FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Some possible news on FIFA 09 that I've just received from a reliable contact... Before you say "here we go again, another 'contact', what's new this time, a stadium editor", it's up to you what you make of this. I'm only telling you what I've heard; but in all honesty, if I read this myself I wouldn't believe it either after last time. So believe it, discard it, do whatever you want with it. ;)

The coding and the database for teams now includes entries for, amongst other things, youth teams. With actual data (not randomised names). This would suggest that the new project lead, who used to create the recent Championship Manager games, is going to do as predicted and add more management features to FIFA. Rock on.

Bad news? They are only included for top-flight teams at the moment. This could be because it's a new thing that they haven't fully researched yet for all teams, it could be because it's not going to be implemented this year (although with a new project lead each year it's unlikely), it could even mean top-flight teams only again this year.

Last edited:

Some possible news on FIFA 09 that I've just received from a reliable contact... Before you say "here we go again, another 'contact', what's new this time, a stadium editor", it's up to you what you make of this. I'm only telling you what I've heard; but in all honesty, if I read this myself I wouldn't believe it either after last time. So believe it, discard it, do whatever you want with it. ;)

The coding and the database for teams now includes entries for, amongst other things, youth teams. With actual data (not randomised names). This would suggest that the new project lead, who used to create the recent Championship Manager games, is going to do as predicted and add more management features to FIFA. Rock on.

Bad news? They are only included for top-flight teams at the moment. This could be because it's a new thing that they haven't fully researched yet for all teams, it could be because it's not going to be implemented this year (although with a new project lead each year it's unlikely), it could even mean top-flight teams only again this year.

Well if this was PES I would say I don't believe it. But since this is Fifa, I'll give you another chance. Mess this one up and all bets are off. ;))

Fuck stadiums editors

if i wanted that i would learn how to use Autocad

Stick to the gameplay ffs

what other info do you have? i think a cool management feature would be to have the ability to pump your youth players with steroids and HGH so they are the best in the world.. but if you get caught they get bannend, but you could take the chance if you wanted, the chances of getting caught depend on how much you spend on your team doctors and team security..

Fuck stadiums editors

if i wanted that i would learn how to use Autocad

Stick to the gameplay ffs

I largely agree in that whilst playing a match, you don't really see anything of the stadium anyway. I'm largely oblivious as to which stadium I'm playing in except the ones with the nicest lighting effects.

That said, I would love to have additional smaller stadia with varying pitch sizes and more importantly, varying surfaces which affect the ball and even player behaviour. The geometry of the stadium could also affect the air flow (if they introduce wind into the game).

I guess the purported weather effects in EURO2008 are a step in the right direction.

what other info do you have? i think a cool management feature would be to have the ability to pump your youth players with steroids and HGH so they are the best in the world.. but if you get caught they get bannend, but you could take the chance if you wanted, the chances of getting caught depend on how much you spend on your team doctors and team security..

Sorry, are you actually mental?

i'd be happy with a stadium editor

i hate playing in my crappy div 2 stadium with cardif city while my staff upgrade tells me i have a level 9 stadium and im packing the fans in.

Something along the lines of the EA manager games would be nice where you choose a style of stadium and then have to wait a few months while it is built, all the while you have less fans in the ground so less money AND you get a nice view of scaffolding during your games on the constructing side

===

Bit of a rant now after getting back into fifa especially online

I want them to sort out the AI -- they boasted that the ai could make millions of decisions a second during a game... but in my experience it seems 95% of the decisions are 'stand around and ignore the ball'

If the match is an AI vs AI match then the whole team will act according the the ball - but as soon as you take control your ai teammates go into zombie mode and will stand around watching you run after a ball as it rolls right by them --- and you're unable to switch to them to control them as the game either targets another player on the pitch or its locked you onto the player until you get the ball.

for every great AI run down a wing or down the centre for a through ball there are maybe 5 or 6 stupid runs directly towards a defender instead of into the HUGE gap - or a run down the wing that suddenly stops and the player will jog back to the halfway line

Also ive found a problem due to my tactics with fifa 08

if a loose ball goes near my defense and it looks like my opponent will get to it first - ill play an offside trap to move my defense up the pitch (although they SHOULD move to the ball anyway) - the problem though is as soon as you initiate the trap they will blindly run horizontally left or right on the screen a few yards completely ignoring the ball!

I also hate the little jig your players do as you switch between them when they don't have the ball --- its like the ai was pressing in one direction... and as soon as you take control and press in a different one the player animation kicks in and they do a little back step forward step usually allowing your opponent to walk right by you.

And online tackling - i played an interactive league game today as newcastle vs liverpool --- in my first game i beat some poor sod 5-1 and it was a really fair match --- then i started another match and the guy was sliding around like the pitch was covered in grease - i don't think he made a single X tackle and he constantly took my men down without touching the ball and ended up winning 1-0

Last edited:

I want them to sort out the AI -- they boasted that the ai could make millions of decisions a second during a game... but in my experience it seems 95% of the decisions are 'stand around and ignore the ball'

Agree completely. Personally, I do not believe that every AI player is making 1,000 (or however many they claimed) decisions a second. Even if they are, it's so ineffective in producing convincing AI behaviour that it's a worthless feature.

for every great AI run down a wing or down the centre for a through ball there are maybe 5 or 6 stupid runs directly towards a defender instead of into the HUGE gap - or a run down the wing that suddenly stops and the player will jog back to the halfway line

On the subject of runs, when you trigger on "off-the-ball" run, these runs are always in straight line parallel to the touch-line. They never make runs at any angle at all. Even though we can use the tactical screens to set up arrows for each individual player, they only ever make off the ball runs that are straight forwards. EA must address this.

I put FIFA on at half five this evening, played a match against the computer. I picked Chelsea to give myself a chance, and played against Barnsley. Final score was 1-0 to Barnsley, how fucking unrealistic is this stupid shitty game...

LOL, I'm playing manager mode as Wednesday, everything on manual including shooting, amazing how much harder it makes the game, previous manager mode I was in my 9th season with all on semi except through balls and long passing and had already won a number of trophies (6 or 7 if I recall with 4 of them being the league cup) and that was on world class, on manual professional I'm currently third from bottom and managed only 1 win in the first 9 matches (9th match was finally a win), really enjoying the game, even after 9,000 minutes of single player already :)

Don't know about you lot but one of the offline issues that really annoys me is how effective forwards can be at tackling - this alone makes Pro level ridiculously easy and also mars World Class at times as I normally can strip the ball off of the CPU defenders several times a game with a striker :l usually leaving great scoring opportunities.
This doesn't happen very often at all in reality so it leaves you with the dilemna of wanting to play the game as a sim but knowing that if you just adopt the TP tactic and constantly use pressure with your front line the whole game that you'll almost assuredly create several (mostly unrealistic) chances taking the ball clean of a CB with your striker who then usually has a clear path to goal.
What really compounds how irritating this can be is how uneven the tackling balance is and comparatively how difficult it is sometimes for your best defenders to take the ball off of the opposing attackers :-x so while Luca Toni is upfront making tackles left and right all game, Fabio Cannavaro is at the back at times running in circles unable to get the ball off of San Marino's forwards :roll:

Last edited:

Can you actually edit existing players' appearences ? I can edit their stats, but not their hair etc... Meaning Mexes looks like Cufre and Scholes has yellow hair.

I don't think I've installed any update but the online substitutions bug has been fixed for more than a week?...

Back
Top Bottom