FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Well guess I will definately be buying this end of the month dunno what for though, PS3 or XBOX, might go for the PS3 :D Get Halo 3 for 360, ooh thats gonna be a good week!

Hope its better than the past Fifas, didnt really like Fifa 07 at all, never played UCL so cant comment, well besides the demo, which also cant comment didnt play enough! Heres hoping this is a game I will like :D Those new pics shown in the thread didnt look too good though in my opinion :S And the two players running off to the sideline garhhh!

Probs be fixed though!

So for next gen, for the be a pro do you make your own player? Also in the season mode you play as the team right and then you can get sacked and sign for other teams correct, as thats how I remembered the Fifa 07 on PS2!

Also about the shooting im not totally convinced about what they are shooting, sounds over the top to me, and infact off course from real shooting rather than more realistic!

a lil off topic.. but the NHL 08 demo just dropped and it's the best demo yet! I have never played a demo this much.. it's the best next gen sports game yet.. and it's only the demo. I have never seen an improvement this much in 1 year in a sports video game ever. I will for once give major props to EA and hope they can do something similar with FIFA 08!

Man ive just read the updated FAQ on the ea forum and the manager mode is SO disapointing for next-gen, I mean no ability to set up friendly or training session,your not able to see other league results in manager mode,no proper league structure for eredivise,SPL,MLS,and the championship/league1/league2 playoff structure.only 15 season on manager mode,I mean its a next-gen game and steir still lacking in those type of thing even they have full liscences,I mean cmon EA,I really hope that the gameplay is topnotch like it look like because if not Ill definaly not trying for 09

It's really not any big surprise though that next gen manager mode is somewhat rudimentary, yes it's a bit of a pisser but it's still going to be highly enjoyable enough for me......

Man ive just read the updated FAQ on the ea forum and the manager mode is SO disapointing for next-gen, I mean no ability to set up friendly or training session,your not able to see other league results in manager mode,no proper league structure for eredivise,SPL,MLS,and the championship/league1/league2 playoff structure.only 15 season on manager mode,I mean its a next-gen game and steir still lacking in those type of thing even they have full liscences,I mean cmon EA,I really hope that the gameplay is topnotch like it look like because if not Ill definaly not trying for 09
please explain in more detail. so manager mode isnt quite there yet in terms of realsim

It's means that manager mode will have the basic elements:

Promotion/relegation (for applicable leagues such as the English ones)

Cup tournaments (for applicable leagues such as the English ones)

Qualifying for Europe and playing in the tournament the following season (won't be called UEFA cup/ UEFA Champions league for obvious reasons but it's essentially the correct format and rules for qualifying).

Job movement (at end of season if you choose)

You can be sacked if you suck (not sure if you can then take another job after that as I was never sacked on PS2 manager mode).

Respond to the press through memos and interviews, basically you're asked a question or a comment is made and you chose one of 4 responses, get it right and you look to be supporting your players or chairman or whatever so morale/job safety goes up, get it wrong and job safety/morale goes down.

Transfer market, buy/sell/loan players and the AI controlled teams will do likewise.

MLS/Aussie/Scottish/Dutch leagues will not have the correct format.

Dynamic Boardroom expectations (the chairman will set you goals you must achieve such as win promotion, don't be relegated etc that will change halfway through the season depending on your progress).

Presumably players will develop when they're young, get worse as they get older.

May or may not including scouting and youth academy (both in 07 PS2, former only was in 07 360).

Basically some of the nice little subtleties we would hope manager mode to include aren't included, such as being able to see results/standings of all the other leagues, have pre-season friendlies, proper amount of time for doing transfers, players falling out and getting in a strop etc.

Fact remains it still pisses from a great height on PES' excuse of a "career" mode, I wish Fifa08's manager mode had more but it'll do for now.

Totally agree with your sentiments Placebo.

Don't forget too the staff upgrades, scouting and reasonably detailed player performance analysis over the season and within 1 game.

(PS - when i was sacked (intentionally just to see what happened obviously ;-p) I wasn't given the chance to go anywhere else).

Doh you're right I forgot about Staff upgrades (and stadium of course)

Nice to see man of the match, team of the season will also be in there, pretty sure team of the season is actually something new, yay! Hope it's an actual team made up of the best players per position overall, rather than "team of the season is Manchester Utd".......

Thanks ^^Snoop^^ - like the idea of being able to shout "shoot" to your team-mates which I hadn't read before now.

I wonder what happens if you get your player sent off?

Also, does anyone remember Gary Linekers football game on the Amiga or C64? That had you playing as only one player too, but not with a zoomed up camera. It was a really good game - you could really score some great goals.

so scottish and dutch leagues are not the correct format. Do you mean that although they have the correct teams we don't get the all national cups?

The only two games I remember playing as one player ... One was called "I Play Football" or something, and it was crap. The second was on the Atari ST I think, and you had to do training. Depending how well you did, you could be picked for the first team. Quality game if I remember rightly.

I think if EA stick with Be A Pro, it could turn out to be excellent. The Superstar mode on Madden is pretty good and I'd be happy with the same model used in FIFA.

gamespot also has new vids of be a pro mode. looks ace. glad to see the stadiums are as close to the pitch as they are in real life now

here's the link for the lazy peeps out there:

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/938663/6178271/fifa-soccer-08-gameplay-movie-3

Looks great - watching the general game too keeps my hopes up - looks a lot smoother than 07 and UEFA CL.

At ^^Snoop^^ - you must be too young to remember Gary Lineker's game then ;-p

The only Lineker game I had on C64 was "Gary Lineker's Hotshots" which was like Kick off. I don't remember that having the option to play as one player though? I remember it fondly, even though I was jealous of my mate who had a game with Gazza in it and REAL NAMES! That blew me away!

Remember Manchester United Europe?! I LOVED that game! Now THAT had a floaty ball! :p Used to enjoy two-player games and one of us being the keeper, fun times :) Though it didn't please me to be playing a game containing Manchester United :)

Sorry off topic, but I had this...

http://s64.emuunlim.com/reviews/garylinekerhotshot.htm

was it either of these mjp?

http://s64.emuunlim.com/reviews/garylinekerssuperstarsoccer.htm
http://s64.emuunlim.com/reviews/garylinekerssuperskills.htm

Snoop, that was when Les Sealey was in goal and they had the watermelon goalkeeper kit! My mate had it on the Amiga, class!

I take it there's no FIFA demo on PSN today then? I'll get it with PES anyway, they both sound worth having so far.

Last edited:

I don't remember a Lineker game with a "be a pro" type mode either, I'm 34 and played football games since the early 80s ;)

Obviously there's Libero Grande from the PS1 which I thougth was pretty decent :) Remembering back I believe Player Manager and Player Manager 2 allowed for you to control either the whole team or only the player manager?

Good call Placebo, Player Manager was excellent! Now if only it used the SWOS engine instead of Kick Off's ;) Never did get the hang of dribbling properly in Kick Off, still a good game though. Used to get a great feeling if you managed to do a proper dribble past a few players and put it in the back of the net.

Player Manager needs a modern-day release :)

Edit: I think you could control either the team or just your player, though your own player was always the best :)

Nah, certainly not too young! I'm 27, been playing games since the Atari 2600 :) I had a Commodore 64 back in the day, didn't fancy the Spectrum at all :) Don't think I played this game though, oddly. What's going on with the centre circle though? :p

http://s64.emuunlim.com/gameinfos/superstarsoccer/superstarsoccer.htm

i had that for c64, it was awesome (well i thought it was back then). i think that was the first game a saw an overheadkick in, felt so good when i scored one!

Wow, I've kinda taken this thread off-topic haven't I???

I'm 34 too Placebo btw!

Snoop - (can't be bothered with the "^" 's all the time!) - thanks for your research - the first one you linked too looked familar as far as the joystick bit was concerned (ie pre-set buttons for an action) but I don't remember the graphics being that bad! Also, overhead kicks from the half-way line rings a bell too.

You defo only controlled one player as the joystick was only used to say "pass", "shoot" - that type of thing - you didn't even contol the direction he was running I'm sure.

Ok, while we're on nostalgia lane - how about "Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona"!! - One of the first games to include speech - you controlled only "Shilts" - was pretty good.

And Footballer Of The Year - how about that one?

Anyway, erm, so yeah, FIFA 08 - can't wait ;-p

Did Microprose Soccer have overhead kicks? Another great game.

Don't think I ever played the Shilton game, though I remember I would've played FOTY but I don't remember much so it mustn't have made much of an impression.

Three EA SPORTS demos are now on Xbox Live - Madden NFL 08, NBA Live 08 and NHL 08.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH.

Good call Placebo, Player Manager was excellent! Now if only it used the SWOS engine instead of Kick Off's ;) Never did get the hang of dribbling properly in Kick Off, still a good game though. Used to get a great feeling if you managed to do a proper dribble past a few players and put it in the back of the net.

Player Manager needs a modern-day release :)

Edit: I think you could control either the team or just your player, though your own player was always the best :)

Naah I was a huge Kick Off fan, one of those who preferred the more realistic, sim type gameplay of kick off rather than the arcadey "simple to pick up and playness" of SWOS :)

I remember with player manager when you created your guy the starts were always random so I used to keep restarting until I got loads of pace as it was one of the things that made a difference, you always started at 29 as I recall? I used to top the scoring charts for at least 4 or 5 seasons for my club, really was great fun.......

Can we get early bets on Fifa 09, be a pro: Player Manager? You choose one of the late 20 somethings of your favourite team and using be a pro mode try to make an instant success of your new managerial role? Be a Pro Manchester Utd and you are Paul Scholes the new player manager, or Ryan Giggs. Be a Pro Liverpool and Mr Gerrard leads from the front and the manager's office ;)

the gamespot videos are looking scary good. Did evil EA really manage to make a good game ????
- crossong looks improved
- good header(!!!) by Ballack

I've played UCL once more yesterday, still don't like it (World Class, Bremen - Atletico 3:3)

Wow, I've kinda taken this thread off-topic haven't I???

I'm 34 too Placebo btw!

The fortunate thing is we have Gerd on these forums to a. make us feel young and b. make us not worry about playing video games at "our age" ;) The advantage for me of course is that I'm "in the industry" so to speak to any games I play is of course "research" :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom