep the ball in? I saw him kick a bouncing ball over his head to try and keep in it as well and i have also seen them attempt it and miss the ball

They just seem very clever and do the right stuff most of the time. Even if my header ect didn't make it at least he had the idea to do it in the first place

It really is an awesome game

My feeling at the moment is that at times I have complete control and the game does exactly what I want yet at other times it's completely random

This is easily the best football game ever made though. My jaw dropped when I saw Drogba run offside and check his run to try and stay onside only to get caught marginally off.

Yup, at times it's sublime but whilst I wouldn't say there are times it's completely random, there are times when you can feel you don't have full control (cpu cheats, in my book).

Have you tried watching a cpu v cpu match yet. It's very interesting to watch the sheer variety in each teams attempts to play football. It's not at all one dimensional, they try loads of different things.

everyone,"i" got a treat for use.

try and use the telecam with maximum zoom.

tada!!! PS2's PES wide cam :D

Broadcast cam on futherst out zoom and lowest height creates that camera swing thing from PES (where you could set angle from 1 to 9). Takes a little while to get used to actually playing with that cam (if you're playing on full manual passing, shooting), but it looks sweet.

CPU team did something nice. They got a corner and had left a guy loitering on the corner of the 18 yard box. I thought "the cpu never passes to this guy" so started to move my defender away from him towards the central area of the box. But they immediately took a quick corner to him, he dinked in a sweet little chipped cross which they got a header to, but my leeper tipped it round the post. It felt like I was playing agsinst a human.

My impressions after two hours playing the demo. First of all the game is much better as fifa 08.

Pro:

+ custom control
+ ball physics much better. Only freekicks looks very strange.
+ Dribbling and shoting much better
+ you can feel the difference between the players (balance,speed,..)

Contra:

- If you play on normal speed setting the game ist tooooo fast. On low setting it feels more realistic..but for me a little bit to fast. I hope i can choose the gameplay speed online.
- The shoting bar is to fast.
- the shoting is to easy and to accucary. Yes i can choose manual shoting settings,but where is the advantage? It is only more difficult...
- the passing to easy and to accucary.

The game feels like football kingdom. :SS

- the shoting is to easy and to accucary. Yes i can choose manual shoting settings,but where is the advantage? It is only more difficult...
You can play unranked games and lock the game to manual settings only.

If you only play for the love of the game, which a lot of us do, this is a great feature.

I saw him kick a bouncing ball over his head to try and keep in it as well and i have also seen them attempt it and miss the ball

One of my favourite things about the AI is that they try lots of things and make a lot of mistakes.

Also, if you set the game level to beginner, the AI become pretty hopeless. Their defensive gaffs make me laugh.

Crikey. Reading into all this, I'm actually inclined to believe that Fifa will outshine PES this year. [/shock]

sorry if this has already been asked but how do you dummy the ball, ie. let a pass go through your legs for another team mate to run on to?

it's in one of the trailers so i'm presuming it's definitely in the game but i haven't been able to execute it yet.

sorry again if this has already been asked

regards

Rooney's chest hair is a little too much detail for me...

::runs green faced to the bathroom::

sorry if this has already been asked but how do you dummy the ball, ie. let a pass go through your legs for another team mate to run on to?

it's in one of the trailers so i'm presuming it's definitely in the game but i haven't been able to execute it yet.

sorry again if this has already been asked

regards

RB I think mate.

how the hell do you activate the celebrations?

I finally managed to score on World class but the instructions to celebrate flashed up too quickly.

After so many games without scoring I want to celebrate :-)

I finally managed to score on World class but the instructions to celebrate flashed up too quickly.

Pause the game, there are instructions.

Right, my two penneth.

Great demo. One bugbear that is STILL there, that still fucking annoys me. When a corner kick is cleared we are still not allowed to switch player. I was through on goal on a number of a occasions but couldn't volley the ball because I couldn't control my player.

I really hope they sort this come the final release.

Pause the game and check the celebrations list, it tells you all of them and how to do them ala Euro

I always did a flip but landed on my arse

Question...Is the PAL xbox360 version different than the US version?

I hope so, because I am thinking on downloading the UK version to see if perhaps that version is superior to the US version.

I'm noticing a lot of FPS lag on replays and in arena. (Xbox360 @ 720p) Not a game ruiner but it certainly detracts from the experience. Would be good if they sort it out for the final release or perhaps people know some tips for improving it.

Back
Top Bottom