FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

I'm still playing MM, enjoying my second season in the Liga Adelante with Elche C.F. (Legendary, All Manual, Auto-Growth Off).

I finished 11th (of 22) in my first season, just about achieving the aim I'd set myself of finishing in the top half (just!), a standing which earned a payout from the sponsors. Dani, on loan from Betis, was the main reason for that by netting the vast majority of our goals. Because he's on loan irl, however, I decided to let him leave at the end of the season (on the pretence that he'd be returning to Betis).

About halfway through the second season, so far it has been a similar mid-table story like the last. The highlight was somehow managing an unexpected 2-2 draw at the Bernabéu under floodlights in the Copa del Rey, in fact I was 2-0 up until Huntelaar and Higuain levelled. Second leg at home to come.

By constantly renewing contracts I've managed to raise my wage bill up to equal that of my sponsor's standard per-match payout, which stems the ridiculous influx of cash you get in MM. The money coming in from gate receipts I fritter away on Scouting (without ever signing a scouted player), the aim being to constantly balance the books at around 800,000 Euros - this is the amount of money you begin with if you start a new MM with Elche.

The idea behind it is that my transfer budget will then come from the achievement-dependent sponsor payout. They offer a certain amount for finishing in the top half of the table. If I achieve that, I get that money to spend on players. If I don't, well, I only have this meagre 800K to work with and need to do better next year...

Another rule I've implemented is that I can only sign players rated 70 OVR or less while I'm in the second division. I'll raise this number if/when I should achieve promotion (probably 75 OVR in La Liga, rising to 80 OVR if I ever qualify for Europe, something like that).

All good fun so far.

Quick update;

I finally managed to win the CL! Yaaay! Hadn't been able to do that in 08 and it was in my 3rd season with Liverpool. After 3 seasons; 3 prem titles, 2 fa cups, 2 league cups, 1 charity shield & 1 CL I decided to move and am now the new manager of Valencia. Its good to see the totally different style of play atm, have had to change Valencia's freeflowing 4-4-2 to a more rigid 3-5-2 as I just couldnt find my players with them moving all over the place. Played about 6 matches so far and am in 5th/6th position.

an unexpected 2-2 draw at the Bernabéu under floodlights in the Copa del Rey, in fact I was 2-0 up until Huntelaar and Higuain levelled. Second leg at home to come.
:GSCARF: EL-che :GSCARF: EL-che :GSCARF:

Got off to the worst possible start in the second leg, when Raúl just turned and nonchalantly dispatched the ball into the top corner with great ease in the 7th minute. Fortunately I managed to snatch one back on a counter-attack in the first half, Caprari's third goal in the tie, but was really lucky to reach HT at 1-1 (3-3 agg). Higuaín spurned two gilt-edged sitters.

Somehow held out under great pressure during the second half. Real had 26 shots in total across that second leg :CALM:, but went out on away goals.

And now what's my reward in the quarter final...? Barcelona :DOH:. That's if any of my players are left standing, my 2/10 Fitness Coach is cracking under the pressure of two fixtures per week.

Just had the worst run ever in MM 14 games with just two wins and so many 0-0's and 1-0's for some reason we could not score for toffee...
Having plenty of chances but the woodwork was three feet thick and the keepers were god's...

Barcelona ended my cup run, only 2-1 on aggregate but could easily have been a much heavier defeat. I could barely escape my half of the pitch in either leg without Barca needing to hit top gear. They went on to beat Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey final.

I finished 11th for the second consecutive season (2pts better off than last year), earning the bonus sponsor payout to fund my transfer budget. I used the money to pick up a couple of transfer listed reserves from Espanyol, and also bring 36 year old Ivan Campo home from England to end his career back in Spain.

Aim for this season is to finish higher than 11th!

just thought i'd share my progress with my new MM. so here goes,

first of all i'm playing on world class using semi/manual controls and i'm playing as Hartlepool cause they are one of my local teams.

when i started i realised i needed to sign a couple of players to cover positions so a brought in Jacobson (LB), Leven (CM), Kristensen (CM/RM) all came for couple hundred thousand each. good signings, jacobson is a superb LB, leven is a very good attacking CM and Kristensen is fairly good but nothing special.

the first half of the season went well and as i entered the january transfer window i was placed 6/7 but it was close from 2nd to 8th with leicester miles ahead at the top and leeds in second.

i thought i'd have a quick look at the transfer market and saw that Mcanuff from watford was up for sale, so managed to pursuade him to drop a league for a bit more money. he turned out to be a great signing. with his added pace and james brown (not the 'i feel good' guy) banging in the goals i made steady progress up the table, it was between us and leeds for the second automatic promotion place. with about 10 games to go i had a drop in form and lost 2 and drew 3, but in the last 5 games i won 3 drew 1 and lost 1 and pipped leeds into second. so promoted teams were leicester, Hartlepool(me) and peterborough (through the play-offs).

second season, made a couple of signings, James Morrison (again not the singer) from relegated West Brom, Livermore (youngster from tottenham) and Delfueneso (youngster from Villa). good signings and definitely needed with the jump up in class.

first four games and i've won 1 against swansea drew 2 against leicester and west brom and lost 1 to sheff utd, so going ok, sat in lower mid table, but i can see it's gonna be a hard season.

Im currentley playing for Spurs in my manager mode season and just finished my first season.I had one the treble usually playing on professional throughtout most of the
season but also changing to world class and legendary.I just signed fernando torres for quite alot of money and he should be worth the money I payed for him.Im just
looking for a left midfielder or left winger to sign,i signed Simao in january last season but for me doesnt seem to be good enough,i sold him to Chelsea or Man utd.Now
i want a good left midfielder or left winger who lets say could grab a match winner or be one of the best on the park example Ronaldo.Tried to sign Arjen Robben from R.madrid
but they said they havent got enough players,
any help guys ? :D

Last edited:
This is a respectable forum and not full of 12 year old pplz who tipe lyk dis. Just type normally.

A mistake? Your finger accidentally pressed shift on the first letter of every word? You should go see a doctor about that, might be early onset MS or Parkinsons or something :(

In answer to your original question, there's nothing you can do, have to buy someone else.

Im currentley playing for Spurs in my manager mode season and just finished my first season.I had one the treble usually playing on professional throughtout most of the
season but also changing to world class and legendary.I just signed fernando torres for quite alot of money and he should be worth the money I payed for him.Im just
looking for a left midfielder or left winger to sign,i signed Simao in january last season but for me doesnt seem to be good enough,i sold him to Chelsea or Man utd.Now
i want a good left midfielder or left winger who lets say could grab a match winner or be one of the best on the park example Ronaldo.Tried to sign Arjen Robben from R.madrid
but they said they havent got enough players,
any help guys ? :D

As Placebo says, unfortunately they will never have enough players for you to sign him so look for someone else, check for players who can play out there but not as their first choice. The left wing is always a tough one to fill.
I tend to make tactics to suit your players rather than pick a player to fit a tactic...

Well after changing tactics with Valencia Ive managed to play some really nice football, small triangles and nice movement across the pitch, far moreso then with pool which was far more direct.

Signed about five or six 19 year olds to freshen the squad up and sold half midfield in the proces. Got a quality striker from SA with a deep search scout. Can't remember the name, narra or something or other. 19 and strong, quick and good finishing, good control aswell. He'll be replacing Villa as he's 30 now and getting on (although in his prime at the moment). The only "senior" player Ive bought is Babel, might not be the best at finishing but his pace is really usefull. I can now swap the front 5 around (2 fw, 1 cam and 2 wingers) between about 7 or 8 players so I can keep them all fresh and nuture the younger lads. Really enjoying it again, started to get a bit boring last season so its really good to be able to change teams. Am now 3rd after 25 matches, 4 points behind 2nd and 11 or so behind barca. No chance of catching them as I just cant manage to put a run of wins together. Usually a win, draw, win, loss, win, etc. Which is a lot of fun actually! :D

Got a quality striker from SA with a deep search scout. Can't remember the name, narra or something or other. 19 and strong, quick and good finishing, good control aswell.

Thing I hate about the scouting is that it's not real players the scout finds, it's those silly generated players with silly appearances and silly names (this was another thing supposedly fixed for Fifa09 that wasn't), so you end up getting an Asian looking guy called Pavel Escobar from Scotland :(

There's over 500 teams in the game, why can't the scout find you real players from those teams' reserves?

Don't think so Nick because the reserves are actually in the game at a lot of clubs, reserves at Tranmere would be great for teams in the league below for example (well not great but ... better than nothing).

And look at the size of Liverpool's squad since the January data update, they've got more reserves than Tranmere have scored goals this season. Championship-level sides (at the very least) would get a lot of use out of them.

Yeah the guy I was talking about (ngara nassa) sounds african but is SA* with fortunatly SA looks (semi light with curly long hair).

*South American, just realised SA are the initials for South Africa :D

Last edited:
Had an annoying sheduling bug yesterday. Finished my first season with valencia in 5th, just about managing to stay on and not get fired. I do all the accept stuff and the transfer window opens. So I send out my scout and play a match. I then decide that I want to sell a couple of fringe players but to my surprise see that I'm already in sep and the window has shut! Im wondering if I would have gotten all my transfer neg. rounds in that one day or that EA have just f#$ked it up? I would say the latter but I cant check now. Fortunately I've got a balanced squad so no need to buy, but still......

Im Managing Leeds United
Got Promoted First Season With 98 Points with a Little Help From on Loan Ched Evans and adam Johnson But ended 2nd Behind Leicester Who Got 108 :|
My Second Season i Finished 15th very disappointing but my aim was to avoid releagtion. Loaned Xisco From Newcastle Which turned Into a Permanent Deal Also Brought In Rob Hulse,Robbie Blake,Miles Addison, Matt Oakly, John Joe Otoole, Chris Burke and Just About To start My 3rd Season

O and I Increased Elland Road To 50,000 Capacity :)

Had an annoying sheduling bug yesterday. Finished my first season with valencia in 5th, just about managing to stay on and not get fired. I do all the accept stuff and the transfer window opens. So I send out my scout and play a match. I then decide that I want to sell a couple of fringe players but to my surprise see that I'm already in sep and the window has shut! Im wondering if I would have gotten all my transfer neg. rounds in that one day or that EA have just f#$ked it up? I would say the latter but I cant check now. Fortunately I've got a balanced squad so no need to buy, but still......
This is the difference about playing as a Spanish club. The season calendar runs September to June, rather than August to May. So your transfer window occurs during the final month of the season (June) and you only get one week at the start of a new season.

So you managed to miss your transfer window at the end of last season, presumably because you weren't expecting one. Always January I suppose!

I'm in my second season with Barnet now, finished as champions in the first season and have now decided to post how things are going on here.

I've set myself very strict rules to make it a real challenge.

- Always accept the lowest sponsor
- Accept all offers for players whether they are for sale or not
- Money spent on scouting at all times, though I can only take on players with realistic names (not a Brazilian called Paul Smith)
- 15% bonuses on all contracts offered to players
- Ticket prices set to low
- Auto player attributes off. Only make realistic stat improvements and players over the age of 25 only receive stat improvements in certain areas. Players speed cannot improve after 23 years old, where as free kick accuracy and penalties etc could improve at any time as they take practice
- Staff upgrades only allowed with progress each season. Stadium upgrades only made as progress through the leagues. Only one that has been improved is stamina simply to give more realism
- Can only spend as much money as is sold on players
- Only realistic signings made, for example, as I am in League One, I cannot sign players from overseas only in Britain as my scouting would not cover these areas
- Also applies to free signings, only realistic signings made with a wage maximum of £5,500 per player

Signings to date include:
Adebayo Akinfenwa from Northampton
Leon Clarke on a free transfer
Shaleum Logan on a free transfer
Zoltan Harsanyi on loan from Bolton
Rob Edwards on loan from Blackpool
Dean Furman from Bradford
Brian Nielson on a free transfer
Claude Gnapka from Luton

Last season I had Dominic Matteo (Stoke) and Michael Flynn (Huddersfield) on loan. Matteo finished third in the Player of the Season (based on average rating). Adebayo Akinfenwa finshed first (even though he was only signed in January) with keeper Ran Kadoch coming into the team and impressing enough to come second.

I have trimmed the squad significantly since taking over selling a lot of the younger unskilled players with no future at the club as well as first team regulars including captain Kenny Gillet, Ismail Yakubu, Michael Leary, Max Porter, John O'Flynn, Cliff Akurang and Paul Furlong.

The current squad is as follows:

GK
Lee Harrison
Ran Kadoch

DF
Shaleum Logan
Gary Breen
Jay Devera
Matt Lockwood
Nicky Nicolau
Abu Ogogo (currently out on loan)
Jeremy De Magalhaes
Ashley Carew
Claude Gnapka
Rob Edwards

MF
Albert Adomah
Dean Furman
Neal Bishop
Yannick Bolasie
Mark Hughes
Kieron St Aimie
Brian Nielsen
Nicky Deverdics

ST
Adebayo Akinfenwa
Adam Birchall
Luke Medley
Leon Clarke
Zoltan Harsanyi

After nine games in League One, my team currently sit 15th as the new players gel together. MK Dons are next up and another update will follow shortly.

Last edited:
If anyone has any specific requests relating to my season, for example overall player ratings of players or more information on them, just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom