FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Just played an unranked game Italy vs Denmark (me) and fifa had set my controller to "classic" but I didn't want to pause the game so I played on like that to half time, crossing when I was free and tackling accidentally all over the place. Changed to "new" at half time and scored in 50th min and he quits. This is probably the biggest reason I don't like playing over live.

Do only ranked games show under statistics? and there is this "skill level" (not sure this is the name in english version) that says 1 (I think) for me. Does this mean I suck and I need to play ranked games to get that up? Because sometimes the 5 vs 5 says there's no game to join with my skill level, so I figure it's because it thinks I'm really bad (or maybe it's just because of problems with ea servers).

And another question: If I play a game in the interactive league and my opponent quits, do I get a win for that or does it not count at all? Because if people can just quit I wont bother with it.

If you opponent quits then you get a win in ranked and interactive matches, yes :)

That's good to hear. That way if they quit it will almost feel better because I know I pissed them off.

cabb2bffb0.jpg

Proof of mine and Kevs demolition of some guy and his mate on Live earlier :)

The best thing about this is we only had 10 shots :)

Noted some people arent as wise to Jokes as others. I guess im one of the unfortunate ones. I often find it hard to tell whether someone is joking or not..... Go easy on me.
Serious question (honestly), do you have that thing where you can't tell if people are joking or not? I forget what it's called but my nephew has it. Damn, what's it called?

Just played FIFA on single player because the servers were fucked up.

Never, ever, ever, EVER, E-V-E-R again.

What a pile of fucking shit the game is offline. Weird, because I didn't think it was too bad the last time I played it offline (a week or so before Christmas), but I just played five games in manager mode and I can safely say that I will never play it offline again. I was fucking furious at the end - still am. I think this is the angriest a game has ever made me.

On Pro difficulty, I got so frustrated I was trying to hack their men down and get red cards. It won't even let you do that, they twist and turn and pirouette around you. Pile of shit. Pile of fucking, steaming, stinking shit.

What the fuck is it about football games that makes them force the CPU to be a bunch of cheating cunts? Why does it have to be so ludicrous? What the fuck is wrong with these twat programmers?

I hate that there's no football or football management game I can play in single-player because it cheats out of its arse or it's boring as fuck.

Last edited:

What a pile of fucking shit the game is offline. Weird, because I didn't think it was too bad the last time I played it offline (a week or so before Christmas), but I just played five games in manager mode and I can safely say that I will never play it offline again. I was fucking furious at the end - still am. I think this is the angriest a game has ever made me.

On Pro difficulty, I got so frustrated I was trying to hack their men down and get red cards. It won't even let you do that, they twist and turn and pirouette around you. Pile of shit. Pile of fucking, steaming, stinking shit.

What the fuck is it about football games that makes them force the CPU to be a bunch of cheating cunts? Why does it have to be so ludicrous? What the fuck is wrong with these twat programmers?

I hate that there's no football or football management game I can play in single-player because it cheats out of its arse or it's boring as fuck.

WE9:LE still keeps me playing ML in single player. Manages to keep my interest, although I lately have been taking some intermittent breaks to keep it from being too "old" (have been playing PES5/WE9 for a long time after all).

FIFA08 is nice in so many ways, but on the higher difficulty levels, it can become ridiculous when you are chasing an opponent, and never being able to disturb him and cause him to loose the ball, be just twists and turns and always keeps up with your pace even though you don't have to control the ball. PES has always been better when it comes to pressuring players and causing them to loose balance and trip a little and such (PES5 was slightly harsh on the fouls perhaps and the refs a bit too much, but it is incredibly preferable since you then atleast can stop an opponent as the cost of a freekick).

I usually spot gameplay flaws fairly easily and what needs fixing, but here I have yet to figure out exactly what needs fixing in FIFA. I think it is just the fact that the opponent can turn and such without you being able to intercept even though you are right on their tail. Chasing an opponent, even a slower one, in a straight line would be hard for a defender in real life since you then would need to get past him before having access to the ball. But as soon as he makes a turn or a direction change, you would have the upper hand since you would almost always be able to "outmove" him and get a better position to bother him after he has turned. Yet in FIFA the opponent can turn and such and your players rarely are able to cut between the player and the ball when they expose the side as they turn.

Needs improving definitely, regardless of difficulty level. It's just not realistic, atleast have your player regularly throwing a leg out at the opponent so he stumbles and gets a freekick. As long as they can't go on minute-long runs just refusing to pass and wasting time.

I'm into my 8th season now, moved up to world class after winning the Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and EFA cup on Professional with Sheffield Wednesday, still enjoying it, it's all about know how to counteract the AI's playing style and finding ways to be successful in your own style :)

Serious question (honestly), do you have that thing where you can't tell if people are joking or not? I forget what it's called but my nephew has it. Damn, what's it called?
Yes mate I have problems telling if someone is joking or not (mostly on Forums like these where you cant see or hear the way something is being expressed). In real life I dont tend to have problems knowing if someone is joking, but I dont tend to make too many wise cracks.

@ JB's Post about single player, Thats basically how I felt the other day (if you look at my post about me doing Manager Mode with Inter Milan) the game played like a crock of shit! I did exactly what you did and resorted to fouling the fuck out of them.... well when I ACTUALLY could make contact with them that was!

huh.jpg

just messing around DJ no hard feelings :freak:

Last edited:

I will still hold out hope for an improved responsetime as the difference between the demo and the retail was really big. If they can manage that in a couple of months they can easily improve it some more while focussing on the MM and presentation side. Hopefully anfield will actually be near the pitch instead of too far away and we get to play in more away matches.
Old Trafford looks great though don't it?;)

Man and you say i got anger issues?:lol:

DJ DOC4 is the Mr Spock of evo-web..it's a joke Doc you won't get it! This:lol: means i'm joking.

The thing is Pepper JB is correct with what he has written.

But he's not correct that's the thing, it's simply that his current ability of playing isn't of a sufficient standard to compete against the AI at the professional skill level (same as mine wasn't when I first bought the game) and thus the experience is a negative one for him and he's frustrated by it, hell when I first got it I had to start on amateur I was doing that badly at it, now 310 matches into my manager mode career professional is too easy for me, as I just said I won 4 trophies in the last season with Sheffield Wednesday.

I have only played COD4 online once, if I suddenly jumped online now against people who've been playing it daily online since release I would get absolutely slaughtered, and I'd get frustrated and I'd rant and rave about how annoying and shit the game is, but again that's simply due to my own inability due to lack of practice.

yeah i would have to agree, fifa 08 has finally clicked with me. its taken months but its finally happened. im playing on professional and am finally winning regularly and feel like i am in control most of the time. at one point i swore off the game and switched to the 2k8 games for sweet relief, fifa was just too frustrating but now after giving it another chance i have a new lease of life!

firstly i would recommend switching to 10 minute halves. fifa simulates the ebb and flow of a real game like no other and i feel you need this much time to create enough chances to reach realistic score lines. i was stuck with endless 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 results. since changing to longer halves i have been averaging at least 2 goals, my last game i beat milan 6-0 with juventus. the game before that was 3-2, then 3-1, 2-1 etc. much more exciting and realistic.

and yes the cpu appears to cheat but you just have to ride out those instances and give yourself a chance to hit back. eg. longer halves. (10 minutes might seem long but considering each match on NBA 2k8 takes nearly an hour i dont seem to notice)

secondly i think you need to really rock the left and right triggers. the right stick is good in moderation but is a great way to lose the ball in crowded areas. with the triggers you can keep close control and keep possession longer whilst making short bursts. using this method i am able to give myself more time in the box, finding space for a shot myself or a team mate.

also mix up your tactics, before hand i just charged down the wings trying to cross with very little success. if you mix it up with quick passes, short dribbles in the box, a few lofted balls forward and then crosses you WILL have success! trust me Jack i know the frustration your feeling, i was there. give it a rest for a while and then come back and try and start fresh.

still saying all this i realize the game is far from perfect and i am really hoping they address the issues for the 09 edition. the cpu does seem to gift itself free kicks around the box which it scores most of the time, also the ref does seem to be biased towards them. i played for months before being given a penalty but now i have had a few recently. still, for all its warts and stupid little annoyances, fifa 08 is easily the best footy game ever created. for once EA have released a game that warrants a full years worth of investment and enjoyment.

and i'm still confused when i see such average review scores for fifa and still really high ones for pro evo. eg. games master: fifa 75% and pro evo 94% are all these publications just pro evo fanboys? i truly think they might be! hopefully by next year they will wake up to themselves and spend a little more time with fifa understanding its nuances. cheers guys!!

firstly i would recommend switching to 10 minute halves. fifa simulates the ebb and flow of a real game like no other and i feel you need this much time to create enough chances to reach realistic score lines.

and yes the cpu appears to cheat but you just have to ride out those instances and give yourself a chance to hit back. eg. longer halves. (10 minutes might seem long but considering each match on NBA 2k8 takes nearly an hour i dont seem to notice)

secondly i think you need to really rock the left and right triggers. the right stick is good in moderation but is a great way to lose the ball in crowded areas. with the triggers you can keep close control and keep possession longer whilst making short bursts. using this method i am able to give myself more time in the box, finding space for a shot myself or a team mate.

also mix up your tactics, before hand i just charged down the wings trying to cross with very little success. if you mix it up with quick passes, short dribbles in the box, a few lofted balls forward and then crosses you WILL have success! trust me Jack i know the frustration your feeling, i was there. give it a rest for a while and then come back and try and start fresh.

still saying all this i realize the game is far from perfect and i am really hoping they address the issues for the 09 edition. the cpu does seem to gift itself free kicks around the box which it scores most of the time, also the ref does seem to be biased towards them. i played for months before being given a penalty but now i have had a few recently. still, for all its warts and stupid little annoyances, fifa 08 is easily the best footy game ever created. for once EA have released a game that warrants a full years worth of investment and enjoyment.

and i'm still confused when i see such average review scores for fifa and still really high ones for pro evo. eg. games master: fifa 75% and pro evo 94% are all these publications just pro evo fanboys? i truly think they might be! hopefully by next year they will wake up to themselves and spend a little more time with fifa understanding its nuances. cheers guys!!

Funnily enough I also play 10 min halves and also manipulate the triggers when dribbling, using new alternative the left trigger is to stop the ball dead and I mix that in with my dribbles to change direction much quicker, good way to draw a foul, dribble, press L2, change direction, continue dribble, practice and you do it all in one motion, it's a little bit similar to how Aaron Lennon dribbles, erratic stop start dribble in multiple directions......

Yeah, I have found myself using the Close Control Trigger (L on my setup), to really help myself control the ball and it is a good way of turning on a sixpence and shooting off in another direction leaving the defender for dead :D

I also love the raking diagonal manual lob pass from right back to left wing, or left back to right wing. Combine this with using the "Opposite Wing Attack" tactic on the d-pad and you can find a lot of room at times. And that's one thing defenders don't like - pacey wingers with time and space! :D

Back
Top Bottom