FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Oh and IMO the freekick ball physics when not doing a power freekick has to be considered a bug, the movement is like that of a 50p plastic football you buy at the beach, it's funny because the rest of the ball physics is absolutely spot on.

I've seen some videos of the freekicks from way back when, and by the look of it they made it possible to get more curl on the ball.

Maybe you could tell me/us a bit more specifically about the physics of the freekicks? Maybe a video at some point? :)

For example, Striking a finesse freekick with Ronaldinho with maximum inside curl so that we can gauge how it looks.

Also, choosing a nobody in the arena (if possible) and striking a freekick with them to see if the curl is big only for the star freekickers.

To be honest, I felt that the curl in FIFA08 was a bit on the "light" side. I've seen Ronaldinho do some pretty rad freekicks in real life, as far as curl goes, something I felt wasn't reflected in 08.

So do explain further if possible, I'm curious. :)

Any ideas if we are able to choose a different player for arena pre/match?

I don't think you can. It's Ronaldinho by default. I believe it changes to a different random player from your favorite team. I picked Chelsea. Had Carvalho first, AS Cole later.
I'm loving the fact you can customize controller buttons. Good on EA. It is also great to be able to muck around with camera height and zoom as well as with the game speed.
Find it extremely hard with no assists, yet very realistic.
So far, my only concern is that bloody slowdown.

Thats licensing madness for u

Probably bcos he isnt on the chelsea team in the arena

Slight differences between PS3 & 360:

PS3: Cech wears a crappier kit.
PS3: you play at the FIWC stadium.
PS3: In-game pause menu has 'Quit to Arena' instead of quitting the entire demo

The talk about slowdowns is worrying me. That is not acceptable at all, I mean Euro and 08 didn't have any at all under gameplay, only in replays.

how do i access the us psn store?

Follow the directions below:

1. First create a new user for your PS3.

2. Sign Up for the Playstation Network.

3. Select Hong Kong as your Country/Region. (You can select ANY region as long as you can provide a real address.)

4. Make sure your language is set to English.

5. Select Master Account.

6. Create an e-mail account for your new PSN ID. If you have another e-mail address you can use just use it.. a friends, a parents, or a girlfriends etc. Otherwise visit any of the free e-mail websites below:

* Gmail - http://www.google.com/mail/help/promo1.html
* lycos - http://mail.lycos.com/lycos/Index.lycos
* mail.com - http://www.mail.com
* hotmail - http://www.hotmail.msn.com
* AOL - http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/email.adp

Once you've created an account simply use the e-mail address in your registration.

7. Create an online ID.

8. Enter a name, it's up to you how to play this one.

9. Next you'll need to provide a valid address for the region. Lets say you pick Hong Kong as my new homeland. Visit Frommers HERE and click on any of the restaurants names. Once you do this you'll have a valid address for your new account so enter it!

That's it, congratulations you've now successfully created a foreign region PSN account for your PS3! Enjoy the spoils!
It's basically the same principle for every account that you create. You just have to change the region, email address, (language for Japanese account) and the address itself.

My example for a US account is almost the same as in the quote but step 3 would be different it would be something like this:-

Region - USA
Address - 1226 Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, California, 90210 (zip code).

If people get stuck on addresses just look up some company names as suggested http://www.yellowpages.com. I wonder if Microsoft's address has been taken up for a US account?

I really like the game so will concentrate on putting across a few [predominantly minor] negative points:

- in the arena, the sound the goalkeeper's gloves make when saving a shot is horrible (it's like someone has pulled a plunger off the floor)

- in the custom team tactics, when scrolling down near the bottom, the sound effect is too loud. This is obviously not something major to worry about, especially in a demo, but something that bothered me nonetheless.

- the penalties are still (as with 90% of footy games) crap. I still long for the ISS64 penalty system. Even Football Kingdom had an original, pretty effective system. In FIFA 09, the variation in where you can put the ball is minimal.

- free kick swerve. EA must've called 'twos' on Konami's joint whilst programming this part of the game.

- I still despise EA's number and lettering. I hate the way the names stretch across the back, and I hate the miniscule numbers. GRRR!

- the Chelsea kit in particular is hurrendous. People jumped on ThomasGOAL (being such an avid PES fan) but one glimpse of the real shirt would let you know just how bad it is: the emblem should be lower than the adidas logo and, in turn, the sponsor should be placed lower than the badge.

- Bosingwa hasn't got his freakishly grotesque monobrow :(

+ everything else (so far)

Been playing 360 demo for most of day but got PS3 version as that what played Fifa 08 and Euro on also prefer controller but that aside.

One thing i noticed is arena to right of player there seems to be blockyness when players moves its very feint but not noticeable on 360 version not sure if some bug with graphics. In game fine though but it just appears in arena very strange as havnt noticed this on 360 arena.

Last edited:

I have been playing the 360 version all day.

I have just put the PS3 one on and it is awful in comparison.

Slow downs, blocky graphics. :SS

All i can say about the shooting WOW!

Still have to get use to rhyme of the game tho

my pal just confirmed me that u can use the D-pad on the ps3 controler!!!
THANK U EA!!!

i know most people think this is unecessary, but for me it was very important , specially beacsue the analog stick on the ps3 controller is totally crap(the 360 one i used just fine)

damn, sorry about earlier...it was my bro, he wanted check if there was anything new so i gave him my password and regretted it since lol

anyway just for the record i have a 360 and a PS3, i am not a fanboy....i despise them (fanboys) infact

is that so?
maybe your gfx set up in the ps3are worst than your 360?
like i had my 360 on 1366x768(vga cable) while i hav my ps3 at 720p which is a bit inferior to the 1366 resolution.

So I can't get the demo because my gold account is under 18 and thus can't download unrated games. Fifa 09 is currently unrated. Does anyone know when it's available for Silver accounts?

is that so?
maybe your gfx set up in the ps3are worst than your 360?
like i had my 360 on 1366x768(vga cable) while i hav my ps3 at 720p which is a bit inferior to the 1366 resolution.

If only mate.

They are both at 1080i through an HDMI cable.

I was gonna get it on PS3 too. :((

Ok, played about 4-5 games on the 360, so far, I have to say it's a big improvement over 08. Shots are better weighted and have more loft to them. At times you can get a wicked curve on the ball. Also, did anyone notice that you can now effectively shoot the ball to the far post, opposite to the movement of the goalkeeper when you are sprinting in to the 16 yard box...simply amazing, even the animations look really good.

Collisions are pretty good, sometimes I can't predict who will win headers in center field. I was controlling Dichio and he went up with another player, only for the both of them to miss the ball completely!

Can't comment on the PS3 demo, but the 360 has no framerate issues that I could notice, this could only be a demo thing and not be an issue in the final build.

I'm a little unhappy that regular passes, for ex. in the backfield, don't have much or any curve to them.

So I can't get the demo because my gold account is under 18 and thus can't download unrated games. Fifa 09 is currently unrated. Does anyone know when it's available for Silver accounts?

Just create a new xbox live account on the 360 (using a hotmail account where you put your age 18 or over), then it should give you a month of GOLD for free

this way you can download FIFA 09 demo

I get slowdown in arena and blockyness to right of player ingame seems to be fine though.

It plays in different stadium to 360,and the time is dusk as default. Can't for the life of me decide which i like best..

Ok, just a few comments.

Honestly, it's the first time I enjoyed playing FIFA in a long while, especially because I can use the Dpad, and as such I won't feel like I'm running like a headless chicken, I have much more precise control.

Thanks EA.

Still, the demo looks severely unpolished, especially in what concerns transitions between cut-scenes.

Some things that annoyed me:

- The penalty shootout feels like a 5-a-side penalty shootout: both the keeper movements as well as the ball direction is almost always the same...

- The keepers seem a bit flawed in a couple of aspects. I scored a goal where the opposing keeper, instead of running to a lofted through ball - which he would likely get before me - decided to stay put and way for me to score. Also, I shot a screamer that hit the crossbar, the ball bounced in the smaller goal area, and the opposing keeper remained still, waiting for the defender to come and clear it, even though there was none of my players nearby. I hadn't seen any of this in videogames since... 1998?

- The passing feels nice. I don't like it that it "accumulates" my keypresses - for instance, if I press "X" twice, it will pass the ball twice... Maybe it takes some getting used to.

- The running animations, in all fairness, don't look that great to me... All players look like they are swimming crawl-style, when they are sprinting. Not that it bothers me, I just happened to notice it on a replay.

- The passing feels great, I know I said it earlier, but it's worth mentioning. Also, the off-the-ball movement from the CPU players in the offense is pretty nice.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention. I mis-timed a tackle from behind. The animation was beautiful, and luckily the ref didn't even give me a card. I wish I had recorded it :)

Overall, this will probably keep me busy for a while more.

Just my honest opinion in this thread, no thought-provoking intended.

Best regards, and all the best for those of you who are loving it more than I am able to.

Paulo Tavares

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom