FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

There are data editors (for example me who is editor for 12 teams), there are also data reviewers, people who're responsible for checking whole leagues, no idea how many of those there are but there's a fair few, there's also the "Database Producers" who're actual people working for EA in the Germany or Canada offices who oversee the whole things, there's a few of them as well.

Playing with Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship, currently sitting 1st on the table after 28 games. 47 points, two points clear of Charlton, Cardiff and Blackpool.

Just bought a host of players. Jan Simunek and Paulo Da Silva as CBs, Modesto on loan on LB, got Digard from Boro, Alanzinho on the LW and Negredo as the striker.

It's still really tight, so the title is up for grabs!
in my first season with grosseto in serie b, 4 points clear at the top with just a few games to go.

im beefing up my squad right now for the top flight next season, ive only got a few players left playing in my first eleven that made the cut from the original team.

ive got zaki and ramon as my strikerforce(looking to add another as ramon's not quite cutting it), danilinho as my number 10(if only i could change his number) and djemba djemba in midfield pulling the strings.

what difficulty do you guys play on?

How do you guys find new players mainly? Wait for them to appear on the transfer list? Scouts? Name Search? Attribute search?

I find the attribute search a bit annoying for some reason, just seems a bit awkward. Also don't like how you can only put a certain amount of transfer bids in each week either.

How do you guys find new players mainly? Wait for them to appear on the transfer list? Scouts? Name Search? Attribute search?

I find the attribute search a bit annoying for some reason, just seems a bit awkward. Also don't like how you can only put a certain amount of transfer bids in each week either.

Like a lot of things in 09 it could have been done better, I hate the fact I can't compare players...
I don't mind the bids thing that makes up for having too much easy money...

Well I screwed up my Season yesterday. Having won the Carling Cup, The Prem and in the final of the FA cup playing Spurs I had played the first leg of the semi of the CL and had drew 1-1 away at arsenal. The next day I start again, playing the last league match with a reserve team to warm me up for the 2nd leg semi final. I won 1-0 in the 85th min with a dire performance. But it didn't matter, I was crowned the previous match as League Champions. SO I go into the semi pretty confidant, having been the better team in the first leg and having beaten them away 0-3 in the Fa cup semi. However I had lost 2-0 at home againt them around the 30th match but that was whilst having Torres injured. So it was looking good.

I made a mistake though, I thought I had won the away leg 1-0 (due to them scoring late on in the game for the equaliser), and because of that I played the match to contain them and maybe score one myself. I was already in the match menu's before I remembered to check the firstleg score just incase, so I went off searching in the menu's for it. Sadly EA haven't put this anywhere to be found when in a match so your left to rely on your memory :(.

So I play the match and Im containing them, pretty confortable without creating much myself. Then in the 77th min they put a cross in and score from the header. At this point Im getting slightly worried, as Im not sure what the previous leg's result was, with that in mind I go for a goal and create a few chances, but the tone had been set and I just can't get the players up for it and it ends up 1-0 after 90 min. Now Im expecting extra time at this point and to my surprise I see the arsenal players cheering with my own looking sad. Now Im looking sad, I never managed to get past the quarters on 08 and this was looking like the season I would finally bring ol' Big Ears back to Anfield for the 6th time.

I finish the season with a tame performance in the FA cup but its enough for a 2-1 win and a somewhat dissapointing Treble. Or being Liverpool and winning the Community Shield at the beginning of the season I should call it the Quadruple.

So now it's gonna take me another month or two to get that chance again (if I get that far in Europe).

"Oh Cock"

*Games played on WC difficulty.

Last edited:

depending on what i want to spend i put a limit down and then do a attribute search between 65 or 70 to 85. if i want to narrow it down more i add a position search.

i used to do a for sale search as well but now i can attract players and have the money i just add a few hundred thousand to my bid.

i like how they limit it, i wish you could change it a little bit like alter your bid after you make it without using another negotiation but other than that i think it adds to the experience.

Like a lot of things in 09 it could have been done better, I hate the fact I can't compare players...
I don't mind the bids thing that makes up for having too much easy money...
one thing i miss from pes is how you could add players to a list as you were searching. i used to look at everyone, do a bunch of searches and then look at my list and narrow it down.

Last edited:
one thing i miss from pes is how you could add players to a list as you were searching. i used to look at everyone, do a bunch of searches and then look at my list and narrow it down.
Yep, I can't understand why things like that can't be implemented, at least it saves the players you do offer for and gives you a hint as to why they don't sign.
It needs a real overhaul though for 10, they really were very lazy, even if they say they were concentrating on the on field stuff, that was just PR garbage...

Last edited:
Are we gonna start an "improvements thread" to pass on to them? I think we did one for the update but now we have all spent quiet a bit of time with it it could be quite a list. Maybe it's worth bumping last season's one to see what still needs to be adressed and whats new.

Here's the list from last year (quite a few have been adressed which is nice to see);

Evo-Web suggestions for FIFA09:

Graphics:
- Real Adboards (proper sponsers)
- Weather effects
- More Stadiums
- Better Radar colour combinations
- Goalkeeper kits improved/corrected
- Better Penalty Cam, higher placed. Can't see corner with player in the way
- Higher placed Corner Cam, or keep "user" cam (tele/dynamic/etc)
- Better player likenesses
- Less Jaggies
- Better cutscenes, less jerky
- Better integration of goal celebrations, ingame instead of cutscene
- More camera angles (gradients to angles and zoom, for example "TELE angle 3 zoom 2" = slightly closer and camera goes at an angle for end of pitch action)
- Better replay angles
- More varied net styles per stadium
- More generic stadiums across all league levels (5.000 seater up to 60.000 seater)
- Night game pitches don't have darkpatches, thats why we have floodlights.
- Better pitch vs stadium proportions. Anfield is far closer to the pitch in real life.
- Ref and linesman visible ingame
- Better player proportions, ie tighter shirts and shorts, its not basketball.
- Replays at HT and FT should always atleast show all the goals scored
- Freekick/corner cam can be normal tele view. No need to go behind player
- Player stats easier to view in tactical menu's in one view, not multiple pages.
- Better cutscenes for league/ cup wins and relegation. Lifting the trophy for example.
- Better pre kickoff cutscenes. For example players dont do team warmups right before kickoff. Maybe a few stretches for individuals when lining up for the start of the match. Coin toss for captains.
- Slower transition between team formation screens, too fast at the moment.
- The option to have normal camera angles (tele, dynamic, etc) for freekicks and corners.
- League/division crest to change on kit with promotion/relegation

Sound:
- Dynamic Downloadable Commentary (commentary updates)
- Faster Crowd reactions. A "Oooooh" when the ball has been hit, not when it hits the stands
- Net sounds less pronounced relative to stadium noise/size
- Better, more accurate allocation of chants; Accrington Stanley shouldnt be singing about "winning the CL 5 times in Istanbul", or national teams having english league chants.

Control:
- Correct Kicking foot GK
- Faster response times
- Shorter, less awkward animations
- D-pad support
- Added options for long ball passes. In the way shooting has lob/finesse/power it can also be applied to long ball passing.
- Faster crossing/crosses. Still too slow/lofty at the moment. Like longball passing could also be determined by the button combination.
- Better timing and tackling animations
- Shots from the wide area's should have the same amount of power as central shots
- Assisted [lob]throughpasses should be more effective, atm they are nearly all intercepted.
- Ball dummy/stepover
- Better reactions/animations to crosses; onetime shots, header. Not control then shoot
- More freekick options; bring an extra player
- Better freekick control, having to determine swerve while loading the powerbar is too short. Better control over height and power, possibly as seperate controls.
- Better cornerkick control. Like freekick more control over height and power as seperate elements.
- Remove occasional player "locking"
- More defensive control in crowded box, less automated clearing
- Goalie rush should be faster and further, more responsive
- SuperCancel for movement aswell as ball kicking
- More varied tactical options linked to d-pad control. For example defensive formation assigned to d-pad right, attacking formation assigned to d-pad left.
- Freekick to rotate 360, pass it back to goalie/defender
- Slightly heavier ball [physics]
- More angles to move in when in possesion of the ball ( for exmaple 16 direction control as apposed to current 8 direction control)
- GoalKick powerbar
- Manual selection improved (keep the selected player at corners for example)

AI:
- Less responsive AI for individual actions. They know what is gonna happen the second you press the button
- Keepers less good at super shots, better at crosses
- More aggressive Keeper rushing, less static on the line positioning
- Bigger difference playing styles (longball vs total football)
- Playing styles more linked to ratings, for example lower league team is more longball
- More balanced team ratings, Everton aren't better then PSV.
- More varied attack styles, not the wing/cross/header all the time.
- Less accurate freekicks
- More varied runs from player teammates
- Less harsh fatigue model
- Better defensive movement/pressure for player teammates
- Less rigid back four, wingbacks more attacking
- More agressive tactical changing from AI (when behind more attacking/different formation for example)
- CPU passing more "in to space" instead of to static player
- More CPU fouls and mistakes
- Better refeering, CPU fouls often unpunished
- Defensive wall for freekick can "collapse" with the ball getting "through"
- Less "endless" dribbling from AI players
- More varried goalie throws, also to feet, head instead of only to chest

ManagerMode:
- Better scheduling, no 2 games on the same day or same weekend
- Automatic Night games (midweek, CL, UEFA cup, etc)
- Cupfinals at special venue's, not the basic home or away stadium
- Different away stadiums per team in the upper leagues. This can be either linked to the teamoptions in edit mode or randomised per league between the 30 odd stadiums in game for the teams without their own ingame stadium
- Stadiumbuilding or Choice of larger generic stadium when upgrading the stadium manager
- Better integration of real life tournaments, Playoffs
- More developed Injuries (6 months for example)
- Better balance to earnings across leagues. For example Liverpool barely make a profit in home games and a loss in away games, yet Accrington stanley can earn a few hundred thousand per match with a few stadium upgrades.
- Better developed staff options/upgrades

Editmode:
- Player appearances editable (faces, length, weight, hair, etc)
- Photo import ala Tiger Woods
- The possibility to assign stadiums to teams, giving the possibility to not be playing at the same away stadium for 3/4 of the season.
- Stadiumbuilder
- The possibility to assign pitch pattern to stadium

Online:
- Enable leagues to have home and away (2 matches per team)
- Goalscorer should be able to control replay only (with timelimit)
- Longer online pauze, 20sec is too short
- Theatermode (ala Halo) to record full matches with editing and sharing possiblity
- Better teammanagement control (formation saves)
- Rematch and Rematch with different teams options straight after FT
- Chat cut off point when out of the game
- After completing a match return player to lobby instead of top menu
- Pauzing the game should only happen when ball goes out of play. Pauze logo in top corner during play as warning / heads up.
- Better cup/tournament creator

Misc.:
- Personal playlists, music of HD
- Save replays to HD and then upload at later date
- Shorter Substitution loadtimes
- Full training mode; freekicks, corners, teamplay, etc
- Always have the english language and commentary in all regions with regional languages added (360 version) instead of only regional languages based on logistics. For example the dutch version had sweden and spain as the other languages. English footabll is far more popular then swedish football.
- Save controller settings to live accounts for mutliplayer users aswell (player 2/3/4)

anyone having problems with this 'not enough players in squad to sell' BS I keep getting now and again?

is there a way to get around it or is it a bug? the squads are big enough, but it keeps saying the same thing :(

anyone having problems with this 'not enough players in squad to sell' BS I keep getting now and again?

is there a way to get around it or is it a bug? the squads are big enough, but it keeps saying the same thing :(

Nope there is nothing you can do about it the squad can't go below a certain number and they never seem to sign in players for the rest of the 15 seasons, you just can't sign the guy if it says not enough players in squad...
I tried to sign a Chelsea player in the first January window and had the same response I tried him for the next six seasons, no go... :BLINK:

Just started a MM with Arsenal. I replaced in the starting line-up Eboue with Diaby.

I tried to sign A.Young from Aston Villa to replace T.Rosicky on the Right Midfield. I have sold Song to Watford.

I've had 3 matches so far:
Arsenal 0-1 Wigan
Liverpool 0-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-0 Man.City

I am currently 6th in the table.

I added a few of mine:

A few of mine:

1. The rating system is completely flawed, impossible to have your players receive average ratings sufficient to match up to what is calculated for AI players.

2. No way to view the average rating of your players for the season.

3. Next season starts straight after the completion of the final match, no chance to look at your stats or growth or other things.

4. XP system is now far too generous, with coaches on level 4 players can go from low 60s to high 80s in only 2 seasons.

5. Team of the season is broken in two ways, first it includes players from the teams that are relegated or promoted into that division, second it includes players who've only played a few matches of the season (should be minimum 25-30 matches played or something).

6. Post match individual player statistics can no longer be viewed for every player, only for the man of the match, not a flaw per se but it was possible to see this in Fifa08 so why remove it?

7. AI teams perform no squad rotation and as a result play the same team constantly, even if at 90% fatigued (yet they can still run around the pitch for 90 mins as if at full fitness).

8. During a match you only see the formation of the opponent change in the man marking and other menu views when they make a substantive formation change usually at the end of the match, if they have a defender sent off, so bring off a forward to replace with a defender, that defender is shown as playing up front in all screens including man marking screen.

9. When you change from playing a 5 sub match to a 7 sub match and back it messes up your substitutes, for example in the Premiership/League Cup/European cups you can have 7 substitutes, as soon as you've played an FA Cup match your substitutes are messed up.

10. Each time you view team management it reverses the subs/reserves, so if you have them sorted in GK/DF/MF/FW order they will reverse to FW/MF/DF/GK order and back and forth, not a big deal but it's silly and a glitch.

11. Norwegian teams cannot qualify or compete in European competitions (apparently, not actually tried myself but it's been reported to me?).

After so long "living with" them it's hard to remember them all at the drop of the hat so undoubtedly there'll be more.......

Well after my "dissapointing" season I bumped the difficulty to Legendary and have had some cracking games.

However because Im more concentrated when playing Ive ended up winning every match, bar the community shield and a reserveteam outing against spurs. Ive played 20 matches now and have won 19 and lost 1 in the league! There been quite a few narrow wins so its still a lot of fun, but I will probably move at the end of the season if Ive won the ECC :D

Its my 3rd season but some players seem really strong, is that the normal development or just me playing better?

Placebo. thanks, Ive added the Glitches to the Original post in the thread. apart from the one "Norwegian teams cannot qualify or compete in European competitions", as i think that is because Fifa doesnt have the first 2 Qualifying rounds for the ECC and EFA because there isnt enough European teams in the game to fill the spaces. so its probably more of an ommision than a Glitch.

Fifa08 didn't let Swedish teams qualify for Europe and now Fifa09 does, IMO it's a glitch :)

That must be another Glitch then also because Fifa doesnt have the first qualifying round. On Wikipedia it says this about European Qualification from the Swedish League.

The winners of Allsvenskan qualify for the UEFA Champions League, and enters the competition at the first qualifying round. The runner-up team qualify for the UEFA Cup, and enters the competition at the first qualifying round. The third placed team enters the UEFA Intertoto Cup.

You can't apply the rules of UEFA qualifying to your logic though as there are a lot of European leagues that aren't in Fifa09, and EFA is not UEFA, yes it's an unlicensed simulation of the UEFA Cup but it's not the UEFA Cup, thus there's no "UEFA qualification" reason to exclude Swedish or Norwegian leagues from EFA, every European league should qualify for EFA by winning their respective cup or getting into a certain league position. Thus no Norwegian team in EFA = glitch.

I rest my case M'lud ;)

You can't apply the rules of UEFA qualifying to your logic though as there are a lot of European leagues that aren't in Fifa09, and EFA is not UEFA, yes it's an unlicensed simulation of the UEFA Cup but it's not the UEFA Cup, thus there's no "UEFA qualification" reason to exclude Swedish or Norwegian leagues from EFA, every European league should qualify for EFA by winning their respective cup or getting into a certain league position. Thus no Norwegian team in EFA = glitch.

I rest my case M'lud ;)

Occasionally in Fifa, at the start of the Season you do play a 2 leg ECC qualifying tie to get into the ECC Group stages so they do have some form of qualification.

As there are no Norwegian teams in the EFA/ECC in Fifa 09, how do EA fill all the places in the tournament? as both the EFA and the ECC are 32 team tournaments if im correct.

I've just started a new MM as Notts County. My starting budget is £469,000. I am used to working with lower league teams. My sponsor is 'Hedge's Games' for my first season.

Starting lineup is as follows:
GK: K.PILKINGTON
RB: J.BEARDSLEY
RCB: M.EDWARDS
LCB: M.JOHNSON
LB: P.MAYO
RM: M.HAMSHAW
RCM: R.BUTCHER
LCM: A.NOWLAND
LM: M.WESTON
RS: J.FORRESTER
LS: D.FACEY

SUBS:
S.WEIR DALEY
A.TANN
S.CANHAM
B.FAIRCLOUGH
S.FROST.

Just put all reserves up for sale and put a bid in for Riccardo Meggiorini, Cittadella. Toro, Flamengo. These players will hopefully give my midfield some speed.

On to the first game of the season, away against Macc'field. At half time, both teams have had many chances, I've hit the post twice, however, i've had troubles getting past the Macc'field defence. In the 39th minute, M.Gritton put them in front after some poor defending. I then worked hard to equalize, just to get caught on the counter-attack by Gritton again to put away his second. So far, i've had 4 shots and the've had 5, both with 3 on target. 90 minutes had past, and I had no luck. More shots on target, all to be saved, a free kick hit the post and a header just going over. I got caught again on the counter-attack of a corner and S.Yeo put it past the keeper to put it Macc'field 3 - 0 Notts County. Not a good start to the season.

To lighten me up however, my offers were both accepted and many offers for my reserves. I replaced Hamshaw on the right with Toro and put Meggiorini on the left.

Hopefully, my second game would have more luck. At home against Ches'field. Half time came and neither team created many chances, however, on the 41st minute Toro on the right used his speed to run down the wing and pass it into the middle for an easy goal for Facey, not much to say for this half, both keepers on form, 1 - 0 to the Notts! Soon after the first half, a mistake from my defence and Lester was through to equalize. At the 59th minute, a bad tackle from Austin got him a yellow card. Creating a massive oppurtunity for Meggiorini, who hit the crossbar with the freekick. A beautiful through ball from Toro put Forrester right in front of goal who managed to put it 2-1, Austin then gave away a penalty in the 68th minute and a red card. Meggiorini stepped up and smashed it home, 3-1, this one was a clear win, but the Notts wern't finished yet, A quick break through and Forrester tapped away the 4th, 4-1 and a nice 3 points on the board.
We are currently 9th on the table. I'll keep you posted on my season progress, if interested, I play on World Class difficulty.

Notts County update,

Coca-Cola League 2,

Notts 1 - 1 B'Mouth
Barnet 0 - 1 Notts

Next match: Brentford
Current league position: 5th

English League Cup Round 1,

Barnsley 3 - 1 Notts

Just started a season with Udinese , won 6matches , 3 draws , 2 loses. Level : Wordclass.

Won the game against Milan ( 1 - 0 ) Di natale Pk. 79 min :D , I also won against Inter ( 2 - 1 )

So any tips on good singnings? Modric? Etc...

Back
Top Bottom