FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

No worries MJP. It's nice to be able to chat about something while we wait for this bleeding demo.

Ernestito, I don't have a PS3, sorry.

Also just to mention, ive figured out the problem with the net physics in 07 and CL.

If you notice there is a line right through the middle of the netting at the back, that just sticks out, this is because they have been trying to make a ripple effect and completley ballsed it up.

My only guess is that they could not get it right, therefore on the 11th hour decided to do the best they could with it.

I really hope the bug in the netting has been fixed and that the net reaction is a lot more slack and springy.

It looks as if they have done a decent enough job this time around though, there is definete change of shape/style of net from this version and last years model.

Oh, no, just realised that the stupid thing where the defenders are the first players to congratulate the scorer is still in!

How the hell could Carvalho be the first to be there to Ballack?

@ Jack B

You have kept pretty quiet on the gameply vids, what's your overall opinion matey??
As people know I am a very negative person - with me the glass is half empty, and the glass has a little crack in it, and the water has bits of fluff in it. So I always notice the bad things before the good things, but I'm like this because otherwise my hopes are raised way too high and I can only be disappointed.

I'm loving the gameplay videos and after hammering the UEFA CL demo I'm really looking forward to the game. But I do notice some things that make me worry a bit.

+ I love the flow of the game (something the contact I have told me was great about PES - oh the irony). The passing looks fantastic, easily the most realistic I've ever seen, and the shots look perfect, as do the headers.

- But, for example, the headed goal from Ballack looks amazing, but his own player is right in-front of him in a very awkward position. It makes me wonder if he would be able to execute such a perfect header in that situation.

+ The tricks look great, according to CW they're pretty "natural" and you can pull off whatever you want.

- But I also noticed Ballack doing a little trick, which made me think "he wouldn't do that" - I'm not one of these people who finds that disgustingly unrealistic, if you're controlling the guy and you want to do a trick then I don't see why you can't, but it did look a bit silly, IMO.

- And with EA talking about making the animations longer and the reaction times slower, it makes you wonder how dribbling is going to be possible. The news about the management mode being a bit flakey is disappointing as well...

+ ...but the good thing is that FIFA 08 has so many modes - manager, online friend leagues, the Online League versus the rest of the world, Be A Pro, etc. - that this doesn't mean disaster.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and judge PES and FIFA on the demos (which not enough people do IMO, so many people offer their blind faith to a games company and I find it mental - my brother-in-law pre-ordered PES2008 a while ago, knowing absolutely nothing about the game, for all he knows it could be ten times worse with one league and one stadium). I completely dislike PES at this moment in time, whenever I'm forced to play it I quit within minutes because it feels so old-fashioned compared to FIFA. But this is a new year and a new version - and I realise that in PES the reaction times allow you to pull off dribbles and feints, if you're experienced enough to do so (I've played the game for years but I know 90% of this forum would beat me because I've never bothered with dribbling, feinting and all that).

I've never had a problem with FIFA's reaction times because I don't dribble, but I worry for the people who do, and I worry about the online exploits that FIFA/UEFA had last year.

I'm intensely looking forward to the game though, and I am desperate for the demo.

Last edited:

How do you know that mate? It's sounds fantastic!

If you look at various video's you can see that there are different nets.In an australian game you can see a red and black striped net,in another (I think Chelsea)game you can see the nets are sort of octagon shaped (like italian league) and in the early mexican vid you can see the nets are all black.

I suspect the physics are pretty much the same but its a nice touch.

As people know I am a very negative person - with me the glass is half empty, and the glass has a little crack in it, and the water has bits of fluff in it. So I always notice the bad things before the good things, but I'm like this because otherwise my hopes are raised way too high and I can only be disappointed.

I'm loving the gameplay videos and after hammering the UEFA CL demo I'm really looking forward to the game. But I do notice some things that make me worry a bit.

+ I love the flow of the game (something the contact I have told me was great about PES - oh the irony). The passing looks fantastic, easily the most realistic I've ever seen, and the shots look perfect, as do the headers.

- But, for example, the headed goal from Ballack looks amazing, but his own player is right in-front of him in a very awkward position. It makes me wonder if he would be able to execute such a perfect header in that situation.

+ The tricks look great, according to CW they're pretty "natural" and you can pull off whatever you want.

- But I also noticed Ballack doing a little trick, which made me think "he wouldn't do that" - I'm not one of these people who finds that disgustingly unrealistic, if you're controlling the guy and you want to do a trick then I don't see why you can't, but it did look a bit silly, IMO.

- And with EA talking about making the animations longer and the reaction times slower, it makes you wonder how dribbling is going to be possible. The news about the management mode being a bit flakey is disappointing as well...

+ ...but the good thing is that FIFA 08 has so many modes - manager, online friend leagues, the Online League versus the rest of the world, Be A Pro, etc. - that this doesn't mean disaster.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and judge PES and FIFA on the demos. I completely dislike PES at this moment in time, whenever I'm forced to play it I quit within minutes because it feels so old-fashioned compared to FIFA. But this is a new year and a new version - and I realise that in PES the reaction times allow you to pull off dribbles and feints, if you're experienced enough to do so (I've played the game for years but I know 90% of this forum would beat me because I've never bothered with dribbling, feinting and all that).

I've never had a problem with FIFA's reaction times because I don't dribble, but I worry for the people who do, and I worry about the online exploits that FIFA/UEFA had last year.

I'm intensely looking forward to the game though, and I am desperate for the demo.

The Demo's are the impotant bit, no doubt.

I beleive this year they will be equal in quality as an overall game but will have obvious preferance's with the pace and response.

Its a difficult one this as FIFA has the pace but not the response, its just such a tight call this year which suggests FIFA has come on leaps and bounds but PES is still chugging along albeit fast enough (if you get me)

The skills are always going to be an issue, offline I will not use the unrealistic players pull off rainbows etc, I wanna play it like football, however online is a different issue.

If you have organised MP leagues with people who want to play the game like it should be then there is no issue, but the majority of peeps will be tricking thier way to oblivion IMO and thats why from a casual point of view PEs maybe the game to attack online.

There is alot to be said for detail Jack, ie fluffy water, cracks in glasses and its good to analyse the +ve and -ve but you may just be a little too critical of both.

Things that happen in a videogame are not going to be represenatative of real life, like players taking up exceptional positions, its too complex IMO to code.If they have produced a better game and overall experience than 07 and UCL we are going to be in for a treat, even if sometimes the AI looks and feels a bit off now and again.

Well guys no demo today i would guess.. but i think it could be very close...as the NBA live 08 demo is out..and its realise date is set for octo 2nd...after fifa in europe...which mean fifa demo could be out any time soon (i hope)

The next demos to be up on live I would imagine WOULD BE Fifa 08 and NHL 2k8 But who knows it could be the new livearcade game "who cares i'm 8 bit you're not" or a demo of call of duty 5:Aided Assist

If the demo isn't out by end of next week, then it's no good for me as I'll be away until the game is released. It's the same every year, I get excited to see vids of the new footy games, then expect a demo straight away and when it doesn't arrive, I feel a bit lost until it does or the game is released. I'm trying hard to expect a good but not brilliant fifa even though the clips are so promising, as one things they've never mastered are the keepers. They either fully save a shot or not, no random deflections off the arm or leg like in pes, and they don't close down strikers/claim the ball on crosses as well as I would hope. If they spent a year sorting out the keepers then that'd be enough for me.

Here's a question, can you play in goal for "be a pro" mode? That could be a bit dull, but at least you could make better decisions, and it'd be like a management game with you only influencing the match in the position where it is weakest anyway.

Back
Top Bottom