FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

The only thing I don't like about those shots is the referee, generic players/referees always look so poor in FIFA - not just in a "they're unrecognisable" way but in a "they look like cartoons compared to the others" way.

Re: FIFA 09

because you can see the cursor offline... when your playing an opponent.

I for one don't like it either and I doubt it makes that much of a difference to be honest just annoying having another curser it will be like be a pro:applaud:

I see that as a necessary evil, rather than the standard for online.

EA: FIFA 09 will feature exclusive game play mode on PS3.

Speaking to Gamespot, EA Sports has revealed that the PS3 version of FIFA 09 will receive a game mode exclusive which will be fully revealed later on the year. However, the gameplay on both machines will be the same and they indicated not one console is easier to work with, they are just different.

GS AU: Will there be any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game? Which one was easier to work on?

DR: There will not be any differences in the way the game plays on PS3 and Xbox 360. They will be identical playing games. However, PS3 will have a game mode exclusive to that system which we’ll talk about later in the year.

We have an extremely talented group of individuals who work on each platform and there are challenges to overcome on any platform to make sure the people who purchase the game have the best experience possible. So I wouldn’t say that one console is easier to work on I would just say they are diff

Gamespot Australia Interview with FIFA 09 producer David Rutter:

GameSpot AU: First of all, can you confirm whether Australia's A-League is back in the game?

David Rutter: Yes, Australia’s A-League is in FIFA 09. It debuted in FIFA 08 because Australia is an important football nation and one of the hallmarks of our franchise is our authenticity.

GS AU: How many different national leagues/nations have you got planned for this year's game? Any significant additions?

DR: We have 30 leagues and around 40 national teams in the game this year, including the Australian national side which is fully licensed with correct kits, badges and player names.

GS AU: How significant an upgrade is FIFA 09 from last year's game? Can you take us through some of the highlights?

DR: We spent a lot of time reflecting on the community and press feedback from FIFA 08 and we managed to distill it down into 250 key additions and improvements to focus on for FIFA 09. The three biggest areas of game play improvement you’ll see are in responsiveness, physical play and their affect through attributes, plus the AI.

We’ve revamped our animations and animation technology to make sure every gamer-controlled action, including dribbling, running, tackling, heading, passing and shooting, are much more responsive. Physical play and attributes were top of our agenda, too. For example, the team really felt that there wasn’t enough difference between small, pacey players, and large, strong players. This year you’ll need to become more familiar with the individual strengths and weaknesses of the players you have at your disposal and what they are capable of in real life. Fast players can nip in and out of tackles much faster than hulking defenders, but the little guys are much easier to muscle off the ball. Tackles are crunching-–and we can discriminate between planted and trailing legs, so if you contact a player in the right spot he’ll go down or skip out of it authentically. We’ve also put in some mid-air collisions and stumbles that add a fantastic sense of realism.

For intelligence, we’ve massively improved positioning, goalkeeping, reducing the frequency the ball is intercepted in certain situations, through-balls and enabling skilled players to curl passes and crosses. Furthermore, keepers can change their mind mid-dive when they realize they’ve made a mistake.

GS AU: How about new game play additions? Are there any new modes in single-player and multiplayer that you're introducing?

DR: One of the new modes that we are all very excited about is what we are calling Custom Team Tactics. The goal for the feature was to distinguish the teams in our game by making each of them play differently according to how they play in the real world. In the process of building this feature we figured out that this is something that should also be exposed to the gamers so that they can adjust the way that the team plays to suit their own personal style too. We put in a set of "sliders" so that you can tweak and tune the way your team plays as if you were the first-team coach or manager. There are 11 sliders and options in the game, broken down into "Defending" and "Attacking" sliders. Attacking is then broken down further into "Build Up" and "Chance Creation" sliders.

There are roughly 140 attacking and 40 defensive options. One example is to adjust the Defensive Mentality--in a high setting you’ll have nine players pushing into your opposition half trying to cut-out play in much the same way as in the team pushing for a win, desperate to get the ball no matter how vulnerable that leaves you defensively. To counter this, the opposition could play a long, lofted ball over your last man and your striker will probably have 30 yards of space to run into between the last defender and the goalkeeper. The opposite example is low Defensive Mentality. Choosing this option means your defensive line is deep, leaving very little space for the attacking team to play in your half of the pitch. An attacking team is going to be met with a 10 man defense--so they’re going to need to use some pretty inspired quick passing and movement to get near goal.

We have also expanded our popular Be A Pro feature into a career mode. You’ll get the chance to choose or build a football player, control them for four seasons, and grow their abilities using the experience points you gain on the pitch. Hopefully you’ll be good enough to get spotted by your national coach, with the ultimate aim of being your countries captain, and winning the International Cup to become a Legend.

For the first time in Be A Pro we’ll be allowing fans of the mode to play unlocked, so if you fancy a change of position you can still gain experience for your player, whilst playing as another pro. And if your mate pops over they can join in--either playing along side you or trying to spoil your progress as your opponent. We are also going to reveal some additional new features in July and at the Leipzig Games Festival in Germany in August.

GS AU: What about online? Last year you introduced 5-on-5--will we see that again? Or perhaps an improvement on that?

DR: One of the features we are going to be talking more about later this month is Be A Pro: Online Team Play. Check back with me later this month and I’ll be able to discuss our online features in detail.

GS AU: FIFA is obviously EA's sim franchise, with the arcade soccer left to Street. Do you ever worry that the realism in ball physics and tactics will become too much for gamers? How do you balance that realism in FIFA titles while still being a fun game to play?

DR: We spend a lot of time playing the game to make sure the realistic animations, ball physic, intelligence of the players doesn’t take away from the enjoyment of the game. At the end of the day FIFA is a football videogame so we need to make sure we balance off what looks great, feels great, and sounds great with what is fun to play. By focusing on making 250 improvements to core game play this is all about creating a realistic, authentic and playable game but we’ve also added some options to make sure football fans coming to the franchise for the first time will pick up a controller and have a lot of fun.

GS AU: Will there be any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game? Which one was easier to work on?

DR: There will not be any differences in the way the game plays on PS3 and Xbox 360. They will be identical playing games. However, PS3 will have a game mode exclusive to that system which we’ll talk about later in the year.

We have an extremely talented group of individuals who work on each platform and there are challenges to overcome on any platform to make sure the people who purchase the game have the best experience possible. So I wouldn’t say that one console is easier to work on I would just say they are different.

GS AU: David Rutter, thanks for your time.

173322-Benzema02.jpg

Massively improved player models. They look much thinner and more in proportion now. They still have a slight bit of apeness in them but at least its an improvement

Re: FIFA 09

Gotta say the list of improvements sounds impressive. Only a couple of things where I had my doubts about the integrity of his answers:

ummm, sounds like Dave means "no".

Dave quickly changes the subject to improved goal keepers. Sounds like they haven't addressed this at all.

Yes, very good, but do we decide that our player is playing with the outside of his foot, or does the cpu decide on our behalf? The latter, perhaps? I suspect we won't be able to play with the outside of our feet when we want to, but simply when the cpu decides to.

Lots of the other stuff sounds really nice and I reckon FIFA09 will be a great game. However, I still think it will play largely the same. One thing he briefly mentioned was "You can use spin on the ball really beautifully in free kicks". How about giving us control of spin at all times? Sensi Soccer had a fabulous after-touch for dip, swerve and back spin at all times, whenever you wanted. This still isn't in FIFA (or PES). No 360 degree movement? No truly manual passing and shooting?

I like the sound of the improvements (a bigger and more meaningful list then PES ever delivered), but for FIFA2010, we need to get TranceAllstars list out and bombard EA with improvements to the fundamental physics at the heart of the game. The game still sounds to me like it will be essentially cpu driven...you press the button, the cpu decides what happens.

Anyway, well done EA, sounds like you're working hard to make lots of improvements, albeit not the most fundamental ones.

I totally agree with you, it's just what i thought.
I add: i play with manual settings, i read nothing about that.

Why have they toned down the PC versions graphically?
PC shots HERE, wouldn't say they were toned down (I did this morning because I'd forgotten about them, haha, then I found those hi-res shots).

173322-Benzema02.jpg

Massively improved player models. They look much thinner and more in proportion now. They still have a slight bit of apeness in them but at least its an improvement
nice crodws btw

don't seem to interested in watching the match very much...

PC shots HERE, wouldn't say they were toned down (I did this morning because I'd forgotten about them, haha, then I found those hi-res shots).

They look slightly pixelated round the edges and fuzzy for some reason. Look perfect zoomed out but definately not the same as consoles which makes no sense. PC power is surely better than the consoles. The new AMD cards look really good

PC's are for surfing the web not playing games.

Get with the times all those moaning about the PC versions need to get a grip.

LOL no problem, I'm just so happy to have 10mb upload I'm making the most of it!

Jack feel free to poke me on MSN if there's some video that comes out and I'll be sure to mirror it :)

Hay pipe down Cammey lol, PC's own consoles.

One word: Crysis.

It's bollocks having to upgrade every couple of weeks.

It makes me feel like I'm 80 years old and I'm dating a 20 year old lingerie model.

I keep having to fish out cash for 5 mins of pleasure every now and then.

It's bollocks having to upgrade every couple of weeks.

It makes me feel like I'm 80 years old and I'm dating a 20 year old lingerie model.

I keep having to fish out cash for 5 mins of pleasure every now and then.
you clearly are a clueless console fan:LOL: i wont bother saying why. cant be asked to argue with you and your one minded impressions

you clearly are a clueless console fan:LOL: i wont bother saying why. cant be asked to argue with you and your one minded impressions

I'm not fussed what you, or anybody thinks of my opinion.

Consoles are just nice and easy, like council estate single mothers. :DD

Come on lads, every frigging thread has gone off-topic today, if you want to argue about PCs can you go to a PC-modding forum or something?

Eh la, it looks like the game has improved a lot graphically. That picture of Benzema running is just brilliant, the player model is a lot better and the crowd is just... :WORSHIP:

Hopefully they have also focused on fixing the gameplay, can't wait for more news. :DD

Come on lads, every frigging thread has gone off-topic today, if you want to argue about PCs can you go to a PC-modding forum or something?

I think its the Heat JB - Everybody is getting Tetchy.

Eh la, it looks like the game has improved a lot graphically. That picture of Benzema running is just brilliant, the player model is a lot better and the crowd is just... :WORSHIP:
I like the crowd but I notice in the first free-kick shot some of them are celebrating before the ball's even been kicked. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom