FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Andish, good post. It seems like the floaty ball stuff is enough to put most people off. I personally don't notice it but I understand why it's such a game-killer. Shame that it wasn't fixed.

Jamez, I'm with you, although I can sympathise with the guys who notice it.

Gomito, CW was also quoted as saying that he loved it, so... You know. He's still playing UEFA CL for a reason.

yes i know, but i didnt like CL so no im dissapointed if its the same cause then i wont like it. Uggggggggggh im going to play CL again tonight again and see if somehow i like it by some magical fate... i just hate how the players delay so much when pressing the button to them actually kicking the ball

seems like a german ea guy confirmed 27th for the xbox 360 marketplace demo

i'll keep my eyes open for more info

a guy (reliable source who had a fifa 06 ebta last year) on a german xbox forum posted this, he said he will phone him again today for another confirmation. waiting for his post to show up. :) i really hope it is true

Lol ah well at least he isnt posting crap or flaming anyone anymore... I think you could quite possibly Un-Ignore him.
I'll blame you if he starts again. :) What about about Gomito#10 is he safe to unignore as well? ;)

Just to say amid all the confusion I loved UCL albiet it was shallow. But I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for the full game now.

Posted by Chris on WE11 Thread:

Pes2008 v FIFA 08 Hands on - a good write up:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3534

It's pretty interesting to say the least. and honestly one of the better visual videos we get to see of the game in motion. Both are at the sdame angle so it's very good to compare to each other that way.

I'll have to get both and will probably get both but fifa first thank to me being in the states(sad bumperman sad bumperman:))

but from just a visual first hand look at THESE videos i clearly like the nets in PES and then i love the overall look of fifa.

That review actually gives me a little bit more hope in Pro Evo - I have to admit the passing speed looks great.

Although saying that, the FIFA 08 England v Germany video is the most impressive football gameplay video I think I've ever seen. The passing in that looked ultra realistic, the only thing missing being the ability to do speedier passes.

Such a shame about the reaction times though - I downloaded the PES6 and UEFA CL demos last night, just to refresh a few things in my mind. PES6 is fast and exciting, but the ball feels like it's not been pumped up properly when you pass and shooting is literally total luck (press the button as soft as you can and the striker balloons the ball into orbit - which, for me, makes the game unplayable). UEFA CL is freedom to the max, and you don't notice the reaction times until you play PES6. But when you do, you think "holy shit". It's almost like playing UEFA on an emulator, so delayed are the reactions. But there's nothing like hitting the perfect goal and knowing that it was all down to you. Which is strange, because you don't celebrate it all of the time - why? Because* you're not constantly pressing ten buttons at once and dripping sweat onto the pad, trying to stop the CPU from fucking cheating the ball away from you. Without that desperation, scoring is a bit numb.

In all honesty it's really close (even more so this year, as confirmed by my contact/mate) and that review puts it perfectly. Fast and exciting = PES2008 (EDIT: just watched the Xbox 360 version video at WENB, and God, it looks so robotic*). Slow and more realistic* with a lot more to do (but with a few wonky aspects), FIFA 08.

* = IMMFO (in my mother-fucking OPINION)

Last edited:

Fifa looking new but it has the same gameplay like fifa 2007 -> read previews!

See that's the thing I've been reading and isn't making sense to me, UCL next gen played quite a bit different/better than Fifa 07 next gen and had a number of improved gameplay aspects, so either EA went back to the gameplay of 07 to base 08 on (which makes no sense at all) or the people who have tried 08 are being just a smidge biased in their opinions, but at the end of the day we'll all find out which we prefer when we have the demos :)

it was released as a press release ages ago. il get the link.

EDIT -- http://www.xboxic.com/news/3346

As much as I'd love to be playing the Fifa demo in 4 days EA confirmed a while ago that they never said the demo would be released in August and it was just idle internet speculation without any foundation, they said it will be released sometime in September, I posted links to the post on the EA forums some time back.......

That hands on, the PES video. Again it looks like the PES players are wooden and a good example of that is when Spain score their second goal and the player runs off to celebrate. It looks far too much like current gen with the stiffness of the body and the complete lack of any facial movement instead showing a zombified look. I used to love PES and completely dismiss FIFA, but PES really does get worse everytime I see it and I really can't see why it would be worth playing over FIFA (for me, personally and only personally).

Reviewers were not keen on fifa last year but were with the world cup one. howver the community esp here on EVO-Web found more to like with fifa then pes, and since thats who plays it the most i would imagine the opion or thought would be more valid than any five minute or 2 page write up review.

although this review favors PES it still says to me that PES is the same as well. so i just look to the videos. I see one thing automatically and thats not gameplay. it's graphically (which i think everyone notices first since the whole "look at this pic" started)

Fifa 08 has some great adboards and degrading grass along with dynamic lighting.
PES 2008 has GREAT nets I mean real good football Kingdom Quality finally.

That's what sticks out the most kind of like the sideline in APF 2k8. it's just that much more appealing to have these things there this year. I mean how cool was it seeing those elctronic adboards go from fly emirates to sony back fifa.com i thought it was cool and very un generic. then the grass man it degraded over time and then the lighting cast differently!

gameplay I can say is mainly better animation wise. however only in fifa 08

Downloaded UCL and had a couple of matches. It actually didnt seem to slow in reaction time, however i still always felt as though i was just "out-of-control" each time. I think its the response time combined with the analog for me. Shooting seemed better then 07 atleast. Its odd, because when you are moving with UCL your player can only move in 8 directions walking and 16 running. Meaning you, or atleast i do, keep on needing to correct yourself/player movement because a slightly sharper angle means you move straight down instead of 45d angle. Really they should be able to just add d-pad support with auto assistance as the player movement is only that anyway.

Looking at those 2 videos pes seems so fast, 3 passes and youre in the opponents area, whereas fifa you really need to build up play.

We are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with these games, atleast i am.

PES has the reaction/response time i need to play footie, fast/sharp and it gives me "direct" control from controller to player (im disregarding the scripts/cheats/etc). Fifa on the other hand has the animation and nextgen feel to it but that comes with a lag from controller to player.

Im not sure about the shooting, but for me the analog shooting is far to subtle in fifa. It doesnt give me enough control over them because a slightly different angle can mean a totally different corner, whereas in pes i can aim it where i want for the most part by using the up/down on the d-pad, which should be introduced to the analog of fifa imo.

Fifa will, because of the new engine give me the reward for making good passes, pes is so scripted and is pretty much the same as always.

Game modes and teams fifa wins, the ML is dead in its current format.

Graphics and sound fifa wins aswell.

So in the end i think ill be dissapointed with both games, fifa just doesnt give me enough direct control in movement and shooting (passing is great) and pes just doesnt give me a reason to play it as its all the same.

Bioshock is so good, makes me wonder why they[ea/nokami] cant get the fundementals of each series right.

I'll blame you if he starts again. :) What about about Gomito#10 is he safe to unignore as well? ;)

Heh, you have a few of the same guys on ignore as myself.

Personally, I'm keeping it that way. The forum is serene for me thesedays.

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/fifa-08-video-42323.html
Also look for Yaya Toure's flick pass at 2:41 Jack - a moment of brilliance!

It's an aesthetically pleasing move but did the human player actually do anything skillful to pull that off or is it an automatic (scripted) move?

PES is full of fancy tricks and great moments of skill but a lot of them just happen in all by themselves with no user input. The AI engine just decides the circmstances are right to do an auto-scissors kick, etc.

If it's purely scripted, I'd almost prefer it didn't happen at all.

Bioshock is so good, makes me wonder why they[ea/nokami] cant get the fundementals of each series right.
I was just thinking the exact same thing...

It's an aesthetically pleasing move but did the human player actually do anything skillful to pull that off or is it an automatic (scripted) move?
Looking at the IGN skill images, it's not automatic. Stuff like that has never been automatic on FIFA next-gen so I'm 99% sure it won't be automatic in FIFA 08.

I hope you're right. I was just that the human player didn't exactly excel during that match, so it seemed a bit out of place that he suddenly threw in a neat bit of skill.

I have my doubts. Unless he accidentally flicked the trick stick, but the timing was too immaculate.

Perhaps you hold down a button and press pass, or hold down the right stick in that direction and press pass... There's a lot we don't know, but nothing was automatic in FIFA 07 or UEFA CL (and the lack of automation is what's making them seriously compete with PES), so I doubt it is. But who knows.

...Well, the guy who did it, obviously, but...

PES is full of fancy tricks and great moments of skill but a lot of them just happen in all by themselves with no user input. The AI engine just decides the circmstances are right to do an auto-scissors kick, etc.

If it's purely scripted, I'd almost prefer it didn't happen at all.

You're 100% right ,more controls towards the player should the main focus for any sports games ,specially for the next-gen.

FIFA has given more to you actually controlling the player since FIFA07 which was a good attempt at a free flowing game.

By the look of the superb animation, better heading, collision and tackling, its covered all of the things i hated about FIFA 07 (which i played to death)

i never played CL, as I though it may just be a glossy 07 but my mates say otherwise, I am expecting a big leap from 07 to 08 thats why I am struggling to take anyone seriously that states they are similar.

PES looks the same to me, certainly not next gen nd that is very poor, especially in the graphics and animation.

I love the tackling, you can see there are some real crunchers without a refs whistle, should make a lovely patient free flowing game.

I prefer the slow methodical build up, sometimes passing back to go forward.To have the ability to dictate pace is a realistic aspect of footy that EA have captured well.Pes is a bit more arcade like for me with the ball pinging around and you constantly being harrassed.

FIFA will have its flaws, but for the first time in years, there will not be many.

If PES is only slightly better than Fifa then i am glad.
Due to the tragic news of the Masterleague means i wont be missing out on much when i play Fifas Manager Mode.

Posted by Chris on WE11 Thread:

Pes2008 v FIFA 08 Hands on - a good write up:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3534

Well, FIFA certainly looks better to me.

PES looks the same as usual, scripted, angular, and now far too fast. It's not like watching football, it's like watching PES. FIFA looks smooth, fluid, natural and a good tempo. The ball also seems to leaves the grass and become a little air-borne more in FIFA, which is more real like football.

Why was he saying it's sluggish and slow to pass the ball in FIFA? The long pass down the left wing on 5 secs is nice and pacey. Just because PES is in hyper-speed it means something more realistic is wrong? Look at the FIFA video in isolation without first viewing PES and it looks nice and brisk. Then look at PES and it's like Benny Hill time. FIFA looks more like real football.

The main distinguishing comment by the reviewer was about ball physics, particularly in scrambles. One thing I used to think was great about PES was the seemingly realistic scraps and scrambles but it gradually became obvious it was largely scripted ball physics with unrealistic and "convenient" collisons happening to ensure the ball was scripted to go to where the cpu wanted it to go. In PES, the ball isn't a free object with a real physics model acting upon it.

The ball physics as it's being stroked around looks better in FIFA, more natural. It looks more like a free object rather than something that's trapped in an AI model, being sucked along pre-determined paths to players.

I still have reservations about some aspects of the ball physics in FIFA (is the shooting any good, are the goalmouth scrambles any good) but I already know all about the PES physics and it's clearly not improved at all this year. Script script script.

Last edited:

I am getting more and more confused. Then person X says the ball is not free and random occurrences are rare in Fifa08, and then I see this video and its seems to contradict. Not only the looks but also the gameplay looks exciting and unpredictable. The 4:50 action is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I expected from PES08.

Still doesn't look much different/better than 07

I wouldn't say FIFA looks more fluid at all, theres always a jerk between the movement of the players foot and the ball being kicked forward. And the animation looks much better on PES.

Still think we'll be dissapointed by both games this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom