FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Andish, good post. It seems like the floaty ball stuff is enough to put most people off. I personally don't notice it but I understand why it's such a game-killer. Shame that it wasn't fixed.

Thanks mate - but note that its not really enough to stop me playing it. Hell, just having the arena to have fun in is all I need. Quite often with FIFA 07 id forget that i started a game just shooting in the arena!
I think the floaty ball issue affects more inexperienced (not with game playing, but with....life i guess) players more - younger people are less patient in general, and so I have often felt that waiting for the ball to come down while it 'floats' has just pissed me off and would for other similiar "quick tevez, take it down on the chest and volley it home!" type players. Correct me if Im wrong, Jack, but your posts have always sent the message that you're more of a 'seasoned' gamer.

There are plenty of positives from those videos though.

Correct me if Im wrong, Jack, but your posts have always sent the message that you're more of a 'seasoned' gamer.
Yeah, seasoned, but still absolutely fucking useless with most games. :)

This is why I loved UEFA CL, it was a challenge to your footballing brain more than your quick fingers. In PES you can press :x: seventy times in a row (without even pressing a direction most of the time) and then score. In UEFA you're constantly assessing where the space is and whether that four-man midfield is enough versus this great European team you're playing. I never had to do that on PES, it was just "Start Game" and don't think about it.

Because the game is so free, you're free to make some amazing balls, plonk them directly where you want them to go, and it feels brilliant. It's incredibly rare that I feel good playing PES, because if you do a great through-ball, all you've done is press through-ball and the CPU has been kind to you. You've not weighted it yourself, directed it yourself and judged it yourself.

I'm the first to admit that the game has it's faults though. The goalkeepers need a kick up the arse, the heading needs a rewrite and the shooting does as well (at least that's been fixed according to CW). But I'd rather play a game that's brilliant in some areas and poor in others, than automatic and above-average in all. As I say though, I can understand those who disagree.

Last edited:

Great post. As well as the shooting rewrite, havent the headers also been improved? At least by the look of those videos they have. Or maybe it's the lovely new animations which actually look decent - which by the way is a landmark moment for EA if headers finally look and feel natural. It's been as large a thorn in their side as the "dispassionate" goal scoring that everyone goes on about.

I play in an online PES league, and I've been trying to open the eyes of people to FIFA on the forums over there - it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

So many people just wont accept that FIFA 08 could be as good as, or better, than their precious PES2008. They'll reel off a list of faults about FIFA (bad player models, floaty ball, poor shooting) without acknowledging that PES is full of faults too (scripting, last-gen graphics, master league, lack of innovation). I think a few people are scared that FIFA is moving forward quicker than PES is.

And all this from a die-hard PES fan like my self.

Andish, to be honest with you, I've not noticed the heading in any videos. Are there any in-particular where you've noticed how they now look "natural"? Because that's something I'm dying to see, as you said they look poor in FIFA 07/UEFA CL. If you'd post a quick link to it then I'd be very grateful. :)

I've not heard CW talk about the improvement in heading, but I'm hoping it has been fixed. If that's the case then it only leaves the reaction times and the goalkeepers that I'd like to see fixed, gameplay-wise. Which is a short list compared to what I'd like to see changed in Pro...

Andish, to be honest with you, I've not noticed the heading in any videos. Are there any in-particular where you've noticed how they now look "natural"? Because that's something I'm dying to see, as you said they look poor in FIFA 07/UEFA CL. If you'd post a quick link to it then I'd be very grateful. :)

I've not heard CW talk about the improvement in heading, but I'm hoping it has been fixed. If that's the case then it only leaves the reaction times and the goalkeepers that I'd like to see fixed, gameplay-wise. Which is a short list compared to what I'd like to see changed in Pro...
Lol, enough talked about PES 2008 in the FIFA thread, and vice versa.

It really doesn't matter in the end. Its as futile as the 360 vs PS3 argument, which, even after almost 6 months of side-by-side comparisons, hasn't been definitively settled. I think a big part of which side one takes in the argument (PES v FIFA) has to do with what football they watch, whether they play regularly, and just what in particular turns them on about the beautiful game. For some it's the crowd - wild and ecstatic, while for others it's the glitz, the glamour, the red nike ticks on each shiny and grass covered ball. Im still confident that some day, maybe in 10 years, maybe in 50, a footy game will be released that tickles everyone's fancy - its only a matter of time.

Edit: sorry Jack just saw your post, hold on a sec and ill find an example.

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/fifa-08-video-42323.html
The goal kick at 4:22 has two resulting headers. Not the best examples, but you can see that some changes have been made to the system.

Something that occurred to me while searching for headers was that really, the guys playing this hardly ever played a lofted ball. Even in defence under the pump at the top of the box, they pass their way out of trouble rather than clearing it. Hard to judge a football game on videos where the only passes are 'ground' ones. Also look for Yaya Toure's flick pass at 2:41 Jack - a moment of brilliance!

They are indeed.
Particularly apt was this post:
I have some faith. But I’m going to make two points which I don’t think have been made before:

*Seabass and his team have NOT come to terms with the game in WIDESCREEN. It will affect the pace of the game, and they have that much more space to play with. It’s like Arsenal moving from Highbury to the Emirates; its an adjustment. With more space, they could have developed the game regarding one-on-one duels between defender and attacker, but they havent. They have done nothing with either the camera angles or presentation, or more importantly- passing, to enhance the game for this new mode.

*Unless you change the control method, i.e joypad, how much can the actual game change? Without revamping analogue control, essentially it will always be the same engine. When was the last time PES came up with an innovation as good as the “through ball” or “masterleague”. They seem to have run dry on the innovations.

I say all this, but the basic PES engine (which even PES6 had on the 360) is still brilliant played between mates, that won’t change.

Agree with pretty much all his points.

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the skill system in that forum. A lot of them are saying that it will ruin the game, be too effective, and just shouldn't be a selling point.
I think that the skill moves will take a lot of people by surprise. From what I've seen, its actually quite hard to pull the tricks off AND use them to get around opponents. And, with EA being EA, they were always going to use tricks as a selling point - its in their very nature to market the game to the mere watchers and observers of football rather than the complete die-hard fans.

Last edited:

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/fifa-08-video-42323.html
The goal kick at 4:22 has two resulting headers. Not the best examples, but you can see that some changes have been made to the system.
Oh yeah! They look a lot better than before. As you say though, would be nice to see some headed shots, these guys hardly cross the ball...

Also look for Yaya Toure's flick pass at 2:41 Jack - a moment of brilliance!
That's brilliant. :mryellow: I'm not a big trick person, I prefer to pass and play traditional football, but trick-passes like that are superb. Love it!

I'm not a big trick person, I prefer to pass and play traditional football, but trick-passes like that are superb. Love it!

Yeah neither am I - id prefer to do a simple step over with ronaldo maybe twice a game rather than do it every time I get the ball. Just to liven things up a bit - get the crowd going :mryellow: Nevertheless, it could be handy to have these in the game just to spice things up a bit.

They are indeed.
Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the skill system in that forum. A lot of them are saying that it will ruin the game, be too effective, and just shouldn't be a selling point.
I think that the skill moves will take a lot of people by surprise. From what I've seen, its actually quite hard to pull the tricks off AND use them to get around opponents. And, with EA being EA, they were always going to use tricks as a selling point - its in their very nature to market the game to the mere watchers and observers of football rather than the complete die-hard fans.

I agree. PES has plenty of skill moves, but I only use them sparingly because they are difficult to pull off. EA have said the skill moves in FIFA08 will only be achievable by the top players and the success rate wont be that high.

At the end of it all you can choose how often you want to uses the skills, if at all. Its the same as PES in that respect. It just nice to know that the skills are there if you want to show-off a bit. Its a computer game and hence should be fun so a few skill moves just add to the entertainment.

Agreed. I also dont use the PES tricks too often because, as people have criticised for FIFA, they are too effective at times. The shot fake for example, is a virtually guaranteed way to find space against the computer or even another player.

Last edited:

Yeah, seasoned, but still absolutely fucking useless with most games. :)

This is why I loved UEFA CL, it was a challenge to your footballing brain more than your quick fingers. In PES you can press :x: seventy times in a row (without even pressing a direction most of the time) and then score. In UEFA you're constantly assessing where the space is and whether that four-man midfield is enough versus this great European team you're playing. I never had to do that on PES, it was just "Start Game" and don't think about it.

Because the game is so free, you're free to make some amazing balls, plonk them directly where you want them to go, and it feels brilliant. It's incredibly rare that I feel good playing PES, because if you do a great through-ball, all you've done is press through-ball and the CPU has been kind to you. You've not weighted it yourself, directed it yourself and judged it yourself.

I'm the first to admit that the game has it's faults though. The goalkeepers need a kick up the arse, the heading needs a rewrite and the shooting does as well (at least that's been fixed according to CW). But I'd rather play a game that's brilliant in some areas and poor in others, than automatic and above-average in all. As I say though, I can understand those who disagree.

I hope to have this experience with fifa 08 as i didn't with CL :(
The shooting never felt like i copuld place it anywhere I wanted to. I'd point and nothing I'd be way off. i'm just hoping for more user control instead of contexual(is that the word they're using?)or more or less dependant on you position and timing

Yeah, from what I've seen:

- Ball physics are better
- Improved off the ball movement
- Collisions are much better
- Goalkeepers seem to be better
- Tricks...

you can see they added a new dribbling system as well they look alot more athletic in there dribbling plus theres diffrent styles of player animation witch has really impressed me ie a defender looks more bulky and slow in there style but wingers look more athletic in running with and without the ball

They are indeed.
Particularly apt was this post:

Agree with pretty much all his points.

Cheers, I wrote that actually. Was just thinking they [Konami] haven't really concentrated on the right areas in the game.
It seems that EA are having a "go". Tricks? Nice, but how many times in games do multiple step overs, followed by flicks lead to a goal even for Ronaldinho or Carlos Tevez? If you can pass the ball accurately, and have players making decent runs, and then get a satisfying shot away, Fifa 08 will be well worth the money.

Even if Jermaine Pennant is a white man!

Last edited:

Sorry to go on about PES in a FIFA thread, but what really have Konami improved in PES2008?

From the pics/clips I've seen it looks like:

Usual roster update.
Better faces.
A few more stadiums.
A few more licensed teams.

However the following looks the same as PES6:

Gameplay.
Graphics and Audio.
Master League.
Still no German League or any other new leagues.

Is that what they call evolution?

Wouldnt say that in the PES thread... apparently the Gameplay is a lot better ;)

I like the videos. To me it looks more refined than CL and so I am awaiting a Demo on XBL to see what I think. As for PES2008 I dont hold up much hope for that... More CPU AI Cheating and Robotic Stiffness?

However the following looks the same as PES6:

Gameplay.
Graphics and Audio.
Master League.
Still no German League or any other new leagues.

Is that what they call evolution?

Gameplay maybe looks the same but it is not the same. Fifa looking new but it has the same gameplay like fifa 2007 -> read previews!
Graphics are better
Master League is maybe the same. no information about that.

WE11 JL looks also the same but it is much better.

The Power.. I think most people in here would rather Judge the game for themselves and actually play it... all opinions differ at the end of the day.

The Power.. I think most people in here would rather Judge the game for themselves and actually play it..

agree...but two of my friends played pes 2008 @gc and they say it is much better as pes6 xbox360 version. We will see.

Previews are just an opinion The Power, unless you have played the game then you can't say the gameplay looks the same but plays different. I've read a few people saying FIFA 08 plays very similar to 07 and also people have said it's quite a bit different. Like DJ said, all opinions differ.

My opinion is I'm not holding out much at all for PES 2008, it just looks the same and seems a rehash. I'll try a demo first before giving a proper verdict, but I don't know if I'll buy the game without trying first.

LOL I love seeing this message

This message is hidden because The Power is on your ignore list.

agree...but two of my friends played pes 2008 @gc and they say it is much better as pes6 xbox360 version. We will see.

Thats good, it couldnt get any worse tho tbh, I just hope both FIFA and PES this year are great

Gameplay maybe looks the same but it is not the same. Fifa looking new but it has the same gameplay like fifa 2007 -> read previews!
Graphics are better
Master League is maybe the same. no information about that.

WE11 JL looks also the same but it is much better.

I have both WE10 J-League games and they are not much better than PES6. yes they are better but again it is just a few added tweaks.

LOL I love seeing this message

This message is hidden because The Power is on your ignore list.
Lol ah well at least he isnt posting crap or flaming anyone anymore... I think you could quite possibly Un-Ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom