FIFA 08

yep every time it gets to the Sharp end of the season the scripted cheats and crap go into overdrive and your players suddenly forget how to play football... It needs to be addressed for 09 for sure..

It won't be. I'd bet money on it.

I hadn't realised it was in FIFA08 but now that I do know, I feel certain that they'll keep it that way. They've chosen to copy this from PES to create a contrived end of season "drama". I guess some people who don't realise/accept that it's just scripted cpu cheating actually get turned on by this stuff, enjoy the drama and "realism". But for people who see it for what it really is, just makes their blood boil.

Football AI still sucks, still totally reliant on scripted bullshit.

Last edited:
yep every time it gets to the Sharp end of the season the scripted cheats and crap go into overdrive and your players suddenly forget how to play football... It needs to be addressed for 09 for sure..

I haven't ever noticed that in manager mode and I've completed something like 20 seasons in total now, weird........

Ahh... winston a fellow cynic

Well, the PES experience has been that around PES2, quite a few of us were starting to realise the game relied on a lot of cpu cheats (eg. the cpu turbo boost towards the end of every match) and would say "let's hope they fix that for PES3".

Of course, it was still there in PES3 and indeed, they'd supplemented it with some additional cpu cheats. And by the time we got to PES6, all the original cheats were still there, but a fucking shed load of additional cheats now totally smothered the gameplay to the point where even fanboys were compaining about them.

The day I see any football game AI play well but play with complete, unadulterated integrity will be a momentous day.

Me mate has only recently got a PS3 and FIFA08, he had a little practice and then played me last night. He is generally good at footie games so he says and it showed when we met online. First four matches I won, starting from convincingly (4-0 Spurs vs Newcastle), to not so convincingly (1-0 Argies vs Portugal). Then I was Real Madrid against his Inter Milan. He mauled me. Stepped it up a notch and a half and I just couldn't get the ball to Ruud or Walt from Lost up front. He takes a deserved lead bang on half time and I'm playing shit second half. Until what was probably the 95th minute. Whoomp, Robinho, who I'd sent out to the right wing, cuts in and roofs it home. 1-1, so extra-time. First minute of extra-time, Ruud crosses it, Walt from Lost scores his second with a flying header. He piles on the pressure but to no avail. I'm still speechless at 120 mins and he was not best pleased. Haha.

You had to be there, it was absolutely golden. Best online match so far.

What I don't like about the AI on FIFA is that it only ever seems to score headers, and that the defenders don't seem to make many mistakes/be out of position and that all teams seem to play the same, I want a cup match against Accrington to be easier than one against United...

Me mate has only recently got a PS3 and FIFA08, he had a little practice and then played me last night. He is generally good at footie games so he says and it showed when we met online. First four matches I won, starting from convincingly (4-0 Spurs vs Newcastle), to not so convincingly (1-0 Argies vs Portugal). Then I was Real Madrid against his Inter Milan. He mauled me. Stepped it up a notch and a half and I just couldn't get the ball to Ruud or Walt from Lost up front. He takes a deserved lead bang on half time and I'm playing shit second half. Until what was probably the 95th minute. Whoomp, Robinho, who I'd sent out to the right wing, cuts in and roofs it home. 1-1, so extra-time. First minute of extra-time, Ruud crosses it, Walt from Lost scores his second with a flying header. He piles on the pressure but to no avail. I'm still speechless at 120 mins and he was not best pleased. Haha.

You had to be there, it was absolutely golden. Best online match so far.

Quality mate :)).

What are peoples thoughts on the below which I posted in the Euro 08 thread?
Basically a way around always searching for games and coming up against the top teams all the time...

What about something along the lines of where you select the team you want to play as first before searching for a game?
You can then put in some parameters to say whether you want to play teams within a certain range ie. 2 -3, 3 - 4 star rating, any rating etc.
You can then choose if it is a Premier League game, International, Spanish or again any team.

EDIT: - Just realised I'm in the Euro thread. I was talking more along the lines of FIFA but a similar setup could work in Euro ie. The star rating bit I mentioned.

Just a suggestion which will probably never happen.

Yeah it would be excellent to search for a game or create a game by star limit. Or by country.

star limit yes but county im not too sure about because it will make searching for a game alot harder then before

You could always leave it blank and then it searches for all countries leagues. Don't know why it would make it harder to find a game though if you did put a preferred league in the search criteria?

Like I said, I doubt it will happen anyway. Just wishful thinking.

Why do people keep going on about 'cutback goals'.

What are they and whats so bad about them that everyone keeps harking on about them?
Where you run with a winger from the wing into the box, and then pass across to a striker for a tap in. Most boring and lame goal you could ever score and all it does is shows a lack of skill to score a different type of goal.

It's a really shit way to score, and anyone who does it I avoid playing again but at least it's easier to defend against on FIFA than it is on PES.

Where you run with a winger from the wing into the box, and then pass across to a striker for a tap in. Most boring and lame goal you could ever score and all it does is shows a lack of skill to score a different type of goal.

It's a really shit way to score, and anyone who does it I avoid playing again but at least it's easier to defend against on FIFA than it is on PES.
LOL the people who moan about cutbacks are the same people that don't know how to defend against them. time and time again people try to score like that and fail miserably. i suspect you dont know how to defend it hench why your moaning about it

LOL the people who moan about cutbacks are the same people that don't know how to defend against them. time and time again people try to score like that and fail miserably. i suspect you dont know how to defend it hench why your moaning about it
I do actually, it's just annoying that people try such one-dimensional boring tactics in a game which can have such realistic football. I prefer to play people who play it to have fun and play some good football.

I suspect that you are one of the people who constantly cutbacks just to win?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do actually, it's just annoying that people try such one-dimensional boring tactics in a game which can have such realistic football. I prefer to play people who play it to have fun and play some good football.

I suspect that you are one of the people who constantly cutbacks just to win?
nope. but you don't see me moaning about it. let them play one dimension and just beat the shit out of them online

nope. but you don't see me moaning about it. let them play one dimension and just beat the shit out of them online
You have to admit, it is much better to play people who will pass it around properly and play good football than people who will just pass to the fastest player, leg it and then cutback.

I hardly ever concede a cutback (there's some where they get a lucky bounce or something which can't be stopped) but I just don't understand why they do it.

FIFA 08 can produce some great matches and the passing can make some great goals but this is all gone if you play one-dimentional cutbacks. You may as well just play PES if you only want to cutback.

Oh and I just scored my best goal ever on this game :DD. Early cross from Owen aimed at Viduka, the defender heads it a long way out, it goes behind Emre who does that flick over the head (diagonal low one, not the really high one) and then belts it from about 30/35 yards (on the match facts it was about half way between the edge of the box and half way line) and it goes right into the top corner in off the post. He even watched the replay :), must have been good for someone to let you watch a replay online. I wish I could have recorded it, it was one of my best goals on a football game ever, definitely my best on FIFA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing Be-a-Pro again recently and really enjoying it (except when the greedy b@stards who just run with the ball are on my side). No lag the other day either and it was superb. Unfortunately I was experiencing lag again yesterday so gave up.

I also had some dickheads in the lobby.
When I joined the room they were having a go telling me not to join the team they were in. I told them I would choose whatever team I felt like and who were they to tell me any different. It wasn't a private room so what's the problem? Assholes!
When the game started they were saying things like "I'm not passing to him" and "Isn't he a big man for answering back and hiding behind his mic".
Surely them chopsy fuckers are the ones hiding behind their mics in the first place.
Started having a right go then when I accidentally kicked the ball into touch (due to shitty lag response).

Serious, I'm 32 and can't be assed with this shit. There are some right cocks online. I'd love to play them 1 v 1 and give them a lesson in keep ball.
W@nkers!
Rant over.

Why must there be such a difference between semi-pro and proffesional difficulty level ? ;s Or perhaps its just the case that I suck on fifa haha :b Ive played Pes all my life , but now I think that fifa is teh shit :)

Played this again last night for the first time in ages. Saddens me to say it is better than Euro, but saying that I still won't be playing it again. Three times in a row I had a midfielder on the ball with a winger making a fantastic run into loads of space, pressed through pass ... ... ... *yawn* ... ... ... *come on, do something* ... ... ... midfielder runs into an opposition player without ever attempting to kick the ball, golden opportunity wasted.

You work your arse off to create something and when it's there the reaction times are so awful (online at least) you can't take advantage of it, makes the whole thing pointless IMO. I don't want to have to predict when I should be pressing the button, I just want to press the fucking button.

If they take Euro's reaction times, make it less end-to-end and boot the keepers up the arse, FIFA 09 will be great, but after reading the preview that mentions the super-goalkeepers I'm worried it'll be Euro 08/09.

I agree with you JB, When I played EURO for the first time I thought it was ok, then my mate asked me to play him on Fifa08, then I felt the huge difference and got the impression Fifa was way better.

i have had some games with kev lately, because online 5v5 is still not working properly. when are they gunna sort that shit out?

anyway we both have set manual for all controls and it is such a different game and really enjoyable

dont think i wanna bother with 5v5 until they fix it, because either it does not work properly or there are to many wankers spoiling it

look forward to 2v2 in fifa 09

Doing good on online at the moment, won 8 of me last 10 games which is good for me! Especially when using Tottenham everytime, and my opponents have been from either Bayern, Inter, Chelsea, Man Utd or Barcelona everytime. I have a front 3 of Keane (left), Berbatov and Lennon (right) and have a lot of shots on the angle from the corner of the box after knockdowns from Berba.

The mad AI is the only thing letting me down at the moment, as I'm dominating every game and hitting the woodwork several times when not scoring. I only win by a goal or two though so it's obvious I waste a few chances too. In my two losses, both against Inter, I lost first on pens, then secondly in extra time, I'd dominated 90 minutes with 16 shots on target to the opponent's two, then he got a cheeky lob in and then a tap-in after 651 deflections in the first five minutes of extra-time.

Might be about later if anyone here wants some games (PS3).

Yeah change your settings to manual and its a completey differnt game. Slow build up, taking your time with each pass. Its hard but its given me and Bitter some well better games :D

it works well if the opponent is all manual aswell dave...

i cld imagine playing an assisted player who could close down and counter me quickly, would be horrible but when the other person is with manual

he has to do a controlled passing game aswell... so its all good

I use all manual except semi for shooting as it makes the game more difficult and I find Professional level a competitive one to use rather than needing to play on world class/legendary, that way there's far less shitty underdog AI kicking in, and far less of the generally annoying single player game play :)

Back
Top Bottom