FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

One thing that really fucks me off about FIFA this year is playing every game at the Stadio de Las Artes or one of the generic stadiums. Something very trivial to most, I know, but it gets very boring for me. Was it too hard for EA to put a 'home stadium select' function in the editor like in the PES of old?

And no Bernabeu? A crime.

Agreed. Playing as Tranmere you only get to play in one stadium all season, apart from the twice you play a "bigger" team like Leeds. Gets very boring.

In Pro Evo the first thing I do is edit the names of all the stadiums to reflect their nearest English counterparts and assign them all, that Scandinavian stadium becomes Goodison Park, Blomfentein becomes Fratton Park etc...

Agreed. Playing as Tranmere you only get to play in one stadium all season, apart from the twice you play a "bigger" team like Leeds. Gets very boring.

In Pro Evo the first thing I do is edit the names of all the stadiums to reflect their nearest English counterparts and assign them all, that Scandinavian stadium becomes Goodison Park, Blomfentein becomes Fratton Park etc...

Same here mate. I think that over all fifa need to add a more editable aspect of the game for fifa 09! Such as you mention "stadium selection", more editable option for players(hight,weights, hairstyles, goal celebration etc), more stuff in create a player, choose the stats for the players after our likings. A lot of people love pes for the editable options and fifa would do good in looking at this. Another point thats bad in fifa is goal celebration! If you look at pes they are incredible in this department. I would love for fifa to add this feature with LOTS of goal celebrations, booth signature and normal celebration. I have started skipping the celebrations because its always the same and the bad player faces does not help either;) For a game that looks very good, its a shame to look at after scoring a goal. I think they need to look at another way to make faces for the game and get rid of the "monkey" faces as some have put it, maybe copy pes? Cause "most" players there look fantastic. Other than that I am sure they will look at some of the ai problems and the goal keepers, and hopefully fix some of the stadium looks (especially the English ones such as Emirates) I am putting my money on Fifa 09 and not on pes thats for sure!

Ps: Where are you from Jack Bauer if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited:

Who needs to go outside when you have the greatest soccer simulation of all time?

Editing? pfffff
Real leagues is where it's at, and FIFA already has them.

The manager mode and features are copy and pastes from 07 current gen, I guess they did this because adding all the leagues and players was a large task to do in one year, hopefully now they're in there they'll have more time and resources to add the further layers of substance and polish we're after.......

</apologist mode off>

I am personally interested in where they are going to take this Be a Pro Mode for Fifa 09.

Are they just going to continue tradition from current gen add CO OP and allow to play through Season or will they make it more like winning eleven Fantasita mode would much prefer something like this i think.

I'd like to see the latter, I posted a couple of examples I'd like to see previously but one I think would require less work for next time would be Be a Pro: Player Manager, you choose the club of your choice and are a 30 year old player manager at that club and you have 5 years (until your legs give out) to achieve certain objectives, for a small club eg Tranmere the objective is to get to the premiership/win a major trophy, for a big club like Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle the objective is to score a hat trick in the champions league final to seal a treble for the club......

One thing that really fucks me off about FIFA this year is playing every game at the Stadio de Las Artes or one of the generic stadiums. Something very trivial to most, I know, but it gets very boring for me. Was it too hard for EA to put a 'home stadium select' function in the editor like in the PES of old?

i think in general i would have liked more stadiums

The manager mode and features are copy and pastes from 07 current gen, I guess they did this because adding all the leagues and players was a large task to do in one year, hopefully now they're in there they'll have more time and resources to add the further layers of substance and polish we're after.......

</apologist mode off>

yeah this maybe true but i'm holding off thinking about fifa09 until sept 09.

Best fifa ever in my opinion and to be honest it might be the last we never know for sure

At the end of the day Fifa08 IMO is enough of a game to last us until next year, yes it has many flaws and bugs but the good still outweigh the bad for me which puts it ahead of any other football game this year.....

Does anyone feel theres a difficulty level missing? between SEMI-PRO and PROFESSIONAL (?)

On Semi-pro i dominate possession against the AI, the final score is usually 2 or 3 nill or more, depends on my opponent.

But on Professional the AI are almost perfect, passes, shooting and the keeper rarely lets anything past him!!

It feels like their should be another difficulty level in-between Semi-pro and Professional.

I felt the same as well for a while and was absorbing waves of attacks on Pro and usually getting outshot and outscored but then decided to try the advice of a post I saw on another FIFA board suggesting that the best defense is offense. I have team mentality set to All-Out Attack with pressure on full pitch and defense playing high and have had really good success in forcing the CPU play whcih has resulted in more turnovers and more possession time and scoring opportunities for me. As well I've found having the defense play high has actually assisted in cutting out opposition attacks as long as you keep your shape and don't throw yourself out of position unless the tackle is a sure thing.
Being aggresive though the whole pitch has worked out surprisingly well then, much better than just sitting back trying to defend and counter.
Anyhow I've won 3 out of 4 using this method with top wins of 3-0 and 4-1 and I feel as though I've reached that balance you're referring to. Just keep at it as you are bound to get better while the CPU is always going to stay at the same level!

Last edited:

Absolutely loving the game so far. There's just so much to win and do :applause:

One little niggling thing that I've started to notice is that none of my goals (And I've scored a fair few of them) ever seem to go into the far lower/top corner. They are always just off from that goal line position if you know what I mean. Anybody else notice this?

I find that in most matches there will be a realistic ebb and flow, the AI will have a period where they're controlling the play and I find myself really struggling to hold on, I've even had matches where I've conceded 6 corners in a row and thought the opponent would score any second, but then eventually if you weather the storm my team will grow in confidence and belief and start to get back into the game more and create a few chances and get the opponent on the back foot, the key is to take your chances when you're getting them......

Absolutely loving the game so far. There's just so much to win and do :applause:

One little niggling thing that I've started to notice is that none of my goals (And I've scored a fair few of them) ever seem to go into the far lower/top corner. They are always just off from that goal line position if you know what I mean. Anybody else notice this?

Hmm you mean if you're shooting from the right of the goal you never score across the keeper to the top/bottom left (or vice versa)? Can't say I've noticed that, scored goals to just about every point of the goal from every position I think......

For those who still want the game, Amazon are selling it for £24.97 (360 version) at the moment. I ordered a copy yesterday.

Three more games of PES2008, and it's back in the box again. The opposition players have invisible walls around them all the time, you're running towards the guy and pressing "pressure", meaning that when you're close enough you should stab-tackle. The guy stab-tackles a foot away from the CPU player, because he can't get through the invisible wall. Absolute shite.

No no no, you play it wrong. You can't just keep the pressure-button pressed and believe the CPU will do the work for you. You have to run for the ball yourself, and press the pressure-button when he is close enough for the tackle. It also helps releasing the sprint-button before doing the tackle, which gives you better control. And when you tackle, point the stick towards the ball.

PES 2008 is obviously a much deeper game than the way you try to play it.

Thats shit that is. Ive just won the league with Valencia on PRO mode and you dont even get a shot of a trophy or even a message saying well done. Ive worked my mellons of for this and you dont even see a trophy!!!. Im in a mood now, i hate not being appreciated!.:(

Thats true, and I dont mind that, but it would be nice to choose players hight, weights, goal celebration, home stadium etc. I cant see Inters Vieira suing EA for letting people mess with his weight.. Detail is the key-word here and I`m just so tired of playing in the same stadium and seeing the same crappy goal celebration with some porely made faces :roll: But I absolutely LOVE the game, and I think this is the closest we have seen so far as to the real thing, so therefore you get more hung up on those small things cause you feel its so dammed close to being the ultimate football game I guess..

all those small things are in the CG version of FIFA08

yeah the same here,i can't stand during a league to play 90% of my games in this stadium.it looks like all the games are the same plus no changes of weather doesn't help too.
but is it possible to play a league game during the night?is there an option somewhere?? because it's becoming really boring to play for instance a champions league game during the day...

No no no, you play it wrong. You can't just keep the pressure-button pressed and believe the CPU will do the work for you. You have to run for the ball yourself, and press the pressure-button when he is close enough for the tackle. It also helps releasing the sprint-button before doing the tackle, which gives you better control. And when you tackle, point the stick towards the ball.

PES 2008 is obviously a much deeper game than the way you try to play it.
As I said to you in another thread, you can only run in eight directions when you let go of sprint (sixteen with it). So if I try to run for the ball without pressing pressure, he will just run right past it.

Gameplay of Current gen fifa08 is as good as the next gen?
Current-gen and next-gen are two different games, current-gen has a few more features but next-gen has ten times better physics and is a much better game (in my opinion of course).

Lets face it PES2008 has turned out to be the biggest disappointment going. To start with when I first played it I thought "yep its the PES we know and love" but then.... it all went horribly wrong... Same bullshit CPU Deflections. In a cup mode slow defenders could catch fast strikers (STILL!! after all these years!) Same your player gets stuck running (oddly enough towards the touchline!) and you cant stop him and it goes out for a throw in. Same AWFUL manual passing system!

Stick to FIFA :) if you can cope with the lack of Response time and the awkward feeling of control over your players (which I am starting to get used to :))

Then you need training... Seriously.
To be honest I keep remembering how good Teamvision was and I'm tempted to go out and get it again, if only renting it for a few days again, and giving it another go. But I might wait until this patch is out, according to a source in one of the other forums they're claiming it will solve more than just one or two things.

Back
Top Bottom