FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

LGC07: Sony and EA announce the FIFA Interactive World Cup

During their jam packed (and some more) Press Conference at Leipzig today, Sony revealed that it will be partnering with EA to produce the first "FIFA Interactive World Cup." This online FIFA 2008 tournament will feature thousands of players globally facing off over the PlayStation Network. The 32 best players will the be invited to Berlin to play out the final match.

Up for grabs are $20,000 and a trip to the FIFA World Player Gala. Prizes like that are nothing to be sniffed at, so we hope you have a hanky handy. In order to be in with a chance (more than a chance, an opportunity) of winning, simply register for the contest on the official website. The tournament will run between October and May, so you have a month and a half to get your registrations in. No dilly dallying, now.

you see that flick pass he does in 2:41 on first the vid? amazing. :D

you see that flick pass he does in 2:41 on first the vid? amazing. :D

My thoughts exactly.

After the madness of yesterday I studied those two new vids (which as ever were greatly appreciated) and I tried to find negatives and besides the fact that Cisse actually tracked back to defend (lol!) everything looked excellent.

There's a bit when Rooney is just walking around as the RCB has the ball and he is on the left and as soon as the DM (I think) jogs past him to make room for a pass he speeds up to get goal side of his man. Bloody marvellous.

Some of the first time long/high passes looked great too.

Corners have defo improved - now seems more like the Pro Evo ability to put it anywhere you want (to the point of trying to score directly).

The crunching tackles are superb too - there's a few on those vids where the player on the ball is clattered but play continues, as it should do.

I read that people have said it's basically UEFA CL but improved and as others have since posted, that would be fine, but these vids look nothing like the former release. The movement on the ball is totally different; one of the biggest problems I had was the sluggish reaction times from saying "move diagnal top-right" to it actually happening. Judging by the footy played on those 2 vids there's no way that can be case anymore.

A sweet start to the weekend :-)

I agree with you and im just trying to find the source again but XBOX LIVE demo is next week and PS3 demo is september. So we should get a wee shot soon enough.

as always, I'll have to wait till I get home to see the latest two videos, but your comments sound very good to me.

Yesterday, when I looked at the new screens at IGN I had to realize that EA haven't got a lot of realistic faces for the "smaller" teams. There is a screen of Schalke 04 vs. Stuttgart (which aren't really small teams) and even the well known Thomas Hitzlsperger has a shit generic face which looks nothing like him :( the other screens looked very good though, especially the faces of Ribery and Klose!

as always, I'll have to wait till I get home to see the latest two videos, but your comments sound very good to me.

Yesterday, when I looked at the new screens at IGN I had to realize that EA haven't got a lot of realistic faces for the "smaller" teams. There is a screen of Schalke 04 vs. Stuttgart (which aren't really small teams) and even the well known Thomas Hitzlsperger has a shit generic face which looks nothing like him :( the other screens looked very good though, especially the faces of Ribery and Klose!

Yes, BUT....the generic faces can be edited I think I read yesterday so it's not all bad news :-)

will we be able to transfer user patches to our X360?

I don't have the time to spend days in edit mode. The changes will possibly be useless when EA comes up with a new transfer patch.

whatever, there are more important things :)

I can't stand those bells and chimes at Pompey, so annoying!

Those videos look brilliant too.

mjp said:
one of the biggest problems I had was the sluggish reaction times from saying "move diagnal top-right" to it actually happening.

Thats why i brought it back to the shop after a couple of games. I just knew i wouldnt get into it because of the response time.

Jack said:
I was as well, hence why I'll find it hard to play PES and enjoy it anytime soon. When you've made a complete arse of yourself and hit the ball out of the stadium, it's hard to go back.

That was really briljant in 07. The "joy" of pulling off a really great passing move between 4 players was great, however for me it usually ended with a shot that i felt i had no control over. I really hope the shooting has gotton as good / "controlablle" as te passing as that was a big let down for me.

@ placebo, im downloading the ucl demo just to give it a couple more goes :D

... Yesterday, when I looked at the new screens at IGN I had to realize that EA haven't got a lot of realistic faces for the "smaller" teams. There is a screen of Schalke 04 vs. Stuttgart (which aren't really small teams) and even the well known Thomas Hitzlsperger has a shit generic face which looks nothing like him :( the other screens looked very good though, especially the faces of Ribery and Klose!

this is one of the reasons I still prefer PES:
it has more soul/passion/charme, an eye for important details:
- the player liknesses
- the nets
- the kits, especially numbering/lettering
- animations/cut scenes (e.g. striker grabs the ball after scoring the 1:2 in the last minutes, keeper shouts at defenders, keeper is awarded after a good save...)

I must admit, that the passing, ball physics, even the referee seems to have improved a lot in FIFA 08. I really hope EA will not ruin this by leaving out this little things (that are all easy to implement !)

___

It'll be exciting, if FIFA this time really does a step forward (in terms of gameplay). Konami would be forced to do some steps further (ML, game modes)

Last year I was hoping the same, but EA managed to be even worse than ever.
FIFA07/UCL was a new approach (with a new engine), but what about the ball physics, referee, keepers, player liknesses, shooting...

___

this year it seems both did their homework (you can't expect more, that'll be far from realistic)

- the player liknesses
- the nets
- animations/cut scenes (e.g. striker grabs the ball after scoring the 1:2 in the last minutes, keeper shouts at defenders, keeper is awarded after a good save...)

I agree, that is the next department where EA needs to improve a lot, after gameplay.

The good thing for me is that if FIFA disappoints me again, I can always go back to good OLD pro evo, which will be a very solid game for sure. But I would love to have a new football experience - with FIFA.

regardng the 1000 decisions a second comment. Forza2 has 360 calculations a second. Now with the 35maps you could break it down to 30/s x 35maps = 1050. So forza does 360, fifa does 30. If thats how it compared its not too weird / BS.

- the player liknesses
- the nets

I must admit, that the passing, ball physics, even the referee seems to have improved a lot in FIFA 08. I really hope EA will not ruin this by leaving out this little things (that are all easy to implement !)

___

It'll be exciting, if FIFA this time really does a step forward (in terms of gameplay). Konami would be forced to do some steps further (ML, game modes)

Last year I was hoping the same, but EA managed to be even worse than ever.
FIFA07/UCL was a new approach (with a new engine), but what about the ball physics, referee, keepers, player liknesses, shooting...

___

this year it seems both did their homework (you can't expect more, that'll be far from realistic)

i kinda agre. another thing i've wanted in pro for ages is in btw. GOAL CELEBRATION REPLAYS! just ups the passion more. slow motion celebrations :D

Go to 09:20 (match time), all football games do this - why does the player run up (to the destination point of the ball) rather than just stepping to the left (as we look at the pitch) to intercept the ball!?

That's why the "PES supercancel" is so important to me.
But, in this case the mistake has been made by the human, because if you look, the defenders running away from the ball is under the human control.

What i would actually like to know is if the players have got railways like in PES and if you can take the total control of them changing directions everytime you want.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/

CW and Kenny M played it and don't seem to be impressed. :(

I can't understand why they say it is almost the same as UEFA CL07.
The movement and behaviour of players looks so different in the videos. Joe Booth said say spent so much on the gameplay this year. Is he talking bullshit or did they work on the tricks all year long?

Of course I'll wait for the demo to get my own impressions :)

First time I've seen PES 2008 videos (off the blog Elber mentioned there) and PES 2008 just plays far too fast for my liking. I'll still give it a try, but looking at the video of the PC version, it was as if they sped the gameplay up (maybe they did in the options of PES?)

Yeah, there's a few iffy looking things but they all seem to be the human player playing like an ass. It's like he's a novice who has never used the LAS before.

EA claim each AI player makes 1000 decisions a second so surely that means they won't go on scripted runs and will make sensible decisions to change their run as soon as the realise it's hopeless. I would hope the same applies to human control...I would be extremely disappointed if there was PES style cpu taking control of your guy and making him go in a different direction to where you're pointing your controller. I can't stand these PES scripts any more.

FIFA has proper manual passing so surely it has proper manual control of your player.

Can any UCL veterans confirm? Any cpu taking control of your guy?

Last edited:

That is what i would like to know and if is there any kind of "supercancel"

I played UEFA CL to death upto about July and I never felt that the CPU was controlling my player at all.

I don't think there is a super-cancel but it's not needed.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/

CW and Kenny M played it and don't seem to be impressed. :(

I can't understand why they say it is almost the same as UEFA CL07.
The movement and behaviour of players looks so different in the videos. Joe Booth said say spent so much on the gameplay this year. Is he talking bullshit or did they work on the tricks all year long?

Of course I'll wait for the demo to get my own impressions :)
If you played CL or FIFA 07, you can see already the gameplay improved a lot. Besides, it's a Winning Eleven Blog.....

Yep the animation are much better as in PES2008/Fifa 2007. But it is important how the gameplay is and not how it looks like. I hope the demo comes out soon.

FIFA has proper manual passing so surely it has proper manual control of your player.

Can any UCL veterans confirm? Any cpu taking control of your guy?
The CPU doesn't take control of your player, but there are a few instances (as in one per couple of games) where a supercancel would be handy. Mainly for things like headers.

The shooting has apparently been fixed (according to CW, who loves UEFA as well), so that's great news. And the AI has been much, much improved. Bad news is that the response times are still poor (which you get used to but still should have been improved), and Adonis still thinks the ball looks floaty in certain areas (which is like the "monkey" stuff - some people notice it, some don't, CW and I never have, but obviously it's there because a lot of people have complained about it).

But CW thinks it's great (and that PES2008 is crap), so that's enough for me. CW has the same mindset as me - i.e. PES is a ten year old game in a two year old game's clothing, FIFA is flawed genius.

Both games have good points and bad points though, hence why I don't run around shouting "ARE YOU MAD FOR PLAYING PRO EVO, YOU DOUCHE" like some dickheads do (usually in the name of Pro Evo, though). Pro Evo is solid but the same as every previous version for five years, FIFA is a breath of fresh air with tons more game modes but with some faults that need ironing out ASAP.

I prefer the latter but I can totally see why some (if not most) people prefer the former.

Last edited:

Im shattered after seeing the jeuxvideos. Dont get me wrong - there are a couple of brilliant moments..the flick by toure, the tackles, the shooting, the running off the ball - but when i saw ribery's free kick and all the subsequent corners, it just has 07/UCL written all over it - floaty, strange balls which hold up as if its blowing a gale, which most of the time seemed to end up rolling over the line for a throw in. Worst of all - is that during the crosses and corners - the keepers seem as shocking as they were in UCL. The seem indecisive and hardly ever come out to catch unless its in that 'area' from corners where they ALWAYS catch it. It just doesnt look right. Additionally, after playing some PES4/5 on the PS2 recently and going back to UCL/07 360, it really stood out to me that one of the great things about PES is how when you attack (unless on the counter) the team really runs in numbers, which creates so many rebound/top of the box goals when a rebound occurs or it strikes a defending player. At a lot of those points in those videos it just seemed like either klose and toni against the entire team, cisse and nasri against the entire team, and in particular tevez and rooney against barcelona. Giggs and Ronaldo did run up on a few occasions - all im saying is that I want that to happen more often. This problem could probably be fixed easily through tactics/runs/attacking options through the D-pad though.
I want FIFA 08 to be great as much as anyone (especially as the a-league is included for all my fellow aussies :) ), but, while large steps have seemingly been taken in the passing, shooting, and player AI - its the fundamental skills and animations of a few keepers and crosses that keeps the game from rising above.

Man, thats a good post.

Alot of people have been commenting that the ball still looks floaty, but to me it looks fine. If anyting the ball in PES is weighted a little too heavy.

If you played CL or FIFA 07, you can see already the gameplay improved a lot. Besides, it's a Winning Eleven Blog.....

CW stopped playing pes awhile ago and has been playing the shit out of CL, he was quoted as saying it plays the same as cl with the trick stick added...

Andish, good post. It seems like the floaty ball stuff is enough to put most people off. I personally don't notice it but I understand why it's such a game-killer. Shame that it wasn't fixed.

Jamez, I'm with you, although I can sympathise with the guys who notice it.

Gomito, CW was also quoted as saying that he loved it, so... You know. He's still playing UEFA CL for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom