FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09

I'm gonna do my best to try to give you guys the general idea of the video.
First the 2 guys are apparently journalists who have had access to FIFA 09 during several hours and played around 15-20 matches in the month of MAY.
The main idea is that they said they do not care about PES nor FIFA as in they have really no personnal preference to any franchise but all that they aim is to give public the most accurate review on the best football game (and sports game in general).
They basically said that FIFA 09 is an evolution compared to FIFA 08 and not a complete revamp and that it reminded of how PES used to work a few years ago.
They said that responsiveness,goalies,dribbles,shots are better than in FIFA 09 .It's easier to make different pattern of technical skills (like trap with the chest and straight pass which was hard before due to the lack of responsiveness).They loved the new "Be a pro mode" and the also overall quality in terms of contents.
At the end they compared it to PES,they were dissapointed with the lack of informations in Konami's part and they were really pessimistic that there'd be a huge NEEDED overhaul of PES for PS3/XBOX360 since you cannot change things in such a short time.
What surprised them is how confident EA's representatives were on their product and also to give them an early in May while precising that it was far from being the final version of the game really surprised them.
According FIFA 09 (the demo version they played) is THE BEST FOOTBALL game currently and if PES don't pull a miracle off,it won't be the best football game around (for the PS3/XBOX360)

ps: Sorry if my english was poor :CW:

Thanks I really appreciate that tres bien monsieur:applaud:

Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

All the stuff I'm reading sounds great as long as it's all implemented correctly... cant wait :) Still wondering whether they've done anything about attributes in the menus, where u can more easily compare players (pro evo had this perfect, wish they would just copy it) and no mention of whether you can make specific defenders go up for all corners (pleaaase)

I completely agree, PES has that nailed. These number ratings are useless. PES is great in that at a glance you can tell if your forward is big or small, powerful or fast, and if he is a great finisher or not. Fifa really just needs to copy that from them.

High def Fabregas

173327-Fabregas_Scholes_Tevez.jpg

I actually think its a decent face. Pisses all over Pro Evo's

This screenshot is heavily photoshopped, you can tell by the blurriness that surrounds tevez legs, its the blurriness that generates the clone-stamp tool of photoshop (used to remove, to clear things), that there was a player behind him (looking from the picture perspective) wich you can see his shadow. Also Gigs and the black guy, they where clearly put there (photoshop again), as they seem to be floating.

The graphics are superb, but that aren't untouched in-game pics.

the grass looks poor. the grass in pes2008 was actual grass ie you can see there boots imbeded in the grass. here it looks as if they just slot in a grass texture on the ground

new interview from IGN

IGN: What was the thing that you disliked most about last year's game?

Aaron: I was always e-mailing our database manager and saying Adebayor and Fabregas were rated too low! Every time Adebayor scored a goal, I sent him an e-mail with a link to it.

We made a really good game last year, and it's a testament to the game that we've been able to make improvements this year. It's huge for us.

IGN: What do you think is the first new thing long-time players of FIFA are going to notice about FIFA 09?

Aaron: The new front-end flow is the first thing you see! After doing a lot of focus testing on our front-end flow, we got a lot of good feedback and it's more consistent and it's easier to get into the game. Getting into the gameplay itself, the first thing you'll notice is the responsiveness, shooting, passing, trapping, once you've done all that and you're feeling the physical interactions, jostling, you'll feel the momentum that we're working on.

IGN: How does the new trapping system work? How does the system decide how successful a player will be at trapping the ball?

Aaron: We try and make everything attribute-driven. Trapping takes ball control, touch, and other attributes and incorporates all of them into the process. Positional trapping is another feature, which gives the players on the field a better understanding of what's happening and what's the easiest way of bringing the ball into control. The way the player takes the ball is more under control in the first place, and that's supplemented by taking the ball at the right time as opposed to at the first time. When you're swinging the ball around your back four, your old center back would face the ball and trap it, but the new system would have him take it at a 45 degree angle . He won't have to do an enormous turn. That's responsive, and that's huge. Every time there's a pass or a loose ball, there's a trap.

IGN: How have headers been improved?

Aaron: We refined the header system, allowing players the motion and freedom to position themselves. We've improved the visuals so that the jostling and fighting for position looks a lot better, and the context of what happened is a lot better. Two player headers can result in collisions, and players will act accordingly. That's not just a visual outcome, but we're bringing in mass and strength and jumping and heading and other attributes into the equation to find out what the best possible outcome is and who should win the scenario. That's the key thing we've been doing, and then implementing the trapping system alongside. A lot of this is being driven by customizable team tactics. [Peter] Crouch, for example, needs to nod it down to the guys coming alongside him. All these little elements come together to make a more authentic game.

IGN: Is there any concern that, due to the gameplay changes, the best teams in the game will be impossible to beat with lesser teams?

Aaron: We always look for balance in the game. Q&A tests it, animators and engineers test it, all the permutations of player ability test it. What I think is gonna happen is actually the opposite -- in FIFA 08, when we released it, Barcelona was very powerful. Everyone used Barcelona online and deterred people from using their favorite team if it wasn't Man U or Arsenal. Barcelona has all that guys who can dribble, but what we're doing is focusing on the personality traits of all players. Crouch isn't a lesser player to Eto'o, but a different player. That allows you to tailor your attack and your positioning to fit the personnel you have. Barca can be powerful because they have strong, skilled strikers, but if you adjust accordingly, you can compete against those teams and use those strengths that you and your team have. It's not just based on numbers but a lot of things, including your mental abilities.

IGN: What teams do you think are going to be most helped and most harmed by the new gameplay additions?

Aaron: I think the custom team tactics can be the great leveller. Ben Carter, who's behind the CPU side of custom team tactics, he's a QPR [Queens Park Rangers] fan. He always plays with them and is frustrated when I play as Arsenal, but now that he has these tactics, he can change how his team plays and this team will have an opportunity to play. The worst team won't be better than the best team since the attributes will still be hugely important, but it gives you the ability to overcome somewhat with play and tactics what the raw numbers say. When Barca got all those great players, they were supposed to be unbeatable, but they weren't.

IGN: How does the new trapping system work? How does the system decide how successful a player will be at trapping the ball?

Aaron: We try and make everything attribute-driven. Trapping takes ball control, touch, and other attributes

There is no "touch" attribute in Fifa, should be perhaps but there isn't, not currently at least........

And no idea WTF front end flow is supposed to be, sounds like a woman's time of the month........

I am sure it is gonna feel like the old pes, at the beginning it is gonna feel almost the same as the previous but as you play several games you'll find out how much things have changed.

Probably means end to end football?
No, he's talking about the menu system Lami, "it makes it easier to get into a game". I'm sure Placebo knows this much as well having worked in the field for a long time, but he just couldn't resist a period joke. He loves his period jokes does our Placebo.

No, he's talking about the menu system Lami, "it makes it easier to get into a game". I'm sure Placebo knows this much as well having worked in the field for a long time, but he just couldn't resist a period joke. He loves his period jokes does our Placebo.

Ok. I didn't know what front end flow meant anyway so was just suggesting it may probably be that.

i bet the ps3 exclusive feature will have something to do with Home easier tournaments etc. five a side would be nice using your avatars.

High def Fabregas

173327-Fabregas_Scholes_Tevez.jpg

I actually think its a decent face. Pisses all over Pro Evo's

Agree. He is a lot better, not the Ribery standard though, but at least he looks..better.
But they still need to make those players that are default a lot better or let us edit faces or something..Fifa do look great but so did fifa 08 in my mind as long as the camera didn`t zoom down on the players. The game does look better, I really like the crowd this time around to. But the graphics is not my consern, but rather the gameplay. Its all been mention here what needs to change and it seems like they have been working on those.. I do hope they add something to manager mode and that they do something about the away games. I`m talking about playing on the same away pich on almost every away game as long its not one of the few teams that actually have their own stadium. Dont remember the name of the stadium, but you all know what I am talking about!:brick: I would also like to see the GK stop giving those awfull rebounds and then using ages to get up again to deffend! But over all, a demo sometime in august would give us a better idea on how the game has developed, so I will take my concerns then. Peace!

Ps: Aaron from EA seems to be an arsenal fan so maybe this time around we will get an updated Emirates stadium that looks like it does..For the few of us that actually cares :)

Last edited:

I am sure it is gonna feel like the old pes, at the beginning it is gonna feel almost the same as the previous but as you play several games you'll find out how much things have changed.

That's what the french journalists were saying,FIFA is turning into the good old PES.

Have the fifa boys released the new screenshots yet?

no they just like playing with poeple's emotions:r1

Anonymous said...
I see no pics galore and it's morning now. Don't make promises you can't keep you shitheads.

02 July 2008 02:20

that's a bit much though i'm a little dissapointed but no as hurt this guy.

Last edited:

new interview from IGN

IGN: What teams do you think are going to be most helped and most harmed by the new gameplay additions?

Aaron: I think the custom team tactics can be the great leveller. Ben Carter, who's behind the CPU side of custom team tactics, he's a QPR [Queens Park Rangers] fan. He always plays with them and is frustrated when I play as Arsenal, but now that he has these tactics, he can change how his team plays and this team will have an opportunity to play. The worst team won't be better than the best team since the attributes will still be hugely important, but it gives you the ability to overcome somewhat with play and tactics what the raw numbers say. When Barca got all those great players, they were supposed to be unbeatable, but they weren't.
I'm not sure about this one, we already have weaker teams being too good on the AI side, this could make it even worse...

FIFA 09 on PC now features leading-edge visuals that deliver graphics that exploit the power of hi-spec gaming PCs, as requested by PC gamers. Star players are featured in photorealistic quality with remodeled likenesses for ultra-realistic gameplay. FIFA 09 on PC also features customizable mouse gameplay controls that deliver deeper, more intuitive command over your squad. Plus, customizable widgets are now integrated into the menu system to connect you to the FIFA community and real-world football so you stay connected while playing FIFA 09.

“We are committed to investing and innovating to create a PC specific experience,” said Producer Paul Hossack. “Gamers want a gameplay experience exclusively for PC and FIFA 09 on PC delivers this.”

All the stuff I'm reading sounds great as long as it's all implemented correctly... cant wait :) Still wondering whether they've done anything about attributes in the menus, where u can more easily compare players (pro evo had this perfect)
:applaud: Agree completely, the whole menu system on FIFA is clumsy at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom