FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

the ballack header in the video really looks great, especially the net :)

the only thing is that the crowd reacts more like it would in a tennis match, they should jump around like crazy

I also must say,A very good resemblance to Craig Gordon in the pes pics.

First time I've seen a Scottish player look realistic,lol.

Scotland seem to be licensed as well.

Sorry for the slight off-topic guys.

Last edited:

Sorry if I missed this, but did those of you that have played the demo/going to play it at any of these shows see if the demo contained the option to try be a pro mode too? i doubt it, but it'd be nice to try that as well as a regular match if the demo ever gets uploaded to Live/PSN.

the ballack header in the video really looks great, especially the net :)

the only thing is that the crowd reacts more like it would in a tennis match, they should jump around like crazy

Perhaps that's the away end? (i.e not pleased that Chelski scored)

I love how where Drogba hits the bar with a header, Martin Tyler yells "DROGBA!!" as soon as he heads the ball. No delay or anything. Thats class.

Those PES shots look superb, yes its got faults but so has any other video game graphics. I love FIFA graphics but from those pics the close up views are better on PEs but the most important one in the far away view is won by FIFA.

Its great that the closer we get to the games release the more things seem to improve on both.

i agree the pes screen looks great and all..but i do feel fifa gfx, evan from close up, more organic. its just a feeling i get...pes models remeber me a lot of the ps2 model , but in HD.

Seriously you are having a fuckin laugh with this post!

You pick a picture showing an amazing likeness of Michael Owen and say "presumably" that's Michael Owen. You completely slag it off!

You then , for the love of god why, decide to compare this to a picture of a Proboscis Monkey wearing a Liverpool shirt and expect us not to laugh!

PES may not be perfect, but to compare it to trash like that is scandelous!

PES looks great close up? Are you serious? Look at this pic:

Looks at the areas I circled, presumably the Newcastle player is Owen right? the skin colour on his arms, looks like it's 8bit or something, textures are horrible, there's no muscle tone or definition in the arm, his thigh/knee look like he's recovering from a burn injury, thigh is darker pink than the knee, very little definition in the model of the knee.

Not sure who the spurs no 7 is, can't be arsed to google who it should be ;) look at the back of his left hand, almost no detail, no bones, no tendons, no veins. Look at his face, it looks like a 2d face, PES' player likenesses may be closer than Fifa but Fifa's faces look like they're actually modelled, PES' faces look like 2d images merged over the mesh of a head.

Compare with this Fifa one,

Look at the hands and knees and arms, tendons, veins, skin tone, all modelled in a much more artistically next gen way than PES (IMO). Also look at the shirts, much more detailing on the Fifa shirts than the PES ones

Seriously you are having a fuckin laugh with this post!

You pick a picture showing an amazing likeness of Michael Owen and say "presumably" that's Michael Owen. You completely slag it off!

You then , for the love of god why, decide to compare this to a picture of a Proboscis Monkey wearing a Liverpool shirt and expect us not to laugh!

PES may not be perfect, but to compare it to trash like that is scandelous!

Nick, mate, you can't say it's an amazing likeness. I agree that it looks like him, but it's not like looking at a photo or anything.

His nose is wrong, the hair too, and his mouth.

And also, Placebo's points about the skin tones/detail are valid whatever your bias for PES2008 may be.

I have yet to see one player likeness done badley in PES2008.

I promised I wouldn't post in this thread again until I'd atleast played the demo, but Placebo's comparison really pissed me off.

I really appreciate what Konami have done with player faces this year, especially with Owen, Tevez and as you said, Craig Gordan. To slag this off whilst praising disgusting pictures of what's supposed to be Steven Gerrard in FIFA, I'm sorry but some people's stupidity gets to me.

if pes player models lack detail than fifa ones have way too much contrast and are overdone in a certainly not nice way.

what's looking more cartooney? fifa for sure, that's what i can say. pes player models are lightyears ahead, everybody who doubts this is just totally blind in my opinion.

Nick, mate, you can't say it's an amazing likeness. I agree that it looks like him, but it's not like looking at a photo or anything.

His nose is wrong, the hair too, and his mouth.

And also, Placebo's points about the skin tones/detail are valid whatever your bias for PES2008 may be.

Bias? Does anyone read my comments about how I think the PES2008 crowd looks like complete shit compared to that of FIFA 08? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Bias? Does anyone read my comments about how I think the PES2008 crowd looks like complete shit compared to that of FIFA 08? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I'm kinda referring to your avatar!

Anyway, don't get so wound up please!

if pes player models lack detail than fifa ones have way too much contrast and are overdone in a certainly not nice way.

what's looking more cartooney? fifa for sure, that's what i can say. pes player models are lightyears ahead, everybody who doubts this is just totally blind in my opinion.

Nah, I have to say FIFA gets lighting and textures spot-on, Konami should try to emulate this.

If anyone starts saying these player models and faces look better than PES they'll have me on their backs. Same goes to anyone who reckons the crowds in PES aren't complete toss.

@ Placebo :

Just look to the faces of Fifa and then PES. The faces are much more realistic than the Fifa faces.

Everybody who says that the Fifa faces or player bodys are better than in PES have no idea:roll:

Nah, I have to say FIFA gets lighting and textures spot-on, Konami should try to emulate this.

If anyone starts saying these player models and faces look better than PES they'll have me on their backs. Same goes to anyone who reckons the crowds in PES aren't complete toss.

not saying fifa DOESN'T have advantages in certain departments of their graphical style, i love the surrounding and lightning of the stadiums, yes, the texture DETAIL on the player bodys is for sure better than in pes, but the more "athletic" (how the normal player looks like" and more realistic look to them is surely on konami's side.

like to see body textures by ea combined with konami models.

not talking about faces cause i guess we all agree who for sure is the winner here.

FIFA's faces are better in-terms of lighting and textures, the skin texture on faces and sweat is bang on.

But the shapes of the faces, the expressions, they're just alien, EA need to redo faces and body models from scratch!

So everyone has to agree with you??

Its about opinion Nick, just because its different to yours does not mean its wrong.

I totally agree that the player models look great in PES, but not from a distance, FIFA scores (FOR ME) here and the crowd looks far superior to PES.However,why do we feel the need to keep making comparisons, they both have strengths and weaknesses because they are completely different games IMO sharing the same sport.

look past the failings from both and concentrate on the things they are doing well.

not saying fifa DOESN'T have advantages in certain departments of their graphical style, i love the surrounding and lightning of the stadiums, yes, the texture DETAIL on the player bodys is for sure better than in pes, but the more "athletic" (how the normal player looks like" and more realistic look to them is surely on konami's side.

like to see body textures by ea combined with konami models.not talking about faces cause i guess we all agree who for sure is the winner here.

Its never going to happen though is it, just like the gameplay and overall graphics, thats why its best to not compare them because each has its own strong points.

dont know if u guys have seen that: (it was posted by an spaniish EA forum admim last monday, before the pc demo realise):

The FIFA Demo season will shortly be upon us as I’m sure everyone is seeing on their FIFA Forums. There have been some incorrect dates mentioned on some forums so I want to give the very latest on all the demos. If you could use these dates on any forums please that would help a lot. Please pass on the dates to the moderators so we can make sure the misinformation isn’t perpetuated.

PC
The demo is likely to be released this week. It’s been approved so we’re just waiting to get this released into largedownloads. I’ll also place it onto the community sharepoint.

PS2
This demo is being released using different strategies per territory so for an accurate release date please speak to your local Territory Manager

PS3/360
These demos were submitted to first-party testing yesterday so are at least two weeks from release unless something exceptional happens.

P.s: At least now we know the demo is at MS and sony´s hands.
just need to wait a bit now...as its been almost 2 weeks already..i would guess monday...(i think that was the date noted bet?) if so, damn ill need to paypal him his 40 quid. :(

Fifa crowds look good because they blur them out to such a degree that you can't notice a lack of detail on them.

Will somebody please upload this videos again using Windows media player. I am unable to view them. I am getting the following error:

"Wrong Link
Seems to be that the link were given to you from another computer."

Thanks!

yep craig gordon looks spot on. Great gk was superb when he was on loan at Cowden. Best keeper ive seen in a cowden shirt.

Jings, Was that a few years ago Cowden???

I honestly can't remember him leaving Hearts.

:shock:

Last edited:

Well if we don't pick fault in these games then they'll never improve.

Agree Nick, but they are improving IMO, just not quick enough for some.

Its just dissapointing to see peeps absolutely rip a game apart because its not quite right graphically or the AI is not quite there.

I think expectations are waaaay to high in this new generation and thus there are plenty of dissapointments to be had, if we think that new hardware means we will magically have amazing new, innovative games, then think again.

It took a good 3 years for Konami to hit on PES with version3 and FIFA never really got anywhere near it until 07.

So 2 years in and Konami's first attempt and FIFA's ( 2nd proper next gen) attempt are bloody good efforts IMO, faults and all.

But +ve & -ve feedback should be done in a mature and constructive manner for improvements not threads bitching.

Jings, Was that a few years ago Cowden???

I honestly can't remember him leaving Hearts.

:shock:

Aye it was when Levein was in charge of cowden. He spent 3 months on loan at us (was initially supposed to be a year but he was called back early).

Link - Its mentioned in his profile.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom