FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

img.60981_t.jpg
cdotron.jpg

Awesome.... (if there was long ankle tapes :-pp )

People going on about long tape (and other similar stuff) = Pathetic... IMO.
FFS, get a grip. I can't possibly understand why this gets to some people. Each to their own I guess but it gets on my tits coming on here and reading such shite. Rant over.
Come on SJP76, what the hell else is there, with the little bit of info available, besides it's an Evo tradition. :-pp

Aslong as the games make your player run on a set path that you don't want them too - Then Supercancel needs to be in a Game......end of story.

Like when a diagonal ball comes along the ground and the player runs into the space he thinks it will end up - you can't stop him from running into that space. Aslong as that happens you need Super cancel in the game.
I don't understand why they still do this, your guy should come under your full control as you select him?

No sorry you're mistaken, it's LB+RT when using new alternative config, look for yourself in the list of controls under "Attacking Advanced" it's listed as "Cancel", it works to either cancel out a button press or to regain control from a scripted movement towards the ball.

Ahh, OK, thanks Placebo. But how does that work, since LB is change player? That's the reason I just assumed it was LT rather than LB. :)

Plenty of people don't care about singleplayer and think it's pathetic how I go on about my longing for manager mode improvements, if short ankle tape is what keeps some people awake at night who are we to decide they're pathetic or not? :)

I never meant the people who talk about it are pathetic people. I just think it's quite sad mentioning this crap but that's my opinion. They can say what they want so I will just scroll through and just ignore it in future.

Somebody mentioned it enhances the "gameplay" (something like that). It doesn't make any difference to the gameplay whatsoever. Game experience maybe for some(not for me obviously).

@ Nick Cave - I know where I can go and that's wherever I want. As can you.

Carry on talking about your tape etc. chaps and Enjoy.

Have a good weekend all.

Surely it's LT+RT? I use that all the time to win headers in Euro 2008. Just before the ball reach you, cancel towards the ball to get in front of the defender. By just using LT you move to slow and it's much harder to get in front of the other player.

I'm not sure if I agree that you should always have full control over a player. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it, but I have a feeling you would often miss the ball by a couple of feet because it's hard to line up perfectly to the ball with the camera view from the side. They could add it as an option.

Another problem might be that you want to pass the ball directly when you get the ball, at another direction that you were running. That might also be hard to do because you have to really time it perfect but the player (AI) wouldn't know that you want to pass the ball in another direction so it can't adjust the player to open up it's body to make it easier to pass the ball in that direction. If you get what I mean.

They should improve Cancel though because as Trance_Allstar said, the player sometimes slow down and sometimes it doesn't work, happens rarely though.

Edit: Oh, I'm using new Analog. That's why I have LT+RT. Using LB + RT must be a hassle.

Last edited:

People going on about long tape (and other similar stuff) = Pathetic... IMO.
FFS, get a grip. I can't possibly understand why this gets to some people. Each to their own I guess but it gets on my tits coming on here and reading such shite. Rant over.

Wow take it easy man ,it's the internet after all ,what do you seriously expect ? Have fun and enjoy

I never meant the people who talk about it are pathetic people. I just think it's quite sad mentioning this crap but that's my opinion. They can say what they want so I will just scroll through and just ignore it in future.

Somebody mentioned it enhances the "gameplay" (something like that). It doesn't make any difference to the gameplay whatsoever. Game experience maybe for some(not for me obviously).

Have a good weekend all.

I'm not with you, If you thought I was having a dig I apologize mate though I wasn't? :SS

I think he thought you were the one that wrote what was actually written by Cammey :LOL:

I don't understand why they still do this, your guy should come under your full control as you select him?

Its all about giving the user options. in both PES and Fifa, players are automatically made to run to a loose ball...that predetermined running path calculated by the game is the shortest/fastest way for us to get to it, so I suppose that helps in an assisted-run kinda way. At times, U might encounter situations where you know you can't get to the ball in time, so in this case you might wanna switch from running to receive the ball and mark the nearest person you think he's gonna pass to instead. SuperCancel was a Godsend to me when it was introduced in PES, and I'm glad it made its way to Fifa (though I only found it more effective in cancelling out a pass or shot, than it does with runs)

Have a good weekend all.

That's fair enough :DD

Well, as others have stated, there are situations where it wouldn't be suitable to always have control. For example, when switching players with LB, if you switch to a defender that just then is chasing a player, and you don't hold the same direction that he was running, you will mess up his run. It's just not possible to always know where the cursor will switch to, and therefor it is wise to have assisted movement to avoid alot of players stopping suddenly as soon as your cursor reaches them.

But the Supercancel needs to work flawlessly then, and as I stated, (when using New Analog) the player will most times slow down to LT-speed when moving. I don't use it as a "stop run" single input command, I like to hold it in once I have pressed it to make sure it gets through, and if the player then slows down to LT-speed once the initial "Cancel" command has been executed, then it's not a "Supercancel", then it's just "stop run".

In PES you can run around all games with Supercancel held in. That's how it should work.

Surely it's LT+RT? I use that all the time to win headers in Euro 2008. Just before the ball reach you, cancel towards the ball to get in front of the defender. By just using LT you move to slow and it's much harder to get in front of the other player.

I'm not sure if I agree that you should always have full control over a player. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it, but I have a feeling you would often miss the ball by a couple of feet because it's hard to line up perfectly to the ball with the camera view from the side. They could add it as an option.

Another problem might be that you want to pass the ball directly when you get the ball, at another direction that you were running. That might also be hard to do because you have to really time it perfect but the player (AI) wouldn't know that you want to pass the ball in another direction so it can't adjust the player to open up it's body to make it easier to pass the ball in that direction. If you get what I mean.

They should improve Cancel though because as Trance_Allstar said, the player sometimes slow down and sometimes it doesn't work, happens rarely though.

Edit: Oh, I'm using new Analog. That's why I have LT+RT. Using LB + RT must be a hassle.

I thought so, I didn't realize Placebo mentioned "New Alternate". I play "New Analog", PES style (not reversed shooting/crossing buttons etc).
So my point about SUpercancel not being in FIFA yet is still valid. And I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I'm more bothered about Metzelder's beard being recreated to perfection, what a masterpiece in sporting facial fluff.

Supercancel is an old gen concepts honestly

Aslong as the games make your player run on a set path that you don't want them too - Then Supercancel needs to be in a Game......end of story.

I didn't quite understand the rest of charlievolano's post but I agree with the sentinment that it's old gen.

BobbyBox is right in that you need to be able to SuperCancel your player out of scripted runs, but the real issue is the fact he's on a scripted run in the first place.

What's the point of a 1,000 decision second AI model if it won't even free up the one player on the pitch you're supposed to be controlling. As soon as I switch to a player, he should be mine to control 100%. There should be no need to press special buttons to gain "full" control.

Seabass spawned this god-awful concept and EA are equally at fault for having not just copied it, but carried it forward into their supposedly next-gen AI model.

AI was supposed to mean artifical intelligence, not artificial interference.

I'm not with you, If you thought I was having a dig I apologize mate though I wasn't? :SS

Sorry Nick. My mistake. I was going from memory cos I was too lazy to scroll back up again and for some reason your name came to mind. Sorry.

I was answering to Cammey but I wasn't meaning to offend anybody. I explained a bit more and he said cool so no harm done.

Must be my time of the month. I'm cool now.

Back on topic chaps. What's everybodies favourite colour tape? :)

the small details add to the atmosphere and realism of the game, and enhance the gameplay experience for many people. just as you want accurate faces, some want accurate boots - the more obsessed of us want accurate everything. boots, tape, free kick styles - headgear on keepers, individual player animations, net physicsm types of nets, net supports.....this is what we want...

back in the day - e3specially in the editing forums w/ the old winning eleven games on the ps2, these types of conversations were common place.

ironic how it was pro who used to deliver these details and fifa was more generic, now the tide is turning...

if you cant talk about it in a fifa/pro obsessed forum environment where can you discuss it!.....

I absoloutley 100% agree. This is a forum where Fifa fans get to share the hopes and opinions. So when you get tools saying that what you would like to see in the game just to kill some time is pathetic then they should just leave. A little thing like long tape can make a difference when your playing. It really makes the player you are playing with e.g C.Ronaldo look like he does in real life. Just as having Benzema wearing a white wristband in Fifa 08. Makes the feel and look of Benzema like he is in real life.

We really saw a great example of this from the 2 images Reddevils. He compared a real life picture of C.Ronaldo with a picture of him from the Fifa 09 images that i edited long tape onto. Just shows how effective it looks. Again a couple of you fellas are saying "oh no, not another untucked shirts fiasco blah blah". But things like the untucked shirts, long tape, wristbands, gloves, keeper headgear and even normal tape make a huge difference to the appearence of the game. It makes you feel that you are really playing with that player because he has all the accessories on just like he does in real life. For me when i play with ronaldo on fifa 08 i dont really feel like im really playing as Cristiano Ronaldo, because he has on normal tape and i know full well he doesnt wear normal tape but long. But then when im playing with rooney or anderson i really feel like i am playing with them because they do wear normal tape.

So in the meen time if someone does have an opinion, no matter how small or even just a little detail, instead of shooting it down, making little sarchastic comments and criticising it just ignore it or think how it would help the game. Because if the little details like tape, untucked shirts, wristbands, gloves etc are not important then why do Fifa include them? Its because it helps the appearence of the game and appearence is a big aspect of Fifa.

Last edited:

I don't use it as a "stop run" single input command, I like to hold it in once I have pressed it to make sure it gets through, and if the player then slows down to LT-speed once the initial "Cancel" command has been executed, then it's not a "Supercancel", then it's just "stop run".

In PES you can run around all games with Supercancel held in. That's how it should work.

I thought so, I didn't realize Placebo mentioned "New Alternate". I play "New Analog", PES style (not reversed shooting/crossing buttons etc).
So my point about SUpercancel not being in FIFA yet is still valid. And I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

As I already said, it's not a stop run, it's a proper super cancel, you can hold it down and run around the pitch with it, it's easy to practice with it, pass from one player to another, the recipient will be locked in place, use super cancel and move them out of the way, if you're really proficient with it and use manual passing you could even use it to dummy a pass and when the ball's past a defender run on to it, as I said in my example I super cancelled a player completely out of the path of the ball as he was offside, I've done this more than once, I'm nearing 800 singleplayer matches now so I'm pretty familiar with the vagaries of the game ;)

Last edited:

I didn't quite understand the rest of charlievolano's post but I agree with the sentinment that it's old gen.

BobbyBox is right in that you need to be able to SuperCancel your player out of scripted runs, but the real issue is the fact he's on a scripted run in the first place.

What's the point of a 1,000 decision second AI model if it won't even free up the one player on the pitch you're supposed to be controlling. As soon as I switch to a player, he should be mine to control 100%. There should be no need to press special buttons to gain "full" control.

Seabass spawned this god-awful concept and EA are equally at fault for having not just copied it, but carried it forward into their supposedly next-gen AI model.

AI was supposed to mean artifical intelligence, not artificial interference.

I understand what Trance_Allstar and adelante are saying but I have to agree with winston, I don't understand why I should have to supercancel, I want instant control, If the guy is sprinting when I get him and I'm not pressing sprint he should slow down and stop, if I ask him to turn sharp right he should try to turn sharp right!

I'm sure it's technically possible to programme that. If I cock it up, fine but let me do it instead of having to watch your player carry on running while the ball sails past you at a slightly differing angle. It's as bad as the stupid pressing button, and if I have to have a pressing/jostle button why can I only do it at a crawl? :LOL:

I want the moon on a stick damn it...:-pp

As I already said, it's not a stop run, it's a proper super cancel, you can hold it down and run around the pitch with it, it's easy to practice with it, pass from one player to another, the recipient will be locked in place, use super cancel and move them out of the way, if you're really proficient with it and use manual passing you could even use it to dummy a pass and when the ball's past a defender run on to it, as I said in my example I super cancelled a player completely out of the path of the ball as he was offside, I've done this more than once, I'm nearing 800 singleplayer matches now so I'm pretty familiar with the vagaries of the game ;)

No yeah, I got ya mate. ;)

But it still doesn't change the fact that many times when I am defending against the other team and press Supercancel, my player will slow down because I am holding LT (even though I am not executing the LT command, but the LT+RT command).
This needs to be fixed imo, since RT+LT should be SUpercancel at all times, and thus your player should never slow down to LT speed when holding those buttons simultaneously and not in possession of the ball.

Beauty is always in the detail.The boots, untucked shirts, tape, head gear, wrist bands,socks down,socks up,net physics, crowd animation,coaches,subs,weather effects,degrading pitches,player celebrations are all part of the game.

Its amazing that we notice and wish for such changes when you are actually playing the game, thinking "i wish they had done this or that" I certainly do and thus there is still a lack of wow factor.

It looks good, it feels ok but it somehow lacks something and I can only imagine its the obvious detail for most.The gameplay argument is obviously the primary concern but they very rarely make the little detail changes all the way through the series, just mere tweaks to the gameplay and then we start a new generation and off we go again.

They should add more and more detail as they add more elements to the gameplay.In fairness to EA they seem to be listenig a touch more and it appears there are some detail changes to this years game (ref/lino,coaches,weather,crowd) but all the other minor details are just as important and I dont know why it seems so difficult to add in long/short tape and better editing facilities.

FIFA is still a frustrating game for me.Euro 08 is still frustrating with avarage respons and on rails animation (especially the piss poor keepers),net physics were better in 08 and wank in euro, especially on replays.I think its clear they take somethings out, add new modes and try to keep the series fresh but we never get the game we want, I dont think thats going to change.

So for all the forums and feedback it makes perfect commercial sense to hold back and give us 50% of what we want, wait for next year, take some away and start again, Konami did it for years and EA are not going to change.

I, like many have been caught up in EA's hype machine, shame on us for getting sucked in,FIFA's still along way off an amzing experience to rival that of PES3 when I first slipped it into my PS2.

I want to love FIFA because it looks wonderful its got bags of atmosphere but..............................the gameplay is still short of that amazing experience I had with the earlier PES series.

its an assumption but I thinkl all of us that have turned to the FIFA series are secretly desperate for our fallen hero to rise from the ashes and produce the kinda of game it can be that FIFA wants so hard to emulate.

Last edited:

I think the idea of having a 100% free movement of players (meaning no more use of super cancel) is an utopia and would be very hard to implement in the game from the game makers and very hard to master for the gamers that we are. That's why a quicker and more instinctive "super cancel" is needed .
100% free movement is a lot more complicating than what we realise

I think the idea of having a 100% free movement of players (meaning no more use of super cancel) is an utopia and would be very hard to implement in the game from the game makers and very hard to master for the gamers that we are. That's why a quicker and more instinctive "super cancel" is needed .
100% free movement is a lot more complicating than what we realise

eh?

have you been drinking meths again?

eh?

have you been drinking meths again?

Why again :-pp ?
More seriously ,i mean that 100% free movement (on and off the ball) is a lot harder than what we realise. If super cancel is used there is a good reason

I really hate it when gamers generalise their personnal opinion to a larger number including unknown

I cant stand it when people take things to the extreme.

Dont be childish, you know what i mean.Alot of people including me get sucked into the hype before a game is released.More so the fooy games.

IMO EA have produced around 6 next gen titles, all of which are still miles away from the leap we saw in PES3 yet we just keep buying them!!!

Only one reason and thats the old marketing tricks that EA are past masters at.

If FIFA's anything like 08 and Euro then its still average.

IMO Fifa07 - UCL - Fifa08 were far, far bigger generational leaps than PES2 - PES3. And considering that UCL was really just a mid season filler and doesn't count as a "new version" per se, Fifa07 - Fifa08 was an absolutely humungous leap.

I cant stand it when people take things to the extreme.

Dont be childish, you know what i mean.Alot of people including me get sucked into the hype before a game is released.More so the fooy games.

IMO EA have produced around 6 next gen titles, all of which are still miles away from the leap we saw in PES3 yet we just keep buying them!!!

Only one reason and thats the old marketing tricks that EA are past masters at.

I can only judge by what you write and not by what you "mean".
I know i took to the extreme (and purposely so) just to show you that such things don't make sense to be written

Having only played Euro 2008 and none of the recent FIFA games, could you tell me whether it's possible to edit player stats like in Pro, as this feature wasn't on Euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom