FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

i just finnished whacthing the new videos...
WOW , is it me or did they change the nets animations from leipzig???
also, seems we wont have empt stands from far view like inUCL...and one last thing is that the stadiums look more well done when it comes to size..as in previous version the field seems a bit to big, and evan in english stadiums the stadns felt far way from the picth, which in this version is clear solved. you can see the fans are right behind the goal.

How about a be a ref mode?! You could be the next Graham Poll, trying to remember who you've booked, making strange decisions and then doing your hair before speaking to the media. Fifa already includes the back page of the newspaper in it's manager mode, he'd have loved to be on that!

I'm liking these new videos. It looks like the crowd are closer which would be brilliant but I think it just looks like it becuase of the view. If you watch when the ball goes out for throw ins and stuff you can see behind the ad boards theres quite a big gap between the ads and the fans. I hope they're closer because it would improve the atmosphere of the game a whole lot. It was weird in 07 and CL when you couldn't see the crowd.

2 other worrying things. Firstly was the rubbish defending to give to ball away for the cross to Ballack's goal. Poor AI maybe? Second was the crowd didnt even move when Ballack scored.

Last edited:

My wife was at GCA today for work reasons, she had a look around for me, EA are there and showing Fifa off with people able to play it, Konami are there but only showing Wii games they tossers :(

So I'm gonna go tomorrow and have a play of Fifa08 at least :)

Will the football league sides play with the ball displayed in Jack's avatar? I hate playing having with the star ball.

A little better than Fifa? Maybe a little better than Fifa current gen but they're not even close to Fifa next gen.
I actually have to disagree with you there mate, the faces and the models are superb IMO. The animation looks great as well, apart from the facial animation which I think is quite poor. As someone said earlier, the graphics in PES2008 look great close-up and poor far-away, and it's the other way around in FIFA 08 (to me). Great from a distance, not as good as PES2008 close-up.

By the way, if you do get the chance to play FIFA 08, play Sheffield Wednesday v Tranmere Rovers. Would be nice to hear some lower-league comments rather than Chelsea v Man Utd. ;)

Will the football league sides play with the ball displayed in Jack's avatar? I hate playing having with the star ball.
You'd think they'd have it licensed by now but I doubt it unfortunately. I was looking at the FIFA gamerpics you can have on Xbox Live before, and one of them is that shitty EA star ball - I thought, oh my God, who is going to have that shitty thing as their gamerpic??

Last edited:

I agree with Noted, I've always thought it a shame that games push the crowd back away from the pitch. That maybe the way things are in other countries, but in the UK we're used to being close to the action, and seeing the fans celebrate as you score, not having a running track or 3 rows of adboards between them and the pitch! I also don't understand why the games don't have real ads on the boards? With broadband etc, they could have them updated in real time like webpage banners? I'm not saying I want annoying ads while playing, but I hate pes having "Konami" everywhere, it's a little thing but it ruins the overall realism the game is trying to create.

The Barclays adboard is good in FIFA. Hopefully they will have the spinny eagle thing for the electronic boards.

....I also don't understand why the games don't have real ads on the boards? With broadband etc, they could have them updated in real time like webpage banners? ....

They used the exact same idea for Splinter Cell Double Agent.

In the online MP games there were adverts around the maps and every so often they would update the game with new ads.

Heres a question - do Konami/EA have to pay say KFC to put the ads in the game?

It would seem a bit backwards to me that they would - you pay them to give them advertising? - so if they don't why the frig do konami not license the boards out and get some cash flowing in.

Nothing kills the moment as much as seeing your scorer run over to the running track and leap over a Konami board and stand in front of a huge banner saying 'Big Kick' or 'Go for Goal' or 'who ate all the pies?'

The be a pro videos looks very nice. The player don't seem to be fixed to 8 directions anymore and it seems to flow better. I LOVE the gears of war style shaky close camera as well.

bring on the demo

i think the pes screens look alright.

I wouldnt say cartoon like - Though they do have a plastic look to them

hahahaha you must be joking right? looks same cartoony shit to me.

yeh cartoony, thats right, how could i miss that, if u read my post i said im not trying to start anything, that was my opinion, respect it if u want yours to respected:D

They used the exact same idea for Splinter Cell Double Agent.

In the online MP games there were adverts around the maps and every so often they would update the game with new ads.

They did it in Rainbow 6 as well

I remember seeing a Hostel 2 and Spiderman 3 poster

oh and i saw a Royal Navy one as well

yeh cartoony, thats right, how could i miss that, if u read my post i said im not trying to start anything, that was my opinion, respect it if u want yours to respected:D
Dude... was also stating my opinion about what you just said.

I actually have to disagree with you there mate, the faces and the models are superb IMO. The animation looks great as well, apart from the facial animation which I think is quite poor. As someone said earlier, the graphics in PES2008 look great close-up and poor far-away, and it's the other way around in FIFA 08 (to me). Great from a distance, not as good as PES2008 close-up.

PES looks great close up? Are you serious? Look at this pic:

Looks at the areas I circled, presumably the Newcastle player is Owen right? the skin colour on his arms, looks like it's 8bit or something, textures are horrible, there's no muscle tone or definition in the arm, his thigh/knee look like he's recovering from a burn injury, thigh is darker pink than the knee, very little definition in the model of the knee.

Not sure who the spurs no 7 is, can't be arsed to google who it should be ;) look at the back of his left hand, almost no detail, no bones, no tendons, no veins. Look at his face, it looks like a 2d face, PES' player likenesses may be closer than Fifa but Fifa's faces look like they're actually modelled, PES' faces look like 2d images merged over the mesh of a head.

Compare with this Fifa one,

Look at the hands and knees and arms, tendons, veins, skin tone, all modelled in a much more artistically next gen way than PES (IMO). Also look at the shirts, much more detailing on the Fifa shirts than the PES ones.

By the way, if you do get the chance to play FIFA 08, play Sheffield Wednesday v Tranmere Rovers. Would be nice to hear some lower-league comments rather than Chelsea v Man Utd. ;)

Well I don't know what leagues will be in the version we can play but certainly if Sheff Wednesday are in there I'll try it, not really got any means to record it sadly but I'll try to get some shots/footage with my phone at least, just seeing Wednesday/Tranmere in motion will be something for us less fortunate ones who support teams outside the Prem ;)

Yeah, but with FIFA, close up, you seen the player models in more detail...and that's not a good thing.

And you won't see veins unless you're really, really, really close on a real person either...

The lighting on both are at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum as well, PES is way too bright, FIFA is way too dark/dull.

EA need to sort out body shapes and sizes. They never seem to get it right where as Pro Evo's models looks reasonable.

Yes, but then I despise the animations of PES as far as the running style is concerned.

Even on the latest vids of PES 2008 - they still run like they're tring to back-heel themselves in the arse.

Only Michael Owen runs like that (i.e like a girl!).

some of u guys need to get a life i mean come on ur more worried about bones and veins rather than good gameplay.

Who's worried about it? We're debating a specific point, which character model looks better, if you're incapable of partaking in such a discussion feel free to bugger off :)

Fifa images tend to be touched up quite a bit too. I'm not sure the 360 version even has anti-aliasing does it? Certainly didn't look like it from the 07 demo

hahahaha you must be joking right? looks same cartoony shit to me.

Dj, I agree with most of your posts mate, But I really do not see the cartoony graphics in these new screens.

I actually think they look 5x better than pro evo shits(6).

I honestly think EVERY hardcore footy fan should purchase both games.

They are two completely different games, But I'll bet both are a class above last years efforts.

Back
Top Bottom