FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I would maybe double check they're formations with their realife formations and change themn to what they oughta be along with changing their play mentalty that might do the trick. if evryones doin a 442 and is an all out offenseive team then you have a point winston then why not just change the team?

I'm not checking 500 teams real-life formations ;).

But I have tried this, set a really poor English League 2 team to 3-5-2 with all-out-attack mentality, but the problem lies in the super reponse times of the cpu players, particularly their defenders, and the cpu defenders abiltilty to play a perfect tackle (usually from behind) which results in a 50 yard pixel-perfect pass to a team-mate. I can see no difference at all from a low-stat League 2 defender and a Premier League defender...they're all indentical.

The other problem is the lack of attacking play by cpu full-backs. This is an intrinsic aspect of the 4-4-2 formation but all the cpu attacks involve only the front players. Attacking full-backs are fundamental, but they're not in the FIFA AI model.

It's lame when you brake down a cpu attack and think you can make a quick counter attack by playing a long ball down the wing expecting to see one of your attackers run into space, but as the screen scrolls to the side, you see the perfect line of 4 defenders come into view, like perfectly drilled soldiers that never leave their post. Even when they;re losing late in the game, the perfect back-4 stay back and are perfect at all times. It's almost laughable.

And this appears to be the same for every team. It seems that they've written one style of AI play and applied it to every team. It's so dull, repetitive and for all that people keep talking about FIFA as a simulation, this is not like real football at all. Not every game of football is a "patiently pass it around looking for an opening". There's so much more to football. I sincerely hope they address this in FIFA09.

Last edited:

You raise good points and well explained as well Winston, thank you. And I can't disagree with that last post. I played Newcastle in the league last night and then Carlisle in the cup shortly afterwards - there was a definite difference, I had 20% more possession, but you're 100% right about that defensive line.

Have you tried mentioning these things on the EA forums? That way they'll have a chance of seeing them and there's no excuse for next year.

(Do I get any points for not saying "stop repeating the same points over and over, you're boring us etc." like everyone does when I mention PES?)

I know just how you feel winston, that bugs me two, there seams to be no difference between the teams, is it possible to edit the comp teams formation in anyway?? Also on the unlock items is there anything worth unlocking apart from some of the away kits, I must have missed something, are not all the correct balls in the correct leagues when you play manager mode?

You raise good points and well explained as well Winston, thank you. And I can't disagree with that last post. I played Newcastle in the league last night and then Carlisle in the cup shortly afterwards - there was a definite difference, I had 20% more possession, but you're 100% right about that defensive line.

Have you tried mentioning these things on the EA forums? That way they'll have a chance of seeing them and there's no excuse for next year.

(Do I get any points for not saying "stop repeating the same points over and over, you're boring us etc." like everyone does when I mention PES?)

I've sent two big emails to both EA and Konami, so far all I've had back is an automated message from Konami saying they will respond within 72hrs... The konami letter will not make happy reading for them but may get a laugh from the poor sap who has to read them, if they even do, if it's like any other company it will be two or three plebs, with a list of stock answers..

I sent that video off to them (although thinking about it, if they see "fire him out of a f**king cannon" at the end, they might not be inclined to pass it on :mryellow:) and I got the same 72 hour message.

Can we please start an International "I dont want to play against Barcelona" campaign?

If your opponent selects Barca then I advise you to pick an International team and see what happens. I had a few guys just quit on me last night as I went and picked Argentina as if they had no idea how to change their team.

If they then persist in their Barca loving then quit

I'm with you CW I very rarely play when the other person chooses Barca, I sonetimes pick Barca as well then pick the same kit until they quit just to wind them up and sometimes I pick a league 2 club spend ages in teh formation screen, then quit, just to waste some of their time. Flipping Barca are super human, Even Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto and Messi are constatntly chasing back tackling your best forward. I must admit when I do play them and beat them, I love it and send a message to the loser. LOL.

The online leagues feature is something they got from the fans and it's fantastic.

Here's something we should suggest to them; when you set up a match, even if it's ranked, you should be able to set a star limit.

It's desperately needed now, in all football games.

is it possible to edit the comp teams formation in anyway??

Yes, you can go to the edit mode and change the formations of all teams (I'm not sure if they hold for Manager mode but they work in exhibition matches). It doesn't affect the AIs defensive supremecy.

I do find teams do feel different. when I play Lyon I am struggling to get the ball off them but next game I play Metz and had much more possession nd created more chances.

It is the defences that EA have cocked up on. no matter who you play the CB's are really good. getting past them is tough work and they generally always seem to be in the right position.

Winston I have had the CPU put crosses in from FK's rather than shoot on goal.

What I have done is start to play amateur for home games and semi-pro for away games, yes I am that poor I need to play on amateur.
This works for me because I'm struggling to score goals, this gives me a chance at home because teams tend not to be very attacking on amateur, while making me more than happy to pick up a point away from home.. the only thing is the bloody "must win league" scenario from the board.. Must be Roman Abramovich, sack here I come..

I'm with you CW I very rarely play when the other person chooses Barca, I sonetimes pick Barca as well then pick the same kit until they quit just to wind them up and sometimes I pick a league 2 club spend ages in teh formation screen, then quit, just to waste some of their time.

:lmao: Fucking genius :)

i just want someone to find a cheat to give me infinite points, then i can unlock balls, boots and shirts

i just wanna play the fucking game and not have to unlock stuff

i guess i was just spoilt on previous pro evo patches where you can add anything you basically what you wanted

No I tend to agree with you.

the marketplace is becoming bad with 'extra" cost items that should have already been in game content. tiger woods 08 now has a new course but it's 400 points then you have a new traick fopr forza2 and it's also 400 points...then this year al the extra stadiums classic ones for mlb2k7 were alot of points and alst years madden 07 had about 4 stdiums but they cost about 20 bucks to get/

I tend to disagree with the statement made about two poor football games.

FIFA is a pleasure to play just because it has made such a remarkable change since FIFA 07, its not perfect no, and it still need to be improved further, but i can appreciate what EA have tried to do with FIFA 08, they have listened and made appropriate changes to make FIFA 08 a good all round game.

To make EA Sports and FIFA a widely respected game for the consecutive years to come, they need to implement the dynamic weather system, improve resonse times and alter the way the goalkeepers interact to what is happening on the pitch. They need to take more time out to study the league formats and apply this to their managerial side of the game.

PES has too many faults that need to be ironed out, the games needs starting again from scratch, but Konami's large fan base are that taken by the name of "Pro Evolution Soccer" Seabass can get away with making dire editions each year, because he knows with little work it will still sell.

It's a case of people coming together to take on Konami so they realise we wont accept an updated version of the same engine year on year.

agree kinda like 2ksports now. their basketball game was perfect last year and they screwed it up this year

I'm not checking 500 teams real-life formations ;).

But I have tried this, set a really poor English League 2 team to 3-5-2 with all-out-attack mentality, but the problem lies in the super reponse times of the cpu players, particularly their defenders, and the cpu defenders abiltilty to play a perfect tackle (usually from behind) which results in a 50 yard pixel-perfect pass to a team-mate. I can see no difference at all from a low-stat League 2 defender and a Premier League defender...they're all indentical.

The other problem is the lack of attacking play by cpu full-backs. This is an intrinsic aspect of the 4-4-2 formation but all the cpu attacks involve only the front players. Attacking full-backs are fundamental, but they're not in the FIFA AI model.

It's lame when you brake down a cpu attack and think you can make a quick counter attack by playing a long ball down the wing expecting to see one of your attackers run into space, but as the screen scrolls to the side, you see the perfect line of 4 defenders come into view, like perfectly drilled soldiers that never leave their post. Even when they;re losing late in the game, the perfect back-4 stay back and are perfect at all times. It's almost laughable.

And this appears to be the same for every team. It seems that they've written one style of AI play and applied it to every team. It's so dull, repetitive and for all that people keep talking about FIFA as a simulation, this is not like real football at all. Not every game of football is a "patiently pass it around looking for an opening". There's so much more to football. I sincerely hope they address this in FIFA09.

you know what this MIGHT be the case BUT WE/PES i felt was guilty of this VERY EXACT thing when it went into higher difficulties as wel just didn't look as good in motion LOL Either way I wouldn't suggest editing all that BUT playmakers go cazy with his NBA Live edits like me(we edit absolutely everything with the game down to about all nba players attributes to get the game running realistic)

jack your six reasons video was great good work thank you for exposing this game for what it is...

you know what this MIGHT be the case BUT WE/PES i felt was guilty of this VERY EXACT thing when it went into higher difficulties

It's certainly true that in PES on higher difficulties, the teams are given stat boost to make them play better, but even then, they still push players forward and are somtimes a defensive shambles. That is one thing I like about PES is that the cpu teams do make mistakes and do get out of shape.

With FIFA, and I recall Joe Booth saying something about how if one cpu player gets out of position, another will cover the hole he left.....well, that's all well and good for a well drilled team, but they've used that model for every single team in every single league, so every team plays this perfect football, never leaving a hole anywhere and so every single match is just the exact same tactical experience as the previous. It turns every match into a game of chess and is just too annoying to be bothered with. For me, it kills stone dead the fun, credibility and longevity of the game.

PES used to keep me coming back for more (although PES6 and PES2008 certainly didn't), but FIFA just doesn't have that effect. However, if they work on the AI to add variety, distinctiveness and mistakes, it could be so much better.

So the real debate is that there is no debate.

They can't fix it now with a patch as we all know PES20008 came out and SOME were hoping that Fifa 08 was just a stand by for it til PES2008 came out which turned out tobe NOT the case at all. end result

fifa 08 's engine IS next gen PES2008 is not and THEY (Konami) have a lot of new engine work they should do before we REALLY can say it's anything close to fifa 08

I'm sorry but ANYONE calling FIFA 08 shite is a lunatic and IF that Lunatic mentions PES2008 as being better then they must have been dropped on the floor when they was a baby LOL

In all seriousness though.

and all bashing aside.

Fifa 08 is SO much better than any fifa game in the past that it should be called a miracle work

A quick question about Fifa 08.

On the demo I remember playing with the red/white blue/white Nike Total 90 Aerow balls. On the full game I can only play with the hi vis Aerow that I've bought from the shop. Are the Red/white Blue/white Aerows in the game?

Cheers

Anybody?

If you play a friendly for example, Arsenal v Man Utd, the white/blue Aerow is used. And if you play a Premier League as well. So they are in the game.

There is an option before each friendly or at the beginning of a competition where you can select which ball you want to use.

Is their any way of changing the stadium i play in for a CUP FINAL?

Ive just played a League Cup Final in Manager Mode, i expected it to be played at Wembley but it was at some crappy stadium :(

So the real debate is that there is no debate.

They can't fix it now with a patch as we all know PES20008 came out and SOME were hoping that Fifa 08 was just a stand by for it til PES2008 came out which turned out tobe NOT the case at all. end result

fifa 08 's engine IS next gen PES2008 is not and THEY (Konami) have a lot of new engine work they should do before we REALLY can say it's anything close to fifa 08

I'm sorry but ANYONE calling FIFA 08 shite is a lunatic and IF that Lunatic mentions PES2008 as being better then they must have been dropped on the floor when they was a baby LOL

In all seriousness though.

and all bashing aside.

Fifa 08 is SO much better than any fifa game in the past that it should be called a miracle work
I totally agree with everything you said. I didn't intend to buy FIFA because i used to hate it, i actually got it free with my PS3.

This game is brillant, its as close to realism you can get. Im a MASSIVE Pro Evo fan but i put my hands up and admit that PES 2008 is utter shite, some people need to admit it and quit the fanboy bullshit.

I am a huge PES fan and haven't played FIFA since 98. Finally FIFA is back and is a class game this year, esecially on an HDTV:)

I am a huge PES fan and haven't played FIFA since 98. Finally FIFA is back and is a class game this year, esecially on an HDTV:)

One of the ONLY complaints i have about the game othert than adboards weather and MORE stadiums...

For me i play it humbly on a 30 inch samsung crt widescreen hdtv.

The tele cam is great but NOt on my simple setup i tried it over at the studio loubnge ona 40 inch samsung lcd hdtv and although there was blurring it looked perfect

Yes, you can go to the edit mode and change the formations of all teams (I'm not sure if they hold for Manager mode but they work in exhibition matches). It doesn't affect the AIs defensive supremecy.

may as well get changing all those, as I can't put in Championship and Prem , thanks to PES's messed up editing sytem...

I'm starting to really enjoy FIFA !!

At the begining I was confused because I was (by reflex) playing it "like" PES. I mean I was trying to get some good opportunities with just 5-6 passes.

Now playing as a "true" simulation, you can do many many different situations, I mean I use all the tactics, I'm starting to masterize some dribbling skills, and I'm getting familiar with the shooting styles.

My only regret is that you cannot "super cancel" when you make a bad pass or I don't know how to do that. For example when I know that my pass will be lost, I don't know how I can take direct control of the target player to anticipate the bad pass or cross. Any idea?

And someone has mentionned this and I totally agree...Playing semi assisted is wayyy better because you can easily see the difference between the players (passing and shooting accuracy and power, and also the strong and weak foot ability)

Back
Top Bottom