FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I don't know what some people are talking about the game plays identical to before to me.

The ONE thing that still pisses me off to no end is the Mind reading abilities of the ai on pro or above, they can predict which way i'm going to cut before I even think of it. or how a slow as dirt (when I play them) MLS team can magically out run the World XI team in foot races. It's just cop out ai man.

Thats why I play on semi-pro. and it's the best game ever.

Last edited:

I just played two matches on Pro and it does seem different, play is more human, AI doesn't do the constant run to wing flawless dribble thing where if you block them from crossing on their left foot they flick back, dribble, cross on their right, a few times I blocked them off from crossing so instead they turned back and passed to the full back or a midfielder providing support, also goalkeepers in the two matches I played seemed more human, pushing away shots they previously might have held (shots which they really shouldn't have held).

The two matches were both UEFA cup matches so it's possible that the two teams I played (Copenhagen away and Rangers at home) were responsible for the differences rather than improvements since the update, need to play more against prem opponents. But the Rangers game especially I really enjoyed, I won 3-1 (their goal was a dumb mistake by me, I basically gave them the ball out of my keeper's hands), I played some wonderful football, passing movement, 1-2s, they didn't press continually so I could play it around and my players were making good runs so I could play some lovely stuff, sexy football as Gullit would say ;)

Response times also seemed improved, maybe it's the placebo effect because other people have posted the same thing? Need more posters to play and make reports I think :)

I played a 1 - 1 online game last night and there is a definite change. Only very subtle but it just felt better.

There is a patch, main reason is the 5v5 on-line functionality but some appear to be noticing slight improvements in general gameplay (whilst others are not).

Patch seems to be for Xbox 360 only so far. As a PS3 user, I'm awaiting the PS3 patch with eagerness.

Yeah, the world has been turned upside down. GOne are the days of PS and PES reigning supreme. Xbox and FIFA have taken over...I may have to buy an Xbox.

I didnt notice anything last night but i was only in be a pro mode

Maybe you can tell the difference in 1 vs 1, Someone has confirmed that you can change Dino now from the Arena though

The PS3 patch is definitely out - i downloaded it last night and played half a dozen or so 5 v 5 games online. Very impressed. No lag at all and very enjoyable after the 1st 10 mins when it was a bit school playground like with all 10 human players constantly running to the ball.

I like that you can choose to be 1 fixed player or "any" which gives you control of the players not under control of another human player.

Hats off to EA. I really thought this would be a messy lag fest if it ever turned up so am delighted to have it so soon and working so well.

Hi mates,

I played my first 3 games online and hum....
First played a guy who took Barcelona and I was Chelsea. I dominated him and lost 3-0 (3 counter attaks)...is Barcelona like Inter in PES?
Second game was very nice as I've beaten a guy 4-0 I was Liverpool and he was Juventus with 2 great goals !! Definitly better than playing CPU because against a Human I can make some trick moves :)
Third game was the most impressive !! I was Bayern against Arsenal and that was the best 0-0 I've made. Agreeive defense from both sides, magnificent goal saves and a good Van Persie on a side and Toni on mine.

Definitly loving this game !!

After the update I think it selects the nearest player to the ball much better, maybe it's just me but also the keepers react to quick rebounds after saving the first shot on goal rather than not reacting at all previously but I need to play more games.

Noticed a subtle change after the patch. My strikers seemed to make better off the ball runs.

Does anyone have a change log handy?

I just wish they put in a PES like super cancel. That would fix so many of my complaints with the game.

Noticed a subtle change after the patch. My strikers seemed to make better off the ball runs.

Does anyone have a change log handy?

I just wish they put in a PES like super cancel. That would fix so many of my complaints with the game.

Yes I agree That's my only problem with FIFA08 but minor because I'm really enoying it.

I think the Super Cancel will be available in FIFA09 because it must be a complicated script.

keepers SEEM TO be just improved even their reaction to the ball is much more realistic now. I see long ball saves and just reg saves in general very very nicely going into keepers hands and it no longer looks popped in.

in genral there HAVE BEEN gameplay engine tweaks its apparent for anyone that plays a realistic and more calculated game

Although there is a "super cancel" in Fifa it doesn't seem to work in the same way as it does in PES. I can use super cancel in Fifa to cancel a first time pass or the likes but it doesn't seem to allow me to take control of the player and move him. Might be wrong but that is how i find it. Can't say it bothers me too much - i very rarely used super cancel in PES and the situations i would use it in arise even less frequently in Fifa.

Although there is a "super cancel" in Fifa it doesn't seem to work in the same way as it does in PES. I can use super cancel in Fifa to cancel a first time pass or the likes but it doesn't seem to allow me to take control of the player and move him. Might be wrong but that is how i find it. Can't say it bothers me too much - i very rarely used super cancel in PES and the situations i would use it in arise even less frequently in Fifa.

it does for me. its strange but try to hold the cancel buttons for a second or tap them twice.

Yes Super Cancel is in FIFA08 but it's just to cancel a shoot or a passe...etc
but the main use of it in PES is to move your players where you want (interceptions, anticipations...etc)
I mean when you know during the half second that you made a bad cross or pass, you can move your targeted player to anticipate the interception of the opponent (I hope you understand what I mean sorry for my bad english)

Gameplay has chance since the patch. Speed is a bit higher, which results in better ball physics, the chance-your-player bug is gone (where you couldnt swithc to another player) and maybe the goalie is improved (dont know 4 sure).

i notice tchanges after the pacth too...
dont know how to explain it thoug..the game just feels better evan with me losing both games i played after the pacth..
everything just felt liter and smoother...

the chance-your-player bug is gone (where you couldnt swithc to another player).

Sorry to contradict you but this bug most certainly has not gone, I deliberately changed to full manual to test this and like before when the ball is headed clear from the opposing penalty area for example from a corner you're still locked out from changing the player selected until either the opponent or one of your guys touches the ball......

Definitely seems a positive improvement gameplay wise, on Professional the ref is much more neutral, opponents AI is less smart and more human, make mistakes more, give the ball away, much less of the same identical attacking type (ie 80% is dribble to corner, cross over the keeper), your keeper seems smarter and more responsive, jumps up and catches the ball more, punches or pushes the ball away more, only downside (if you call it that) is that Professional is now easier, I beat Chelsea in the league cup (3-1 AET) and Manchester Utd away (1-0), I've had 4 matches so far and in two of those have been given a goal by the opponent keeper either throwing the ball directly to my forward (against Copenhagen in UEFA cup) or throwing the ball to a defender who has one of my forwards really close and could tackle (against Chelsea), so these changes might mean I need to go up to World Class, but I'm on 33 Professional wins so gonna wait until I get the 50 wins on Professional achievement :)

Overall I feel the gameplay is slightly faster and certainly more responsive, considering I'm noticing that whilst using the relatively crappy Sheffield Wednesday players I would imagine players of good teams would notice it anymore? Anyone confirm increased responsiveness?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom