FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

i actually pulled out UCL the other day and had a few games against my girlfriend, i have to disagree, i think the control is amazing in that game, u can control the player very well, better than pes

i tottally agree with tikit, how can you say that when there is a clear and obvious delay from the time you hit a button on the controller to the time your player actually does something?

Been playing the UCL demo a few more times this week and i still have the overal issue of a lack of control. Its probably a mix between the response time and the analog, im old skool d-pad for footie. I would expect the response time to go away somewhat with practise, however the overal lack of precision with the analog is worrying. Youre running straight and want to go diagonal but while you turn the analog stick just goes past the "marker" and youre now running up. It happens to me all the time, which makes me spend most of my time trying to correct myself. And its not like you have "analog" control anyway, as the players only run in 8 [slow] and 16 [fast] directions. Try it out for those who dont believe me, its not that your player changes their angle to corrispond with the analog angle, its just that the analog is divided into the 8/16 angles and there is no accurate way to be able to control that. A couple of degrees off and you move from angle 5 to 4.

Also I hope EA gives a decent demo for 08 as the UCL is very stingy. I dont get why they just dont give a full match in a demo, its not like you "find out" too much as a storygame. I cant even change the controller settings in UCL, aswell as having to watch the stupid cardvideo every time.

So im in two minds now about fifa, i think ill probably be leaning to not getting this either. Even though its good is so many ways, if its like the previous two ill never feel in control of the game anyway.

Some good points tiktik.

I think the Demo's are not always a fair reflection on the overall gameplay when you finally rteceive the game, thus it may well be difficult to judge what 08 will be like given the performance of the UCL demo.

I for one think there are huge improvements in the overall control of the game, ie tighter passing, intelligent AI, improved keepers, improved shooting, improved tackling.You can pretty much see all these things by the video clips, comparing them with UCL & 07 is a shift in the right direction so I think you will find the game plays at the same pace as UCL but plays a slightly better game but a much better game than the demo.(if you know what I mean)

The only real crtisism I have so far is that the ball physics seem a little off at times, especially in the short passes which are kind of shoved to the opponent in places, and the crossing looks to be a bit hit and miss again.Otherwise it is a massive improvement over 07 and that is good enough for most:)

i tottally agree with tikit, how can you say that when there is a clear and obvious delay from the time you hit a button on the controller to the time your player actually does something?

I think that is always going to be the case with games, its just a question of who can get the quicker response.

I know its been mentioned before, but you really have to wash yourself clean of pro evo to enjoy next gen fifa.

It is soooo different, and once you get used to it,it's a very good game.

I played uefa last night for the first time in a while, and after a while you start to discover new ideas implemented, which imo, makes it leaps and bounds ahead of pro evo.

Not to mention in hd, it looks sweet as !!!

Does the game even have weather? I can't remember it in FIFA 07.

No. they have field degradation in this year wear the pitch will wear and tear and it looks great...

Next year weather will be in but who knows

they did 3 things right this year as far as graphics go...

1)Pitch degradation
2)Ad boards finally improved
3)Straightened out the player model posture and made them thinner

Nope it doesnt. They said its 'top of their list' for FIFA 09 hehe.
That video is one of the best yet. The Toni shot and resulting header from the corner are both massive steps forward for EA.

Seems quite mad that they wouldn't have weather in any sports game on any system since the Playstation 1, ESPECIALLY next gen! It's ridiculous to not include it and it does dampen the realism, I'm sure I'll forget about it after a few games though.

Also shitty that keepers still can't get sent off or injured in next gen but they have it in current gen, also manual goalkeeper control is in current gen not next gen :(

wow...just wacthed that bayern arsenal video... was amazed by that header by toni....looked spot on.

also...about weather, i remember someone said that they want to implement it to 2009 and also they want it to be dynamic, like mlb 2k7, where if u start a game at 7pm it will sunny and than at 830pm its already night. not like today football games, where its night or day.

The animations on this last videos I've seen are to die for. In that last video, the way Klose sprints for a header off a corner kick looked spookingly lifelike. Also, the animation where L.Toni makes his dash run from midfield and turning into the box unleashing a shot looked very organic and not robotic.

The players are very discernible from a distance. Not to mention their boots. Shooting and net physics looked much more improved then last year's version. Headers look great and realistic. I can see in each animation the dynamics in all of them. I beleive the next Gen Futbol sim has finally arrived in terms of graphics, gameplay, and animation all in one package.

I hope I am not disappointed.

Looking forward to the demo.

Last edited:

just seen this on the official EA Fifa 08 forums -

Posted:Aug 28, 2007 11:39 PM

The spanish forums have given incorrect dates. The next- gen demo has just gone for 1st party approval (Microsoft and Sony), and should be available in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the miscommunication. Lots of people are posting dates. Don't believe anything until you see it from myself or anyone else with a "EA" icon by their username.

2 weeks then? later than the september 8th date! knowing microsoft it will get delayed further still

Knowing Sony it will come out AFTER the game has appeared :) the PSN is shite!

wow...just wacthed that bayern arsenal video... was amazed by that header by toni....looked spot on.

also...about weather, i remember someone said that they want to implement it to 2009 and also they want it to be dynamic, like mlb 2k7, where if u start a game at 7pm it will sunny and than at 830pm its already night. not like today football games, where its night or day.

they need to have a look at games like Armed Assault (Placebo will agree lol) that can pull of Dynamic weather and lighting on a real times or accelerated basis. Heck even Operation Flashpoint could do that in 2001.

It will be an excellent addition once implemented.

they need to have a look at games like Armed Assault (Placebo will agree lol) that can pull of Dynamic weather and lighting on a real times or accelerated basis. Heck even Operation Flashpoint could do that in 2001.

Mate, if you live in NW London, you don't really want similtaneous weather do you!?!

Think about it; you can't even escape the RAIN in a video game.

yeh i agree...
mlb 2k7 does this in perfection....
you can start a game whatever time u want...evan at 4am lol!
and the cool thing is that if u do start a game at 4am, when its about 6-7am around 7inng, u will see the sun rising..its beautifull!

It's not dynamic Weather they are working on, it's weather which actually affects the gameplay. So if it rains the bounce and skid will be different. EA are really going to town to make this an authentic simulation.

smiley_notworthy.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif

Sneaking an ArmA/Opf reference into a Fifa08 thread is worthy of great reward in my book! :)

Back
Top Bottom