FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Do the CPU still never to any tricks at all? Anyone seen it do step overs or something that is not just a turn that looks fancy because of high attributes?

I still don't like the style of this game...

+ good IA
+ good positions
+ 1080 natif

- Aliasing on 1080 natif game (first time i see that)
- gameplay to heavy, no sharp (80% why i don't like this game)
- ball physic is joke on freekick, make curve like with wind at 150m/h
- no respect for shirt, number and names on the back

Good balanced feedback Thomas.

I agree with the ball physics thing for regular freekicks, when you take power ones (with L2/LT) it seems fine, but regular (ie pressing shoot + a movement only) are way off, I already mentioned it's like a cheap plastic football, hopefully that'll be tweaked.

gameplay to heavy, no sharp I don't understand what you're trying to say there so cannot agree nor disagree? :THINK:

As for numbers/names whilst I agree it would be nice that every single shirt had the 100% authentic name/numbers I personally don't consider it remotely important, as long as they have a number and a name I'm happy with that, if that's one of the best things to complain about we're all in for a very special game :)

Ok guys I've been playing the demo last night and giving it a fairly harsh examination. I have to say, I'm impressed. Incredibly frustrating that it's only two minute halves though.

Having not played any FIFA's for years I was very skeptical that they would finally have the blend right but it seems they've got it locked down. The games flow fantastically and look like real life, the graphics, ui, presentation and atmosphere are naturally, second to none.

What has impressed me most is how quickly I have been able to become naturalised to the game style and (slow) speed, as well as semi-assisted controls. I have not tried full manual as of yet.

Everything you would expect from a next-gen game is there and I have to say judging on this evidence, PES doesn't have a hope in hell of ever re-gaining "the crown".

Going to play some more today but I hardly have any complaints. I am loving the challenge of it and the difficulty of mastering even the basics such as tackling and shooting.

I'm having real troubles with long shots as they seem to go over too much. Also it's physically impossible to go round the keeper as they seem super human and can take the ball every time.

What I find funny is all the PES boys opening there reviews with...

"Having not played a Fifa game for years"

In that case how can you say PES 2008 was better than Fifa 08. :LOL:

Forgive the post in both PES and FIFA forums I have altered this slightly for the FIFA forum and could not be bothered to retype it all, too lazy...

Konami are the masters of shooting themselves in the foot, I still maintain they need a new HOD and team. Just over 36 months ago they were market leaders by some way with a product that on paper should have been far inferior, no licences and no real league structure not to mention budgets. But then they almost stopped all development and even started removing elements while still trying to make umpteen differing variations and incarnations.

Until finally culminating in an almost unplayable, ill conceived and poorly presented debacle that was 2008. SB then came out saying it was forced on them to release by Konami. I hold my hands up to being a massive PES over FIFA any day fan until 2008 and I still maintain if I could have solved the PS3 epilepsy inducing, eye bleeding judder, I would still be. Because of that me and my mate decided to give FIFA a month of intensive play to see if we could ever convert, being a hater of the ML meant instant joy at being able to have the full league structure and of course all the eye candy helped.

And so a year on and we are still playing 08 and looking forward to both 09 and 2009. I'm not counting either title out until I have at least a few hours play with each full title under my belt, anyone who thinks they can judge either final product from the tiny demo's we are given is either being naive or just plain puerile...
Though I have a feeling unless 2009 delivers in a big way I will find it hard to go back to the joke that is the ML...

Just had something really cool happen.

Toronto v Chelsea, I was Chelsea .

Toronto started the game as a 4-4-2, after a scruffy battle they took the lead in the 69th minute. They then made a sub and brought Dichio off for a defender. They then switched their formation from 4-4-2 to 5-4-1 and sat back deeper and deeper to protect their lead.

Now maybe im just being thick but, Ive never seen the CPU AI change their formation and system so blatently before. I've seen teams become a little more direct etc in FIFA 08 but this was just brilliant and really gives the single player mode more balance.

I'm a huge manager mode player and this year could be just brilliant, if the AI reacts to situations on the pitch.

Marvelous.

I've seen the AI make subs and change tactics to suit the situation too. Something that should've been in games for years really, but it's great to see it :))

Manager Mode should be pretty good this year with the AI seemingly improved so much!

Good balanced feedback Thomas.

I agree with the ball physics thing for regular freekicks, when you take power ones (with L2/LT) it seems fine, but regular (ie pressing shoot + a movement only) are way off, I already mentioned it's like a cheap plastic football, hopefully that'll be tweaked.

gameplay to heavy, no sharp I don't understand what you're trying to say there so cannot agree nor disagree? :THINK:

As for numbers/names whilst I agree it would be nice that every single shirt had the 100% authentic name/numbers I personally don't consider it remotely important, as long as they have a number and a name I'm happy with that, if that's one of the best things to complain about we're all in for a very special game :)

Thanks Placebo and Bagerman to respect my little preview from PS3 demo.
About the gameplay it's a different feeling than PES, heavy for time reaction (player turn, crossing, shooting), no sharp because i almost never play with the L3 and isn't sharp for a football game FOR ME. I don't like the defaut camera too, i try with a friends later today a 1 vs 1 with d-pad and different camera view. But i repeat the IA and players position are very realistic.

Are we able to play with our own camera settings online? Is this possible?

Because I have made my ideal one with the custom Camera and I want to use it!!!!

Is demo on EU PSN Store now? Can somebody confirm as I've read on another site that it is. I will pop home lunchtime and start downloading if it is.

Had a quick scroll up through this thread and didn't see anybody saying it's out yet.

Thanks.

I've seen feints and flicks over the head, think I've also seen a 360 spin, but I could be remembering things wrongly!

I hope the 360 spin is correct in your memory! Because feints and flick over head could be accomplished without the trick stick. I'm sceptic about it though. I just don't understand how they can leave this out. It's ok for online players but against AI it removes a big part of football to me. I mean it doesn't matter how crappy teams are, pretty much every match in real life has some step overs or rolling ball under foot and so on.

If I'm plying against ronny or ibra I want them to sometimes try shit out like in real life. If it's not in now it has to be in 2010.

Haven't manged to play much yet, but my two biggest gripes seem much improved:
1. Shooting goes where you try to put it, and keepers can't save every shot from certain angles (though this hasn't been tested yet in manager mode obviously, where things tend to get worse)
2. Teams are different. I started playing against Chelsea and barely saw the ball, got completely overrun. Switched to playing against Toronto and I owned them (without scoring much, but still). Switched back to Chelsea and once again I was soundly beaten.

I know people are complaining players don't feel all that different, but certainly teams are stronger and weaker. I've not played enough to tell massive differences in the players, other than big slow defender versus quick skillful attacker.

What time was it released on Xbox Live? Is it 24 hours exclusive to Gold members or how does it usually work with demos?

Thanks Placebo and Bagerman to respect my little preview from PS3 demo.
About the gameplay it's a different feeling than PES, heavy for time reaction (player turn, crossing, shooting), no sharp because i almost never play with the L3 and isn't sharp for a football game FOR ME. I don't like the defaut camera too, i try with a friends later today a 1 vs 1 with d-pad and different camera view. But i repeat the IA and players position are very realistic.

Even Thomas is loosing SOME good words. This game has to be great :D

1 thing that was doin my nut in with the demo is the amount of cards given but then i realised slide tackling should only be used as a last resort or when you 100% gonna win the ball.

So i need to stop doing it :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom