FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

thanx placebo. so that would make it then that next friday, the 2nd of november is the 6 week mark.

it would just be nice if they released a bit of info regarding it. just to let us know. it was just basically announced, then sweeped under the carpet. i think it has the potential to be huge. could take the online gaming to a new level.

No human team can knock the ball about with the pinball-like speed in PES 2008 - players can knock one-timers to and fro like clockwork up the pitch in a matter of seconds and literally turn their entire body around on a dime and pivot and change direction when running with no loss of acceleration - that's inhuman and unrealistic to me. It's just too fast and the players move and react like robots.
Look I loved PES for years and am still hopeful that Konami will get their shite together but in my opinion PES 2008 is a great offering of a footy video GAME not a simulation. Nothing wrong with preferring it over FIFA as many certainly will find it more fun and entertaining but personally it's just a bit too arcade for me.

i went into gamestop today to bring back fifa(got the orange box) and they had a big screen behind the counter with a pes2008 demo running on loop(ps2 version btw), i haveto agree with you, it was soooooo fast and like you said, pinball football, it was like i was watching a sensible soccer remake but in 3d, it felt so robotic or something, one thing fifa had this year without doubt was excellent game pace & natural looking game flow, this demo was like it was in fast forward or something...

i went into gamestop today to bring back fifa(got the orange box) and they had a big screen behind the counter with a pes2008 demo running on loop(ps2 version btw), i haveto agree with you, it was soooooo fast and like you said, pinball football, it was like i was watching a sensible soccer remake but in 3d, it felt so robotic or something, one thing fifa had this year without doubt was excellent game pace & natural looking game flow, this demo was like it was in fast forward or something...

have fun with the orange box:)

i love this game, still has me hooked

my bro who has always hated fifa, and i mean hated has bought this game for he's 360...couldv'e knocked me down with a feather so you could...cunt! lol

My brother-in-law bought it a few days ago and was blown away, but now he's back on PES. He won't give it a chance because he's losing - he's the kind of guy who will tell you how wonderfully realistic a game is when he's winning, and how utterly fucking shit and an embarrassment to mankind it is when he's losing (he's over 40 now and he's literally less mature than his 13-year-old son). He's holding sprint down for 90 minutes and wondering why his players are knackered at half time... But, oh well.

I still love the game but, now that I'm no longer a part of FIFA Soccer Blog, I can be a bit more forthcoming with the issues I have with it. :) I don't have many, but as always, if you compare the reaction times to those in PES you feel a bit cheated by EA. I love the game but I do wish it was less cumbersome, I can't beat a man, ever. It's just too delayed.

Long term play has resulted in the same feelings for me, Jack. I had a great amount of passion for the game upon first playing it, and put in many hours into the offline play.

Online play though, has been incredibly frustrating. Response times are ridiculously bad - can you imagine Halo 3 getting away with such poor responses in-game? People just wouldn't play it. There's so many irritances (both on and offline) that really stop the gaming from being truly great. I now completely agree with those 8 out 10 scores now; in fact they are probably almost too generous. Single player is alot of fun, but little niggles in that also tend to irritate over time.

I'm kind of at the end of my tether with it in truth. I've also ruined online play by constantly playing ranked games against my brother and fucking up my win/loss stats. The only way I might put the disc in the drive again is if there's a way to reset my online FIFA profile (which would result in a loss of about 40,000 points). Does anyone know if there's anyway I can reset my online profile? My fucked stats mean I can't get my rank up at all now, and it's ruined it for me.

I think one more year behind the scenes should result in a bigger and better game, yet again. I'm looking forward to FIFA 09 now...

My brother-in-law bought it a few days ago and was blown away, but now he's back on PES. He won't give it a chance because he's losing - he's the kind of guy who will tell you how wonderfully realistic a game is when he's winning, and how utterly fucking shit and an embarrassment to mankind it is when he's losing (he's over 40 now and he's literally less mature than his 13-year-old son). He's holding sprint down for 90 minutes and wondering why his players are knackered at half time... But, oh well.

I still love the game but, now that I'm no longer a part of FIFA Soccer Blog, I can be a bit more forthcoming with the issues I have with it. :) I don't have many, but as always, if you compare the reaction times to those in PES you feel a bit cheated by EA. I love the game but I do wish it was less cumbersome, I can't beat a man, ever. It's just too delayed.

Jack will you try Pro Evo this year or will you give it a miss? I too love Fifa and despite its issues, I am faced with the prospect of a non Pro Evo year

thanx placebo. so that would make it then that next friday, the 2nd of november is the 6 week mark.

it would just be nice if they released a bit of info regarding it. just to let us know. it was just basically announced, then sweeped under the carpet. i think it has the potential to be huge. could take the online gaming to a new level.

Well personally I don't give a toss about 5v5 as it's not available in Asia, what I'd like to see is some bug fixes and gameplay tweaks with the update when it comes out, some shitty bugs in the game which should be fixed, also a few annoying things such as the referee's bias towards the AI for freekicks + their unrealistic accuracy at taking freekicks makes it annoying, obviously EA being EA it's unlikely they'll fix any of their bugs but one can but hope.

I'm still greatly enjoying manager mode but some matches are really frustrating, the AI scores many different types of goals against me but the most common is definitely the sideline deep cross over the goalkeeper's head resulting in a tap in, it pisses me off because it's one of the few occasions my keeper is really dumb and they do it all the time, it'd be like playing PES and the AI keeps doing cutback goals.......

I'm kind of at the end of my tether with it in truth. I've also ruined online play by constantly playing ranked games against my brother and fucking up my win/loss stats. The only way I might put the disc in the drive again is if there's a way to reset my online FIFA profile (which would result in a loss of about 40,000 points). Does anyone know if there's anyway I can reset my online profile? My fucked stats mean I can't get my rank up at all now, and it's ruined it for me.

Errr maybe I read this wrong, but the game is fucked up for you because you don't have stats which show you won lots of games? Are you really that desperate to be a "winner" that you let the enjoyment of the game be taken away? I'm really glad I don't have that kind of mentality, I think I've lost about 80% of my online games so far and I really don't care, I play to enjoy the game, not stress about my ranking in the online world......

No offence intended just surprised someone cares so much about online ranking and other crap :)

Jack will you try Pro Evo this year or will you give it a miss? I too love Fifa and despite its issues, I am faced with the prospect of a non Pro Evo year
The temptation is there because of the response time but I don't think I will. The demo is practically the same as the final version (several guys on my MSN list, including PES fanboys, confirm that), and I hated the demo. There might as well not be a midfield, you can run through them and score whenever you feel the need. Usually I get 0-0s and 1-0s v the CPU in PES, I've always found it reasonably challenging, but in the PES2008 demo I was murdering them every game (on the top difficulty), so there goes single-player. And I don't want non-stop online matches v Barcelona - so what's the point?

At least the CPU is challenging on FIFA (even if it cheats out of its arse on the higher levels - please EA, copy whatever the hell you want from PES, but not the speed and not the CPU cheats), and more importantly there's online leagues in FIFA - which is something I've wanted for years.

Last year I had the same feeling; I'd play UEFA CL and then stick the demo of PES6 on, and for a moment I'd be in awe at the response time and desperate for the game. But I bought it, sold it, re-bought it and sold it again constantly, because five minutes of Barcelona bum-boys and their cut-backs was enough to bring me back to my senses.

The temptation is still there though. Even though I know there's nothing in PES2008 for me. I know it's just desperation for a perfect football game and fantasising that it is out there and I just haven't played it yet. But I am still tempted. :eh:

Why are you no longer part of the Fifa Soccer Blog?

I am still finding lots of really silly flaws with this. How 3rd rate players can EASILY tackle 1st rate players.... Its very difficult once your passed someone to Outsprint them with a FAST player!...

I have scored a couple of belters though. Especially a cracker with Rooney after Gareth Barry had just scored at the other end with a nice Free-Kick that had me out of my seat! But then the game is just too frustrating with the lack of control that I still feel. I played PES 2008 in Virgin in Bristol the other night on a PS3 and it felt different having played FIFA for the whole day beforehand. PES still feels like a Cheap PS2 game as opposed to a Next Gen PS3/360 game... Will still get it though.

hey =] I have a question about PS3's FIFA 08 =]
Can I do a cup with 32 random teams (I choose them) when I choose 16 and a friend choose 16? and then we play with them one vs each other?
Cause we did it a lot on PES, and now I'll probably will buy FIFA 08, so I want to be sure that I can do that.
and two more questions:
1. Can I change the game speed like the other FIFA versions?
2. Can I use the arrow buttons despite using the analogs?
thanks =]

Last edited:

8 for me and 8 for my friend? or just 8 (4 for me and 4 for him)?
No, eight in total.

So if you're two people, four each. If you're four people, two each. If you're eight people, one each.

Not if you use the right stick to keep knocking the ball ahead of you as you run, that's what I do and it works fine......
You realise this is widely regarded as a cheat that only cheating cunts use, the "sprint glitch"?

I didn't realise this myself until the CW v JayD situation arose a few weeks ago...

Damn it =[
Thanks for help =]
I'm in a big dilemma which game to buy... PES or FIFA... because of the slow-downs on the PES...

Back
Top Bottom