FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

I REALLY wish they gave us more than 2 mins each half though! The game speed is great, I love being able to build a play from the back and knock the ball around, but by the time I get to their goal, the half has finished! :((

Can't wait for the full game :DD

Do the CPU still never to any tricks at all? Anyone seen it do step overs or something that is not just a turn that looks fancy because of high attributes?

I haven't seen them do any normal skill moves we can do but I have a seen alot of ronaldo chop like passes trivela's and a load of backheels from the cpu

You can add some lovely dip and swerve from corners now. They've definitely enhanced this from 08.

Some truly spectacular passages of play now possible with the excellent deflection physics, nice bouncy ball which feels more free than last year, and the improved response times help immensely. The game is more physical....something it had always previously lacked. Some terrific midfield scraps and defensive melees.

The last gasp out-stretched legs are great, the headers hugely improved. Getting loads of little headed flick-ons in midfield...long-ball game can actually be made to work :).

I actually managed, for the first time since I converted to FIFA, dummy the keeper and take it past him and slot it home...in good ole PES style.

The basic gameplay is deep. So much is now possible. Dribbling, possession, one-touch football, long-ball, midfield battles, ariel battles, wing-play, defensive play...it's all there, and all with freedom rather than a system which relies on a scripted ball.

I'm also starting to notice more individuality in some players. You definitely know when you're controlling Kaka or Ronaldinho. They have far more skill and agility. They even look like them from a distance, which is gratifying. And yes, Toronto are easy to own compared with some other teams....seems the weaker team AI logic has been corrected after all.

It has it's flaws but it's great to see what they've done and will hopefully continue to do for years to come.

I just hope the on-line play retains this feeling. I have this nagging feeling that the first 10v10 game that I start up, the ref will blow his whistle to kick off and PAUSE!!...and we all have to wait 30 seconds. Please let them have fixed all the on-line irritations.

Last edited:

I saw the best ever save on a computer game last night

A cross came in and Drogba rose from 8 yards and hit a bullet header. The keeper did this awesome reaction save that looked so real to tip it over the bar

Oh yeah the heading looks brilliant now as well and the jostling before hand

Are the in game physics improved, such as being able to actually dribble and run past players now? It was highly frustrating in the other FIFA series games.

That's a good point, stretching to get a tackle or header in is brilliant. I keep forgetting to do it though, I've gotten used to accepting I can't get to the ball and then realise I can do a last-ditch attempt :DD

I also like how the ball is much more free and does now feel like an individual component as opposed to some magnetic pinball which it's felt like at times.

Really is much improved :TU:

You can add some lovely dip and swerve from corners now. They've definitely enhanced this from 08.

And the thing I like now is that the keeper is not perfect dealing with corners, in Fifa08 if you put your corner anywhere near the keeper, even if there's loads of pace on it he'll catch it perfectly with his magic hands, now he's a bit more like Paul Robinson when dealing with corners ;)

A cross came in and Drogba rose from 8 yards and hit a bullet header. The keeper did this awesome reaction save that looked so real to tip it over the bar

I saw the best ever header earlier. Cross in from the right for Chelsea, I'm well confident of heading the ball out, Joe Cole powered a header in from around 15 yards out and the ball FLEW into the top corner, no chance for the keeper.

I scored a first time rocket with Ballack from 35 yards yesterday, I was playing 2 player versus myself so it doesn't count but it looked incredible :)

That's a good point, stretching to get a tackle or header in is brilliant. I keep forgetting to do it though, I've gotten used to accepting I can't get to the ball and then realise I can do a last-ditch attempt :DD

I also like how the ball is much more free and does now feel like an individual component as opposed to some magnetic pinball which it's felt like at times.

Really is much improved :TU:

like this :))

Dailymotion - Last ditch tackle fifa 09, a video from Coopz08. last, ditch, tackle, fifa

Oh yeah the heading looks brilliant now as well and the jostling before hand

I like the sound of this...I mean when have you ever seen a keeper tip the ball over the bar in PES? Exactly...never.

Are the in game physics improved, such as being able to actually dribble and run past players now? It was highly frustrating in the other FIFA series games.

Yes, with the best players, you can waltz through challenges. You can also use the tricks more effectively now.

However, don't worry...not all players are suddenly dribble-kings with endless tricks, only the better ones.

Dribbling is now definitely now a viable part of the game.

Skill moves are not as effective imo at all.

I usually try and waltz past players with just the analog now before I used to be a lane change whore

No offside track in quick tactics, thats just stupid

Hopefully in the full game

Last edited:

This game is amazing!

So long we've wanted to have the great gameplay like previous PES (PS2) games and the liscenses, music, atmosphere from the Fifa games.

And now ladies and gentlemen... our dreams have come true!

Yeh they should have made it one half of five minutes imo. The flow gets broken up far too often meaning you can't get the feeling of a proper match. Also, the cut scene on substitutions is annoying, and why the AI is making three substitutions in the space of sixty seconds I have no idea, they should have just cut AI subs from a demo with such short halves.

My feeling at the moment is that at times I have complete control and the game does exactly what I want yet at other times it's completely random, but I suspect that is because I am more or less a complete noob at this.

Are there any guides/tips topics on here? It would be nice to know the differences between Pro/FIFA controls wise because I notice if you press finesse during the power bar it doesn't work you have to do it before you shoot which is a bit annoying. Also player switching is taking a bit of getting used to.

This is easily the best football game ever made though. My jaw dropped when I saw Drogba run offside and check his run to try and stay onside only to get caught marginally off. Just that effort makes it a MILLION times better, compared to Pro when you will have a player just aimlessly wandering around in no mans land for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

I've just watched that Skills tutorial video clip - bloody hell!!

Trying to do that stuff in-game would be difficult, but the fact that the features are there gives the game even more depth and fun. Amazing vid. Loved the mid air flip-flap and the goal at the end.

one of my favorite things is the position haggling you can do for headers when a ball is in the air. you can move your player up against an opponent and shove him off the spot a little bit. i always hated how in (all) games past the ball would go up and both you and opponents would be ushered to a specific position....

People with the slowdowns on PS3 need to listen up. If you have the US demo delete it and download the european one. You'd think they are the same but they're not (hence the language option...).

No more stutters and even more crisper gameplay.

Scorp1o at your service.

People with the slowdowns on PS3 need to listen up. If you have the US demo delete it and download the european one. You'd think they are the same but they're not (hence the language option...).

No more stutters and even more crisper gameplay.

Scorp1o at your service.

I was wondering last night if the NTSC version would run differently to the PAL version.

Back
Top Bottom