FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I played a few games afterwards with a Premiership side and found that it was too easy. :eh: So I switched to a Championship side, Burnley, and I found that the balance was pretty good.

As soon as I use a League One or Two side, it just gets too much. It's nothing to do with how good or bad I am at the game, I can score when I want to. It's the fact that you can't even take the legs away from the opponent when you're angry, which shows me how shit the game is offline, and once you see how much a game can cheat you where is the motivation to carry on? That makes it no better or worse than "the other game" offline.

Three times last night I had instances where I pressed shoot and the player PHYSICALLY STOPPED MOVING ALTOGETHER, he was originally jogging forward and then suddenly he stopped COMPLETELY for nearly two seconds. Then he'd kick the ball from standing still, and it would bounce off a defender for a corner. I couldn't believe what I was seeing - I mean that's even worse than the cheats in, dare I say it, PES. I couldn't get over it, I've never seen it before in plenty of games and suddenly the game was totally infuriating.

If I do have the urge again I'll be playing as a Championship team, but for the few games that I played with them I wasn't having fun. Just constantly trying to stop the exploits rather than stop the opposition's good play.

I played an MLS Open Cup just after Christmas and was having a great match against...hmm...I can't remember! But it finished 3-3 at FT, with us BOTH scoring in injury time! Then it went to extra time and the CPU was fucking untouchable :mad:. I haven't played single player since.

When I get my recording studio set up I will be giving it another try though :)

You have to position your player with the jostle button I think its called. On new Alternative it is LB on the controller.

You keep hold of it and get into the right postion - try and get in front of the player and keep your finger on the header button. I usually press the header button just before I get into position.

Hope that helps.
...just for posterity, in case any other header-challenged folks drop into this thread.

My problem turned out to be I was trying to head shots like in PES, where you need the quickest of taps to get off a good shot. It needs to be held more in FIFA, and once I sorted that out, my heading and volleying are back in form.

Cheers.

The fact that it's sometimes hard to get the ball from the cpu isn't that bad for me. It's not THAT unrealistic, I just wish I could do the same thing more often myself.

But what IS destroying the whole offline experience for me is your own team AI. I really don't see anyone else complain about this though which probably means it will be the same in 09. I mentioned it earlier in this very thread before, that your own AI doesn't help you out. Your own team members AI seems to be a very downscaled version that allow them to take their "correct" positions on the pitch but that's about it. They hardly make any runs and they don't try to defend at all. If you're controlling a midfielder and your opponent is outside your pen area, your defenders couldn't care less about him. They mostly just stand in the same position. They move somewhat with the flow of the ball but there's no aggression at all. I don't like the fact that I have to press "shoot" to get someone to react, the AI should be good enough to realise this, like the cpu AI does. And pressing shoot just makes them run straight at the ball, often making them run past and get behind the player.

Lets say you're out on the wing trying to defend against a cross and they get it past you. You then switch to another player and you have no chance of getting him in position (because your retarded AI doesn't really care that much about the opponents), or you just get the wrong player, and they always score because the other players in your team doesn't do shit. Even if one of your defender accidentally stands right next to the cunt who score with the header. Oh no please don't jump, that's good, just fucking stand there like a fucking asshole. Man that piss me off...

I haven't played FIFA in years so maybe this is how it has always been. I'm used to the way it works in PES where your team members actually do try to head a ball away even if you're the guy next to them out of position.

I used to always say that if I wanted to get really pissed off I would put in PES 6 and play a tournament against the cpu. But this game fucking beats it, I'm pissed off just thinking about the AI. I would be fine if I could play "be a pro"/fixed (or semi-fixed like in PES, best option ever) in any mode, because there the AI is what you expect it to be.

Still it's a good game, but I guess the reason people get so upset is because they see the potential of the game but EA just had to implement stuff to piss you off.

The fact that it's sometimes hard to get the ball from the cpu isn't that bad for me. It's not THAT unrealistic, I just wish I could do the same thing more often myself.

But what IS destroying the whole offline experience for me is your own team AI. I really don't see anyone else complain about this though which probably means it will be the same in 09. I mentioned it earlier in this very thread before, that your own AI doesn't help you out. Your own team members AI seems to be a very downscaled version that allow them to take their "correct" positions on the pitch but that's about it. They hardly make any runs and they don't try to defend at all. If you're controlling a midfielder and your opponent is outside your pen area, your defenders couldn't care less about him. They mostly just stand in the same position. They move somewhat with the flow of the ball but there's no aggression at all. I don't like the fact that I have to press "shoot" to get someone to react, the AI should be good enough to realise this, like the cpu AI does. And pressing shoot just makes them run straight at the ball, often making them run past and get behind the player.

Lets say you're out on the wing trying to defend against a cross and they get it past you. You then switch to another player and you have no chance of getting him in position (because your retarded AI doesn't really care that much about the opponents), or you just get the wrong player, and they always score because the other players in your team doesn't do shit. Even if one of your defender accidentally stands right next to the cunt who score with the header. Oh no please don't jump, that's good, just fucking stand there like a fucking asshole. Man that piss me off...

I haven't played FIFA in years so maybe this is how it has always been. I'm used to the way it works in PES where your team members actually do try to head a ball away even if you're the guy next to them out of position.

I used to always say that if I wanted to get really pissed off I would put in PES 6 and play a tournament against the cpu. But this game fucking beats it, I'm pissed off just thinking about the AI. I would be fine if I could play "be a pro"/fixed (or semi-fixed like in PES, best option ever) in any mode, because there the AI is what you expect it to be.

Still it's a good game, but I guess the reason people get so upset is because they see the potential of the game but EA just had to implement stuff to piss you off.

I pretty much agree with you on that stuff. The AI is just so lame, they will let the ball go right by then if you dont take over the player, which I find extremely annoying. Part of the reason I cant take them over is because when I try to change players, the game gives me the wrong guy! That is a huge problem in this game, one that certainly needs to be addressed. And it has cost me many goals, where I assume I going to get the guy who next to the ball, but instead it gives me the final defender and then I move him out of position and cant get him back into position because the gamplay and reactions times of the players are god awful.

Decided to give this game a try online tonight seeing as you lot seem to rave about it. I played 4 games, 3 of them were almost unplayable because of lag and my players "shooting" 10 seconds after pressing the shoot button. 3 of the players chose Barcelona (suprise) and the other guy chose Man United which was a lag-free game and really enjoyable. I won 1-0 because of this - I just can't handle the amount of shite that comes with playing this game online. I have a MEGA-FAST (yes I just said "mega") cable broadband connection so it's definately not my end. I really, really want to like this online but I just can't. The PES games were always more exciting online (especially PES5).

Anyway, what do I need to do with the DNF thingy when creating a session so I avoid laggy players?

Last edited:

i cannot believe u guys are still going on about this game, i got bored with it after a month, u need to get out of the house more

i cannot believe u guys are still going on about this game, i got bored with it after a month, u need to get out of the house more

I get paid to work from home and play FIFA all day so neh neh neh neh neh!

istockphoto_667615_to_stick_out_one_s_tongue.jpg

How do you get paid to work from home?? Arghh, that is my dream. So tired of the 8-5 shift.

Anyway, what do I need to do with the DNF thingy when creating a session so I avoid laggy players?

DNF is nothing to do with lag, it's the percentage of the time that people don't finish their matches. If you are getting bad lag on FIFA then I'd say it's a worry, as 95% of the games I play are completely lag free and just like an offline game. If I do find myself in a laggy game, it's usually because I'm playing someone from Australia or Mexico, in which case I just quit the first time I get the ball so no result goes down either way.

WE need to get out of the house more?!? What kind of life do you lead then if you're spending your time posting on a board of a game that you got bored with a month ago?! :-s

Last edited:

Played a Brillant almost lag-free online game earlier against a geezer who chose Arsenal and I was Man United. The game was fantastic and in After Extra time ended 3-3. We had just started Penalties. He scored with V. Persie.... Up steps Tevez... He scores... then CRASSSSHHH!! the game froze! what the fuck is wrong with EA? this use to happen at random last year during FIFA 07 and I see the same thing still happens with 08... why?

Played some brilliant online games earlier! I totally dominated all of them, NO lag at all. I won a few too.

Tried 5v5 - NEVER again. Played with a bunch of French guys who just did not pass or have a clue how the beautiful game should be played. They would get the ball and try to run the whole pith with it.

Played some brilliant online games earlier! I totally dominated all of them, NO lag at all. I won a few too.

Tried 5v5 - NEVER again. Played with a bunch of French guys who just did not pass or have a clue how the beautiful game should be played. They would get the ball and try to run the whole pith with it.

Are you taking the Pith!!! :)

No I was being serious mate - had a great time online, was real smooth. 5v5 was terrible though but I guess it would be good if I was playing with a loada guys from my friends list or something. :)

No I was being serious mate - had a great time online, was real smooth. 5v5 was terrible though but I guess it would be good if I was playing with a loada guys from my friends list or something. :)

I was joking - you said he ran up the Pith instead of Pitch. I made a funny.........thats debatable I suppose :)

Don't you just love it when you score an injury time equalizer and then go on to win it in extra time? :)

I have to say I love this game, even though I used to be a PES addict. Online is great (offline not so, I can barely win in the hardest level! I just can't bring myself to turn the difficulty down since I was always playing the highest one in PES).

If ever you play against Man Utd online, check out the name, might be me. :)

I tinkered with this game after getting home from the Man United v Newcastle match late last night (we won 6-0!) and realised something:

IF you want to change kit style, boot colours, names etc of your players for manager mode you CAN do so. Basically edit the players as you would normally, save a "new squad" (call it whatever you want), start a NEW manager mode and voila! You're players will be edited.

It's a bit annoying that you HAVE to start a new manager mode and that you can't edit a player half-way through the season but it's something I suppose. It really annoyed me seeing Hargreaves, Scholes and Rooney with the wrong coloured boots. It must be my OCD.

I have clicked into gear again and im playing some decent football in my manager mode. Im now doing the German League as Bayern Munich. I have completed the Premier League, Spanish La Liga and the Serie A leagues. I spend most of the time moving my players with the LB button to slow dribble them. I hardly ever use RT to sprint unless im clear and have space in front of me.

this game is incredible online, screw playing against AI, this game gives me a feeling and experience Pro E/WE never ever gave me. It seems I am pretty awesome though as I am murdering people at this game :D

Might be the skills I picked up with the tortorous cheating AI in winning eleven, I guess I just learnt to never give the ball away and take nay opening or chance I get to score a goal. PES kinda forced you to play that way to beat the bullshit builtin scripts.

Back
Top Bottom