FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

all the defenders made schoolboy errors in that video.

did you see them all slide in trying to defend?

stay on your feet!

:)

@ Kenny M - they probably dumb down the CPU level to the lowest to maximise the chance to show off the skills but I know what you mean.

I'm a little worried about this game now, I hope it is possible to play the game well without having to rely on the skills as I prefer to pass my way to goal rather than dribble.

I don't want to use the skills for more than the odd show off against my 5 year son for example lol!

@ Kenny M - they probably dumb down the CPU level to the lowest to maximise the chance to show off the skills but I know what you mean.

I'm a little worried about this game now, I hope it is possible to play the game well without having to rely on the skills as I prefer to pass my way to goal rather than dribble.

I don't want to use the skills for more than the odd show off against my 5 year son for example lol!

I wouldnt worry. Joe Booth has got his head screwed on right. He knows that people have criticized FIFA in the past for it's overly flamboyant dribbling system - and I believe he will get it spot on. The FIFA series is going to go a long, long way under Booth.

Looks bloody good so far. I hope though it is balanced and doesn't turn into a trick fest. However it's still funny some of the things people nitpick at as if they slow the trailer down and magnify it's size 10x to look for faults. :lol:

Its pretty obvious from my sig that I'm not Fifa's biggest fan but that video is certainly impressive but it does also seems complicated and matches could turn into a showboating fair resulting in a very slow 90mins.

All the stuff that's coming out about PES makes me think "what's new", all the stuff coming out about FIFA fills me with positivity. But I think that's down to the fact I've been disappointed with PES for years, rather than the fact that it's actually disappointing news (everything being said about the gameplay is great).

As soon as I saw that Malouda trick in the last FIFA video though... Man oh man, I can't wait to do that.

Thats exactly how I feel. I haven't bought a FIFA game since 2002 and would class myself as a diehard PES fan.

But there's been little 'evolution' with PES for a few years now whereas FIFA genuinely seems to be trying to innovate. For the first time I'm more excited about FIFA than I am PES. Do I need help?

That shooting video looks awesome and so does that little bit of skill at the end

The skills video is so fluid its unreal, they even have the move van persie did it that friendly cup

i cant wait to try some skills on my mates :)

Its pretty obvious from my sig that I'm not Fifa's biggest fan but that video is certainly impressive but it does also seems complicated and matches could turn into a showboating fair resulting in a very slow 90mins.

yep, absolutely right. btw klose would never do such a move in the last scene. would be something for okocha.
the graphics look great, love the sound in the vid.

What I love about the showboating stuff is that you can play however you want to. Personally, I despise tricks, and the closest thing I do to a trick is that little sideways dribble that's on PES. I prefer to pass the ball. So when you play me, you'll have your own style (trick-loving or not), and I'll have my possession-keeping style. Everyone will have their own style.

EA have already said that if you try and do tricks with every player you'll be beaten, because it's only the great tricks players who can pull off lots of them successfully. The only question for me now is, have they improved the gameplay as a whole, or only added tricks...

Electronic Arts announced today that FIFA 08 will include a new feature called Be A Pro: Online Team Play that allows 10 people anywhere in the world to connect online to play a single match of FIFA 08. This feature will be available to both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game and will be free to download six to eight weeks after the release of the game.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/member/3/blog/3861

Last edited:

Electronic Arts announced today that FIFA 08 will include a new feature called Be A Pro: Online Team Play that allows 10 people anywhere in the world to connect online to play a single match of FIFA 08. This feature will be available to both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game and will be free to download six to eight weeks after the release of the game.

Sounds brilliant. In theory.

What I love about the showboating stuff is that you can play however you want to. Personally, I despise tricks, and the closest thing I do to a trick is that little sideways dribble that's on PES. I prefer to pass the ball. So when you play me, you'll have your own style (trick-loving or not), and I'll have my possession-keeping style. Everyone will have their own style.

EA have already said that if you try and do tricks with every player you'll be beaten, because it's only the great tricks players who can pull off lots of them successfully. The only question for me now is, have they improved the gameplay as a whole, or only added tricks...

I 100% agree with you Mr Bauer .I wonder for like Ronnie ,will those tricks always work ?I mean sometimes defenders are able to stop him :mrgreen: when he tries his stuff so hopefully it'll be the case this time.
Klose never dribbles like that :lmao::lmao: nor Ribery altough being a terrific player

Can't wait for Be A Pro, sound excellent ... in theory like lionel said ;)

There was a list published a few days ago that said FIFA 08 is at Leipzig as well.

We just have to hope something can tempt the WENB boys away from the PES section for ten minutes, but I don't think it's likely. ThomasGOAL would send snipers after them. ;)

Having seen plenty of PES2008 vids this morning, I am not overly hopeful with FIFA08.

PES2008 looks to have added the fuidity and general atmosphere it lacked last time around and those net physics are simply stunning.

FIFA08 still seems a little awkward in its applications and still feels like the ball is sometimes on rails (none more so in the tricks vid)The nets are poor and the players run with an almost "hunched aproach".

FIFA does look stunning and I know its going to be ,the visually best footy game ever, but I am sceptical about the gameplay improvements as there were so many required from FIFA07

Tackling
Heading
Free-kicks
collision
Refereeing

Until I see some gameplay that suggests those issues have been improved or resolved then I am not going to get my expectations at boiling point.

The nets look like they are different but the physics have never reaslistically been like real life,yet PES has got it to a T.

Adding skills is great and I am sure it will make it an even more enjoyable game, but if it becomes a Harlem Globetrotting fest, then it could be its downfall.

I just hope that once purchased I am still playing it 6 months later seeing & creating different goals.

Dr Force, agreed in everything but the first line (the PES2008 have seriously depressed me) and the second-to-last line (EA have said it won't be a skills-fest because only certain players can do them over and over without falling over or otherwise making a tit of themself).

But the meat of your post is what concerns me as well. The tricks look great but if that's the only change to the game then it's not good enough (which is how I feel about PES2008 incidentally, after seeing that gameplay video).

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/814/814458p1.html

US, August 22, 2007 - Electronic Arts kicked off the German Games Convention today with one of the first press conferences of the show.

EA started their conference with an impressive set of stats, stating that over two billion units of Sims games have been sold to date. Yes, that's two billion. They talked about how over half of the new gamers coming into the market today were casual gamers, while showing a picture of an elderly lady playing Wii Sports bowling. They said they would be pushing hard for the casual gamer over the next year, with over 40 games set to launch on Pogo. However, EA also admitted they had to strike a good balance between the casual and the hardcore, and they wouldn't be leaving out the core gamer in their approach.

With that said, they went into some demos of their big upcoming titles for 2007. A brief demo of Skate on the Xbox 360 was up first, which you can read about in our recent preview.

Next up were a few trailers for the next iteration of Need for Speed -- Pro Street -- and Crysis. The Pro Street trailer seemed like it was over almost before it started, and it didn't really show any gameplay. Crysis, on the other hand, made the crowd fall silent in stinky convention anticipation. The new trailer was very cinematic, and started out like a Hollywood movie with full credits. It focused on the ultimate body enhancements in the game, such as maximum strength, maximum armor, and maximum speed. Although short, the trailer was well-received and garnered a round of applause at the end.

A brief world premiere demo of FIFA 08 on the PS3 was up next. They showed off a simulated match of England versus Germany, which of course appealed to the crowd at GC. The demo focused on many of the new signature moves in the game and chaining these moves together into dynamically animated combo moves. EA also announced they would allow players to take videos within the game and upload them to the Internet directly from the game itself. Rounding off the demo was an exclusive announcement of the "Be a Pro" online co-op play, where 10 players can play with one another, controlling up to five players per team. This feature will be a post-release free download.

Rock Band was the next big game EA was showing off. Alex Rigopoulos from Harmonix took the stage to show off what they've been up to for the first time in front of a European audience. Alex mentioned that the game will release this fall in North America and that it would be released in Q1 2008 in Europe. He also said there would be a PS2 version of the game, but it wasn't clear if that was just in Europe or not. Alex made a point to stress that the game would be localized for each region that it was released in, with specific songs for each territory both on the disc and through online downloads. He also announced ten new tracks from the original artists what would appear in the game, including Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, Should I Stay or Should I Go from The Clash, Deep Purple's Highway Star, Cherub Rock from Smashing Pumpkins, and Faith No More's Epic. After the announcements, several rockers -- including Alex -- took the stage and played Are you Gonna be my Girl by Jet.

After that, there was a hearty thanks and goodbye.

A brief world premiere demo of FIFA 08 on the PS3 was up next. They showed off a simulated match of England versus Germany, which of course appealed to the crowd at GC. The demo focused on many of the new signature moves in the game and chaining these moves together into dynamically animated combo moves.
NEED. TO. SEE. THIS. VIDEO.

Dr Force, agreed in everything but the first line (the PES2008 have seriously depressed me) and the second-to-last line (EA have said it won't be a skills-fest because only certain players can do them over and over without falling over or otherwise making a tit of themself).

But the meat of your post is what concerns me as well. The tricks look great but if that's the only change to the game then it's not good enough (which is how I feel about PES2008 incidentally, after seeing that gameplay video).

Jack

The PES gameplay looks improved but only by about 20% IMO, that said its a little more fluid than PES 5.4. The graphics also give an indication of around a 25% improvement but this is miniscule considering we are supposed to be looking at a "true " next gen footy game.

I am not getting too down at the moment because I have not played it and the game is only around 75% complete (although the gameplay is not going to change much)

If FIFA has made the improvements I pointed out whilst polishing the graphics and adding the skills, then it still will be my choice this year.

The danger is though that both FIFA & PES will be average games, a crime IMO considering we are 2 years into next gen (3 if you count the dev teams receiving the Alpha & Beta kits 8 months before launch)

Brilliant news

it seems at least Fifa is trying new things whereas PES hasnt changed much since ISS on the SNES :)

- nice graphics, good presentation (ok, let's forget about the warm up)
- passing, ball physics seem to be improved
- skill animations (Ronnie in arena) MUCH too fast
- no goal, net/keeper animations are shown in the presentation !!!

Back
Top Bottom