FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

IMO Fifa07 - UCL - Fifa08 were far, far bigger generational leaps than PES2 - PES3. And considering that UCL was really just a mid season filler and doesn't count as a "new version" per se, Fifa07 - Fifa08 was an absolutely humungous leap.

Agreed but I am making the point that the two games are still the best of a very average bunch as far as footy games goes at this moment in time.PES3 was light years ahead of anything we had had before ,Euro 08 is most certainly not.

Goalkeepers are probably the worst I have seen in a footy game with this total inability to come off the animation rails when the ball is literally a foot infront of them.

I hate the animation cycle that just makes you feel your not in control.No matter how hard you press a button, the ball responds when the CPU is ready not when you make the press.

Passing and shooting still feels light to me.Cut backs are the norm online and the celebration mode is just stupid.

Having only played Euro 2008 and none of the recent FIFA games, could you tell me whether it's possible to edit player stats like in Pro, as this feature wasn't on Euro.

You can edit the stats of all players in Fifa but unfortunately there's a point limit, so either you take away points from certain areas to free up points for other areas, or you buy a point pack from the shop using points you've earned by winning things.

You can edit the stats of all players in Fifa but unfortunately there's a point limit, so either you take away points from certain areas to free up points for other areas, or you buy a point pack from the shop using points you've earned by winning things.

Which sucks.

There was an exploit where you could rebuy the packs over and over again, but it made the whole editing process far more complicated than it needed to be.

Agreed but I am making the point that the two games are still the best of a very average bunch as far as footy games goes at this moment in time.PES3 was light years ahead of anything we had had before ,Euro 08 is most certainly not.

Goalkeepers are probably the worst I have seen in a footy game with this total inability to come off the animation rails when the ball is literally a foot infront of them.

I hate the animation cycle that just makes you feel your not in control.No matter how hard you press a button, the ball responds when the CPU is ready not when you make the press.

Passing and shooting still feels light to me.Cut backs are the norm online and the celebration mode is just stupid.

Amen to that...

I agree with shots feeling too light. When you score a goal from long range it doesn't feel like it has any power to it.

Yes definetley. I hope this is rectified for FIFA 09. Its one of the most important aspects of the game.

finally you guys start talking about that. shooting doesnt feel right in next gen fifa. curiously look at fifa 08 for pc/ps2: shots have much more power there, almost like in pes.

hope that is fixed in 09.

Passing and shooting are terrible in Fifa/Euro.They have to change that becasue is very important things in game.When I play Pro-evo I can do everything what I want,but when I play Fifa/Euro i can't:-ll

Unfortunately from the gameplay video we saw, shooting looks the same

I am afraid the overall mechanics of the gameplay features have not changed.Yes the collision and balance physics seem much improved, but the passing and shooting looks very similar to me.

It all looks super smooth in motion but lacks the satisfaction thats a consequence of your actions.PES was brilliant for this, infuriating when heavily scripted, but when you lined one up and hit it on the sweet spot it sure did make you want to watch it over and over again.

The ball seems to float an awful lot in FIFA and it just all lacks weight (except for the charchter models that could do with losing a stone or two).

Passing and shooting are terrible in Fifa/Euro.They have to change that becasue is very important things in game.When I play Pro-evo I can do everything what I want,but when I play Fifa/Euro i can't:-ll

That's one of the reasons I abbandoned PES and dont' even want to go to the pes forums anymore: people comparing an arcade approach and a simluation approach. And they don't even know they are doing so.

In PES you can do anything, it just doesn't matter the pace of the player, the direction, etc... You press square and a shot goes in or ouy depending on.. what?? Same with dribblings and passing and everything. It doesn't require any special abbility to do it. You take a kid and in 5 minutes can do whatever he wants in the game. But the thing is... that's not fun to me. I want a simulation. I want to fail most of the times because I misjudged something, the opponent blocked me, outplayed me, because I failed a pass, etc.... I want my skills to be recquired first and, together with the stats of the players and the game physics see how things develop.

Fifa takes into account alot more factors than PES and regarding passing and shooting, it's miles ahead of pes in my opinion. You just need to play in semi or manual shooting and passing. Most kids play fifa in automatic and can't see the difference.

Granted, in FIFA you can't just press square and make a terrible shot straight to the corner. It takes a lot more things to accomplish that in Fifa, even luck! And I tell you I have scored very pretty rockets. Long shots and even low screamers! It demands timing, luck, the right player on the right food... And of course, you don't expect scoring rockets everyday, don't you?

One of the things that really annoy me of Pes fans is how they "can do anything I want" in the game. You should be able to try it, and fail most of the times as in real life. A game where you can do anything you want seems to me more like Street Soccer or Pokemon soccer.

But if you want a game where "shots go furiously in", Ronaldo can't outtake anyone, dribble simply by pressing a button or even less... Maybe if these people had a Adriano-pes in the game and could score everytime from 25 yards, then they would say "the game is kool, you can skore pretty rockets! whooaaaaa!".

Right now fifa asks for a little skill by the gamer, while pes simply doesn't. And I really hope in Fifa 09 it's still difficult to score from far. I don't see so many far shots going in in reality, and of course not with the power you suggest.

In all the euro, as I remember there was only that free kick from ballack and a pair of far shots that were NEAR but not in. Just the kind of behaviour I find in Euro.

PES used to be like this. When you shot the ball and your player wasnt facing the goal, he just fell down on the ground and made a very püoor shot effort. For PES 2008 its true what your saying.

But thats not the point. The point is that it is incredibly fascinating to score a screamer with such a power and the ball just drops down infront of the goal due to its physically correct weight. And important part in that satisfaction for the player are the nets. Just like in real football you feel way better wenn the ball crushes into the net and it just bends to the back. Thats the real feeling of scoring with a strong effort that PES has and Fifa just doesnt have on Next gen (like i said before: current gen has it...).

That's one of the reasons I abbandoned PES and dont' even want to go to the pes forums anymore: people comparing an arcade approach and a simluation approach. And they don't even know they are doing so.

In PES you can do anything, it just doesn't matter the pace of the player, the direction, etc... You press square and a shot goes in or ouy depending on.. what?? Same with dribblings and passing and everything. It doesn't require any special abbility to do it. You take a kid and in 5 minutes can do whatever he wants in the game. But the thing is... that's not fun to me. I want a simulation. I want to fail most of the times because I misjudged something, the opponent blocked me, outplayed me, because I failed a pass, etc.... I want my skills to be recquired first and, together with the stats of the players and the game physics see how things develop.

Fifa takes into account alot more factors than PES and regarding passing and shooting, it's miles ahead of pes in my opinion. You just need to play in semi or manual shooting and passing. Most kids play fifa in automatic and can't see the difference.

Granted, in FIFA you can't just press square and make a terrible shot straight to the corner. It takes a lot more things to accomplish that in Fifa, even luck! And I tell you I have scored very pretty rockets. Long shots and even low screamers! It demands timing, luck, the right player on the right food... And of course, you don't expect scoring rockets everyday, don't you?

One of the things that really annoy me of Pes fans is how they "can do anything I want" in the game. You should be able to try it, and fail most of the times as in real life. A game where you can do anything you want seems to me more like Street Soccer or Pokemon soccer.

But if you want a game where "shots go furiously in", Ronaldo can't outtake anyone, dribble simply by pressing a button or even less... Maybe if these people had a Adriano-pes in the game and could score everytime from 25 yards, then they would say "the game is kool, you can skore pretty rockets! whooaaaaa!".

Right now fifa asks for a little skill by the gamer, while pes simply doesn't. And I really hope in Fifa 09 it's still difficult to score from far. I don't see so many far shots going in in reality, and of course not with the power you suggest.

In all the euro, as I remember there was only that free kick from ballack and a pair of far shots that were NEAR but not in. Just the kind of behaviour I find in Euro.

nah mate there is a difference, in PES say you took gary neville, or zak knight or puyol, defenders or guys with terrible shooting stats, would rarely score... the stats mattered in pro evo... they dont in fifa... thats something i would like to see in fifa

When I say Pes I mean Pes 6 not Pes 2008.Please don't say that Fifa is simulation becasuse in this game aren't referees!This is football??I don't think so:HAND: Look for shooting in FIFA,all shoots looks the same!Looks for goalkeepers they do everything(magic)!Did you saw 20 times in one match a lot of parads goalkeepers what we can see in Fifa/Euro???Another think:tactics

1.Tactics in Pes i very important thing,but in Fifa is only on paper
2.In Fifa tacticts,stats looks very nice but only looks,in Pes I feel my tactics,I feel my Players,I feel game!!
3.Free kicks??Where??I don't see.This very important thing to!

Last edited:

Of course the ridiculous skills, with people flicking balls over there shoulders, slamming Y down the touchline to a super fast ronaldo or anelka, does not happen in FIFA..................right?.........................wrong.Your forgeting the obvious flaws in FIFA in favour of highlighting the obvious flaws in PES.

The outcome of the game is not in the game engine, its in the person who is playing it.I can quite easily kick off and score with FIFA, I can do the same with PES, I can cut back in FIFA, I can do the same in PES.

PES has its flaws (alot) but it can be a great and very close game if players play it like real football.The same goes for FIFA, but all too often you see the same goals, predictable passing movements over and over again online.

Can we stop talking about things that dont matter and get back to talking about the long ankle tapes

So, is it confirmed yet?

Shots in FIFA are way better than PES. Far more calculations in how the result will end up. In PES you can't shoot with top spin unless you volley the ball and that's hardly realistic. There are problems with the shooting in FIFA though, because there aren't any screamers at all and you can't tell the player to try to shoot a low hard shot that doesn't dip in the end (don't know the english word for it). Like Ballacks freekick in Euro even if that was high.

You can somewhat make a shot like that by timing very late so the ball almost gets behind the player. But that mostly results in a bad shot like it should, because that is not how you shoot in real life.

I play on manual shooting and I could never go back to PES with its assisted shooting now because manual shooting requires so much skill and is so rewarding. I have no idea how anyone can play with semi or assisted when we have this option.

Would be interesting to know if the guys that think Super Cancel should go away and only have 100% free movement really plays all manual... somehow I doubt it, because it sounds like most people play semi. I might be wrong though.

shots are better in fifa than in pes but they do not feel right. they need to be more powerfull. especiall the one-timers look terrible

I never realized how weak the shots were until reading today's posts.

I've just been playing FIFA and in replays, you can clearly see that some passes are as powerfull/fast as the shots. Played with Liverpool and Chelsea to shoot from distance with Gerrard, Alonso, Ballack and Lampard, and indeed, shots are very weak.

I always felt they were kind of floaty and not right, but the lack of power had never really caught my eye like it did today. One of the 250 perhaps?

I've just been playing FIFA and in replays, you can clearly see that some passes are as powerfull/fast as the shots. Played with Liverpool and Chelsea to shoot from distance with Gerrard, Alonso, Ballack and Lampard, and indeed, shots are very weak.

I always felt they were kind of floaty and not right, but the lack of power had never really caught my eye like it did today. One of the 250 perhaps?

I've been saying it since day 1. :)

All you really need to do is try to replicate real-life scenarios.
And there is no way FIFA08/Euro08 would let you do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO49XT9OK1M

Or, even better as an example, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkDyeK_cVA

Once the shooting system is redesigned where you can replicate these types of shots (not all the time of course, but where it is atleast theoretically possible to get as much speed and the flat trajectory), then the shooting system would be good.

Another great example is Erik Edman's goal in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opt7_arXcMw

Im sure this will be fixed in FIFA 09. They seem to be listening to the fans and addressing many problem areas and shooting/ball physics must have been one that popped up frequently. Well I would like to think so anyway.

What FIFA lacks is the ability to score those screamers (as said by Trance_Allstar)and also the nets physics with it in order to make it feel better.

Well, I've scored some impressive goals in Fifa. Maybe they're not as superpowerful as those examples, but those are realy really strange and unique goals. Goals scored once every 100 attempts. And that kind of things are extremely difficult to replicate in an engine.

Personally I would prefer other enhancements to the game and I'm glad if Fifa doesn't turn into a crackers fest. Most of the times, the shots go out. About 60% of shots in real life doesn't even go to target. That means it should be really difficult from long range to score, just as it is now.

I know Fifa has a lot of flaws. We are ages and many generations away of a really realistic simulation of football. But I was stressing into the fact that Fifa, at least, is trying more realistic approaches to the game, SPECIALLY in the passing and shooting department (playing in semi or manual).

By the way, I've scored from midfield with Ballack against a mate, some impressive long shots that hit twice the woodwork before going in and a wide variety of long shots. Yes, I'm unable to score a low long shot. But I don't thing right now that would be one of my priorities to improve the game, really.

i agree, the shots from a distance are useless. thats one thing old PES games have, the ability to shoot from a distance

u guys serious? i dont think u know how to shoot, ive scored some awesome goals from distance

u guys serious? i dont think u know how to shoot, ive scored some awesome goals from distance

Yup, i just had to insert my euro 2008 disc(after wipin the durt off it)

I scored to great goals from distance but the game frooze each time and i scored two more after that, not as good as the first which were further out.

i guess we have to settle for these two but scored by Agbonlahor

Number 1

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/17680
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/17681

Number 2

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/17682
http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/17683

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom