FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

So what do we have now? First Fifa pics looking amazing getting footie fans out there in enthusiasm. First PES screenies seen with very mixed feelings. I really wished Konami wouldnt have released that "ingame" shot of 2009. That imo was the pic that ruined the excitment. Close Ups look great though. But I was thinking that with the release of the pics of pes09 they wanted to create a huge positive impact on the fans. But now thats what happenend with the fifa pics. Hope to see more gameplay soon.

My personal opinion is that gampelay-wise Fifa wont be better than Pro Evo BUT there are more things to a good game than gameplay. Sound stupid, but if you have such nice graphics, a great online mode and all of the licences you HAVE the better product out there.

interesting take on it my personal opionion is that pro evo would need some major overhauling to be better than fifa gameplay wise. i would like pro evo to up there game tho nothing better than 2 great footie games out there imho:TU:

after seein all the new screens and reading all the new info we got I must admit that PES will die in 3 months

Can't wait for the game. You really have to give it to EA for actually listening to their consumers. Imagine if Seabass looked over a couple of hundreds of lacking features and bugs that we want him to fix...

Be a pro season mode sounds great, but only 4 seasons? It's not very realistic to go from scrappy player to captain of your national team that quick, as he said in the interview.

Last edited:

Typical EA that they have to give with one hand (Be a pro career mode) whilst they pinch your left testicle using a pair of rusty pliers with the other (4 seasons only).

High def Fabregas

173327-Fabregas_Scholes_Tevez.jpg

I actually think its a decent face. Pisses all over Pro Evo's

Yeah I agree, 80% of goals the ball just comes straight back out again, would be nice to happen on rare occasions for a thunderbolt but not most times.

Oh, and how about the part where Rutter says they are thinking about adding a slider for the player to adjust the game speed. That would be really nice.

Edit: I had missed that there is a new trapping system... thank you EA [-o<

Last edited:

So long, I'm more interested in the gameplay elements than in graphics. Fifa 08 graphics were enough to me, so any improvement is welcome.

As always, my worries are about manual passing and shooting, being able to defend properly, having a solid convincing cpu AI, etc...

About the pes and fifa comparisons, to me there's now a full generation gap between them. I don't mind the graphics, but pes needs a new game engine (not talking about a graphics engine) while fifa 09 needs only adjustments.

Pleased with the tactics options. I've enjoyed A LOT Euro 2008 in offline multiplayer. I only play this mode. It's gorgeous, impressive and recquires a LOT of practice, skill and footy knowledge but at the end I defend quite well and have done really impressive teamplay.

There are still a lot of annoyances here and there, some of them will be fixed (fingers crossed) in 09 and some won't. I'm still waiting for at least 32 movement directions or so, but I know it won't be in the game.

Then there's one thing I really appreciate and makes a huge difference to me. The way EA, since fifa 08, is merchandising the product. The have worked hard in the game, but also in the communications department. The interviews with the producer, the in-depth q&a, and the way they talk about what are they doing to the game and how, and listening to the consumers... that's amazing. Last year that effort really worked well and I began appreciating what FIFA could offer. And at the end, all they were saying was true (95% at least). This year I know I can be confident with the new info, and I can see how they are passionate about the game and about the real sport.

And that's something PES is lacking soooooo much....

I agree with you i'm waiting for more than 8 directions, manual shot, cross and passes improvements and to get rid of the railways, supercancel.
Watching the video i can state that they won't add at least 16 directions to the movement with the ball while off the ball movements are 16 directions.

drekkard said:
Then there's one thing I really appreciate and makes a huge difference to me. The way EA, since fifa 08, is merchandising the product. The have worked hard in the game, but also in the communications department. The interviews with the producer, the in-depth q&a, and the way they talk about what are they doing to the game and how, and listening to the consumers... that's amazing. Last year that effort really worked well and I began appreciating what FIFA could offer. And at the end, all they were saying was true (95% at least). This year I know I can be confident with the new info, and I can see how they are passionate about the game and about the real sport.

And that's something PES is lacking soooooo much.....

Certainly agree. Although they are coming to the table with certain key phrases...hands up all those sick to death of hearing about "250 improvements"....they are backing it up with detailed descriptions of how they have improved many different aspects of the game.

There's not just marketing hype going on here, but genuine and useful information about what has changed, what practical differences we can look out for.

And it is true, many of these things are things that the customer has been asking for, not obscure nonsense that they invented in their head because they think their game is already perfect, like Seabass. And not vague statements like "we have made improvements", or "we think you like what we have done", or "we've added lots of new animations", or "we have removed many of the features so we can bring them back again next year as hyped up new features", but actual descriptions of what has improved.

I'd say "Konami should take note", but frankly, they won't and they deserve to be in the inferior position they now are.

The '250 game play improvements' sounds like the '1000 decisions per second' line we were fed last year. You really have to take some of EA's promotional guff with a pinch of salt.;))

Maybe I'm being harsh because what I've seen so far of FIFA 09 looks impressive (whereas PES 2009 looks totally underwhelming). With a solid game engine and next-gen graphics in place, FIFA is now a generation ahead of PES (as someone quite rightly said earlier). If Konami doesn't step-up quick, PES could become totally irrelevant, in my opinion.

The '250 game play improvements' sounds like the '1000 decisions per second' line we were fed last year. You really have to take some of EA's promotional guff with a pinch of salt.;))

Maybe I'm being harsh because what I've seen so far of FIFA 09 looks impressive (whereas PES 2009 looks totally underwhelming). With a solid game engine and next-gen graphics in place, FIFA is now a generation ahead of PES (as someone quite rightly said earlier). If Konami doesn't step-up quick, PES could become totally irrelevant, in my opinion.

apart from the fact claiming A.I making a 1000 decisions and proving you made 250 changes the 250 changes already seems 100% more realistic and on target as far as I am concerned

Re: FIFA 09

i found another video on youtube nofootag just two french journalists saying what they think of the if someone could please translate the jist of the discussion please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnHmb6FTEg

I'm gonna do my best to try to give you guys the general idea of the video.
First the 2 guys are apparently journalists who have had access to FIFA 09 during several hours and played around 15-20 matches in the month of MAY.
The main idea is that they said they do not care about PES nor FIFA as in they have really no personnal preference to any franchise but all that they aim is to give public the most accurate review on the best football game (and sports game in general).
They basically said that FIFA 09 is an evolution compared to FIFA 08 and not a complete revamp and that it reminded of how PES used to work a few years ago.
They said that responsiveness,goalies,dribbles,shots are better than in FIFA 09 .It's easier to make different pattern of technical skills (like trap with the chest and straight pass which was hard before due to the lack of responsiveness).They loved the new "Be a pro mode" and the also overall quality in terms of contents.
At the end they compared it to PES,they were dissapointed with the lack of informations in Konami's part and they were really pessimistic that there'd be a huge NEEDED overhaul of PES for PS3/XBOX360 since you cannot change things in such a short time.
What surprised them is how confident EA's representatives were on their product and also to give them an early in May while precising that it was far from being the final version of the game really surprised them.
According FIFA 09 (the demo version they played) is THE BEST FOOTBALL game currently and if PES don't pull a miracle off,it won't be the best football game around (for the PS3/XBOX360)

ps: Sorry if my english was poor :CW:

Jamezinho, he's just saying at least they have the opportunity to prove the "250 improvements" by listing them, whereas with the "1000 decisions" line you have no way of knowing if it's true or otherwise. They might as well say "the goalkeeper has the song 'It's Rainin' Men' in his head through each match to help him concentrate".

Brilliant translation Kouroux, your English is excellent.

Last edited:

It wont become irrelevant, well in terms of sales at least. For every die-hard that begrudgingly heads to FIFA they'll be replaced with a rosy-cheeked 12 year old buying their first ever football game and going for the option where they can beat 6 men before smashing the ball into the top corner.

There's a lot of marketing bullshit but hell, at least you are getting some direct communication with the lead guys in the team at this early stage, I mean that's on a different planet to where Konami is at.

We'll be lucky to see Seabass wheeled out like a vegetable with shoes in a dazed, comatose state after the inevitable anti-climax of launch.

Last edited:

I suspect the gap between FIFA and PES will grow bigger this year, with PES falling further behind.

Hey All,

Recently registered here after a few weeks lurking, and am totally excited for Fifa 2009.

With regards to the be a pro mode only lasting 4 seasons, in UEFA Euro 2008 you could undertake the captain your country mode with a newly created player, improve your players skills and after winning the mode, replay it with your players' improvements from the start.

Im not sure if what I said above makes sense but 4 seasons isn't as bad as it seems in that hopefully you can link games of 4 seasons together with a constantly improving character, thus making a fairly persistent be a pro mode.

Anyway, very excited for the new game, thanks for all the updates/translations/links!

Jamezinho, he's just saying at least they have the opportunity to prove the "250 improvements" by listing them, whereas with the "1000 decisions" line you have no way of knowing if it's true or otherwise. They might as well say "the goalkeeper has the song 'It's Rainin' Men' in his head through each match to help him concentrate".

Thank you,I take this compliment very seriously now :-pp

Worry not ,french is a language more difficult to learn than english

Fair point. But 250 improvements seems a lot, though. Lets hope they do list them. Plus we all know how EA like to attach buzz-words to a new game.:TU:

I guess the '1000 decisions was EA's equivalent of Konami's 'Teamvision'.:))

anonymous said:
It wont become irrelevant, well in terms of sales at least. For every die-hard that begrudgingly heads to FIFA they'll be replaced with a rosy-cheeked 12 year old buying their first ever football game and going for the option where they can beat 6 men before smashing the ball into the top corner.

I always thought most kids bought FIFA due to the licensing and ease of gameplay. How things have changed.

i hope that was an error lol, i thought english is more difficult to learn than french

Great news so far from EA, FIFA 09 is really shaping up to be something special, for me, their improving everything that i want. but thats a IF they do implement all the things they say they are properly, the main reason im so excited about this game is unlike Konami when they had PES in its prime they always were a small working team who i guess always seemed happy with little add ons, while EA have a HUGE team of developers and the fact that they have the game already there in FIFA08 and have a whole year to polish it and add the little touches makes me think we'll get a really complete footie game.

the tactics feature is (after thinking about it) going to be really special, i'll probably take hours setting each team differenly to how they actually play. the other thing which has got me excited is the fact they said how attributes have been a major revamp in with strength, speed, agile etc all being improvement, hoping this will finally give FIFA the unique feel to each player. Keep the news coming ! and still the revolutionary feature to be announced:w00t: Cant wait for October!:DANCE:

It sure is....eh Jack? :-pp

Glad to hear that they think FIFA 09 is the best football game. Also wasnt FSB meant to post some new screens tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom