FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

In your opinion, in mine Fifa next gen is better than PES next gen, Fifa has a better looking game engine, it has more modes, more leagues, more licenses, better presentation, it has very good gameplay that I personally really like,

Why dont you said it have a better gameplay? ;)
That is the point..its your opinion!...but i guess the fifa 2008 gameplay is not better!(like in fifa 2000-2007)

In my opinion it does have better gameplay, after leaving PES PS2 at version 5 and moving on to Fifa 07 PS2 then the next gen ones I finally went back to try the PES 360 demo and I felt it played like complete and utter shit.

Have you played Fifa 07 next gen and UCL next gen? Can you honestly hand on heart can say it's the "same old shitty gameplay as Fifa current gen"?

How about we all stop arguing over the same point, getting nowhere?

My friggen inbox is battered and bruised from all the e-mails notifying me of a new post!!

Maybe those wanting to persist in "my mum is better than your mum" stuff should take it to the "PES v FIFA" thread that I saw laying dormant the other day?

------

EDIT, back to topic, my game-play career "path" went exactly the same was as Placebo and some others (JB, DJDoc and others) so don't think that we're all here just to flame PES and blindly support FIFA!

When does debating become arguing become personal insults? It's a hard balance to find, I like to think that I'm debating, that I'm posting with the intent of simply putting across my opinion, not posting in such a way that kills someone's cat and leaves them feeling personally violated :(

As I said before I'm a gamer and a football fan, I'd love it if PES and Fifa were both highly playable, had 80 leagues, had manager modes with the features of Football Manager, had everything anyone could ever dream of and played as if it were real football so everyone was happy.....

In my opinion it does have better gameplay, after leaving PES PS2 at version 5 and moving on to Fifa 07 PS2 then the next gen ones I finally went back to try the PES 360 demo and I felt it played like complete and utter shit.

Have you played Fifa 07 next gen and UCL next gen? Can you honestly hand on heart can say it's the "same old shitty gameplay as Fifa current gen"?

I played Fifa 2007 nexgen version for a while and there are so many reasons why i dont like the gameplay. here are two of them:

the grafics and animtaions looks better but the gameplay is the same shit!

In 07 i hated to score a goal cause it allways felt scripted and the same.The passes,shoots,crosses....are all scripted.

Another thing that i hate in fifa is the there are no difference between the player stats. In PES you can run with Martins or Henry and you feel his speed and acceleration in compare to viduka who have more body balance. In fifa i feel no difference between Henry and Trezegeut. I dont feel the better technic(Zidane) of a player or the better (long) pass ability and so on....

Nick, you were making three posts an hour begging the guys in Leipzig to stop taking gameplay videos and get a picture of the boxart, and obsessing over the number of units PES shifts, so any view you have on FIFA is null and void. You're quite clearly not interested in gameplay, all you want is to see PES sell well. You're a businessman.

I don't understand why, and how, people can be so close-minded to games/consoles and become "fanboys", it really is such a childish attitude that reminds me of being in school. Fanboys are ridiculous and I bet when they finally grow up, they'll look back on their "support" of a game/system they were supporting so much looked very stupid and childish.

to add my 2 cents to this meaningless discussion:

- PES 2008 engine has been invented in PES6/360, it's not the same as PS2, but uses elements from it
- FIFA 07/08 engine seems to be completely re-written
- passing, player movement in midfield (walking, running) looks class in FIFA 08
- I can not judge FIFA's keepers yet (one of the points 07/UCL is UNPLAYABLE to me)
- I can not judge the impact of player stats yet (very important to me)

why have 15.000 players in a game, when they all feel the same. From the previews it seems PES has put even more importance to this.

Maybe this is the point where PES addicts are separated to FIFA players:
FIFA players feel being cheated by PES, but it's cheap stats or bad circumstances (like in real life)
If you want full control to your players (incl. flicks, nutmegs, shooting passing) FIFA is the better choice.

I want a football sim. In a football match errors happen all the time. For me it's more awarding to win a game with a poor team, than to play Joga Bonito...

- the nets in FIFA are poor. I can't get it, why this hasn't been ironed out yet. It's a detail only, but it's important to the feeling when you score
- player likness: unfortunally EA focusses on top player's only (same as above: why put 15.000 players in a game, when 14.900 are looking crap)
- stadium, pitches are looking class (as always)
- the referee seems to be improved a lot: not every thouch is punished with a freekick anymore
- 10 vs. 10 online/be a pro sounds promising (I still hope fantasista will be in the 360/PS3 versions)

I still love PES6/360, so I will be happy with PES 2008.

I was excited to play FIFA 07, but it was a let down. Same with UCL. So I don't have high hopes for FIFA 08, maybe I'll be surprised in a positive way...

___

EA lost its pole at least as PES3 came out (-> PC version) I'm not talking about my opinion, but about reviews, units sold
So they had to do drastic changes -> new engine

Konami's the other way around: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes I am a PES fanboy, and until EA make a FIFA game that feels exciting to play I'll always be a PES fanboy.

From the videos the game looks slow, dull and lacks the urgency of PES.

Either show me some footage of FIFA where it doesn't look like a stroll in the park or fuck off with your personal attacks.

but there is nothing wrong with going for these games with an open mind.
This fanboy bullshit as I have just posted on the we forum is just plain ignorant.

I don't understand why, and how, people can be so close-minded to games/consoles and become "fanboys", it really is such a childish attitude that reminds me of being in school. Fanboys are ridiculous and I bet when they finally grow up, they'll look back on their "support" of a game/system they were supporting so much looked very stupid and childish.
Snoop, my brother-in-law is a fanboy and he's 40. It depends on what frame of mind you have as well. Most fanboys I know (possibly all of them, actually) have quite a "bullying" state of mind, i.e. if they see you playing "the other" game then they will rip the piss out of you until you stop playing it.

He's played PES for so long now that he thinks the pitch-size (which Seabass has admitted making smaller than is realistic to make defenders harder to get past), is normal. And whenever he sees FIFA he starts laughing his head off and says "you can tell it's FIFA, look at the size of the pitch, the players look like ants". Because PES has now entered his head as the be-all and end-all of simulation, anything different is "unrealistic". PES has become "real football" - if someone photoshopped a real football match to make it look like a computer game, the guys who have been brainwashed by PES would say it looks ridiculous, the pitch is too big, too much space, the players are running all over the place, why is nobody following the guy with the ball CONSTANTLY, etc...

The best one is that "urgency" shit actually, that Nick just came up with - never in a million years would you walk back to your own goalmouth and have players pressing you like you were about to score or something. Even when you pass it to wing-backs sitting on their arse doing nothing, they've got a marker on them within seconds. This doesn't happen in real football (in England at least), you keep POSITION - but because it appears in PES it's "realistic". I mean, they mark every one of your players all game and they don't seem to lose any energy from doing it. That's realism as well, apparently.

It's not my brother-in-law's fault that he's like this, but he's still an annoying twat because of it anyway.

Last edited:

Jesus! can we not just post our own opinions and thoughts? PES isnt Next Gen. No one can say that, not even close to being Next Gen... .FIFA on the other hand is Evolving to become a Next Gen game with a REVAMPED Game Engine...

The Power, If you dont like what you read then fine. But no need to go flaming people is there? come on man this is a forum where we DISCUSS things?

I have alot of complaints about PES.

-Lack of manual passing (though if passes didn't have that on rails effect there'd be no flow to the game)

-Lack of shot direction, I fucking hate this, why can't I shoot straight down the middle of the goal if I'm infornt of the penalty spot? Why does the game automatically try to put the ball wide of any opposing defender or keeper, if I want to shoot to the right of the keeper then let me point my d-pad in that direction.

If have plenty of other complaints, but they're merely cosmetic complaints, shit music and commentary. I'd still prefer to play this less than perfect game than jump on the FIFA bandwagon.

Until EA inject some speed, urgency and solidity (physics) into FIFA I will always stick with PES.

Edit:

Yes DJ, FIFA is next-gen in terms of what they're doing with online, and the graphics and sound. But to me they can make as many videos as they want showing player's wire-framed feet moving towards balls, but until they get the basics of a solid, thrilling football game it will ALWAYS feel like a PS1 game to me!

Last edited:

I'm going to give Fifa a chance this season (The England-Germany video done it for me!) I haven't played it properly since it's Snes days with Jason Mcateer on the cover because once I got into ISS I never looked back. I really hope EA crack it this time.

Jesus! can we not just post our own opinions and thoughts? PES isnt Next Gen. No one can say that, not even close to being Next Gen... .FIFA on the other hand is Evolving to become a Next Gen game with a REVAMPED Game Engine...

I cant understand why people write an opinion without bring arguments. Why isnt pes nexgen? Reason?

(Compare PES6 and PEs2008 grafics! )

PES2008 have nexgen engine and its look like a nexgen game...but not better than fifa 2008..but it doesnt mean pes is not nexgen!

The Power, If you dont like what you read then fine. But no need to go flaming people is there? come on man this is a forum where we DISCUSS things?

Sorry but i bring you so many arguments why i dont play/like fifagameplay. (see my post @ the top)

but until they get the basics of a solid, thrilling football game it will ALWAYS feel like a PS1 game to me!
That is true and is one of my main gripes about 07 Next Gen, CL started to improve that IMO... I look forward to seeing if they have finally nailed it in 08.

arguments why YOU dont like fifa.

All you keep going on about is how fifa is crap. A lot of people here beg to differ. UCL with no passing aids and high difficulty setting was great, nearly there. Im very hopeful EA can do it again with 08.

I cant understand why people write an opinion without bring arguments. Why isnt pes nexgen? Reason?

(Compare PES6 and PEs2008 grafics! )

PES2008 have nexgen engine and its look like a nexgen game...but not better than fifa 2008..but it doesnt mean pes is not nexgen!

Sorry but i bring you so many arguments why i dont play/like fifagameplay. (see my post @ the top)
PES2008 isnt Next Gen... you can clearly see it in videos. In this case you dont neccesarily have to play it to tell that. Its basically PES6 from Last Year slightly tweaked as some of us expected it to be. In fact PES has been all about slight tweaks since they overhauled it in PES3 (PES 1 + 2 felt a lot different to 3) I am sorry mate but this so called Next Gen Engine for PES is non existant at the moment.

I'm going to give Fifa a chance this season (The England-Germany video done it for me!)

Thats why EA makes me angry. They show you one short perfect promotion gameplayvideo without one shoot on target and amount of users say fifa is the better game - pes sucks. Furthermore the dribble videos. Yes this is a perfect marketing to show the best things from a game in a good angle.
On the other hand you see a lot of real PEs2008 gameplayvideos with negative and also positive points.

That is true and is one of my main gripes about 07 Next Gen, CL started to improve that IMO... I look forward to seeing if they have finally nailed it in 08.
This is what angers me, EA have everything there, but the whole game is just so frigging casual.

I wanna feel like like I'm bursting down the fucking wing with a player, not jogging!

I was impressed with the first PES 2008 vid I saw yesterday, everytime the guy passed the ball, the player he passed with would sharply turn and burst forward, after a few times of watching I noticed this wasn't a "one two" trick, because the ball wasn't returned.

Why can't FIFA be like this, I bet when they do the mo-cap they have some slow reggae in the background n the players feel all calm n suave. Perhaps they need to set dogs on the players just to capture a friggin sprint motion that's convincing!

Granted The Power... its obvious EA do touch ups and make sure you ONLY see the best of the game, but at least they ARE evolving the FIFA Series. They are trying to make the most of Next Gen and the amount of Calculations per Second that this gives you. Apparently in FIFA 08 each individual player makes up to 1000 Decisions per second about what is going on... In PES The AI Clearly does NOT do that. In fact its all about Super Cancel...

This is what angers me, EA have everything there, but the whole game is just so frigging casual.

I wanna feel like like I'm bursting down the fucking wing with a player, not jogging!

I was impressed with the first PES 2008 vid I saw yesterday, everytime the guy passed the ball, the player he passed with would sharply turn and burst forward, after a few times of watching I noticed this wasn't a "one two" trick, because the ball wasn't returned.

Why can't FIFA be like this, I bet when they do the mo-cap they have some slow reggae in the background n the players feel all calm n suave. Perhaps they need to set dogs on the players just to capture a friggin sprint motion that's convincing!
Nick, I seriously want them to try and Capture motions from REAL LIFE Football Matches. Imagine how good that would be? no more Feeling like your only jogging when infact your BELTING down the wings :) I have always wanted Konami and EA to try and develop a system whereby they can capture motion directly from real Football Videos....

PES 2008 uses the PES6/360 engine, which IS a new (next gen) engine.
It's using parts of the old one, though.

The switch from PES2 -> PES3 is because of they god rid of Renderware (bought by EA)

You'll see what this engine is able to do:
- in (at least) PES 2010
- in a patched PES 2008/PC game

PES2008 isnt Next Gen... you can clearly see it in videos. In this case you dont neccesarily have to play it to tell that. Its basically PES6 from Last Year slightly tweaked as some of us expected it to be.

Still no arguments!

1. PES2008 grafics are nexgen!

PES6_New%20trick%202.jpg

58969_640x480.jpg

2. WE2007 JL looks like pes6 but have much better gameplay. (i played it!).

In fact PES has been all about slight tweaks since they overhauled it in PES3 (PES 1 + 2 felt a lot different to 3) I am sorry mate but this so called Next Gen Engine for PES is non existant at the moment.

So after 7 years where pes was the better game than fifa and after one fifa gameplaypromotion video you believe fifa2008 have the better gameplay?

I cant understand this!

those a-league videos that everyone is arguing about from fourfourtwo are most definitely next gen, in the melb v sydney intro video when the screen goes black u can see the guy holding an xbox360 controller in the reflection.

also tyler only commentates next gen, whereas tydesley (sp?) commentates current gen.

:)

Ha ha The Power... you call that Decent Next Gen graphics? jesus how cartoony? I almost thought I saw Roger Rabbit for a second then! So you can tell me Jleague has all the bullshit physics and AI Cheating taken out of it...?

Back
Top Bottom