FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

One thing I'm finding is my player instead of heading or shooting when going for crosses near goal, the player tries to control the ball or takes an extra touch, this just results in jacking me off and missing sitters.. Am I missing something? All I'm doing is hitting shoot and direction on semi assist setting...

me too, I´ve lost too many goals from perfect crosses!

My player chests the ball instead of heading it. I only charge the button and let it go, like I do in the midfield and the player reacts normally.

Last edited:

Good game earlier against pepper63:

Portsmouth 2-1 Bolton

I took an early lead in the 3rd minute with a shot that went in off the bar AND the post :8): And then a Sol Campbell special 16 yarder put me 2 ahead! pepper63 battled well and got 1 back, but it was Pompey's day :)

Oh yeah, it was amazing hearing the "Play up Pompey" and the "Pompey til I die!" chants! :shock: :mryellow:

What the fuck is an ephinay?

I had a couple of seesions at FIFA over the past few days and it's finally clicking with me, too. When I first got it, I could see it was a reasonable enough game but the flaws agitated me. They still do to some extent but I'm now playing with far more fluency and starting to score some sweet goals and that helps to put the flaws out of my mind. It's great to have decent football game whilst I await PES to get out of the doldrums.

It's just occurred to me, you meant an epiphany? I had one of those once but it took ages to get the tube out of my butt.

hmm just played 4 more games, hating it again! hahahahaha i think its down to lag though and response times...

heh, just finished playing 3 matches myself. The first 2 were great, some lovely slick play and fianlly started to get some great headed flick-ons using Carew at Aston Villa.

The 3rd game had the most disappointing thing I've seen thus far. I was Norwich v Watford, 0-0 going into the last 10 minutes of a tight match, I play a low cross from the left, it deflects off a defender toward goal, the keeper goes down and parries it across the face of goal, the nearest cpu defender falls over the keeper (lol) towards the ball, but is now on his backside as my attacker runs in ready to slot home into open goal but jsut as he reaches the ball and I press shoot, he involuntarily jumps up over the ball and the defender and lands in the goal himself, I cannot turn him fast enough as the defender gets up and clears.

It got more annoying a couple of minutes later when I thread a perfect through-ball between the two CBs and my striker ran on to it perfectly, I take it on a stride with just the keeper to beat, I aim for the keepers left corner and press shoot, nothing happens, I press shoot again and the cpu defender nudges me off the ball and in an instant turns and plays a 50 yard pixel perfect long pass to a cpu striker. They didn't score but it summed up the worst things about this game.

Yet, even within these annoying moves, there were things happening that were really tremendously impressive and thrilling. If they just sort the flaws, this game is really very good.

I tell you what,Tim7 put some moves in this game..He was getting stuck in too,but my Bolton side battled back to show that a team managed by me will hold it's on in this league when the chance comes..Tim7 well played mate..:applause:

Yep, it was a classic Premiership encounter, tough tackling and good football all round :thumbup:

Me and CW played some coop FIFA on Sunday, and it was great! Really enjoyable playing with a mate. We did 2 FA Cups, and randomly chose our team. First off we were QPR but lost in the 2nd round, (first match!). Then our second attempt, we got Stoke, and played really well.

First off was a trip to Old Trafford :shock: That's right, worst possible draw, but amazingly we got lucky and defended well and got a 0-0 AET, it went to penalties. We won 4-2 on penalties, saving two of Man Utd's! Some of the tricks that Ronaldo pulled off were class, in one case he flicked a bouncing ball over my head on the wing, and then crossed in a beauty on the half volley, looked ace :)

Next round we got drawn away against Lincoln, and smashed them 5-2, a very open game, and quite a contrast to playing Man Utd, Lincoln struggled to keep the ball, and their control wasn't as good as Utd's, allowing us to get tackles in, and intercept passes. We took our chances well, as did they.

Next round we were pleased to be drawn against lowly Bury, however it just wasn't our day! Was a scrappy match with not much going on, but Bury won 2-0, the second an injury time penalty the cheeky CPU chipped right down the middle - bastards! They were keeping the ball well and frustrating us in the final 15 mins too, well played CPU.

More to come soon! We will win a trophy :lol: We play on World Class difficulty by the way.

Last edited:

Is the FA cup an option you can choose or just a custom tournament you made?

Tried a custom tournament with a mate last night choosing 8 teams between us that we could control and 6 more computer teams whose matches we would simulate,thus making a league comprising 14 clubs.
The clubs chosen all have there own grounds in the game,e.g.Bayern,Roma,Marseille etc.The whole point being to have a season where you can play in different stadiums.
Once again the game completely frustrates the hell out of you.EVERY game is played at the default stadium.More sloppy efforts on the part of EA.Are developers really so paranoid that people wont buy next years game if they include these options now.Please EA get it sorted.

Is the FA cup an option you can choose or just a custom tournament you made?

The FA Cup is a tournament already on there Coopz :) They've got the FA Cup, League Cup, and the Johnstons Paint Trophy from England

heh, just finished playing 3 matches myself. The first 2 were great, some lovely slick play and fianlly started to get some great headed flick-ons using Carew at Aston Villa.

The 3rd game had the most disappointing thing I've seen thus far. I was Norwich v Watford, 0-0 going into the last 10 minutes of a tight match, I play a low cross from the left, it deflects off a defender toward goal, the keeper goes down and parries it across the face of goal, the nearest cpu defender falls over the keeper (lol) towards the ball, but is now on his backside as my attacker runs in ready to slot home into open goal but jsut as he reaches the ball and I press shoot, he involuntarily jumps up over the ball and the defender and lands in the goal himself, I cannot turn him fast enough as the defender gets up and clears.

It got more annoying a couple of minutes later when I thread a perfect through-ball between the two CBs and my striker ran on to it perfectly, I take it on a stride with just the keeper to beat, I aim for the keepers left corner and press shoot, nothing happens, I press shoot again and the cpu defender nudges me off the ball and in an instant turns and plays a 50 yard pixel perfect long pass to a cpu striker. They didn't score but it summed up the worst things about this game.

Yet, even within these annoying moves, there were things happening that were really tremendously impressive and thrilling. If they just sort the flaws, this game is really very good.

it's the tradeoff my friend

You get a masterful set-up which can't be found in any other game :)

Why is shooting totally different in Arena mode?

It's head on theres really a mastery involved trying to get it right side to side HOWEVER it can be done...

PLUS you have to remeber Rholandino is like one of the most accurate strikers in the game and to always have him just boppling the ball makes you think you can do with anybody if you practice it in the arena NOT true :)

shooting i smanual in arena mode.

you should use manual anyway in game, takes mastering but opens up the game completely some of the shots you can hit as well as mishit are tremendous.

its not manual by default

its only manual when you change your config to manual

Coopz you sure as in arena mode lot of my shots go off target. I just guessed it must be on manual. I play with semi assist in matches.

Try putting it on manual then try it in the Arena :)

Your shots will go out for throw ins as mine did ;)

shooting i smanual in arena mode.

you should use manual anyway in game, takes mastering but opens up the game completely some of the shots you can hit as well as mishit are tremendous.

Well, I'm shooting on semi and the rest is on manual. That's enough for me ;)

Final score for THIS game from Bumperman aka tomba321

presentation 9.5
graphics 8.4
gameplay 9.0
longevity 9.0
sound including soundtrack 9.4
OVERALL: 8.8

*BAMPERNEROGOT*

Love the commentating, apart from one bloody line, which goes along the lines of:
Well done to the referee for letting them play on, actually they should do that more often, and have been criticised for not doing it enough!

They say it 1 out of 2 times the referee allows play-on.

Apart from that, its great. Like they talk about Carrick coming from Geordie-Land etc.
And Chelski vs Man Utd rivalry etc.

Actually I'd love to hear that sentence more often. The advantage rule definitely needs to be sorted, it's completely random and I've seen some stupid decisions that have made me want to smash my controller (my striker goes past the goalkeeper and shoots, the ball goes in and the referee whistles and points to the penalty spot because my player was brought down). It really pissed me off.

Love the commentating, apart from one bloody line, which goes along the lines of:
Well done to the referee for letting them play on, actually they should do that more often, and have been criticised for not doing it enough!

They say it 1 out of 2 times the referee allows play-on.

Make that 2/2.

Same for the offside whistle. Every time they agree with the referee.

"I've always said, being a linesman is the hardest job in football" - Andy Gray

LOL!! :lol:

My favourite is when it's level at half time and Tyler starts a line, fluffs, it goes "ughh", starts the line again with extra emphasis and then completes it, nice editing EA!

It's something like this.......

A strong first half from both side, they've both m "ugh"....

Then he repeats the full line correctly

A strong first half from both sides, they've both matched each other in almost every way.....

Last edited:

One thing I'm finding is my player instead of heading or shooting when going for crosses near goal, the player tries to control the ball or takes an extra touch, this just results in jacking me off and missing sitters.. Am I missing something? All I'm doing is hitting shoot and direction on semi assist setting...

I used to have a lot of problems with that but if you hold the hustle/jostle button (L1 in my configuration) and hit the shot button before the ball comes to you, the player adjusts better and hits the shot or header more often than not first time.

Back
Top Bottom