FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

no they just like playing with poeple's emotions:r1

Anonymous said...
I see no pics galore and it's morning now. Don't make promises you can't keep you shitheads.

02 July 2008 02:20

that's a bit much though i'm a little dissapointed but no as hurt this guy.

Don't think its in their hands really. They were probably promised new pics etc and still waiting.

did anyone find that when you created a player sometimes he would just mysteriously dissapear????

edit: i mean in fifa 08

Yes, the load/save method for the player database was really messed up. You could accidentally overwrite it with the default one after quitting a game mode, it isn't a very user-friendly system. I lost my created players twice, gave up in the end.

glad it's not only me i hope this is sorted in 09!!!

This happen to me several times ass well:brick: What I did in the end was that I created 5/6 different squads saves, so if one got messed up because you played an online game or a manager game I would have backup. It also seemed to help if I took my created players into a mangaer mode season.. they should be able to fix this and also give us more freedom as for adding stats to players..

No it's not the same, it says that at various points; for example it clearly says in the first paragraph that there are keyboard and mouse controls on the PC version, which offer functionality not included on the console versions.

LOL some people are just determined to miss the point.......

Fifa09 PC = Almost next gen graphics with the gameplay and contents of the current gen versions......

Yes, but I mean graphic. With gameplay its not so good , but anyway much more better then last year.

Paul Hossack: What made that happen were three main things. The visuals are first. Our development team that worked on 360 and PS3 has blazed the trail on graphics, and we've used that exact technology and made it work on the PC.
The graphics will be the same.

For the 8,000th time.......

fifa09pcss3.jpg

Almost next gen graphics, current gen gameplay.

http://www.zshare.net/download/13091394785f06c4/
http://www.mediafire.com/?jvynngigzwb

Full preview....

I have read it, have you also read "The game has also implemented many of the same animations that you'll see in the PS2 version of the game". That there tells you visually it won't be the same, or you think that animations aren't part of visuals?

If it ends up looking 100% like the next gen versions then that's great for those people who still want to play the game on PC, personally I have zero interest in sports games on PC and will gladly be laid in bed using my 360 :)

IGN: The key focus with FIFA 09 for the PC is going to be developing a PC-specific version of the game that looks and feels like a PC game as opposed to a port. What steps are being done to make that happen?

Paul Hossack: What made that happen were three main things. The visuals are first. Our development team that worked on 360 and PS3 has blazed the trail on graphics, and we've used that exact technology and made it work on the PC. Players will look lifelike; you'll see the sweat on their brow and 3D grass. We focused on leading-edge visuals.

Our new control scheme uses the mouse and is PC-specific. Instead of looking at your PC game as controlling a player and finding the angle that I want to pass from, I'm looking at it much more as pointing to the place onto the pitch where I want to go to. It's a different way of playing, and allowed us to add a couple of new features. When defending, you can choose which defender you want to control. You can imagine your opponent coming down the wing, only for you to see a bigger threat coming into the box -- now, you can select your central defender and take care of that forward in the box.

The other cool thing is that when you have the ball, you have a different level of control over where your teammates move. We've always been able to tell people to go on runs, but now, if you click empty space, you can control where your players go. You can have your teammates do diagonal runs, backwards runs. I'll send guys on runs to the pitch and then send the ball at the same time, it gives a good feeling of chemistry. That's how it plays out.

It feels more like you're a conductor of an orchestra, telling people what to do. You have direct control, but you have a lot of influence of what else is going on the pitch.

Finally, through our menu system, we've added in connected widgets that are bite-sized pieces of info; there are five slots on the window where you can put a different widget in. They'll be pulling in information with you as a gamer, how you play offline and online, along with a lot of info about the community; it'll tell you how many people are online and you get a lot more connection to them. A lot of stats are shown versus other community members, and one of the widgets is favorite club. I'm a Liverpool fan, for example, and it's going to show me the latest five news stories about Liverpool, the last result of the Liverpool match, the upcoming match, and then more stats related to the league.

IGN: Where did the idea come from for the mouse techniques seen in the game?

Paul Hossack: I asked my gameplay guys what would happen if a first-person shooter ran into FIFA. As game designers, and as a game lover myself, the amount of control available in first-person shooters is ideal; it's a very intuitive control. We're not taking advantage of the controls on the PC, so we started prototyping this type of control last fall, and it was only after a couple of months that that mouse idea came up.

IGN: What about the widgets?

Paul Hossack: The widgets came from other genres of entertainment. I get up and I'm online before I leave the house, I have my own personal home pages that I go to every morning. That type of interaction becomes really natural for a lot of people who are on PCs, so if you play FIFA and love football, chances are that your PC is going to be online 90% of the time, so why not include them?

IGN: In the long run, do you expect most users to end up using the keyboard/mouse combination, or stick with what they've traditionally used?

Paul Hossack: I can only guess, but I have a feeling that a lot of users that were keyboard users are gonna give it a try and get used to it, and I think about 50% of pad users will make the switch. It really depends on what types of personality you are. The people who are interested in trying new things out will give it a shot.

IGN: How specifically have the visuals been improved in this year's game?

Paul Hossack: It's hard to boil it down to one thing, but the player from head to toe just looks like it's on a completely different playing field. We use the same super high detail models from the PS3 and 360. These heads are five times the polygon count, the base geometry is just that more deep. It's not about polygons and textures, though, but it's the effects and what we do with it. We've done environment mapping and are using shaders properly -- the exact shaders that consoles use -- so that when you see your favorite player like Steven Gerrard, you'll see the vein in his arm and the sweat glisten properly on his brow; that makes it feel that much more realistic. The little details definitely make the difference, especially 2 feet away from the montior for PC.

IGN: Explain the Rivals feature.

Paul Hossack: It's a sub-part of interactive leagues. Looking at English football, each club plays 38 games in the league throughout the year. Let's say Tottenham is playing Liverpool. For online gamers, all the Tottenham fans play against all the Liverpool fans over and over again, and at the end of the weekend, we see who gets more points.

You can imagine a matchup against Derby and Manchester United this year. There's a different amount of fans looking for a match from each of these sides, so what the Rivals feature does is that we've identified each team's rivals, who they'd like to see win and lose. As a Liverpool fan, I'd like to see ManU and Everton lose. When searching for a match, I could end up playing Derby to see ManU lose, with the idea being that it's just as fun to see your rival lose as it is to see your favorite team win.

Good luck then. I mean ONLY graphics , animations are animations , and they are not as bad as you think.

Paul Hossack: What made that happen were three main things. The visuals are first. Our development team that worked on 360 and PS3 has blazed the trail on graphics, and we've used that exact technology and made it work on the PC. Players will look lifelike; you'll see the sweat on their brow and 3D grass. We focused on leading-edge visuals.
= next gen graphics

it cannot get any more clearer then that

Despite the fact that the PC shots are clearly not as good as the console shots?

Then lets wait for another screens.Then it will be clear what is waiting us.

Some people just don't understand:brick:
PC graphics will be almost identical as Xbox 360 and PS3, but not the same. You can see by the ankle tape and other details. Just listen to Placebo, Jack Bauer and me. We know what we talk about. ;)

Some people just don't understand:brick:
PC graphics will be almost identical as Xbox 360 and PS3, but not the same. You can see by the ankle tape and other details. Just listen to Placebo, Jack Bauer and me. We know what we talk about. ;)
realy eh? guess you diddnt know that pc games has the magical ability to tweak the graphcis settings and maybe JUST maybe, those screenshots are from medium quality graphics on the pc :P either way i wont be surprised if the pc version looks BETTER.:WORSHIP:

realy eh? guess you diddnt know that pc games has the magical ability to tweak the graphcis settings and maybe JUST maybe, those screenshots are from medium quality graphics on the pc :P either way i wont be surprised if the pc version looks BETTER.:WORSHIP:

Why would EA promote their game with "medium settings" screenshots?

Just because they use the "exact same technology" doesn't mean the graphics are going to be the exact same Jonney, does it?

There is no debate here, those screenshots aren't fake (they're featured in every gaming website and magazine for God's sake, EA circulated them, and they're not going to circulate fakes or medium-settings shots are they?). They may well use the same technology but they're not going to make the graphics as good as they will be on the 360/PS3 or you'd have to have a top-of-the-line PC to run it, which means less customers, which means less money, which is not an EA trait.

Last edited:

I think the "front-end flow" thing they are talking about is better front-end menus.

I have lost count of the amount of times on-line when you are rushed to make a sub or change formation, only for the changes not to have taken place. I dont know if I am pressing a wrong button or not, that seems to cancel the changes.

"exact same techonology" means both using same type of pixel shaders, same type of HDR lighting, same type of bump mapping, etc. etc. just because it's the same technology doesn't mean the results are the same.

If Rolf Harris draws a kangaroo with a pencil, and I use the "exact same technology pencil" my kangaroo won't look the same as Rolf's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom