FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09

Being able to play your formations online is a huge plus point for me.

I really want something in game though that lets you set up set pieces. So you can position players for corners and freekicks etc. That would be cool.

Any news on new teams or leagues ?? Or if they have proper kits for the likes of Napoli, Cagliari etc etc ?

I'm guessing this stuff won't be confirmed to later in the game. I hope they have more 3rd kits too.

Last year was September 28th wasn't it? Which was a Friday, this year Sep 28th is a Sunday which would be a no go, so makes sense it's moved to the next Friday.......

EA has announced the autumn 2008 release of FIFA 09 for PC, which, after several seasons in which it appeared to be little more than a higher res PS2 game, has been given an overhaul.

"We are committed to investing and innovating to create a PC specific experience," said producer Paul Hossack. "Gamers want a gameplay experience exclusively for PC and FIFA 09 on PC delivers this."

FIFA 09 on PC will feature "leading-edge visuals" that "exploit the power of hi-spec gaming PCs". Star players will be recreated in the game with photorealistic quality and the game will sport ultra-realistic gameplay.

The game will also feature customisable mouse gameplay controls, which promise deeper, more intuitive command over the squad. Customisable widgets will also be integrated into the menu system to connect players to the FIFA community and real-world football so players can stay connected while playing FIFA 09

Gotta say the list of improvements sounds impressive. Only a couple of things where I had my doubts about the integrity of his answers:

Dave Rutter: Sometimes

ummm, sounds like Dave means "no".

OS: What has been done to address back line/defender A.I.? For example it seems they pinch in too far sometimes which allows for wing play to be overly dominant

Dave quickly changes the subject to improved goal keepers. Sounds like they haven't addressed this at all.

OS: Is there a way to kick with the outside of a player's foot?

Dave Rutter: HAH! Yes – we’ve added Finesse shots which allow for some of the most sublime moments in the game. By holding R1/RB your player will take a moment to place with finesse the shot…We’ve made some beautiful videos of some amazing finishing.

Yes, very good, but do we decide that our player is playing with the outside of his foot, or does the cpu decide on our behalf? The latter, perhaps? I suspect we won't be able to play with the outside of our feet when we want to, but simply when the cpu decides to.

Lots of the other stuff sounds really nice and I reckon FIFA09 will be a great game. However, I still think it will play largely the same. One thing he briefly mentioned was "You can use spin on the ball really beautifully in free kicks". How about giving us control of spin at all times? Sensi Soccer had a fabulous after-touch for dip, swerve and back spin at all times, whenever you wanted. This still isn't in FIFA (or PES). No 360 degree movement? No truly manual passing and shooting?

I like the sound of the improvements (a bigger and more meaningful list then PES ever delivered), but for FIFA2010, we need to get TranceAllstars list out and bombard EA with improvements to the fundamental physics at the heart of the game. The game still sounds to me like it will be essentially cpu driven...you press the button, the cpu decides what happens.

Anyway, well done EA, sounds like you're working hard to make lots of improvements, albeit not the most fundamental ones.

As Kevano requested, here is the (locked) FIFA 09 NEWS THREAD.

Worth a quick flick through, there were a couple of bits and pieces I missed such as more in-depth interviews on different sites and the Gary Paterson interview which is actually worth listening to.

New game features include the expansion of the Be A Pro concept into a season-by-season career, while there will also be new moves to learn including rainbow flicks and scoop shots, bringing the total to 32 trick shots.

Console, there are PC version shots in this thread somewhere but I've had a quick look and I couldn't find them at first glance. They're pretty much the same as last year's graphics on PC if I remember rightly, not that great, and certainly not up to the level of the console graphics.

BEFORE I FORGET, there is more than one stadium shot from FIFA 09.

27.jpg

The contrast looks far better on that stadium shot than the other one.

Console, there are PC version shots in this thread somewhere but I've had a quick look and I couldn't find them at first glance. They're pretty much the same as last year's graphics on PC if I remember rightly, not that great, and certainly not up to the level of the console graphics.

So what are EA on about here?

FIFA 09 on PC now features leading-edge visuals that deliver graphics that exploit the power of hi-spec gaming PCs, as requested by PC gamers. Star players are featured in photorealistic quality with remodeled likenesses for ultra-realistic gameplay. FIFA 09 on PC also features customizable mouse gameplay controls that deliver deeper, more intuitive command over your squad. Plus, customizable widgets are now integrated into the menu system to connect you to the FIFA community and real-world football so you stay connected while playing FIFA 09.

“We are committed to investing and innovating to create a PC specific experience,” said Producer Paul Hossack. “Gamers want a gameplay experience exclusively for PC and FIFA 09 on PC delivers this.”

Re: FIFA 09 Discussion Thread

They wouldn't say "they're the same as last year" would they? ;)

There are PC shots somewhere in the thread, I can't find them for the life of me though.

My memory's terrible but I thought shots were released of the PC version - there was one where people thought there was a linesman in the background and it was actually a player in shadow - and they weren't that much improved from the previous PC graphics? Although saying that people were arguing that they were console graphics when they weren't, so to confuse them with the next-gen graphics I suppose they must have been improved.

In other words, ignore me. :lol:

there's not much on release dates or spec requirements at the moment but here some fo the images that have been posted and the info that we know so far hope it helps:BYE:
UPM102.fifa.pc1--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

UPM102.fifa.pc3--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

UPM102.fifa.pc2--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

The british print magazine GamesMaster collected some nice facts about the PC version of FIFA 09 from EA Sports. We summarized all those information for you including three new pictures:

:: Graphics ::

The PC-version of FIFA 09 is developed by the same team as the PS2-version

The graphics are bases on the same, well known technology, but were severally reworked in some parts for the FIFA 09 edition. The alert eye will become apparent more realistic player models and kits with a better shade and texture resolution, player faces seem even nicer by the way.

The stadiums and the environment around the field looks disappointing and was not improved. The crowds remain a pathetic bunch of blurry two dimensional pixels, as well as the photographers around the field, they look like they were made of paperboard instead as real humans.

:: Gameplay ::

New features on the gameplay: Beside of a Gamepad/Controller you can now use the keyboard together with the mouse for more direct and fully free passing. In general and compared to FIFA 08 there were only slight gameplay changes.

Result:

Better player models and nicer grass bring a little “NextGen” flair to the PC version, but even this measures cannot spoofs an graphic engine from the technological stone age. The undetailed and boring looking crowds in the stadium and the two dimensional photographers around the field disturb the new look. The most important aspect of a football simulation, the gameplay, was only a little improved, but the more realistic gameplay is only available on consoles.

there you go

My memory's terrible but I thought shots were released of the PC version - there was one where people thought there was a linesman in the background and it was actually a player in shadow - and they weren't that much improved from the previous PC graphics? Although saying that people were arguing that they were console graphics when they weren't, so to confuse them with the next-gen graphics I suppose they must have been improved.

In other words, ignore me. :lol:

FIFA 08 PC Graphics = PS2 like if not worse

FIFA 09 = Alot closer to the 360/Ps3 version a 100% improvement on what has been seen before :) however like I said the gameplay engine is still the same so imagine fifa road to world cup that was on the 360 fancy graphics but horrible gameplay :)

And thats FIFA 09 on the PC for you

Hi-Res PC Shots:

UPM102.fifa.pc1--screenshot.jpg

UPM102.fifa.pc2--screenshot.jpg

UPM102.fifa.pc3--screenshot.jpg

They are a lot better, beg your pardon. Still not the same as the console graphics but a lot better.

“We are committed to investing and innovating to create a PC specific experience,” said Producer Paul Hossack. “Gamers want a gameplay experience exclusively for PC and FIFA 09 on PC delivers this.”

Haha. Poor old PC players. Where did EA get the idea PC gamers want an "exclusive" gameplay experience?

Since when was exclusive a synonym for substandard?

Haha. Poor old PC players. Where did EA get the idea PC gamers want an "exclusive" gameplay experience?

Since when was exclusive a synonym for substandard?
I don't know so much, PES on the Wii is the best PES out of the lot because of the way you can move people about the pitch. It beats the living shite out of the PS3/360 version. I wouldn't rate it more highly than FIFA 08 but it is a genuine alternative.

Put it like this, every year I would only buy the 360 version of FIFA, but now I might get the PC version too. They are different games, but this year, in a meaningful way ("different" as in different features, not "different" as in one is absolutely crap with an antique engine / one is far superior in every way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom