FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Yep, 50% think the manager mode AI is better and can now win on professional where before they were losing. 50% don't notice the difference. An EA guy has said he will find out the changelist but you know what EA are like, I'm expecting him to ignore all correspondence from now on.

It was included with the 5v5 update. If you're playing on 360 then it would force you to update before you play online, so if you can play online then you must have it.

Yea, I'm sure you get points for ranked matches.

only if you hit a landmark on the in game achievements - ie. Scoring 100 goals, 250 goals, getting 20 MotMs with English or Spanish teams etc. Which y
takes fucking ages. The avatar points should be able to be used for unlockables. Would make things so much better and attainable.

Just bought FIFA 2008 for PS3. Last winning eleven game I played was WE9. Fifa has always seemed floaty to me, but, I am still enjoying it. I have only been playing on professional and getting beat every game. \\:o/

I think I just need to get used to the game and relaxed feel when I am on the ball. It's nice to see how far EA has come being that the last Fifa I played was FIFA 2002!:shock:

Winning Eleven felt more solid for some reason though?

I am noticing a lot of my passes getting intercepted though. Obviously I have to get used to this game.

Also, every game, the CPU will have a throw-in that it heads out of bounds. Oh, and I see running out of bounds more frequently than I would expect, rarely for animations and usually just because it ran out of bounds!

It's minor and doesn't take away from the gameplay.

Just bought FIFA 2008 for PS3. Last winning eleven game I played was WE9. Fifa has always seemed floaty to me, but, I am still enjoying it. I have only been playing on professional and getting beat every game. \\:o/

I think I just need to get used to the game and relaxed feel when I am on the ball. It's nice to see how far EA has come being that the last Fifa I played was FIFA 2002!:shock:

Winning Eleven felt more solid for some reason though?

I am noticing a lot of my passes getting intercepted though. Obviously I have to get used to this game.

Also, every game, the CPU will have a throw-in that it heads out of bounds. Oh, and I see running out of bounds more frequently than I would expect, rarely for animations and usually just because it ran out of bounds!

It's minor and doesn't take away from the gameplay.

On the thrown-ins if you pressure the person receiving the ball then they will more times than not, put the ball out. Let them receive it, and problem mostly solved.

Yep, 50% think the manager mode AI is better and can now win on professional where before they were losing. 50% don't notice the difference. An EA guy has said he will find out the changelist but you know what EA are like, I'm expecting him to ignore all correspondence from now on.

HAHA!
thats exactly whats happening with my EA contact! :lol:

On the thrown-ins if you pressure the person receiving the ball then they will more times than not, put the ball out. Let them receive it, and problem mostly solved.

Ah, heh, so I gotta let the computer pass it in so that the AI won't fumble up blatantly.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I have seen the computer do pass backs to reset the play. I will put heavy pressure on the mid-field, just to see how the AI will react, but, the CPU ball handler will hold on for dear life, just trying to move forward and not just pass back to his open defenders to attempt to open up the play. lol

I am playing on professional... please tell me this doesn't happen frequently?

I see, forward pass, forward pass, try to get the ball to the wings and cross it in... the CPU is pretty consistent with this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack,
I'm with you mate, every time I play Fifa with my mates I see different goals. I've been an avid PES fan and bought every game since ISS Pro on PS1 but this year its shite ! I bought it just to see for myself but have returned the game out of disgust. This patch was never going to work for me as it wouldn't have changed the gameplay or the fact that the goalies are awful. Don't get me started on the crossing !!

If EA just continue on their current path then PES will never catch up. EA needs to include weather, multi-player league system (so you can control every team if you so wish), enable us to edit everything including stadiums and giving us the option to choose stadiums before each game. Also I would like to see trophies when I win them ! If some of the above are included and response time is improved then I will never but another PES and that's something I never thought I'd say !!

Bazza

Hey guys i know this isnt the best place to ask this question but im considering going back to console gaming after being a PC gamer and was wondering which would be a better choice the PS3 or 360? just your thoughts really is all i want.

I had to make the same choice, I went with the 360. At the moment, it has better games, better online, more developers, and it's cheaper. Give the PS3 a few years before you get it.

hadn't played this in quite some time...

what a wonderful game

still fresh

free movement

almost perfect flow

Love it

i would rate it even higher now. seems to be very little animation bugs as well after the patch/update just very well executed

unfortanely next year 09 will not be haeded by booth:(

Well as the new guy came from a football management background let's hope that the gameplay philosophy doesn't change but we get a much more management sim type manager mode, that would so rock :)

Well as the new guy came from a football management background let's hope that the gameplay philosophy doesn't change but we get a much more management sim type manager mode, that would so rock :)

As long as they don't try to implement new pointless novelty features. Currently the game isn't trying to be a game per se, which is what makes it so good.

Also in some aspects they should glance at PES (only things regarding not actual gameplay... hrm). Like having a "Select Kicker/Set Piece Taker" on the start menu main page when taking a freekick (I don't think you can change the taker once he is setup for the freekick right?). And other things like changing the stats system to have all the stats on the same page so you can get a good overview. Streamline things a bit. ANd why not being able, on the formation screen when making subs etc, to press right or left to quickly skip up or down between the starting 11 and the subs etc. Currently doing that cancels any selection for substitution you have made. Which means you have to scroll sloooowly (or hold the analog stick down and tap the d-pad down for quicker scrolling, which you shouldn't have to).

I am really looking forward to it though, but I am also a bit worried that they might actually screw it up. Time will tell I guess. :)

Last edited:

Hey guys i know this isnt the best place to ask this question but im considering going back to console gaming after being a PC gamer and was wondering which would be a better choice the PS3 or 360? just your thoughts really is all i want.

I went with the PS3 because 1. I have been happy with Sony's products since the PS1, 2. and now that the PS3 has dropped it's price and the developers are getting a better grasp on programming for the PS3, the games are starting to come around. There is still a lot of potential as well since the games are still improving with time for the PS3. Also, note the Blu-Ray has more disk space, hence, I am just pointing at the potential of the system still.

I hear that the XBOX 360 has great online play and the PS3 lags? From the people that I have spoken with about their PS3 online here in the states, they are having no problems.

I am happy so far with my PS3, I just hope I don't get bored with video games like I used to, damn that would suck, and a lot of money would have been wasted! I am still on the edge if next-gen gaming is worth the price tag and game investment! BAH.

Last edited:

I am really looking forward to it though, but I am also a bit worried that they might actually screw it up. Time will tell I guess. :)

That is the problem with games like these. You are going to see ups and downs, steps forward, two steps back, etc. etc. simply because they have to find new gimmicks to keep their customers coming back for more. Hence, they throw in some new concept, new button actions, it doesn't work so great, so, by the next year, they "solve" this issue and have it refined. Next year, something new, not perfect, but, it's something to bring the gamers back. Same old story, and maybe that's why I got tired of winning eleven. It was the same thing with a few new animations, same ol' ML... yada yada. A year and a half goes by without gaming, and I am now here... playing FIFA again.

FIFA is beginning to feel better as I gain more experience with it! I do miss winning eleven though!

I am reasonably pleased with the PS3 (I like the controller) but the online play is fookin awful! just like it was on PS2. However Im going to get the 360 version when I get broadband fitted (due to the excellent online experience).. I really wish online was cross platform though!

Also in some aspects they should glance at PES (only things regarding not actual gameplay... hrm). Like having a "Select Kicker/Set Piece Taker" on the start menu main page when taking a freekick (I don't think you can change the taker once he is setup for the freekick right?).

This was in Fifa07 current gen and worked perfectly, at any set piece you held down R1 then moved the Dpad to scroll through your on pitch players to choose a kicker, it displays a graphical image with a summary of the relevant stats (freekick, curve, shot power, etc) and it was quite seamless to choose a new freekick or corner taker, why this was removed from next gen only EA can explain......

ANd why not being able, on the formation screen when making subs etc, to press right or left to quickly skip up or down between the starting 11 and the subs etc. Currently doing that cancels any selection for substitution you have made. Which means you have to scroll sloooowly (or hold the analog stick down and tap the d-pad down for quicker scrolling, which you shouldn't have to).

Again this was in current gen 07 and I seem to remember it was in 07 360 and UCL 360, why the hell they removed it just beggars belief, only thing you can do now is scroll with Dpad and stick at the same time to speed it up a bit.

I didn't know that trick about quicker scrolling with d-pad and analog, cheers guys :thumbup:

Yup, and the fucking retarted online substitions where if home team does one it cancels all the aways is ridiculous and I can't believe it wasn't fixed :(

I seriously would love to playtest EA's games before they release them... in fact months before so that bugs like this could be ironed out early...

I think they should let us "Members Of The Public" Play BETA versions of the game, then listen to our comments about bugs and potential improvements and then do their best to fix/implement the changes. Of course im living in a fantasy world and this will NEVER happen :(

This was in Fifa07 current gen and worked perfectly, at any set piece you held down R1 then moved the Dpad to scroll through your on pitch players to choose a kicker, it displays a graphical image with a summary of the relevant stats (freekick, curve, shot power, etc) and it was quite seamless to choose a new freekick or corner taker, why this was removed from next gen only EA can explain......

Again this was in current gen 07 and I seem to remember it was in 07 360 and UCL 360, why the hell they removed it just beggars belief, only thing you can do now is scroll with Dpad and stick at the same time to speed it up a bit.

Yeah, true. The FK one is in FIFA08 PC aswell. Works good.

I seriously would love to playtest EA's games before they release them... in fact months before so that bugs like this could be ironed out early...

I think they should let us "Members Of The Public" Play BETA versions of the game, then listen to our comments about bugs and potential improvements and then do their best to fix/implement the changes. Of course im living in a fantasy world and this will NEVER happen :(

Hell yeah. Or atleast have someone on forums like these. I mean, I can understand KONAMI don't attempt it since they are completely inept PR-wise. EA should do more attempts though, they are in the US and are a very "public" company with lots of PR etc.

Guys can someone post a link to the EA site where my uploaded goals are. I can't seem to find it. :)

Back
Top Bottom