FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

So I've had some pretty decent hours on 08 since I picked it up (probably 18 - 25 hours or so) almost, entirely offline 1 v 1 matches.

Four words.

Best. Football. Game. Ever.

Is it perfect..? Nope. Not at all - but for every shortcoming, there's three or four things I love.

Now this is coming from a DIE HARD PES WHORE - who, for many years, has mercilessly (and rightfully so I'd claim) heckled any acquaintance who has played FIFA over PES.

The biggest hump to get over is that it's not PES. You can't play it like PES. If you do, you'll be frustrated and pissy. You have to play it like, to me, real football - you have to BUILD. Once you start doing that, it's incredibly rewarding.

My biggest niggles thus far would be the fact that I cannot play a good 1-2 pass (I might just need to work on that), and that the "power meter" continues to build a bit _after_ you release the button.

The gripes about lack of responsiveness, after my first 20 or so hours of gameplay, really do (for me) seem to come down to a quite good implementation of physics in the game.

Players have weight, they don't stop on a dime and change directions because, well, they can't. I've really come to love the extra "weight" players have, and find myself incorporating those dynamics into how I play.

Finally, I only had a chance to play it a bit, but the 5 v 5 online mode is ridiculously fun. What a great implementation!

After playing a few matches, I think 5 v 5 is probably better than 11 v 11, as with 5 v 5, there's enough AI players so that your side holds some semblance of shape at almost all times and in doing so, keeps it as team football - there's always a couple of players where they _should_ be. I think 11 v 11 would, in almost every match, see squads completely lose their shape and degenerate into eleven matches of 1 v 1.

Anyhow, I'm having ridiculous amounts of fun over here in the States, and will be doing my part (I can't believe I'm saying this) to turn other folks onto how damn good FIFA 08 is...

Cheers.

Yeah, it's taking me awhile to adjust to FIFA. I am getting my ass handed to me every game so far. As noted above, playing as I did for Winning Eleven means a lot of intercepted passes!

I can concur with the player weight though. You can't change directions on a dime, with every player it's different. Very realistic IMO. Though I am getting extremely frustrated since it seems like the cpu tackles me consistently without fouling me, yet I always foul the cpu. (I don't slide tackle very often)

The game is awesome though, just irritating since I am learning to play all over again when on winning eleven, 5 star wasn't bad at all!

Someone mentioned on the EA forum that to get the 5v5 update for their PS3 version they booted up the PS3, then put in Fifa, rather than booting up the PS3 with Fifa already inserted, no idea what difference that makes but then I don't have a PS3 :)

There's an update out today on Xbox Live for FIFA 08.

Any idea what it's for, or is it just to fix the absolute balls-up which was last night?

Jesus Christ, something weird going on here.

I put dad's 360 on and it did the console update. No problems. Then I put the FIFA disc in and it said there was an update available for FIFA (100% definitely, it said "this game requires an update" as opposed to "this console requires an update").

Just put the disc in mine (already console-updated), no request for a FIFA update. :eh:

AND, I STILL CAN'T GET INTO THE LEAGUE!!

"An Xbox Live membership limitation does not allow you to use this feature."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

I am now officially sick to the back teeth of the fucking people who constantly pick Barcelona. I must spend more time looking at the team selection screen and then quitting as some cocklord picks the invincible team full of cunts than actually playing matches lately, its fucking stupid!!

Quick question. Every time i play 2 player on 1 console i have to change the control setup for player 2 to New. Is there anyway to set this as default for the second player 'cos it gets annoying having to change every time ?

Long way round is to create a new profile on the xbox console and then sign in as player 2 with the profile, then the controller settings can be saved.

Jesus Christ, something weird going on here.

I put dad's 360 on and it did the console update. No problems. Then I put the FIFA disc in and it said there was an update available for FIFA (100% definitely, it said "this game requires an update" as opposed to "this console requires an update").

Just put the disc in mine (already console-updated), no request for a FIFA update. :eh:
Nine hours later, I clear out my hard drive cache trying to get FIFA to let me into the league, and I'm told there is an update available. Finally. So, will it let me into the league now?

WILL IT FUCK.

It's not the console, it's the Live account. Tried on a different console, same result. Doesn't happen on any other game either, which says to me it's an EA thing.

We've got two Xbox 360s in the same house here, I wonder if it's a weird and wonderful EA technique to combat piracy or something. Two 360s on one IP, fuck them up. Legitimate users or not.

They won't be on one IP, unless you only plug one in at a time into the same port?

They are assigned different IPs in the home network but still show the same IP outside of the network. If I remember from my time at college.

It's something weird, that's for sure. I'll be ringing MS shortly.

Is there any way of not getting the update yet? Some people say it is fucking some things up?

I haven't played on my xbox since the update - so do you have to update it?

Back
Top Bottom